any news on the 2017 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
any news on the 2017 mdx?

Surprised that we havent heard anything. When we got our 2015 last year, mid february, the 2016s just got out. Its almost end of month and we havent heard anything on the mmc model. Major overhaul coming?
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Surprised that we havent heard anything. When we got our 2015 last year, mid february, the 2016s just got out. Its almost end of month and we havent heard anything on the mmc model. Major overhaul coming?
Most likely coming late 2017 as a 2018 model. Other than that, not much details are out yet.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Temple of Vtec has some photos:

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - 2017 MDX MMC spotted in LA
Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
I really hope that rear camo is hiding dual exhausts and also that they are hiding the badging because a new engine is coming out.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Redesigned and Reengineered 2017 Acura MDX to Debut at 2016 New York International Auto Show - Honda News
Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Acura teases tougher looking 2017 MDX for New York

From Autoblog.com

Acura is teasing its redesigned 2017 MDX with this orange-tinged rendering ahead of the three-row SUV's reveal at the 2016 New York Auto Show on March 23. The luxury automaker promises big changes for the latest model, including "substantial design enhancements, added luxury comfort and convenience features, and advanced new powertrain technology." Unfortunately, the company doesn't offer further details about those general promises.

The folks at the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, CA, have much bolder styling ready for the 2017 MDX. While these lines aren't as razor-sharp as the Acura Precision Concept from the 2016 Detroit Auto Show, this SUV subtly evokes the sedan's honed look. For example, the chiseled shapes around the hood and grille are crisp, and the front and rear fenders are highly sculpted, which gives the MDX a tough demeanor. This teaser image makes the lower fascia appear a little busy because there's so much happening down there, but we're withholding judgment until the real thing debuts.

We're also curious about the additional powertrain advancements Acura promises because the automaker just updated the MDX last year with its nine-speed automatic gearbox and twin-clutch Super Handling All-Wheel Drive. The company also added expanded availability of its AcuraWatch active safety suite to the 2016 model.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
The rendering of the 2017 MDX looks promising. Looking forward to seeing actual pictures of the 2017 MDX from the Chicago Auto Show. I hope the Diamond Grille blends in well with the "refresh" update.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The new 2017 MDX's new powertrain will be taken from the 2015 CR-V. Connectivity will be two cans and a string while the luxury comfort features will be a down pillow placed on the seat - that way they can also do away with the height adjustable seat.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
The new 2017 MDX's new powertrain will be taken from the 2015 CR-V. Connectivity will be two cans and a string while the luxury comfort features will be a down pillow placed on the seat - that way they can also do away with the height adjustable seat.
Hahahah wow you are such a cynic. The worst part about everything you mentioned above was the crv powertrain.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Rendering looks promising. If it looks similar to that, looks like my plan of purchasing after my lease us done is up in the air.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

So here is the issue with SH-AWD. The majority of customers (except that tiny percentage here on the board) know nothing about AWD systems and believe that they are all equal.

Why bother adding cost and weight if the buyer doesn't care? the flagship Acura (which is a good car) doesn't sell, the TLX (which is a ugly, boring car with halfway decent tech sells. Me? I wouldn't own the TLX if I won it on Wheel of Fortune.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
So here is the issue with SH-AWD. The majority of customers (except that tiny percentage here on the board) know nothing about AWD systems and believe that they are all equal.

Why bother adding cost and weight if the buyer doesn't care? the flagship Acura (which is a good car) doesn't sell, the TLX (which is a ugly, boring car with halfway decent tech sells. Me? I wouldn't own the TLX if I won it on Wheel of Fortune.
So you're saying that quattro, symetrical awd, xdrive, etc should all be removed.

We get it that you dont like the design. But looks are subjective. The tlx is outselling the q50 and lexus is. I guess it looks good to some people. Its kinda like you thinking that your wife/gf is hot but to others she probably looks ugly and boring...
The following 4 users liked this post by mondster:
neoshi (02-24-2016), nore03 (03-16-2016), pnoi521 (02-25-2016), Tony Pac (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mondster
So you're saying that quattro, symetrical awd, xdrive, etc should all be removed.

We get it that you dont like the design. But looks are subjective. The tlx is outselling the q50 and lexus is. I guess it looks good to some people. Its kinda like you thinking that your wife/gf is hot but to others she probably looks ugly and boring...
I'm not saying that the AWD variants should be done away with, I'm saying that Acura seems to believe that customers don't care - and they are probably right for the segment.

Oh, and everybody thinks my wife is hot - because she is.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

I have never had a single person tell me my TLX is ugly, most everyone I know says it's beautiful and I know they wouldn't lie to me. There's a reason why TLX sales in 2015 were at 47k. Why would Acura remove SH-AWD from their line, something they're praised for?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Originally Posted by ceb

MDX is based on Pilot Platform, CR-V is the RDX platform. MDX will probably retain the 3.5L earthdream engine and maybe have the new Acura/Honda 10spd automatic transmission vs the current ZF9 speed.

Highly doubt the intro of a turbo 4 model or any 4 cylinder variant.

Acura is going with the AWD option as it's a great one to have. Many people consider AWD to be a main component when buying a car mainly for safety reasons. AWD is much easier to handle in inclement weather such as FL downpours vs a RWD or FWD car. Whether it's a Haldex System or Acura SH-AWD or X-Drive, AWD is AWD and people care about having it.

Acura has done a great job upgrading SH-AWD but they are quite a bit behind the times with their AWD system. X-drive does torque vectoring on both acceleration and deceleration while SH-AWD only goes during acceleration. Does this matter to 95% of AWD owners? Nope, but people still like to compare their cars and how A is better than B and all of these features and "trumps" add to the emotion of buying a new car.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:47 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I'm really interest in what the "advanced new powertrain technology" is.

A tuned down version of the NSX twin-turbo V6 ?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

Never. The NSX V6 will probably never be used in any mainstream Acura application. It is a custom built (75 deg angle) unique design that they even subcontracted the block casting. Way too expensive for anything under six figures. Maybe if they amp up the next RLX, but I doubt they will move the RLX to six figure territory.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

10AT is my guess.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
MDX is based on Pilot Platform, CR-V is the RDX platform. MDX will probably retain the 3.5L earthdream engine and maybe have the new Acura/Honda 10spd automatic transmission vs the current ZF9 speed.

Highly doubt the intro of a turbo 4 model or any 4 cylinder variant.

Acura is going with the AWD option as it's a great one to have. Many people consider AWD to be a main component when buying a car mainly for safety reasons. AWD is much easier to handle in inclement weather such as FL downpours vs a RWD or FWD car. Whether it's a Haldex System or Acura SH-AWD or X-Drive, AWD is AWD and people care about having it.

Acura has done a great job upgrading SH-AWD but they are quite a bit behind the times with their AWD system. X-drive does torque vectoring on both acceleration and deceleration while SH-AWD only goes during acceleration. Does this matter to 95% of AWD owners? Nope, but people still like to compare their cars and how A is better than B and all of these features and "trumps" add to the emotion of buying a new car.
My point exactly - but - the SH-AWD is heavy, complicated and expensive compared to the AWD found in the RDX.

While people on this board are saying "why no SH-AWD?" folks in the real world (and reviewers who live in their own world) haven't noticed and don't care.

The average consumer would take increased fuel economy (even in these days) over a complicated SH-AWD system that they don't understand the benefits of.

Just as Audi's quattro is evolving (because of the above reasons), I suspect that you'll see more simplified AWD systems replacing the state of the art ones - unless Acura decides to make the MDX their flagship.

And I bet I'm right on the pillows

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my comments about the TLX - but - to me it just seems uninspired and boring - kind of Camry like. Even the Accord looks sportier to me. I'm sure that technically it is a fine car.

I tend to change my cars often for the latest and greatest but if I had a choice between my TSX tech wagon and the TLX, I'd keep my TSX with all of the outdated tech - but that's just me.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
10AT is my guess.
POWERTRAIN implies powerplant tech down to exhaust. DRIVETRAIN implies transmission and driveline. So POWERTRAIN here probably means the new exposed exhaust coming out of where the rear reflectors are now and the rear reflectors being moved higher on the bumper (or vertical, I can't remember what they did anymore).
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neoshi
POWERTRAIN implies powerplant tech down to exhaust. DRIVETRAIN implies transmission and driveline. So POWERTRAIN here probably means the new exposed exhaust coming out of where the rear reflectors are now and the rear reflectors being moved higher on the bumper (or vertical, I can't remember what they did anymore).
Huh? What? A simple wiki seach answers the question:

The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels.[1] This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain.

Changes to the powertrain can include motor and tranny. Changes to the drivetrain do not.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondu
Huh? What? A simple wiki seach answers the question:

The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels.[1] This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain.

Changes to the powertrain can include motor and tranny. Changes to the drivetrain do not.
Eh ok sure. Just trying to tell him that he mentioned a tranny when talking about powertrain, which is incorrect. I guess I'm looking at it more from the way mfgs separate the warranties.

Ehh maybe I'm just mixing it all up. Whenever I read spec sheets, the drivetrain sheets are always just about the tranny, and the powertrain refers to motor stuff, but I guess I see where some mfgs just call everything from motor to tranny and all just simply powertrain.

Last edited by neoshi; 02-25-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
My point exactly - but - the SH-AWD is heavy, complicated and expensive compared to the AWD found in the RDX.

While people on this board are saying "why no SH-AWD?" folks in the real world (and reviewers who live in their own world) haven't noticed and don't care.

The average consumer would take increased fuel economy (even in these days) over a complicated SH-AWD system that they don't understand the benefits of.

Just as Audi's quattro is evolving (because of the above reasons), I suspect that you'll see more simplified AWD systems replacing the state of the art ones - unless Acura decides to make the MDX their flagship.

And I bet I'm right on the pillows

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my comments about the TLX - but - to me it just seems uninspired and boring - kind of Camry like. Even the Accord looks sportier to me. I'm sure that technically it is a fine car.

I tend to change my cars often for the latest and greatest but if I had a choice between my TSX tech wagon and the TLX, I'd keep my TSX with all of the outdated tech - but that's just me.
Sh-awd is what will save the Acura brand. Without it we have fancy hondas. Seriously, look around, what differentiates a honda from acuras these days? Almost nothing.

They are doing a really poor job of being a "luxury" brand and simultaneously a poor job of being a "sporty" brand. Taking away shawd would give us slightly warmed over hondas. The new rdx is vanilla, the new mdx is hanging on, the rlx is a joke beside the e class and 5 series. The tlx (I actually like) but is also generic asian design. Ilx (I had a loaner hybrid) no further comment.

So I think they HAVE TO keep the shawd. But they need to expand, either go in towards luxury or sport. You can't do both unless you go up in pricepoint and NO ONE I know would spend 90k on an mdx or rlx.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Pro

Eh ok sure. Just trying to tell him that he mentioned a tranny when talking about powertrain, which is incorrect. I guess I'm looking at it more from the way mfgs separate the warranties.

Ehh maybe I'm just mixing it all up. Whenever I read spec sheets, the drivetrain sheets are always just about the tranny, and the powertrain refers to motor stuff, but I guess I see where some mfgs just call everything from motor to tranny and all just simply powertrain.
My main point was do you really think the mention of "advanced new powertrain technology" will only entail exposing the exhaust tips?

Historically when this has been mentioned, there would be a change to the engine or transmission (or both) in the upcoming model in some form or fashion.

Last edited by hondu; 02-26-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

My main point was do you really think the mention of "advanced new powertrain technology" will only entail exposing the exhaust tips?

Historically when this has been mentioned, there would be a change to the engine or transmission (or both) in the upcoming model in some form or fashion.
I agree with you completely. They would never say powertrain is exposed exhaust tips. It must be something engine wise or transmission.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Wasn't there rumors that Acura was still developing 3 new engines, for the near future? I wonder if pretty much all Acuras will be turbo'd soon enough. I mean, fuel economy can be increased, as well as power (dat torque low down!!).

Is there any chance the 2017 will be turbo'd? I have no idea what engine they'd turbo, but curious, nonetheless.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Wasn't there rumors that Acura was still developing 3 new engines, for the near future? I wonder if pretty much all Acuras will be turbo'd soon enough. I mean, fuel economy can be increased, as well as power (dat torque low down!!).

Is there any chance the 2017 will be turbo'd? I have no idea what engine they'd turbo, but curious, nonetheless.
I really really hope so, but I also hope not. I hope so because a turbo 3.5 in the mdx would be AMAZING. But I hope not, because knowing honda, they will try putting in a small turbo 2.5l engine.

Mazda currently has a new 2.5 turbo with 250hp and 310 torque. Nothing wrong with that torque, but I always feel like when they do this stuff, it falls flat on its' face.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
I really really hope so, but I also hope not. I hope so because a turbo 3.5 in the mdx would be AMAZING. But I hope not, because knowing honda, they will try putting in a small turbo 2.5l engine.
I doubt it would be a turbo 3.5L V6. If anything, maybe a new 5 cylinder turbo. But I have zero to base this on, besides a turbo 4 cyl being pretty small for such a large and heavy vehicle. Maybe a 2.5L 4 cyl would cut it, but I dunno.

Anyway, what's wrong with a 2.5L turbo? You'll get way better performance out of it than an NA V6. Fuel economy? I dunno. Likely would be no better. Maybe even worse. Is it just the perception of a four banger in a top end SUV that feels off?

I'd imagine that Honda would want to keep the power more or less the same in the MDX. Maybe a modest boost, but nothing crazy. For that reason alone, I don't see a v6 3.5 turbo happening.

Mazda currently has a new 2.5 turbo with 250hp and 310 torque. Nothing wrong with that torque, but I always feel like when they do this stuff, it falls flat on its' face.
What do you mean by "falls flat on its face"?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Racer

I dunno, but then again none of us do until we see it I guess. I'm just basing my comments off of what I've been told by a dealer employee who posted about it on the other board after seeing the 17 in person.

Not sure if i can link to other board, so here's a quote:

And you should trust me. I have in fact seen it in the flesh already. All dealer principles/GMs attended a national meeting in Chicago a couple months ago. The 2017 MDX along with the Precision Concept were shown completely uncovered.

You guys are only a couple weeks away from seeing what I've been talking about but if you want the full list of what I saw...

All new front and rear bumpers. Rear bumper has exposed dual exhaust where the reflectors are now. Reflectors move further outside and vertically oriented. Front bumper with a completely different grille that is trapezoid shaped along with vertically stacked fog lights.

New 20" wheels. Similar to the accessory 20" wheels that were available to the old ZDX.

All new seats. Much more of a premium look with much more stitching. Captains chairs will be optional for the second row.

Some speculation since I didn't verify this...

Apple CarPlay/Android Auto gets integrated to our infotainment system just like the Pilot already has

Maybe. Maybe they claim 10more horsepower or something because of the new exhaust or something.

Additional:
Pushbutton nonsense stays. Maybe that changes in a couple years when the 10AT gets put in play.

While there were talks of doing a hybrid version early on, it doesn't appear to have come to fruition. And the SH-AWD system along with the 7DCT from the RLX are based on a hybrid powertrain. So that ain't happening for the MDX. And while the Krell system is nice in the RLX Advance...I think it's only marginally better than the ELS system. So. Meh, you're not missing much there.
Very reliable guy that the board trusts.

Last edited by neoshi; 02-26-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I doubt it would be a turbo 3.5L V6. If anything, maybe a new 5 cylinder turbo. But I have zero to base this on, besides a turbo 4 cyl being pretty small for such a large and heavy vehicle. Maybe a 2.5L 4 cyl would cut it, but I dunno.

Anyway, what's wrong with a 2.5L turbo? You'll get way better performance out of it than an NA V6. Fuel economy? I dunno. Likely would be no better. Maybe even worse. Is it just the perception of a four banger in a top end SUV that feels off?

I'd imagine that Honda would want to keep the power more or less the same in the MDX. Maybe a modest boost, but nothing crazy. For that reason alone, I don't see a v6 3.5 turbo happening.

What do you mean by "falls flat on its face"?
I doubt a 5 cylinder turbo, only because 5 cylinder engines are kinda out of style now and I always feel like for some reason 4 and 6 cylinder engines are more reliable (could be a balance thing).

I really doubt a turbo 4 because shawd needs power to work. On the 2007+ mdx, with a V6, shawd activates with very little power, on my turbo rdx, shawd only comes on when I am DEEP in the throttle. For that reason, they wouldn't put a turbo 4 in the mdx. UNLESS! They make a hybrid mdx, with shawd electric motors at the rear axle and a turbo 4 at the front. I can see them doing that.

Better performance on somethig that big? Never. Better fuel economy? Never. Should a large 7 passenger luxury suv have a 4 cylinder engine? Never. It isn't just about the perception, its about the fact that I want power in my large luxury suv and a 4 cylinder is incapable of providing that.

The biggest reason honda would not do a turbo V6 is because they don't have a transmission that could handle it. All other suvs with greater than like 300-320hp are all longitudinal rwd. Transverse fwd transmission are just not capable of reliably handling that much torque (at least in my experience)...then again some people have like 1000+ hp subarus and mitsubishi cars.

By "falls flat on its' face", I mean that they get worse fuel economy than a V6, the turbo lag is atrocious so they end up being slow and scary on the road and at intersections. And last but not least, the engine has A LOT of work to do all the time, it can be highly taxing on an engine to have to deal with that kind of weight all the time. The only area small turbos excel is on the highway...but don't we have cylinder deactivation for that reason?
Old 02-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
AWD does not help with braking or steering; only getting your vehicle moving in less than ideal road conditions. For some reason most people think AWD will allow them to drive faster on snow and ice, or even rain slickened roads. I wish the automakers would stop touting AWD as some magical system, but they are not going to kill the golden goose anytime soon. AWD has nothing to do with safety. Consequently, people will continue to die and put others in danger by their driving too fast for the conditions.

Last edited by Rexorg; 02-26-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
I doubt a 5 cylinder turbo, only because 5 cylinder engines are kinda out of style now and I always feel like for some reason 4 and 6 cylinder engines are more reliable (could be a balance thing).

I really doubt a turbo 4 because shawd needs power to work. On the 2007+ mdx, with a V6, shawd activates with very little power, on my turbo rdx, shawd only comes on when I am DEEP in the throttle. For that reason, they wouldn't put a turbo 4 in the mdx. UNLESS! They make a hybrid mdx, with shawd electric motors at the rear axle and a turbo 4 at the front. I can see them doing that.

Better performance on somethig that big? Never. Better fuel economy? Never. Should a large 7 passenger luxury suv have a 4 cylinder engine? Never. It isn't just about the perception, its about the fact that I want power in my large luxury suv and a 4 cylinder is incapable of providing that.

The biggest reason honda would not do a turbo V6 is because they don't have a transmission that could handle it. All other suvs with greater than like 300-320hp are all longitudinal rwd. Transverse fwd transmission are just not capable of reliably handling that much torque (at least in my experience)...then again some people have like 1000+ hp subarus and mitsubishi cars.

By "falls flat on its' face", I mean that they get worse fuel economy than a V6, the turbo lag is atrocious so they end up being slow and scary on the road and at intersections. And last but not least, the engine has A LOT of work to do all the time, it can be highly taxing on an engine to have to deal with that kind of weight all the time. The only area small turbos excel is on the highway...but don't we have cylinder deactivation for that reason?
I thought someone else had a 5 cylinder engine out these days. You're right, they aren't common. Acura did have one back in the early 90s.

Otherwise, I think you have some powerful misconceptions about turbos. I'll give you an example- the wife drives a 2012 Sonata 2.0T. It produces 274hp an 269lbft of torque. It has ZERO turbo lag. At least not that I can detect. It even hits it's peak torque at about 1500rpm. Im always in the powerband. Keep in mind, this little 2.0T is moving a 3400 lb car. It's not exactly light. And the completely stock Sonata Lightly spanks my modded 2006 6MT TL. Average fuel economy in the city is 10L/100km- better then my TL. What I'm saying- turbos can be done right. And this car does all of this on 87 octane, vs 91 octane in my TL.

A 2.0T is too small for the MDX. A 2.5T might be able to pull it off, but you're right, it is questionable. I don't think anyone goes bigger than that for a 4 cyl though, hence why I was thinking maybe a 5 cylinder turbo. No idea if Acura would bother with a 5 cyl again though. They've avoided it for the better part of 25 years.

Ideally, a 2.8L V6T would be a beast. THAT would be badass.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought someone else had a 5 cylinder engine out these days. You're right, they aren't common. Acura did have one back in the early 90s.

Otherwise, I think you have some powerful misconceptions about turbos. I'll give you an example- the wife drives a 2012 Sonata 2.0T. It produces 274hp an 269lbft of torque. It has ZERO turbo lag. At least not that I can detect. It even hits it's peak torque at about 1500rpm. Im always in the powerband. Keep in mind, this little 2.0T is moving a 3400 lb car. It's not exactly light. And the completely stock Sonata Lightly spanks my modded 2006 6MT TL. Average fuel economy in the city is 10L/100km- better then my TL. What I'm saying- turbos can be done right. And this car does all of this on 87 octane, vs 91 octane in my TL.

A 2.0T is too small for the MDX. A 2.5T might be able to pull it off, but you're right, it is questionable. I don't think anyone goes bigger than that for a 4 cyl though, hence why I was thinking maybe a 5 cylinder turbo. No idea if Acura would bother with a 5 cyl again though. They've avoided it for the better part of 25 years.

Ideally, a 2.8L V6T would be a beast. THAT would be badass.
I think volvo still has a 2.5l I5. But they have been doing the 5 cylinder deal for a while now, so they may have it down pat. I read about the acura 5 cylinder in the ramblings hall of fame (good thread).

I don't have misconceptions about turbos, I have a turbo in the rdx and defend it all the time. I also had a rental 2015 ford escape with the 1.6t for 3 months and there was ZERO lag. My whole point is centered around 4 cylinder turbos IN 5000 plus pound suv's. A 2.0t in a 3400 pound car is COMPLETELY different than a 2.0t or even 2.5t in a 5000 pound suv. Otherwise I absolutely love turbos and I know that modern turbos almost have zero lag. I am with you and I agree completely with you about turbo 4's (in lighter vehicles weighing 4k and under). Hell my dream dream car is a 2011-2014 cayenne turbo s with the twin turbo V8.

I like what ford is doing with their twin turbo 2.8 V6. Very small engine, but still a V6 and twin turbo to compensate. I think acura should make a twin turbo 3.0 V6 for the mdx and rlx and a single turbo 3.0 for the rdx. A turbo 4 would work in the ilx though.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

I just agreed with you that a 2.0t is too small and a 2.5t likely wouldn't cut it either

I really hope they do come out with a forced air v6 of some sort.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Well for starters the MDX doesn't weigh 5,000 lbs. The SHAWD starts at 4,195 lbs - the base FWD MDX is 3,960 lbs.

And - OK - you get a full load of passengers and luggage and stuff...it's heavy.

And I agree that a 2.0T would be too small for the MDX probably even at below 4,000 lbs because of the possibilities of fully loading it down.

The problem Acura has with a turbo V6 is that the MDX starts at a low enough price that they couldn't use it across the entire range. A $45K SHAWD twin turbo V6 MDX? The X5 starts at $54,700 with the 3.0T, the new Q7 3.0T starts at $54,800. The X5 Xdrive 35I weighs 4,790 lbs. The new Q7 3.0 is a bit heavier than that according to the Audi website. Look at what other luxury 3-row makes offer for $45K - the QX70 has 265 hp, the XC90 has 250 hp (and only two rows). Why should Acura put a 300+ hp engine into their $45K luxury 3-row SUV when no one else is coming close to offering that level of performance for that money?

It's the same story with the RDX with the pricing compared to the Germans pretty much - I know that Acura isn't going to achieve pricing parity with the German's anytime soon but surely they can get closer than $10,000??? Especially if they "up their game" with interior and exterior design and materials as is being teased with the 2017 MDX.

If Acura has a turbo 6 in the MDX's future they should start it at at least $50K for a SHAWD Type-S. I think they'd be leaving too much money on the table otherwise.

But they can't raise the base price of the whole range by $5,000 without risking disaster - see what happened with Cadillac and the CTS. So what do they do with the $45K/49K MDX SHAWD base/Tech?

Listen I know nothing about engines and how they would do this mechanically but I like the idea of a 2.5L I5 Turbo because I feel like they could tune it to between 275-330 hp with probably close to equal torque in both cases. Then they could have the 275 hp 2.5T in the $45K/49K/$53K base/tech/advance SHAWD MDX and put the 330 hp 2.5T in the $51K/55K/59K MDX Type-S base/tech/advance. A type-S "base" would have a bit more standard equipment than the normal "base" does and unique interior/exterior bits.

The 275 hp turbo would probably deliver very similar performance to the current J MDX I think so Acura wouldn't be giving anything away there - and obviously the 330 hp 2.5T would certainly be quite quick.

BTW - those engine specs would probably work pretty well in the TLX/RDX/RLX.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iutodd
Well for starters the MDX doesn't weigh 5,000 lbs. The SHAWD starts at 4,195 lbs - the base FWD MDX is 3,960 lbs.

And - OK - you get a full load of passengers and luggage and stuff...it's heavy.

And I agree that a 2.0T would be too small for the MDX probably even at below 4,000 lbs because of the possibilities of fully loading it down.

The problem Acura has with a turbo V6 is that the MDX starts at a low enough price that they couldn't use it across the entire range. A $45K SHAWD twin turbo V6 MDX? The X5 starts at $54,700 with the 3.0T, the new Q7 3.0T starts at $54,800. The X5 Xdrive 35I weighs 4,790 lbs. The new Q7 3.0 is a bit heavier than that according to the Audi website. Look at what other luxury 3-row makes offer for $45K - the QX70 has 265 hp, the XC90 has 250 hp (and only two rows). Why should Acura put a 300+ hp engine into their $45K luxury 3-row SUV when no one else is coming close to offering that level of performance for that money?

It's the same story with the RDX with the pricing compared to the Germans pretty much - I know that Acura isn't going to achieve pricing parity with the German's anytime soon but surely they can get closer than $10,000??? Especially if they "up their game" with interior and exterior design and materials as is being teased with the 2017 MDX.

If Acura has a turbo 6 in the MDX's future they should start it at at least $50K for a SHAWD Type-S. I think they'd be leaving too much money on the table otherwise.

But they can't raise the base price of the whole range by $5,000 without risking disaster - see what happened with Cadillac and the CTS. So what do they do with the $45K/49K MDX SHAWD base/Tech?

Listen I know nothing about engines and how they would do this mechanically but I like the idea of a 2.5L I5 Turbo because I feel like they could tune it to between 275-330 hp with probably close to equal torque in both cases. Then they could have the 275 hp 2.5T in the $45K/49K/$53K base/tech/advance SHAWD MDX and put the 330 hp 2.5T in the $51K/55K/59K MDX Type-S base/tech/advance. A type-S "base" would have a bit more standard equipment than the normal "base" does and unique interior/exterior bits.

The 275 hp turbo would probably deliver very similar performance to the current J MDX I think so Acura wouldn't be giving anything away there - and obviously the 330 hp 2.5T would certainly be quite quick.

BTW - those engine specs would probably work pretty well in the TLX/RDX/RLX.

Just my two cents.
Gotta admit I thought you were off your rocker at first, but wow you are right. Thats crazy! How did they manage to get something so large to be so light while the europeans and americans are still tipping the scale at 2.5+ tons. But yeah like we all agree, its still too big for such a small engine. Also keeping in mind the mdx is rated at 5000 pounds, I don't think the engine could handle that much weight.

The mdx goes up near $65k here (about 10-15k less than a loaded q7). So I do agree with you about the cost issues associated with a turbo V6. But then you look at ford products with 370hp twin turbo V6 engines and you realize that the price isn't an excuse. A lincoln mkx goes for a similar price and comes with a twin turbo V6 on the upper trims and a normal v6 on the lower. I think acura should do the same. In a world of f-sport, amg, m-package, s-line. Acura can't afford to not have an s-package. And a real one at that. How many people line up for amg mls and gls every year, and every second q7 is s-line.

I think they should make a new trim and raise it 5k. But that should involve a nicer interior as well as performance modifications. Make it a true flagship.

I still don't personally agree with 4-cylinder turbos on large luxury Suv's. Just shouldn't be happening. If I plop down 55-70k, I want a powerful V6 or V8.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Pro

I dunno, but then again none of us do until we see it I guess. I'm just basing my comments off of what I've been told by a dealer employee who posted about it on the other board after seeing the 17 in person.

Not sure if i can link to other board, so here's a quote:

Very reliable guy that the board trusts.
He may be a reliable source, but it doesn't sound like the crowd was told anything about changes to the powertrain. He mentions a power gain and exposed tips on a new exhaust, but he uses "maybe" quite a bit, so that to me sounds like speculation.

Yes, neither of us know, and I may be wrong, but I think they may make some minor tweaks to the engine. How are the RLX and MDX engines different? They could be tweaking the MDX engine to have the same output as the RLX? It is not like they can really add the much more power anyway, since they offer a FWD version.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think all this talk about a new 2017 model is bogus. Acura's past product cycle time for the MDX was 7 years. Look for a new model in 2021/2022!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by sktn77a
I think all this talk about a new 2017 model is bogus. Acura's past product cycle time for the MDX was 7 years. Look for a new model in 2021/2022!
It's a MMC brother
Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That picture ain't no MMC!

Quick Reply: any news on the 2017 mdx?