2019 MDX A-Spec - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2019 MDX A-Spec

Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

2019 MDX A-Spec

Has anyone purchased one yet? Planning to take a closer look at them, possibly purchase this weekend and wanted some feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

I literally saw one this morning in Montreal. Looks awesome
The exhausts are very sporty and the front grill looks mean!

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Iíve test driven one. I was interested in the steering wheel, which was supposed to be chunkier and sportier. I was disappointed. It wasnít much thicker than the stock wheel, and the dimpled leather looked/felt cheap.

I like the exterior embellishments, but the overall package falls short, for me. Iíd skip the A-Spec and buy the Advance, personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to p07r0457 For This Useful Post:
Fabvsix (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 AM
mrgold35

I liked it better when A-Spec was a check box on the accessory section and it included the option for suspension upgrade. I would really love to see an MDX Adv or sh-sh-awd MDX with the A-Spec treatment.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

I was hoping for a thicker wheel like the BMW M's. My sales guy at Acura has two available for me to test drive this weekend. Already have a 18 TLX ASpec and looking to add another ASpec family hauler.
Thanks for the input ALL.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Once the Apsec parts come available I'll be adding them onto my 18 Hybrid.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by bmoua15 View Post
Once the Apsec parts come available I'll be adding them onto my 18 Hybrid.
The sport hybrid is really the A-Spec model at heart and it is just missing the blacked out accent parts.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Back from the dealer and after looking and driving the ASpec, I was a little disappointed. Like what someone previously said, the leather felt cheap and not as plush as the hybrid.
With that being said, I made a cash offer on the Hybrid with the advance package. Was planning on blacking out the chrome trim anyways. What really sold me were the wood trim and 2nd row captain chairs.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by peterfromsd View Post
Back from the dealer and after looking and driving the ASpec, I was a little disappointed. Like what someone previously said, the leather felt cheap and not as plush as the hybrid.
With that being said, I made a cash offer on the Hybrid with the advance package. Was planning on blacking out the chrome trim anyways. What really sold me were the wood trim and 2nd row captain chairs.
Advance trims come with the upgraded leather which is a great upgrade. I'd wish I could of opted for the Advance but I needed the 3 row seating for for my new born.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Advance trims come with the upgraded leather which is a great upgrade. I'd wish I could of opted for the Advance but I needed the 3 row seating for for my new born.
The Advance has the third row option, at least that was available on this one.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

The Advance has the third row option, at least that was available on this one.
My mistake, I meant I needed the 2nd row seats to seat 3 for the extra space.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

My mistake, I meant I needed the 2nd row seats to seat 3 for the extra space.
Advance with Entertainment comes with the second row bench seat. We really don't care for the ENT but unfortunately there is no other way to get bench second row in ADV trim.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Wow...surprise some are disappointed on the A Spec. I was planning to trade in my 17 for the A Spec. So what are the + and - on the A Spec
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KB1Spec View Post
Wow...surprise some are disappointed on the A Spec. I was planning to trade in my 17 for the A Spec. So what are the + and - on the A Spec
The only plus IMO was the front black bumper trim and more sportier seat color options.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

The only plus IMO was the front black bumper trim and more sportier seat color options.
I have not seen the A Spec MDX at my dealership as they told me it will be here late Sept and early Oct. BUT I did see the RDX A Spec and yes I was impress of the black out trim on the exterior and also the 2 tone red and black interior and also the carbon fiber faux interior trim.
But some said the leather on the A Spec MDX are not up to par. Is the leather same as the regular MDX material? Maybe they tone down the leather because of the alcantra material?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KB1Spec View Post
I have not seen the A Spec MDX at my dealership as they told me it will be here late Sept and early Oct. BUT I did see the RDX A Spec and yes I was impress of the black out trim on the exterior and also the 2 tone red and black interior and also the carbon fiber faux interior trim.
But some said the leather on the A Spec MDX are not up to par. Is the leather same as the regular MDX material? Maybe they tone down the leather because of the alcantra material?
Remember, the black out trim only refers to the front and not the rear emblems as those are still chrome (which should be black IMO).
I'm sure the leather seats on the ASpec gets softer with more use but the feel if the hybrid w/ advance felt more plush. The suspension may play into it as well since it feels more "luxury" than "sporty" as the aspec on the road.

Not to mention the aspec transmission is just overkill. The sport hybrid feels more responsive when moving past slower traffic.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Remember, the black out trim only refers to the front and not the rear emblems as those are still chrome (which should be black IMO).
I'm sure the leather seats on the ASpec gets softer with more use but the feel if the hybrid w/ advance felt more plush. The suspension may play into it as well since it feels more "luxury" than "sporty" as the aspec on the road.
Black emblems for the rear are available from the Acura accessory catalog.

The leather is junk, imo. The seats are "fine" as they are primarily alcantara, but the steering wheel is particularly "cheap" feeling, and that is a deal-breaker for me, as it's something you see/touch constantly. The advance leather is nicer. Also, I wanted a "chunkier" wheel --- which Acura promised -- but the A-Spec wheel doesn't feel girth-y.

The nail in the coffin, for me, is that the A-Spec is lacking some features that are must-have, for me, and are found in the Advance.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Black emblems for the rear are available from the Acura accessory catalog.

The leather is junk, imo. The seats are "fine" as they are primarily alcantara, but the steering wheel is particularly "cheap" feeling, and that is a deal-breaker for me, as it's something you see/touch constantly. The advance leather is nicer. Also, I wanted a "chunkier" wheel --- which Acura promised -- but the A-Spec wheel doesn't feel girth-y.

The nail in the coffin, for me, is that the A-Spec is lacking some features that are must-have, for me, and are found in the Advance.
Going to be debadging the rear emblems for the cleaner look. I just can't justify buying new ones either when you can scuff them up and paint them yourself.

Agree with you on the steering wheel. All my previous european vehicles had thicker steering wheels which I loved in regular leather and alcantara. An option that has been playing in my head is to talk with the owner of Coby Wheel, who specializes in refinishing BMW steering wheels, and have him redo my TLX Aspec steering wheel, adding padding and new leather with red stitching to match the car. I've had a couple M3 steering wheels done by him and they turned out awesome and his around time was always on point.

Last edited by peterfromsd; 09-17-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I really like the "sports" interior of my 2018 MDX Advance with captain chairs....

Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabvsix View Post
I really like the "sports" interior of my 2018 MDX Advance with captain chairs....
I hope in the future Acura makes a Advance version with the second row bench seats. I really wanted the 360 camera, back up sensors and upgraded leather.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

I hope in the future Acura makes a Advance version with the second row bench seats. I really wanted the 360 camera, back up sensors and upgraded leather.
They already do. If you get Advance + Entertainment you get the upgraded leather with a bench 2nd row.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
They already do. If you get Advance + Entertainment you get the upgraded leather with a bench 2nd row.
Damn! I didn't know. For sure I would have had to wait a few months to find one in the exterior/interior of like.
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Damn! I didn't know. For sure I would have had to wait a few months to find one in the exterior/interior of like.
The reason why we keep buying ADV/ENT. We want all the features of ADV with the second row bench seats. We can care less about ENT as it is outdated (no bluray) and the kids don't really use it anymore, but it was the only way to get the bench seats with ADV trim. $2k down the drain if you ask me.