AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   2nd Row Passenger seat "creak" (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/2nd-row-passenger-seat-creak-969080/)

andysinnh 04-18-2018 07:56 AM

2nd Row Passenger seat "creak"

To date, my '17 MDX has been an outstanding vehicle in most every aspect - except when it comes to the second row of seats. You'll find a post from several months ago, right after I took delivery, about a metallic vibration sound coming from the driver's side 2nd row that turned out to be a defect in the recline mechanism that resulted in the replacement of the seat frame under warranty, which solved that problem. However,the other side is now misbehaving.

The issue is a "creak" or "snap" sound coming from the passenger 2nd row seat. Appears to exist whether seat back up or down, and can be heard with someone sitting in the seat or if it's empty (although louder when empty than when having a person sitting on it). I can make the sound disappear completely if I hit the button and have the seat slide forward on the track, like when someone wants access to the third row. The sound happens typically when the body flexes over uneven driving surfaces or over bumps. It's not a looseness thing, since you can beat/pull/push/wiggle the seat when the car's not moving and not hear a peep. But start driving and let the body flex even slightly and you get the sound.

Dealer had the car yesterday and said that a couple other MDX's have the same sound, but so far they can't isolate it. The district Acura rep is coming there next week and this is something they'll be talking to him about, and I've offered my ride up as an example if they need it. The dealer recognizes it's there and is trying to figure it out, but so far coming up empty.

Anyone here ever had a similar issue with the 2nd row passenger seat making this sort of creaking/snapping sound? This is one of those niggling issues that's not taking away from the driving pleasure with the MDX, but - ok - it's something in the back of my mind most of the time :-)

thanks - andy

honda_nut 04-19-2018 12:58 PM

I have the exact same issue in my parent's 15 MDX. Thought I was the only one that heard it. Only happens when the body flexes. I would love to get this fixed, but doubt the dealer will be able to replicate or resolve it, and I have already bugged my dealership a lot about squeaks/rattles in my TLX. They've provided great service for over ten years, but I feel like I've become too much of an annoyance with small issues like this. It's a shame that Acura's products don't have the quality feeling that I've expected them to have.

andysinnh 04-29-2018 08:49 PM

Problem solved. Dealer loosened seat mounting bolts and retorqued them down and the creak is gone. Trick was them reproducing it consistently enough to fix it. Happy. :-)

MikeinDallas 12-22-2018 04:14 PM

Seat rattle 2014 MDX

I have same with 2014 MDX mid row pass seat. Acura says it will cost $2300 to replace seat frame and no help from mfgr.

gatrhumpy 12-23-2018 09:50 PM

So loosen the bolts and retorque them.