AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   6 Speed Tranny (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/6-speed-tranny-980499/)

Michael2NB 06-24-2019 03:02 PM

6 Speed Tranny

Hi All,
Just want to share my experiences on the 6 speed tranny in my 15 MDX(SH-AWD) to see if that is normal.
I drive it to work everyday in NYC, with such stop and go traffic in the morning, the shift is really rough. For example, when I accelerate from a stop, take my foot off the gas when the RPM reach 2k because the car in front of me brakes again, me and my girlfriend can feel that our bodies will lurch forward, my body leans forward to the steering wheel, it always does that in the stop and go traffic, I am not sure if the tranny is at the shifting point or what, but it tends to greatly reduce if I am accelerating in the hill or slope, this car is so smooth going up hill, I have no idea why is it, but it gives me a feel like the engine produce enough power to go up hill, so it is smooth, but with the same power, it is exceed in the need for flat road, so it will lurch forward. Dealer performed TC replacement, and 3x drain and fill, but I don't noticed any change.
Also, when downshifting, from 2 to 1, it will lurch forward as well, so everytime when the car is braking down to around 20mph, all the people in side the car, will lurch forward, lol.
Third, when accelerating from 60mph, if I do it very gently, the RPM is not likely will be go up, but the speed will go up very slowly, if I press it a little bit hard, the RPM will shoot to near 3k, and the car will lurch forward then go.
I just want to know if this is normal, I have been visiting dealership 3/4 times regarding this, but they said it is normal, if you guys think it is not normal, I will just go to another dealer for diagnosis.

Thank you

9SpeedTran 06-24-2019 03:13 PM

What IDS Mode are you in?

Michael2NB 06-24-2019 03:17 PM

Mostly in "Comfort" and "Normal". Thank you for bringing up IDS mode, if I change to "Sport", the car tends to be much smoother, but the steering wheel will be so tight/hard.

Bluepill 06-24-2019 09:23 PM

My '14 is pretty herky-jerky at lower speeds around town. The combination of shifting too soon and the VCM cutting cylinders makes it buck a lot.

In traffic, I put it in "S" mode and use the paddles. With a bit of practice it can be as smooth as anything on the road. Give it a try.

merlin the wrench 07-01-2019 10:15 AM

my 2014 and 2015 were pretty normal but I have a light foot and grew up with manual trans cars. There was a TSB on what was called juddering, where the torque convertor shudders. Make sure that TSB was completed because there was a transmission software update as part of it.

Michael2NB 07-01-2019 01:40 PM

Hi, I already got the TC replace under warranty, still the same, is it possible that the dealer didn't change it? Cuz when I got the car back, it was completely the same.

merlin the wrench 07-02-2019 09:57 AM

take a test drive in another used 15 and see if it does the same. I have no problem with how mine feels. Are you sure it isn't warped brakes causing what you feel?

9SpeedTran 07-02-2019 01:38 PM

I just leave my 14 in Sport mode. Having said that, if you accelerate and then remove your foot abruptly, it will thump a bit at least every now and then. That's one thing about Sport mode, it requires less pressure to get moving, so that might help. In traffic light that, a light continuous touch to the pedal is definitely preferred.

Michael2NB 07-03-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran (Post 16447503)
I just leave my 14 in Sport mode. Having said that, if you accelerate and then remove your foot abruptly, it will thump a bit at least every now and then. That's one thing about Sport mode, it requires less pressure to get moving, so that might help. In traffic light that, a light continuous touch to the pedal is definitely preferred.

So I tried Bluepill suggestion, use the paddle shifter in Sequential mode, if I drive in 2nd gear from a complete stop, oh man, the car is smooth like silk, which is normal if you compare it to a TOYOTA/LEXUS, so it bring up a conclusion, the jerk is definitely from 1st gear, I will visit a different dealer when I have a chance.