2020 Acura MDX Redesign Odds

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Keep an eye on the Detroit auto show in January, if Acura is launching a redesign it will be introduced there.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Keep an eye on the Detroit auto show in January, if Acura is launching a redesign it will be introduced there.
Highly doubt....2019 MDX was just released...

May be 2020 TLX but even that I am not sure.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Highly doubt....2019 MDX was just released...

May be 2020 TLX but even that I am not sure.
It's definitely not happening. The MDX follows a strict 7 year cycle and I do not see that changing any time soon. Besides, it doesn't need to. It's still selling very very strongly.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RDX10
It's definitely not happening. The MDX follows a strict 7 year cycle and I do not see that changing any time soon. Besides, it doesn't need to. It's still selling very very strongly.
well said! They are pushing 50,000 units annually. There is no need.
But QX60 just came up with limited edition. Meaning they are going to come up with the new QX60 next year. Acura needs to be ready
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
MDX and TLX sales are down. TLX sales being down makes sense with the trend of moving towards SUVs. The MDX having lower sales and not picking up the slack is worrisome. The RDX redesign has sales up. I would think Acura is pushing to release this new design out to all the vehicles ASAP.

The first gen MDX was on a 6 year cycle (2001-2006 model years) and second gen was 7 years (2007-2013). I recall the reasoning by extending a year for the second gen MDX was the tsunami and earthquake troubles that hit Japan set Honda back quite a bit.

Acura MDX US car sales figures
Acura TLX US car sales figures

Last edited by skarface; 12-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Racer

Acura USA November 2018 Sales Report ? Acura Connected
Old 12-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skarface
MDX and TLX sales are down. TLX sales being down makes sense with the trend of moving towards SUVs. The MDX having lower sales and not picking up the slack is worrisome. The RDX redesign has sales up. I would think Acura is pushing to release this new design out to all the vehicles ASAP.

The first gen MDX was on a 6 year cycle (2001-2006 model years) and second gen was 7 years (2007-2013). I recall the reasoning by extending a year for the second gen MDX was the tsunami and earthquake troubles that hit Japan set Honda back quite a bit.

Acura MDX US car sales figures
Acura TLX US car sales figures
I don't know why I was under the impression that the MDX came out in 2000. Even then I still do not see a redesign till 2020 for the 2021 model year. I think sales are down for the MDX because of the RDX. It's grown a lot since the 1G days and it's more attractive with better technology for a lower price.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
This is incorrect. Gen 1 had a 6 year run where Gen 2 had a 7 year run. Who knows if Gen 3 will run for 6 or 7 years. Besides 3rd gen MDX came out 1 year after redesigned rdx so who knows if they follow similar pattern here or not
Old 12-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Racer

well said! They are pushing 50,000 units annually. There is no need.
But QX60 just came up with limited edition. Meaning they are going to come up with the new QX60 next year. Acura needs to be ready
This is completely false. Infiniti came out with a new QX50 this year but QX60 is same as last year except for limited trim. Infiniti has said time and time again they are working on electrifying their lineup and are holding off on all other redesigns so they can include their new electrified platforms and that is also when they'll introduce new infotainment system. There is a reason the QX80 only got a light exterior only refresh in spite of it being on year 9 in its current form basically.

Electrification won't happen until 2021 or later so QX60 won't be redesigned for at least another couple of years I'd guess.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:18 PM
AZ Community Team

This is completely false. Infiniti came out with a new QX50 this year but QX60 is same as last year except for limited trim. Infiniti has said time and time again they are working on electrifying their lineup and are holding off on all other redesigns so they can include their new electrified platforms and that is also when they'll introduce new infotainment system. There is a reason the QX80 only got a light exterior only refresh in spite of it being on year 9 in its current form basically.

Electrification won't happen until 2021 or later so QX60 won't be redesigned for at least another couple of years I'd guess.
I don’t disagree with you. The reason I said limited edition of QX60 was just released, usuallycar comoanies release limited edition before the intro of new model.

You are absolutely right about the new infotainment and models until 2021. Even better for Acura. 2-3 years to fix the entire lineup with new design and engines.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
The MDX A spec was just released. There is no way they will bring in another model that quick.
They will let the A spec marinate a bit before cooking a new model.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

This is incorrect. Gen 1 had a 6 year run where Gen 2 had a 7 year run. Who knows if Gen 3 will run for 6 or 7 years. Besides 3rd gen MDX came out 1 year after redesigned rdx so who knows if they follow similar pattern here or not
As mentioned above, I made a mistake and the 1G was only 6 years yes. I still am certain the next year model is not a redesign. The ILX just got its 3rd refresh and that car is not doing so hot.

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
The MDX A spec was just released. There is no way they will bring in another model that quick.
They will let the A spec marinate a bit before cooking a new model.
Exactly.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Racer

I don’t disagree with you. The reason I said limited edition of QX60 was just released, usuallycar comoanies release limited edition before the intro of new model.

You are absolutely right about the new infotainment and models until 2021. Even better for Acura. 2-3 years to fix the entire lineup with new design and engines.
Yeah the only part that was incorrect was the part about Infiniti releasing a redesign QX60 sometime next year. They've said they are waiting for all redesigns on all models until after electrification which will be 2021 or later which is also why so many of their models are very stale going on 9 or 10+ years in current form with no immediate redesign on the horizon
Old 12-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd be happy with a 2nd MMC for the MDX. The RDX needed a full redesign to bring it up to date. The MDX is already there on the exterior design. Update the headlights from 5 to 7 or more LEDs and maybe some minor fascia tweaks. Carryover both V6 engines. The transmissions with the new updates seems to have addressed most of the problems so carry those over. The main complaints now are the interior. Add a pano roof, ELS 3D, HUD and the infotainment system that RDX owners are beta testing. Add power thigh extensions and a few tech upgrades like wireless charging and a digital dash on the tech or advance packages.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrJames
I'd be happy with a 2nd MMC for the MDX. The RDX needed a full redesign to bring it up to date. The MDX is already there on the exterior design. Update the headlights from 5 to 7 or more LEDs and maybe some minor fascia tweaks. Carryover both V6 engines. The transmissions with the new updates seems to have addressed most of the problems so carry those over. The main complaints now are the interior. Add a pano roof, ELS 3D, HUD and the infotainment system that RDX owners are beta testing. Add power thigh extensions and a few tech upgrades like wireless charging and a digital dash on the tech or advance packages.
There was a video where the lead engineer on the RDX explained how they got the pano roof onto the RDX without sacrificing structural rigidity for handling and strength for safety and roof crush strength. In essence the pano roof was a key piece that they designed the rest of the car around. So there's no way to simply cut a bigger hole in the roof of the mdx without too many sacrifices in other areas if it would be strong enough to do in the first place.

So we won't see any new infotainment or interior or pano until the redesign. Most of the tricky design engineering stuff was already done with the RDX so it's just modifying that rather than starting from scratch. Although it's increasingly looking unlikely it will launch next year. Even Infiniti teased an image about a prototype electrified suv design they'll introduce in Detroit next month even though they won't be rolling out their new designs until after 2021 yet not a peep from Acura regarding a mdx being introduced in Detroit.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Racer

Doesn't the pilot already have the pano roof?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Racer

Doesn't the pilot already have the pano roof?
I believe so but the pilot is different than the mdx, it isn't the same vehicle with just different branding. It was part of the vehicles initial design and wasn't added on later by just cutting a bigger hole in the roof. Where the MDX was never designed with a panoramic sunroof
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Racer

I believe so but the pilot is different than the mdx, it isn't the same vehicle with just different branding. It was part of the vehicles initial design and wasn't added on later by just cutting a bigger hole in the roof. Where the MDX was never designed with a panoramic sunroof
They are very closely related and share a platform. If they are able to put a pano roof on a Pilot now, I would think they are able to do it to the MDX. They are probably just leaving it off so they can market the addition of a standard pano roof on the redesign.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:28 AM
AZ Community Team

They are very closely related and share a platform. If they are able to put a pano roof on a Pilot now, I would think they are able to do it to the MDX. They are probably just leaving it off so they can market the addition of a standard pano roof on the redesign.
exactly! MDX is selling well and Acura wants to come up with a full reseaign in 2019 as 2020 model.

Its all marketing and strategy. Acura was lost for the last 10 years, they just woke up
They did an excellent debut for RDX and in 2019, they will do a similar marketing for TLX.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Instructor

The Pilot has a two part pano roof. A standard moonroof with a second window in the ceiling further back over the 2nd/3rd rows with a power shade. There is a space in between the two where the entertainment system can fit. I would expect the new MDX will have a large single cutout like the RDX when it eventually arrives. I agree that a redesigned frame will be needed for it but I don't think the all new MDX will look dramatically different from the current model on the outside. For the first time, all Acura models now have the pentagon grill and styling cues that they plan on keeping for a while.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Racer

They cannot and won't add it to the current mdx. Next gen MDX will have one and the structural design will be similar to the rdx. A lot of complex engineering went into the structure of the rdx and they'll leverage those lessons with the next gen mdx
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (01-09-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Racer

They most likely could add it to the MDX, but probably won't until the redesign. Do you think the CRV could have a panoramic moonroof? Given the RDX started with the CRV platform and was tweaked until they called it an exclusive platform and it has a panoramic moonroof, I would think so. No additional complex engineering needed since it's already done. They don't offer a pano moonroof on the CRV in the USA currently. Is that an complex engineering problem or business/marketing? Well, the CRV in Canada has a panoramic moonroof and has had it for years. I wouldn't be so quick to buy the Honda marketing and explanations on how difficult some things are. I don't think they design in a bubble and if they figured out how to reinforce and design the Pilot to have a pano roof it could relatively easily be applied to its platform-mate MDX. Just wouldn't make financial sense to add that feature if it's not necessary to sell in volume and they could use it as a feature on the redesign.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Racer

They most likely could add it to the MDX, but probably won't until the redesign. Do you think the CRV could have a panoramic moonroof? Given the RDX started with the CRV platform and was tweaked until they called it an exclusive platform and it has a panoramic moonroof, I would think so. No additional complex engineering needed since it's already done. They don't offer a pano moonroof on the CRV in the USA currently. Is that an complex engineering problem or business/marketing? Well, the CRV in Canada has a panoramic moonroof and has had it for years. I wouldn't be so quick to buy the Honda marketing and explanations on how difficult some things are. I don't think they design in a bubble and if they figured out how to reinforce and design the Pilot to have a pano roof it could relatively easily be applied to its platform-mate MDX. Just wouldn't make financial sense to add that feature if it's not necessary to sell in volume and they could use it as a feature on the redesign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZo7dKmJKjs
Watch the following video which is an in depth interview with the lead engineer on the new RDX explaining challenges getting the pano roof on the RDX while maintaining structural rigidity for performance and handling in addition to crush strength of the roof by adding a large pano roof. Also they explain additional structural challenges for the rear liftgate.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...toline-972981/

They solved this by engineering the entire frame of the vehicle around those features in addition to focusing on best possible safety rating (which is a challenge). Most of this is only made possible by new hot stamped steel rings used for the frame (new technology) and new steel as well (none of this is part of the MDX).

So yes they can cut a big hole in roof of mdx and watch their safety rating for roof crush strength go down the tubes in addition to lessening rigidity in the frame making the vehicle much less sure footed and stable for handling. Also don't forget the 2nd row middle seat belt which is in the roof as well as 3rd row seat belts.
gatrhumpy (01-09-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Racer

Watch the following video which is an in depth interview with the lead engineer on the new RDX explaining challenges getting the pano roof on the RDX while maintaining structural rigidity for performance and handling in addition to crush strength of the roof by adding a large pano roof. Also they explain additional structural challenges for the rear liftgate.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...toline-972981/

They solved this by engineering the entire frame of the vehicle around those features in addition to focusing on best possible safety rating (which is a challenge). Most of this is only made possible by new hot stamped steel rings used for the frame (new technology) and new steel as well (none of this is part of the MDX).

So yes they can cut a big hole in roof of mdx and watch their safety rating for roof crush strength go down the tubes in addition to lessening rigidity in the frame making the vehicle much less sure footed and stable for handling. Also don't forget the 2nd row middle seat belt which is in the roof as well as 3rd row seat belts.
That's just marketing the vehicle. The RDX is based on the CRV. As much as they try to market it as an exclusive design they admit they started with the CRV and tweaked it to stiffen it up for the SHAWD. So technically it isn't exactly the same but if someone takes an existing design and tweaks it, I wouldn't necessarily think bragging about it being an exclusive design is noteworthy. The CRV with the similar RDX platform has had a pano roof for a few years. It was already stiff enough to handle a pano roof. The guy is just marketing to Americans.

The Pilot has a pano roof. The Pilot is based on the same platform as the MDX. If they wanted to use the process for using a pano roof in a Pilot on an MDX and get the same safety ratings at the Pilot they could. They chose not to offer that. They'll probably get another marketing video like this one out after the redesign about how advanced the engineering had to be to put a pano roof in a 3 row SUV as if they didn't already offer it for years through the Honda Pilot.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Racer

I'm not going to continue to argue with you because at the end of the day I can guarantee you that Acura WILL NOT add a pano roof on the 3rd gen MDX, that's not how Acura works. They simply don't make radical changes to a vehicle outside of their usual redesign cycle (which is why interior on 2019 is same design as 2014 with very minor changes in 6 years).

We both agree Acura WILL add a pano roof to the 4th gen MDX whenever that's released be it 2019 or 2020.

There's no point arguing about something we both agree won't happen on the 3rd gen, and both agree will happen on the 4th gen.

My point was simply a lot goes into adding a pano roof beyond just cutting a bigger hole in the roof
gatrhumpy (01-09-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Racer

Agreed. My point was the engineering to cut that bigger hole is already done since the platform mate Pilot already has one. It would have the same safety rating as the Pilot. I don't think Acura is not putting an extra feature in the MDX (pano roof) because it's a complex engineering feat. It's a cost issue. No need to give us a feature that won't stop people from buying the current MDX as is. They seem to have to offer more features on Hondas since its more competitive in that segment with higher volume of vehicles sold. Acura seems to get the new features after Honda shoulders the R&D cost. The 2.0L turbo is another example of that. The Civic got it then it was tweaked for Acura. Same goes for the 10 speed. It was already being used on Hondas.

Same goes for the RDX. The CRV has had a pano roof for years in Canada with the new platform it shares with the RDX. They didn't build the RDX around the hole in the roof. The CRV already was built. Anything a Acura rep says otherwise is just marketing.

Last edited by skarface; 12-19-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 AM
Racer

Acura is designed and built here in the USA while Honda is mostly designed in Japan even though they build a lot of Hondas here in the USA now.

The pilot and mdx may "share a platform" same with RDX and CRV but they are not the same vehicle. Honda and Acura do share things like parts and some features and technology as they are each under the Honda umbrella but they are not the same company or vehicle. Acura does their own design they don't just borrow Hondas design and rehash the same vehicle. Right here says the new RDX is on a brand new platform designed and built in the USA by Acura and isn't on the same platform as the CRV

https://www.motor1.com/news/238036/a...-platform/amp/

Last edited by bobby2478; 12-20-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Racer

Acura is designed and built here in the USA while Honda is mostly designed in Japan even though they build a lot of Hondas here in the USA now.

The pilot and mdx may "share a platform" same with RDX and CRV but they are not the same vehicle. Honda and Acura do share things like parts and some features and technology as they are each under the Honda umbrella but they are not the same company or vehicle. Acura does their own design they don't just borrow Hondas design and rehash the same vehicle. Right here says the new RDX is on a brand new platform designed and built in the USA by Acura and isn't on the same platform as the CRV

https://www.motor1.com/news/238036/a...-platform/amp/
Its a tweaked platform that was strengthened for the additional power in the RDX...he's just trying to market the vehicle. The "we always think of efficiencies" part of his statement is that they started with the CRV platform and made the changes necessary. They didn't actually want a different platform but had to since the CRV platform was too weak to handle the additional power/stresses. There is another video where they pointed out the differences between the CRV platform that they started with. Since no other vehicle they sell shares the tweaked platform yet, it's "Acura Exclusive". It's a bit disingenuous of them to market it like that but it's apparently working.

Outside of most of North America, the Acura badge doesn't even exist. It's a marketing badge for mostly Americans since they are less likely to buy a 'luxury' vehicle if it was a Honda. The Honda NSX is what the world gets. The Acura RLX is sold in Japan as the Honda Legend, etc. I'm not saying Acuras are just rebadged Hondas but they can and do share a lot of similarities - the pano roof could be one similarity to share if they chose to. Acuras are usually much better versions of there Honda platform-mate which is why I think it's odd that Acura has been left in the cold while the Honda versions have all the goodies. The Hondas got the infotainment updates with carplay, pano roof, etc. first. It looks like they are changing course now, which is great. It will be interesting to see what they put in the new MDX.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
I wonder if the new 2-row Honda Passport based on a Pilot chassis but without the extra row of seats and 6 inches shorter signals a new MDX that is market-equivalent larger (think GMC Yukon or VW Atlas); followed a few years later my a new Acura SUV model (ZDX?) based on the Passport; and sized in between the new larger RDX and a new larger MDX.

What Id really like to see in an MDX is a sport hybrid with the bigger 3.5 liter engine. I don’t want to drop down to the 3.0 liter engine. I drove a 2010 MDX (with the 3.7 liter engine) and a 2016 RLX with 3.5 liter plus the 3 hybrid motors. I’d like the extra horsepower and torque more than I’d miss the fuel economy.

380 HP and 24 MPG in the current gen MDX with Apple CarPlay? I’ll take it.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
I wonder if the new 2-row Honda Passport based on a Pilot chassis but without the extra row of seats and 6 inches shorter signals a new MDX that is market-equivalent larger (think GMC Yukon or VW Atlas); followed a few years later my a new Acura SUV model (ZDX?) based on the Passport; and sized in between the new larger RDX and a new larger MDX.

What Id really like to see in an MDX is a sport hybrid with the bigger 3.5 liter engine. I don’t want to drop down to the 3.0 liter engine. I drove a 2010 MDX (with the 3.7 liter engine) and a 2016 RLX with 3.5 liter plus the 3 hybrid motors. I’d like the extra horsepower and torque more than I’d miss the fuel economy.

380 HP and 24 MPG in the current gen MDX with Apple CarPlay? I’ll take it.
I'm waiting for a Passport-size Acura. I need width more than length.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Reading through the boards on TOV, there seems to be some insider knowledge of what's going on. To be taken with a grain of salt until Acura makes an official announcement. An all new TLX is expected first this year with an all new MDX later this year. Jeff mentioned he visited the test facility in Ohio a few months ago and saw a few test mules. A few TLX models with current model body panels that appear to be testing the new V6T. I believe there are some spyshots floating around of these. He also saw some mules with Honda Pilot body panels and heavy camo bags with two different exhaust trims, beefier wheels and brakes. Could be the mules for the new MDX powertrain.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by MrJames
Reading through the boards on TOV, there seems to be some insider knowledge of what's going on. To be taken with a grain of salt until Acura makes an official announcement. An all new TLX is expected first this year with an all new MDX later this year. Jeff mentioned he visited the test facility in Ohio a few months ago and saw a few test mules. A few TLX models with current model body panels that appear to be testing the new V6T. I believe there are some spyshots floating around of these. He also saw some mules with Honda Pilot body panels and heavy camo bags with two different exhaust trims, beefier wheels and brakes. Could be the mules for the new MDX powertrain.
Thanks for sharing the info.

Based on my little knowledge of Acura and car industry, the TLX will be revealed in Q1 of 2019 with new engine and similar interior as RDX.
The car will be out in Q2 or early Q3.

Next will be the MDX: this will be towards the end of the year as 2021 model and the actual car will be available in Q2 2020.

Of course this is not confirmed by Acura. It’s my assumption

To conclude, 2019 will be a big year for Acura. Also the RDX will keep rocking and ILX sales will increase slightly. RLX won’t have any major impact and TLX sales will remain low until the new TLX is out.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 01-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Racer

It looks like the MDX has recently been unveiled during the NY auto show for the 2014 and the 2007 redesigns. So my prediction is we will see the TLX at the Detroit auto show followed by the new MDX later in the year at the NY auto show. This aligns with the early 2019 release date for the TLX and late 2019 release date for the MDX 2020 redesign. Time will tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...onal_Auto_Show
Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
It looks like the MDX has recently been unveiled during the NY auto show for the 2014 and the 2007 redesigns. So my prediction is we will see the TLX at the Detroit auto show followed by the new MDX later in the year at the NY auto show. This aligns with the early 2019 release date for the TLX and late 2019 release date for the MDX 2020 redesign. Time will tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...onal_Auto_Show
This article claims the TLX prototype will be shown at the NY show. NAIAS is coming up next week, so won't be long to see who is right.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/20...cedes-porsche/
Old 01-09-2019, 01:41 AM
Racer

The 2015 TLX was revealed at the Detroit Auto show so I'm thinking Acura will stay consistent. We'll see in a few days.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...rototype-live/
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Instructor

The 2015 TLX was revealed at the Detroit Auto show so I'm thinking Acura will stay consistent. We'll see in a few days.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...rototype-live/
Acura showed the RDX prototype there last year as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
I'm ready to look at a new MDX
I have a 2012 MDX Advance but I have a feeling my wife wants to upgrade but I don't really like the new updates either. I don't like dark wheels like on the Aspec but I like the exterior changes of the Aspec.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
You can't just cut a hole in the roof, add some glass, call it a pano roof, and call it good. Even though the Pilot is similar (SIMILAR) to the MDX, it's not the same. A lot of structural engineering goes into something like that to make sure it is structurally sound, in rollover accidents, etc. A lot of statics and dynamics go into that decision. Something like a pano roof has to be designed from the ground up because the chassis, suspension, etc. needs to be changed for that.

<----Mechanical engineer
Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
That's just marketing the vehicle. The RDX is based on the CRV. As much as they try to market it as an exclusive design they admit they started with the CRV and tweaked it to stiffen it up for the SHAWD. So technically it isn't exactly the same but if someone takes an existing design and tweaks it, I wouldn't necessarily think bragging about it being an exclusive design is noteworthy. The CRV with the similar RDX platform has had a pano roof for a few years. It was already stiff enough to handle a pano roof. The guy is just marketing to Americans.

The Pilot has a pano roof. The Pilot is based on the same platform as the MDX. If they wanted to use the process for using a pano roof in a Pilot on an MDX and get the same safety ratings at the Pilot they could. They chose not to offer that. They'll probably get another marketing video like this one out after the redesign about how advanced the engineering had to be to put a pano roof in a 3 row SUV as if they didn't already offer it for years through the Honda Pilot.
Most of this is false.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Most of this is false.
Great point!

Quick Reply: 2020 Acura MDX Redesign Odds