Acura recalls and loaner denial

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura recalls and loaner denial

So after getting letters in the mail about the recalls for TIMING BELT and TAIL LIGHTS, i scheduled to bring my car into Phil Smith Acura because it's closer to my house, but i originally got the car from Pemproke Pines Acura. While checking in with the service adviser I asked if I could get a loaner because i could not wait at the dealership and to my surprise he said Acura does NOT offer loaner vehicles for recalls. Even the Jeep grand cherokee we have gave us a loaner when we dropped off for a recall and it was the exact same situation where i got the car from one dealership but was having the recall done at another. I'm just expressing my frustrations with this situation. Did anyone have any luck getting a loaner for recalls or was it just the dealership that i went to that sucks?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
While at the dealership, ask to borrow their phone and call Acura. If that doesn't get results, then call NHTSA. The phone numbers are on the recall letter.

How long does the work take? If it is a couple of hours or less then a loaner probably isn't necessary.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
Heck, my non selling dealer closer to home gives me a loaner if I ask. Last one we had for 6 days because the part that was ordered was wrong and my car was in pieces. I agree if its only going to take an hour or so just wait it out. Loaners are up to the dealer I think.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Weak. Mike Hale Acura here in SLC gave me a SH-AWD TLX for 2 days while we waited for the parts to come in to have the Takata airbags replaced in the TL.

Nice car BTW. Still, happy to get the 4G back......
Old 05-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
This is BS. I have had a loaner for the airbag recall (3 months in fact), and any other recall there has been as well as any other service work. In fact my Mother-in-Laws 2004 Acura EL (Canada only upgraded Civic), just had the airbag changed again and we got a loaner.

It would be the last time I went to that dealer.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It doesn't really make difference where you bought the car. I've never waited more than two hours at the dealership. Longer than that and I always get a loaner.

Some dealers may want to avoid giving you a loaner but for recall work I'd suggest what I said above - call Acura from their phone. They'll only screw you if you let them.

That said, you should be reasonable. If the repair is fairly quick and you don't want to wait at the dealership, then ask them to drop you at a restaurant/coffee shop and pick you up when it is done.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just did my taillight and fuel pump recall. Called ahead, asked if I needed a loaner, I said yes, picked a date when one would be available. Never had a problem with a loaner for any service I have asked for one.

I had a new MDX for 3 weeks while the dealer was trying to get parts and replace a failed hard drive on my 2013 RDX (that was just out of warranty BTW).
Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is BS..When I brought in to have the TC recall, I had the 19 TLX A-spec for more than 1 month, now, I brought in for the high pressure fuel pump recall, one part is back order, they gave me 19 RDX...It's been 25 days now, I know this is optional, but loaner car is supposed to provide to customer who's repair time is above 5 hrs, that's what my service adviser told me.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Michael2NB
This is BS..When I brought in to have the TC recall, I had the 19 TLX A-spec for more than 1 month, now, I brought in for the high pressure fuel pump recall, one part is back order, they gave me 19 RDX...It's been 25 days now, I know this is optional, but loaner car is supposed to provide to customer who's repair time is above 5 hrs, that's what my service adviser told me.
That appears to be your dealers policy.

My dealer has 175 loaners and always gives you one if the repair is over a couple of hours or if you nicely ask for one to run an errand while waiting. They also don't require appointments (unless parts need to be ordered) and their service hours are from 6AM to 11PM weekdays and 7 to 7 on weekends, 365 days a year - usually 7 to 7 on holidays.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
My lame local Acura dealer denied me a loaner too when I brought in the MDX couple weeks ago for the Tail-light Recall. Was told I needed to call in to reserve a loaner 1 month in advance! WTF do they have only 1 loaner available!! My local Lexus dealer have a fleet of loaners available anytime I want. RX, GS, RC, ES, all brand new 2019 cars. Not to mention the waiting room at Lexus is 100X better. Free Porto's pastries and Starbucks coffee. Acura doesn't offer anything in their waiting room. Hell even my local Toyota dealer is much better-free coffee and donuts and they'll even call me an Uber if I want to be dropped off/pickup at home. I guess they all vary from location to location. I just happen to live next to the cheapest Acura dealer in the entire USA (Thomas Acura Covina, CA). I like their service advisors though, so I put up with the inconvenience.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
My dealer does the same if you have not bought a car from them even though I've been bringing in my cars for over 12 years there. I believe they only have a few loaners and those are for longer services. The one time I've done a timing belt service, they gave me a cheap rental instead since I did not buy from them. I like their service, but this has always annoyed me. Oh well, I'm fine with the shuttle rides to work, but still would prefer a loaner especially for a premium brand.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpdata
My lame local Acura dealer denied me a loaner too when I brought in the MDX couple weeks ago for the Tail-light Recall. Was told I needed to call in to reserve a loaner 1 month in advance! WTF do they have only 1 loaner available!! My local Lexus dealer have a fleet of loaners available anytime I want. RX, GS, RC, ES, all brand new 2019 cars. Not to mention the waiting room at Lexus is 100X better. Free Porto's pastries and Starbucks coffee. Acura doesn't offer anything in their waiting room. Hell even my local Toyota dealer is much better-free coffee and donuts and they'll even call me an Uber if I want to be dropped off/pickup at home. I guess they all vary from location to location. I just happen to live next to the cheapest Acura dealer in the entire USA (Thomas Acura Covina, CA). I like their service advisors though, so I put up with the inconvenience.
I had the same issue with my Local Acura Dealer, little did i know they just closed shop a few weeks ago
Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I know that at the dealer I use, when I make a service appointment they ask me if I need a loaner. Depending on my answer, they tell me how soon they can take the vehicle in. They have a finite amount of loaners and if I want one, then I may have to be willing to wait longer to get the vehicle booked in, as the loaners may already be in use. If I don’t ask about getting a loaner, chances are there won’t be one available... just their shuttle service.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:20 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just some inside info, I don't think Acura will shell out to pay the dealership for loaners on these 2 times due to the low labor times. The taillights only pays .9 and I think the timing belt inspection only pays .5. Together, that only pays 1.4 hours, not quite enough for Acura to pay for a loaner. If the dealership is big enough to absorb the cost of the loaner, they might put you in one knowing that they're not going to be paid for it. I know the one I work at isn't. If the t-belt has to be replaced, I think it'll cover a loaner for a day.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
It's all dependent upon the dealership. Mine will rent one out for me from the Enterprise two doors down if they run out of loaners if I'm doing warranty work. Haven't tried to see what loaner availability will be like out of warranty (some lux brands like Audi will stop giving you loaners for non warranty work), so will have to see.