Adding Acura Accessory Backup Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Acura Accessory Backup Sensors

long time lurker around here, picking up our new to us 2016 Tech w/AWP early this week.

One thing that astonished me is the lack of rear backup sensors. We are trading in a 2010 SHO that is more equipped than the '16 Tech. The wife will be DDing this thing, and we've got to have them, having had them in the SHO.

Anyone installed the Acura accessory backup sensors? Feedback on the install or other recommendations?

I looked through the install tall instructions and it looks like it's a pretty involved job. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and have no issue tackling something like this amongst other installs.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I recommend doing it through dealership otherwise its not under warranty. Did you buy your MDX Certified?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I think they just left it as an option since you have a backup camera now as standard. TBH, I've never had backup sensors on my vehicles (oddly enough some of my vehicles LOSE the sensors when you go to the best options), so I've always been a mirror checker in the past and now camera and mirror user.

The install isn't hard from looking at the instructions and the warranty (people will tell you it's a 4 year/50k mile warranty, but that's only if you install them at the time of new vehicle purchase, otherwise it's 1 year/12k miles, so if you really want it, you may want to clarify this point with the dealer) is really up to you since the dealership is charge about $100/hr for the labor. I've also seen some hole cuts by dealerships that would make you cringe (more an issue for 2017+ though, since they use the flush type sensor heads that require a clean hole cut), but choose whatever gives you comfort (and most MEs I know are DIYers lol).