2020 Acura MDX Redesign Odds

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
Will 3.0 Turbo be used in both base MDX and Type S?
I’m fairly sure it will be but I’m not sure if there will be an actual MDX-S unless they use the more powerful Sport Hybrid version combined with the 3.0t. That could be a very powerful combination.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL

I’m fairly sure it will be but I’m not sure if there will be an actual MDX-S unless they use the more powerful Sport Hybrid version combined with the 3.0t. That could be a very powerful combination.
Siince current MDX sells well at 300-310hp range, why would Acura not create base model around that range and have another step up model around 370-380 hp/torque range? They dont need to call it Type S.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by skarface
Here's another source that predicts the MDX redesign coming in 2019. They think the TLX would come in 2020. I think this is pretty dated as well (Looks like its from mid 2017). Interesting to see what actually happens.

http://www.autonews.com/assets/pdf/f...ssan-honda.pdf

The TLX is on a 5 model year cycle which makes 2019 its final model year. Production stops on the 2019 TLX in March or May I think. The MDX should be out next year as a 2021.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpha0
Siince current MDX sells well at 300-310hp range, why would Acura not create base model around that range and have another step up model around 370-380 hp/torque range? They dont need to call it Type S.
Current MDX has 290hp. The next gen base needs to be in the 325-340 range with a Sport Hybrid around 400! That would be pretty bad ass.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (01-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
They didn’t raise the price. Base prices between the 2018 and 2019 are nearly identical when comparing the 2018 w/AcuraSense to the 2019 which has that standard as well as many other features. The price increased on the top end as Acura added the A-Spec and the Advance trim has many features the 2018 didn’t have on any trim. Also there’s the return of SH-AWD on the 2019 of which wasn’t available on the 2G RDX.

In regards to noise, what trim did you drive? The A-Spec’s tend to be louder vs the other trims due to the more aggressive tire choice,
Acurawatch was standard starting in 2017.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by OK_TL04
With the 2019 RDX getting a complete refresh and the ILX getting a refreshed look for 2019 what are the odds for a 2020 MDX complete redesign? Does this new break at a certain time in the industry? This has probably been discussed here and was curious if anyone has seen any credible news stories or even spy photos of a 2020 MDX. I love the look of the RDX and can't wait to see what they do with the MDX.
I am hoping for a new 2020 MDX that launches sometime this year. The current model is long on the tooth.It is especially lacking in the infotainment department. The V6 turbo with quad exhaust is going to be nice.I will not buy an MDX until the new model comes out.

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 01-25-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver

I am hoping for a new 2020 MDX that launches sometime this year. The current model is long on the tooth.It is especially lacking in the infotainment department. The V6 turbo with quad exhaust is going to be nice.I will not buy an MDX until the new model comes out.
Just be prepared to wait up to another year and a half. Also be prepared to spend roughly 10k more as next gen will not only have higher sticker it will sell at full MSRP (maybe more at first) for close to the first year on the market. It should sell even better than the rdx is and with as hot as its selling there's little incentive to discount.

That's why I ultimately decided to just bite the bullet and buy a 19 instead as those can be had for under invoice.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver

Yeah if you can wait, I definitely would. It would be the worst time to buy a new MDX right now if the 2020 is the redesign. You aren't getting the closeout deal for it being the last year of the generation and you bought a old design you're stuck with that immediately looks dated (the interior is really hurting- the new grille helped a bit though).
Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Confirmed by SVP of American Honda - there will be a new TLX this year, new MDX & ILX next year and Type-S variants within 24 months.

https://www.autonews.com/nada-show/p...-acura-dealers
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuaren
Confirmed by SVP of American Honda - there will be a new TLX this year, new MDX & ILX next year and Type-S variants within 24 months.

thanks for sharing!

This a great news and that’s what I predicted a few months ago

the only thing is missing from this article: when is CDX coming to NA market.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony Pac

thanks for sharing!

This a great news and that’s what I predicted a few months ago

the only thing is missing from this article: when is CDX coming to NA market.
current CDX will not be available in our market
Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobby2478
Just be prepared to wait up to another year and a half. Also be prepared to spend roughly 10k more as next gen will not only have higher sticker it will sell at full MSRP (maybe more at first) for close to the first year on the market. It should sell even better than the rdx is and with as hot as its selling there's little incentive to discount.

That's why I ultimately decided to just bite the bullet and buy a 19 instead as those can be had for under invoice.
Base MSRP between the base 3G MDX and the upcoming 4G shouldn’t be much different like the RDX. It will also have more standard features vs the current.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joshuaren

The ILX just received (another) refresh so I don’t know why its even on this list. Priorities as of right now are the TLX and MDX. After those 2 are on the market, we should start hearing/seeing information about the next RLX/ILX. I still think Acura could use more models. An entry level, next gen CDX would make sense as the small luxury crossover segment is growing. I’d also like to see a return of the CL Coupe (CLX) to combat the Audi A/S5, BMW 4-Series etc etc. I’d also like to see a sexy 4 door coupe version of the next generation RLX to compete with the Audi A/S7 and the Mercedes CLS450/53.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:29 AM
AZ Community Team

The ILX just received (another) refresh so I don’t know why its even on this list. Priorities as of right now are the TLX and MDX. After those 2 are on the market, we should start hearing/seeing information about the next RLX/ILX. I still think Acura could use more models. An entry level, next gen CDX would make sense as the small luxury crossover segment is growing. I’d also like to see a return of the CL Coupe (CLX) to combat the Audi A/S5, BMW 4-Series etc etc. I’d also like to see a sexy 4 door coupe version of the next generation RLX to compete with the Audi A/S7 and the Mercedes CLS450/53.
You got a great list but very ambitious
if Acura ever grows it’s lineup, it would like to se:
CDX
ZDZ
TLX coupe
And of course redesigned TLX, MDX, ILX and RLX ASAP!

I will be more than happy
Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the ILX is on a very old platform now so it would make sense that this MMC would have a shorter production run - like 2 years instead of 3. The RLX was a sales fail and with sedans falling out of favor I don’t think the bean counters at Honda would green-light a new one.

I would love for them to come out with an AWD TLX coupe (and type s version), but sadly I think that’s just wishful thinking.

Acura does need to expand their range, but Jon Ikeda keeps saying they want to focus on core models.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
With CUVs dominating sales, it would make absolutely no sense for Acura to introduce a brand new ILX before a CDX. With sedan sales the way they are, the TLX is all they need. If they want a second car, make a coupe version of the CTR and call it RSX. To replace the RLX, slot a new flagship CUV above the MDX.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone,

see the link below. is from Acura Connected. they are testing a MDX Type S.

Link: Acura MDX Test Mule Spied ? Acura Connected
Old 01-28-2019, 10:56 PM
Racer

Funny that people defended Acura for so long when Acura themselves even knew the product took a turn for the worse. Kind of odd to hear the dealers admit they have stale product they have been trying to sell for years.
"For the past few years, we've had some stale product to work with. The dealer board has been very vocal with the manufacturer about our need for new product. And now we're seeing Acura management deliver on making it happen."
Old 01-28-2019, 11:25 PM
There are four lights!

Funny that people defended Acura for so long when Acura themselves even knew the product took a turn for the worse. Kind of odd to hear the dealers admit they have stale product they have been trying to sell for years.
"For the past few years, we've had some stale product to work with. The dealer board has been very vocal with the manufacturer about our need for new product. And now we're seeing Acura management deliver on making it happen."
Yeah, years of crappy management can do that. Jon Ikeda so far is doing a bang up job righting the ship. For anyone that follows the tech industry, same thing is happening at AMD under Lisa Su.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed

Yeah, years of crappy management can do that. Jon Ikeda so far is doing a bang up job righting the ship. For anyone that follows the tech industry, same thing is happening at AMD under Lisa Su.
Acura misfortunes arent ted to Ikeda or AHM (American Honda Motor) as the issues stem from the Japanese upper management and the shareholders. Those are the folks who control the resources and they’re extremely ignorant in regards to the luxury segments and modern luxury/performance expectations. AHM needs full control of American Honda and Acura. Trust me, you would see DRASTIC changes if that happened.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Racer

Base MSRP between the base 3G MDX and the upcoming 4G shouldn’t be much different like the RDX. It will also have more standard features vs the current.
Compare the MSRP of the most expensive 2018 rdx and the range topping 2019 rdx, the most expensive rdx went up about 7k MSRP from last year. And it is still largely selling for around full MSRP outside of a few deals here and there.

The 2019 MDX is already almost 62k MSRP, redesign range topping trim will easily be pushing 67k (which is what a fully loaded Qx60 goes for in 2019).

Considering invoice on a 19 Advance with Entertainment is about 57k and assuming next gen MDX sells at full invoice for some time and you will be paying roughly an extra 10k for the next gen. They won't have trouble selling them as fast as they can make them even at that price.

I couldn't wait but even if I could it wouldn't be worth an extra 10k to me as at that point the Q7 comes into play.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Racer

If you want to talk about stale products look no further than Infiniti, most of their models outside the new Qx50 are about 9 years into their current design outside of a minor grill refresh. And they'll continue to age another few years until they are ready to electrify their lineup.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 PM
Racer

If you want to talk about stale products look no further than Infiniti, most of their models outside the new Qx50 are about 9 years into their current design outside of a minor grill refresh. And they'll continue to age another few years until they are ready to electrify their lineup.
That's probably why Acura and Infiniti are looked upon as second rate quasi luxury. They really need to get their acts together.
The Lexus RX outsells the RDX and MDX combined. Maybe that will change with the MDX redesign.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 AM
Instructor

I highly doubt they launch a full redesign of the TLX for 2019 (as a 2020). I would bet on a S Type variant of the current TLX generation instead. There have already been spy shots showing a TLX that looked beefed up under camo (it wasn't a full redesign).
those mules were the new platform and drivetrains using current TLX body panels from the b-pillar back which is why the front end was covered as the front was the new cars body panels. Also if you look at the dash/axle ratio of the mules, its different vs the current TLX. Also the fender flares on the rear tell me the track is wider. The current TLX cant support the new drivetrains which will be a 2.0t and a 3.0t.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 AM
Instructor

That's probably why Acura and Infiniti are looked upon as second rate quasi luxury. They really need to get their acts together.
The Lexus RX outsells the RDX and MDX combined. Maybe that will change with the MDX redesign.
I work for Toyota/Lexus and other than reliability, I’m not sure why the RX sells so well. Its as exciting to drive as a toaster.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
Racer

I work for Toyota/Lexus and other than reliability, I’m not sure why the RX sells so well. Its as exciting to drive as a toaster.
And they're always slow to the game for introducing new tech, for example they've been holding off on incorporating Android auto and Apple Carplay.

I'd have seriously considered the rx350l if it had those, as well as was more comparable size wise to the mdx (rx350l is tiny) and was more exciting to drive. It's in the same price point not like it was radically more expensive
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Racer

They're entry level luxury (not on par with Lexus BMW Mercedes range rover audi Porsche etc) because they aren't as luxurious in terms of materials or options, aren't as expensive, and don't quite have the reputation to be considered true luxury. Which is fine because they have carved out a nice niche in the entry luxury space. Even audi has struggled to be considered truly a luxury car that is on par with BMW Mercedes range rover jaguar and Porsche, only over the past 6 years or so have they really started to force their way into the discussion for being a true luxury brand
Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

They're entry level luxury (not on par with Lexus BMW Mercedes range rover audi Porsche etc) because they aren't as luxurious in terms of materials or options, aren't as expensive, and don't quite have the reputation to be considered true luxury. Which is fine because they have carved out a nice niche in the entry luxury space. Even audi has struggled to be considered truly a luxury car that is on par with BMW Mercedes range rover jaguar and Porsche, only over the past 6 years or so have they really started to force their way into the discussion for being a true luxury brand
100% agreed about Audi.
And even now, a group of people stay away from Audi since they are built on VW platform and people find a lot of similarities between VW and Audi.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Racer

The RX interior blows the current MDX away but the driving dynamics are definitely terrible. Feels like you are going to tip over if you take a turn a little bit aggressively. If you don't drive like that ever I can see it's appeal.

Acura has pretty much abandoned it's tier 1 luxury ambitions and turned back to the Type-S performance angle. We sell fast cars! They partnered with Penske to try to reignite that image.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Racer

Jon Ikeda almost begging the dealers to hang in there, better times are on the way. It's refreshing to have them admit the public was right, the product was not good. Hopefully, the redesigned MDX steps it up a couple of notches.

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16373974

Last edited by EE4Life; 01-30-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Changed link to Acura Precision Magazine thread
Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Racer

The RX interior blows the current MDX away but the driving dynamics are definitely terrible. Feels like you are going to tip over if you take a turn a little bit aggressively. If you don't drive like that ever I can see it's appeal.

Acura has pretty much abandoned it's tier 1 luxury ambitions and turned back to the Type-S performance angle. We sell fast cars! They partnered with Penske to try to reignite that image.
Just like Cadillac Lincoln Infiniti and others there is a market for tier 2 luxury brands and so Acura can definitely compete in this space with more emphasis on performance, hopefully they continue to improve the luxury of their products as I think they have to do to compete with those other brands. Infiniti also used to skimp out on luxury and have changed recently to really upgrade the luxury of their new products. If Acura really wants to compete they'll have to continue to upgrade luxury, which the new rdx is a good first step.

Agree 100% about RX interior luxury and driving dynamics. My other gripe is the new L model while having a 3rd row is so much smaller than the mdx it isn't really usable. If it were similar size and had android auto and Apple Carplay I'd really have thought about buying it over the mdx.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 PM
Racer

Just like Cadillac Lincoln Infiniti and others there is a market for tier 2 luxury brands and so Acura can definitely compete in this space with more emphasis on performance, hopefully they continue to improve the luxury of their products as I think they have to do to compete with those other brands. Infiniti also used to skimp out on luxury and have changed recently to really upgrade the luxury of their new products. If Acura really wants to compete they'll have to continue to upgrade luxury, which the new rdx is a good first step.

Agree 100% about RX interior luxury and driving dynamics. My other gripe is the new L model while having a 3rd row is so much smaller than the mdx it isn't really usable. If it were similar size and had android auto and Apple Carplay I'd really have thought about buying it over the mdx.
Yeah, I thought the RXL was going to be an MDX killer but they kind of phoned it in. It looks like they just shoved a third row in and stretched it a bit. If they include their new torque vectoring AWD (improve driving dynamics) and continue to exceed Acura on luxury, it might be big trouble for the MDX.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Racer

Yeah, I thought the RXL was going to be an MDX killer but they kind of phoned it in. It looks like they just shoved a third row in and stretched it a bit. If they include their new torque vectoring AWD (improve driving dynamics) and continue to exceed Acura on luxury, it might be big trouble for the MDX.
The current rxl in my opinion isn't much of a threat to the mdx for people really looking for 3 rows and enough usable space for a family. It could take some business away from the regular RX as if u are going to buy that why not get extra cargo space even if u never use the 3rd row.

If they make a true 3 row comparable in size (cargo and passenger space) to the mdx and finally improve their infotainment and add android auto/apple car play then definitely the mdx has another serious competitor. Even more so if they improve the AWD, improve handling and power and fuel economy.

If it's about the same size, drives similar, has comparable power (acceleration) and fuel economy but has a true luxury interior with Lexus reliability for about the same price I'd have bought it instead of the mdx
Old 02-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Besides the power improvement (both TQ and HP) I'm hoping the MDX Type-S version comes with wider tires.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah if you can wait, I definitely would. It would be the worst time to buy a new MDX right now if the 2020 is the redesign. You aren't getting the closeout deal for it being the last year of the generation and you bought a old design you're stuck with that immediately looks dated (the interior is really hurting- the new grille helped a bit though).
The counter to that perspective is that all of the bugs and problems are worked through at the end of a design generation, and they tend to be much more reliable.

This is my buying dilemma There are several to many aspects of Acura’s current designs that really irritate me. So much so that I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma because of my continued disappointment. Am still considering an MDX to replace my TL-S, I think their last great design, but not sure I want to deal with the issues of a new design release.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
2020 MDX PMC edition will be announced in NY next week. Basically a Canadian Elite (A-spec with Advance features) version for the US except it's being built by hand.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/11/...alongside-nsx/

Looks like I'll be looking to get deal on a 2019 in the next month or two.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 AM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by MrJames
2020 MDX PMC edition will be announced in NY next week. Basically a Canadian Elite (A-spec with Advance features) version for the US except it's being built by hand.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/11/...alongside-nsx/

Looks like I'll be looking to get deal on a 2019 in the next month or two.
So this marketing stunt basically admits that there will be no new Acura products this year. Other than the RDX, it's going to be a boring year for the brand.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
So this marketing stunt basically admits that there will be no new Acura products this year. Other than the RDX, it's going to be a boring year for the brand.
Or you could look at it from the perspective that they are trying to learn lessons from the RDX which has some brand new technology (including infotainment) to hopefully launch the new MDX on the right foot instead of rushing it and having to mitigate tons of issues with it (also allowing resources to be dedicated to fixing RDX issues instead of being spread across that and finishing up MDX for launch). Although who knows what the rationale for it is
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Racer

Or you could look at it from the perspective that they are trying to learn lessons from the RDX which has some brand new technology (including infotainment) to hopefully launch the new MDX on the right foot instead of rushing it and having to mitigate tons of issues with it (also allowing resources to be dedicated to fixing RDX issues instead of being spread across that and finishing up MDX for launch). Although who knows what the rationale for it is
"Because we can"

Seems silly to release this. Should maybe get those expert technicians over to the RDX assembly line to help them instead of wasting their time hand building an Accord+.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM
There are four lights!

Absolutely. If no new vehicles this year means we get better launches next year, I'm all for that. But knowing Acura, they'll probably find a way to bungle it up. Honda in the past had made promises to improve QC, but have things really improved? Between infotainment problems and oil dilution issues, it's hard not to be a pessimist when it comes to the brand.