2020 Acura MDX Redesign Odds - Page 3 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2020 Acura MDX Redesign Odds

Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

That doesnt mean the RDX shares the same platform as the CRV. There are usually things you can measure to prove this as you can with MDX/PILOT , TLX/ACCORD (last GEN) (both are on the same wheelbase )
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

With no word or leaked images I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to launch redesign 4th gen MDX this year (as a 2020 MY). So looking like it will be next year instead (as a 2021 MY in calendar year 2020). Detroit Auto Show is next week and if they were doing it this year they'd reveal it there first, but would have teased images to generate buzz in advance of the show which they have not
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
Most of this is false.
LOL exactly what I was arguing. The lead engineer is an American as the vehicle was designed and built in the USA by Americans. They wouldn't push so hard on the completely redesigned new platform if it was just a rebadged CRV. Most luxury manufacturers now don't use the exact same platform between their non luxury and luxury cars, they are different vehicles now not just the same thing with different window dressing like they used to be
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skarface View Post
The 2015 TLX was revealed at the Detroit Auto show so I'm thinking Acura will stay consistent. We'll see in a few days.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...rototype-live/
Every new model including redesign and refresh have first been introduced at the Detroit Auto Show which is next week. So if anything new for this year they would reveal it there. Considering they haven't even released teaser images of a new release in advance of the show to generate buzz I'd say it's very unlikely they are doing any redesigns this year, but we'll find out next week
Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Every new model including redesign and refresh have first been introduced at the Detroit Auto Show which is next week. So if anything new for this year they would reveal it there. Considering they haven't even released teaser images of a new release in advance of the show to generate buzz I'd say it's very unlikely they are doing any redesigns this year, but we'll find out next week
realtically it won’t be there.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post

realtically it won’t be there.
Agreed. If it were they'd have had to test it on roads and tracks and there hasn't been a single spy shot of the car with camo pop up anywhere so I doubt they are doing it this year
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Every MDX redesign has been revealed at the New York Auto Show later in the year. The last TLX was revealed at the Detroit auto show.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

LOL exactly what I was arguing. The lead engineer is an American as the vehicle was designed and built in the USA by Americans. They wouldn't push so hard on the completely redesigned new platform if it was just a rebadged CRV. Most luxury manufacturers now don't use the exact same platform between their non luxury and luxury cars, they are different vehicles now not just the same thing with different window dressing like they used to be
You do realize Jon Ikeda already has basically conceded Acura is not a real Luxury brand like a Mercedes etc.? It's great that some buyers are still under the illusion their Acura is a real luxury vehicle but Acura themselves have already given up that battle. They are focusing on "Precision Crafted Performance". Basically higher performance Hondas that are nicer than a Honda. I think that's their sweet spot and will work well.

I'm not saying it's the same exact platform or a rebadged crv but it's not different enough to me to brag about it. I'm not sure what the reference to everyone being American means though. Do you think the Canadian crv with a pano roof is built in a bubble? What amazing engineering did the Canadian crv get vs the amazing engineering the Rdx got. You guys can't be this gullible?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/seven-questions-acura-boss-jon-ikeda/

Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

I guess since we haven't seen any camo MDXs and the prototypes are at the Detroit Auto, we probably won't see it this year.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Too early to say a new MDX isn't coming this year. TLX is rumored to be coming first. If we don't get any hints or leaks by April when the NY Auto Show happens then it probably won't be out this year. Jeff from TOV mentioned seeing test mules with heavy camo bags on the front with Honda Pilot body work at an Acura event in Ohio. These are likely the mules for for the new MDX that were alongside the TLX mules.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Every MDX redesign has been revealed at the New York Auto Show later in the year. The last TLX was revealed at the Detroit auto show.
Go back and look as early as the 3rd gen MDX reveal in 2013, it was at Detroit first, so MDX and RDX always were first revealed at Detroit in January then subsequently shown again in NY later in the year. New vehicles typically hit sales floors in the spring.

Biggest change is this is the last year Detroit will be in January, next year its moving to June. And a lot of manufacturers aren't at Detroit this year for that reason. So Acura could be breaking the trend here too.

Regardless of auto show, if they were putting finishing touches on a production ready 4th gen MDX we'd have seen camo shots of it undergoing testing by now (as it would go on sale in 6 months) and we haven't seen anything. That's the stronger indication nothing is coming this year for the MDX. They could be working on a Type S TLX as there have been camo shots of a beefed up TLX in the past few months.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

You do realize Jon Ikeda already has basically conceded Acura is not a real Luxury brand like a Mercedes etc.? It's great that some buyers are still under the illusion their Acura is a real luxury vehicle but Acura themselves have already given up that battle. They are focusing on "Precision Crafted Performance". Basically higher performance Hondas that are nicer than a Honda. I think that's their sweet spot and will work well.

I'm not saying it's the same exact platform or a rebadged crv but it's not different enough to me to brag about it. I'm not sure what the reference to everyone being American means though. Do you think the Canadian crv with a pano roof is built in a bubble? What amazing engineering did the Canadian crv get vs the amazing engineering the Rdx got. You guys can't be this gullible?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/seve...oss-jon-ikeda/

How's the handling of that Canadian pano roof CRV, I wonder? Does anyone who buys them care?

We currently have a 2018 CRV Touring AWD sharing a garage with a 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD. Both are very nice vehicles for their intended market, but they are very different. CRV gets the nod for practicality and efficiency, RDX gets it for performance and handling. I don't think there's a singe piece of the chassis or drivetrain that's shared between them. Our 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD is the third point of the triangle; it's the cruiser.

If we have a baby pool going I'm putting my cash on a 2021 MY MDX introduction early in the 2020 calendar year. But maybe Acura will turn over a new leaf and iron out the bugs before they release it later in 2020.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I was right No MDX at Detroit auto show. TLX will be in NY auto show. I am not sure 100% if MDX will be revealed this year or next year at Detroit auto show.

Let the countdown begins for 2020 TLX
Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

The fact that Acura introduced an A-Spec variant for MY2019 is telling that 3G MDX will live on till MY2020. It would be a waste of resources if the 3G MDX A-Spec doesn't sell for at least a couple years. This year is TLX and the introduction of the first Type-S model. I suppose there could be chance that Acura may prototype the 4G MDX later in the year (LA auto show?) with sales in 2020 spring?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

It could actually be even later. Manufacturers usually run models for about 3 years for ROI, but that will make it really long in the tooth, so my bet is still on 2021 (while calling it a 2022 model).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
I was right No MDX at Detroit auto show. TLX will be in NY auto show. I am not sure 100% if MDX will be revealed this year or next year at Detroit auto show.

Let the countdown begins for 2020 TLX
I highly doubt they launch a full redesign of the TLX for 2019 (as a 2020). I would bet on a S Type variant of the current TLX generation instead. There have already been spy shots showing a TLX that looked beefed up under camo (it wasn't a full redesign).
Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post
The fact that Acura introduced an A-Spec variant for MY2019 is telling that 3G MDX will live on till MY2020. It would be a waste of resources if the 3G MDX A-Spec doesn't sell for at least a couple years. This year is TLX and the introduction of the first Type-S model. I suppose there could be chance that Acura may prototype the 4G MDX later in the year (LA auto show?) with sales in 2020 spring?
But A-spec is just a styling variant, so the investment of resources is small. And it's well worth it if it keeps sales sorta going while they ( hopefully ) get their sh1t together for the 4G introduction.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Wander View Post
But A-spec is just a styling variant, so the investment of resources is small. And it's well worth it if it keeps sales sorta going while they ( hopefully ) get their sh1t together for the 4G introduction.
True, it might be a smaller investment, but I think Acura is trying to keep the vehicle as fresh as possible knowing that the 4G is still a year or two away. Personally, I want to see the 4G sooner than later. When my TLX lease is done in August 2020, I'm planning on moving into a MDX.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post
True, it might be a smaller investment, but I think Acura is trying to keep the vehicle as fresh as possible knowing that the 4G is still a year or two away. Personally, I want to see the 4G sooner than later. When my TLX lease is done in August 2020, I'm planning on moving into a MDX.
Suvs are where the money is and with the volume of RDX they've been selling after the refresh there's no way the 4th gen MDX won't be out by next year. I'd suspect it's a year away but not more than that. They are selling RDX like hotcakes now and they'll want to cash in on that with the MDX too. Every month since new RDX came out they've set new sales records each month