Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Acura MDX PMC will follow

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...to-follow.html
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
This should finally settle once and for all that the 4th gen MDX redesign isn't happening this year.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
This should finally settle once and for all that the 4th gen MDX redesign isn't happening this year.
Pretty much. Still no software updates for the RDX so I'm turning my sights to a '19 Sport Hybrid. I don't need to tow so the electric torque boost in daily driving and gas mileage in rush hour traffic would be nice. Keeping an eye on local dealer inventory so when the 2020 carry over gets announced, I should be able to get a better deal. It's just a matter of getting one in a color combo I want.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJames:
Achance (04-11-2019), pilozm (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrJames
Pretty much. Still no software updates for the RDX so I'm turning my sights to a '19 Sport Hybrid. I don't need to tow so the electric torque boost in daily driving and gas mileage in rush hour traffic would be nice. Keeping an eye on local dealer inventory so when the 2020 carry over gets announced, I should be able to get a better deal. It's just a matter of getting one in a color combo I want.
that might be tricky with the hybrid due to limited availability depending on location as they don't make a ton of them
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I tried to look used/CPO for a 18 sh-sh-awd in Fathom Blue Pearl Adv coast-to-coast with zero luck (wanted Apple Car Play). I figured an used 18 Adv would be about the same price as a new 19 sh-sh-awd tech. I gave up looking because there was nothing out there either because of low availability OR owners are not giving them up. I used a car buying service with my USAA bank and the wait time for the sh-sh-awd that wasn't on the lot was about 2 month average or longer if you wanted a specific color/trim level. I got lucky and my local dealership just had 4 MDXs sh-sh-awd roll off the truck late March that wasn't enter into the inventory (still had all the transport wrapping). They had the exact color combo and trim level I wanted and I purchased ASAP. The other choice was to wait until May to get the same MDX from another dealership. Local dealership wasn't a part of the USAA car buying service; but, they did match the price (saved me a trip from ABQ to Boulder, CO).

I don't need towing and the sh-sh-awd is already holding steady at 25-26 mph with city driving (less than 300 miles). Even with the all new MDX in the next year or so, I don't think a 4th Gen sport-hybrid version will available until a few years after that? I'm think you might have to get a 3rd Gen 2019/2020 sh-sh-awd OR wait until 4th Gen MMC in +2023 for a sh-sh-awd.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Racer

You bring up an interesting point, as they are working on a Type-S variant of the 4th Gen MDX will they also continue to offer the Sport Hybrid in 4th Gen? Then the MDX would have FWD, AWD, Sport Hybrid, A-Spec and Type-S variants (assuming they don't carry PMC forward to 4th Gen rollout)...
Old 04-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
My TL is a black/parchment combo so that is what I'd like to stick with. I like the way the parchment looks but I may go red or white if I can't get a black exterior.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Type S ends up being a hybrid. Electric motors with the new 3.0T engine would be interesting.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:06 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
My TL is a black/parchment combo so that is what I'd like to stick with. I like the way the parchment looks but I may go red or white if I can't get a black exterior.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Type S ends up being a hybrid. Electric motors with the new 3.0T engine would be interesting.
If the Type-S does get an electric motor, my bet is on a 48V mild hybrid. Done correctly, this should all but eliminate turbo lag as the electric motor helps get the car moving while boost is building in the turbocharger. At cruising speeds, the ICE shuts off improving fuel economy. Mild hybrids are relatively simple systems and shouldn't add much to the complexity since the ICE engine still does the heavy lifting. I don't know how mild hybrid systems are positioned in the vehicle, but if the electric motor and battery can be mounted towards the rear, it could potentially improve front/rear weight balance too.

Edit: From what I've seen so far, the electric motor is mounted in the front, attached to the ICE. The battery related stuff looks to be positioned towards the rear.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 04-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
pilozm (04-13-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
If this is similar to the TLX PMC, where they loaded it up with A-Spec items AND Advance package items, I might be interested. The biggest thing keeping me out a new MDX right now is that you can't get it in Sport Hybrid trim with the Advance package. So I guess for me it would have to be sport hybrid and advance, but the A-spec goodies look good so I would hope for those too.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
If this is similar to the TLX PMC, where they loaded it up with A-Spec items AND Advance package items, I might be interested. The biggest thing keeping me out a new MDX right now is that you can't get it in Sport Hybrid trim with the Advance package. So I guess for me it would have to be sport hybrid and advance, but the A-spec goodies look good so I would hope for those too.
You can buy Sport Hybrid MDX with Advance package, I believe that's the version with the most being produced right now actually. You cannot however get the Sport Hybrid with Advance and Entertainment packages I believe.

If you are just looking for a MDX Sport Hybrid with Advance package that should be an option for you provided you can find inventory (sport hybrid inventory is limited).

If however you are referring to A-Spec with Advance package then you are correct this isn't possible right now, except you may be able to get it via the PMC edition, however not sure what premium (there has to be one) they charge to have your vehicle "hand assembled".
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I just went to "build and price" and it is indeed the Entertainment package that cannot be had with the Sport Hybrid. Since my kids love the integrated screen in our current MDX, not being able to get that is a deal-breaker.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Yeah, you're right. I just went to "build and price" and it is indeed the Entertainment package that cannot be had with the Sport Hybrid. Since my kids love the integrated screen in our current MDX, not being able to get that is a deal-breaker.
I have the Ent package on my 11 MDX Adv and probably used it 5 times. I haven't had need once data plans, tethering, 4G, smartphones, and ipads hit the market. Good thing about ipads/smartphones is you can take them with you at home, on the beach, office, plane, hotel, etc... More bang for the buck and 100X more access to entertainment, movies, games, apps, email, streaming services, banking, photos, and make your own vacation vids, compared to the cost of a in-car Ent system.

In car Ent systems are just as dead as in car cassette players a few years ago and CD players now.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I have the Ent package on my 11 MDX Adv and probably used it 5 times. I haven't had need once data plans, tethering, 4G, smartphones, and ipads hit the market. Good thing about ipads/smartphones is you can take them with you at home, on the beach, office, plane, hotel, etc... More bang for the buck and 100X more access to entertainment, movies, games, apps, email, streaming services, banking, photos, and make your own vacation vids, compared to the cost of a in-car Ent system.

In car Ent systems are just as dead as in car cassette players a few years ago and CD players now.
Not for everyone. For toddlers, tablets/ipads/phones aren't a nice option because you have to turn around, grab the device, start playing content for them, turn around and do this every time you need to change playback for them in the event they can't control for themselves. That, and not every parent wants their little kids to get in the habit of having a cell phone or tablet so not for them either. For me personally I like the entertainment system as it provides me with more control and ease of use. Plus buying 2 tablets/ipads just for your kids (i personally don't have a use for them) isn't any cheaper than getting the entertainment system
DJ Iceman (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta say. Both my kids have iPads but we all prefer that they watch movies and experience it together with the one screen. I’m looking at the MDX A package then adding an after market entertainment system in the back. The dealer offered to do it at no cost. Amazon sells complete systems for around $200.