At 49,000 miles, really? Quality issues for sure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
At 49,000 miles, really? Quality issues for sure.

So I took my 15 MDX SHAWD to the dealership to investigate the noise from the engine bay with 49K miles, 4 years as of July this year. It was really bothering us while driving, dealer just call me and stated the engine and transmission mount were causing that noise and it will be cover under the warranty, I assumed the 6 years/70k powertrain warranty. They also told me that my front right strut is leaking oil and recommended to replace the 2 fronts. He said it will not be cover under warranty. Has anyone has any similar problems? I bought this thing brand new, how can so many problems already happening?
Old 10-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Can you describe the noise. My car same model just started a small vibration noise in the dash board area, can only be heard with the windows up, no music and idling.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
To my experience all repairs for my new cars purchased occurred during the first year of ownership. My 2013 Accord had a oil leak and my 2016 Lexus IS had a leaking shock absorber.

On the bright side the mounts were covered under warranty. If its just the struts that need replacing I would prefer to do it myself or find a private shop which you trust. Dealers over charge on everything.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
do you have the Damper struts or regular? Damper struts are known to fail way too soon and ONLY HMC sells them for $922.54 each as mine in the front are failing on my 2007 Sports MDX.... They will not cover them under warranty. I have a whopping 54k California garage miles.... that's a chunk of change to swallow. I was happy to learn that our new purchased 2018 MDX Advance doesn't have those damper struts... Do I prefer them over regular struts???? You bet..... Engine mounts do fail but it seems way too early for yours...Our 2007 MDX was first year production model MDX (2nd gen) and has been solid other that these freaking damper struts....
Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by knv8
Can you describe the noise. My car same model just started a small vibration noise in the dash board area, can only be heard with the windows up, no music and idling.
It's not the rattle, you can check by going from Reverse to Drive and vice versa while applying on the brake pedal. Eventhough this MDX has all kind of weird noises on it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
do you have the Damper struts or regular? Damper struts are known to fail way too soon and ONLY HMC sells them for $922.54 each as mine in the front are failing on my 2007 Sports MDX.... They will not cover them under warranty. I have a whopping 54k California garage miles.... that's a chunk of change to swallow. I was happy to learn that our new purchased 2018 MDX Advance doesn't have those damper struts... Do I prefer them over regular struts???? You bet..... Engine mounts do fail but it seems way too early for yours...Our 2007 MDX was first year production model MDX (2nd gen) and has been solid other that these freaking damper struts....
I will ask again and see what strut they were talking about. They did quoted me $1500 for the 2 front struts so I believed it is to be the regular struts, hopefully. Yeah, this is my 1st Acura, maybe will be my last, but reliable at all. Only 49K, what else will happens at 70-100K? LOL, too soon to failed.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=bmoua15;16322885]To my experience all repairs for my new cars purchased occurred during the first year of ownership. My 2013 Accord had a oil leak and my 2016 Lexus IS had a leaking shock absorber.

On the bright side the mounts were covered under warranty. If its just the struts that need replacing I would prefer to do it myself or find a private shop which you trust. Dealers over charge on everything.[/QUOTE

Yup, still covered by Powertrain warranty, I will have private shop replace them. Thanks man.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
[QUOTE=Apollo2TheMoon;16322931]
Originally Posted by bmoua15
To my experience all repairs for my new cars purchased occurred during the first year of ownership. My 2013 Accord had a oil leak and my 2016 Lexus IS had a leaking shock absorber.

On the bright side the mounts were covered under warranty. If its just the struts that need replacing I would prefer to do it myself or find a private shop which you trust. Dealers over charge on everything.[/QUOTE

Yup, still covered by Powertrain warranty, I will have private shop replace them. Thanks man.
I would get a second opinion before just replacing the struts. Dealers can tend to "create" maintenance needs. My BMW dealer said I need to replace my battery since it failed test. 14 months later it is still running just fine...

Leaking struts probably have more to do with your driving conditions rather than poor workmanship. If you hit some pretty bad potholes over your 49,000 miles, that could have easily been the cause, no matter the make.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
On 3rd gen MDX the 2017 sport hybrid was the first time you could get "active damper" suspension. This was expanded to the non-hybrid Advance trim beginning with 2019 model year.

I'd be curious as to the long term reliability of the active dampers on the 3rd gen which have only been out for the past 2 years
Fabvsix (10-31-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu

I would get a second opinion before just replacing the struts. Dealers can tend to "create" maintenance needs. My BMW dealer said I need to replace my battery since it failed test. 14 months later it is still running just fine...

Leaking struts probably have more to do with your driving conditions rather than poor workmanship. If you hit some pretty bad potholes over your 49,000 miles, that could have easily been the cause, no matter the make.

I agree, last winter a neighbor with a 39K mile Toyota couldn't avoid a pothole and destroyed his front rim and tire.. Upon closer inspection his front strut was leaking heavily so he replaced the rim, both front tires and both struts and had it aligned.. He wasn't too happy..
Old 11-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=hondu;16323105]
Originally Posted by Apollo2TheMoon
I agreed too, probably my driving habits.

So I got the MDX back, the noise is gone, the transmission shift smoothly. All have have to do now is replace my 2 front struts then it is as good as new. Is there any aftermarket struts suitable for the mdx but better? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

No only Acura sells them for 950 something dollars a piece... There are no Aftermarket For Those damper struts
Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
No only Acura sells them for 950 something dollars a piece... There are no Aftermarket For Those damper struts
They are not damper struts, dealer quoted me $1500 for the two fronts. Thanks bro.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

My bad, I forgot you don't have the Active Damper Suspension model...…
Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
$1500 to replace 2 struts is ridiculous. I'm glad I am mechanically inclined and have a lot of tools so, I can pretty much fix anything mechanical on my cars. I know that doesn't help you, but I'm just saying.

BTW, check rockauto.com, they have pretty affordable parts.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I always joke that Acuras are American cars, not Japanese cars, so you gotta just deal with them as they age.

But honestly, Honda products larger than the Accord are more problematic than people think when they think of Honda family products. The old Honda reputation was built upon the shoulders of the Accord, which has been a reliable workhorse for ages. But don't expect an Odyssey, Pilot, nor MDX to age without one or more significant issues after 5 or 6 years (it's usually the tranny lol) and definitely not after 10. Being built in Alabama has made the MDXes and Odysseys especially problematic lately in the NVH department too.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by neoshi
I always joke that Acuras are American cars, not Japanese cars, so you gotta just deal with them as they age.

But honestly, Honda products larger than the Accord are more problematic than people think when they think of Honda family products. The old Honda reputation was built upon the shoulders of the Accord, which has been a reliable workhorse for ages. But don't expect an Odyssey, Pilot, nor MDX to age without one or more significant issues after 5 or 6 years (it's usually the tranny lol) and definitely not after 10. Being built in Alabama has made the MDXes and Odysseys especially problematic lately in the NVH department too.
Not necessarily NeoShi….. The best made and still the most reliable is the KA9 aka a Honda Legend or Acura RL (first generation) 100% Japanese made.... I've got an 04 that has been nothing but rock solid (knocking on wood) and would not rid it for my mother-in-law..... BEST kept secret...…

Old 11-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Racer

And the transmission problems present in the 2016 with the introduction of the new 9 speed largely appear to have been worked out by 2018 and 2019. So while 2016 and 17 should anticipate the likelihood of a major problem like the transmission in the long run the same isn't true for 2018 or 2019, at least absent reports of failed transmissions in those model years.

Honda has had some quality problems which isn't directly related to the production shifting to the US for certain products. Honda got lazy and stopped pushing relentlessly towards better quality on their production lines like they did decades ago. They've realized this and have made subsequent changes to try and bring back the quality centered culture that was present decades ago. However this won't happen overnight.

Lastly the thing to consider is that the MDX, even with transmission problems, is still about as reliable as any other luxury mid size 3 row suv except for Lexus. That is to say they are average reliability. The Volvo suvs as of now are rated much worse than average for reliability.
Fabvsix (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Yes you are correct !!! The KA9 had a plain jane 4 speed reliable transmission that rarely fails unless the owner abuses it..... All the issue started with the V6 5 speed glass box transmissions ! The 3rd gear had a bad design that lacks lubrication thus plaquing all Honda and Acura V6 5 speeds. I would avoid buying a used 1998 to 2003 V6 5 speed.... !!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoshi

I couldn't agree more, Acuras are like Ford and Chrysler, sorry to compare it like that but it sad, no quality control at all. I had paint peeled off on the real tail lights considered this was bought brand new at $50K. The MDX SHAWD does perform decent that we can all vouch for. Oh hell, it can't even compare to my Prius Prime of course which was built in Japan.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Racer

I couldn't agree more, Acuras are like Ford and Chrysler, sorry to compare it like that but it sad, no quality control at all. I had paint peeled off on the real tail lights considered this was bought brand new at $50K. The MDX SHAWD does perform decent that we can all vouch for. Oh hell, it can't even compare to my Prius Prime of course which was built in Japan.
I personally trust in the reliability of Acura even with their faults over the likes of Ford and Chrysler. A few years ago Ford was doing well in quality not so much any more. I realize Acura is no better than middle of the pack but I'd still take my chances there instead of relying on Ford or Chrysler
Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Instructor

I'm reading this thread with all the complaints regarding Honda/Acura and honestly I am a little surprised. All of my daily driver Honda vehicles were traded in with anywhere from 150,000 to 180,000 miles and they were all going strong till the last day. The only issue I had to go to the dealer for was a door lock actuator on my 2010 TL, and that was done under warranty. Other than normal maintenance I had no issues with any of them. I just picked up a 2019 MDX A-Spec and hopefully I won't have any issues with that one either.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by copmagnet82
I'm reading this thread with all the complaints regarding Honda/Acura and honestly I am a little surprised. All of my daily driver Honda vehicles were traded in with anywhere from 150,000 to 180,000 miles and they were all going strong till the last day. The only issue I had to go to the dealer for was a door lock actuator on my 2010 TL, and that was done under warranty. Other than normal maintenance I had no issues with any of them. I just picked up a 2019 MDX A-Spec and hopefully I won't have any issues with that one either.
Care to share any pictures of your new aspec?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just a note:

My otherwise failure-free 2014 has a leaking LF strut at 65K. I am going to replace both fronts myself. Gonna find a local shop with a spring compressor to swap the springs. Otherwise a pretty simple job.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobby2478
I personally trust in the reliability of Acura even with their faults over the likes of Ford and Chrysler. A few years ago Ford was doing well in quality not so much any more. I realize Acura is no better than middle of the pack but I'd still take my chances there instead of relying on Ford or Chrysler
Yup, compare Acura to Ford and Chrysler was wrong. Acura is better.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobby2478
Care to share any pictures of your new aspec?
I don't have any good ones, but I guess those are as "real" as they get

Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Racer

Looks great! I wish they offered the A-spec package in conjunction with the Advance and Entertainment packages
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
So I took my 15 MDX SHAWD to the dealership to investigate the noise from the engine bay with 49K miles, 4 years as of July this year. It was really bothering us while driving, dealer just call me and stated the engine and transmission mount were causing that noise and it will be cover under the warranty, I assumed the 6 years/70k powertrain warranty. They also told me that my front right strut is leaking oil and recommended to replace the 2 fronts. He said it will not be cover under warranty. Has anyone has any similar problems? I bought this thing brand new, how can so many problems already happening?
My wife love potholes and drive into boulders. She breaks the suspension is every car she has ever owned.

That is odd about the engine and trans mounts though