Annoying rattle and confusing lane departure warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Annoying rattle and confusing lane departure warning

Hey Everyone,

Just bought a 3G MDX FWD w/ Tech on Sunday. I'm having an issue with a rattle inside the cabin. The rattle would show up whenever I'm above 30mph and hit a bump in the road. So far I haven't been able to pin point it, but it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. Might be behind/below the front row passenger seat or the second row passenger seat. It's driving me nuts. I made an appointment to bring it back to the dealer on Monday to have them look at it. Does anyone else have similar issues?

The way the lane departure warning works is a little confusing. When it's enabled I kind of expected to warn me whenever I'm drifting out of lane. I've done several tests on the freeway where I intentionally drifted into the adjacent lane and it didn't warn me. On the other hand a couple of times when I get on an off-ramp where one lane turns into 2 or more lanes it would beep no matter which lane I pick. It's definitely not as useful as I thought, not that I would totally rely on it anyway. At this point I'm more inclined to leave it disabled.

I bought the RES at the time of the purchase but the dealer didn't have the parts yet. They told me they have them on order and would call me when they come in. Has anyone here have them installed and if so how long did it take your dealer to do it? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
What is RES ?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 AM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm guessing remote engine start. I had it installed on mine at time of purchase.

I don't hear any rattleing sound although there is a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the passenger side near the dash area. I hear it when my wife is driving the car (her car) and she calls me using HFL. It almost sounds like there is a nail or rock in the tire and you hear it every time the tire rolls over it but that shouldn't be heard that loudly inside the cabin. Will have to check the tire
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RES stands for remote engine start. Just got off the phone with the dealer and they estimated two days for installation and addressing the rattle issue. They showed me the remote for the remote engine start. Damn that thing is big. It's going to feel like a small pager in my pocket.

rhn75 let me know what the dealer find with your ticking sound. I'm interested in finding out all the little problems the MDX may have. It's the first year run of a brand new design. There's bound to be some issues here and there.

I naively believed the lexus salesman when he said "nothing rattles in a lexus". After the rattling started in my MDX I was second-guessing myself and thought maybe the RX350 would have been a better choice. My coworker laughed at me and said the lexus sales guy was full of it. He has an 2009 IS250 and 2012 RX350, and he told me both of them had rattling issues soon after the purchase. I guess that's one myth busted. It was stupid of me to believe the lexus sales guy's statement haha.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I understand your frustration about the rattle. I also suffered from a couple of rattles. Mine were from the center dash (around navigation screen) and the entertainment system. Fortunately, the dealership fixed anyway. I still have a concern regarding rattles. But, the best way you can do is contacting dealerships. You may try other dealership if one can't locate noise sources. '14 MDX is very quiet, so even subtle rattles can be pretty disturbing.

LDW works fine for me. Of course, it can't perfectly work. Try out more. The computer system must recognize the lanes, which is not always working.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I thought it was Rear Entertainment System
Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vividsi
I thought it was Rear Entertainment System

I thought so too!