2015 MDX Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MDX Windshield Crack

I had a stone hit the windshield below wiper on a freeway a couple of months ago. From driver seat we could not see a ding. Then a month or so later when I pulled it the wipers at a car wash, I was a nickle size area where the stone had chipped glass. I wish I had gotten it looked at by a windshield shop. It was small and I thought it would be ok.

While out of town, wife calls me and tells me that the windshield now has a crack halfway up the middle. Took it to a winshield shop today. He said its too big and will require a replacement.

Geico insurance will not cover full repair if I take it to Acura dealership. I've gotten quotes for $1660 and $1300 from two Acura dealerships. Geico says Safelite can do it for ca $500. I have a $1000 deductible and Geico says this will be out of pocket for me as Geico has their own rates for reimbursement and Geico does not pay dealer markups.

Any recommendations on best course of action? I have a 2015 Acura MDX (Technology Package)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is some info to advise Geico. If a $500 windshield causes an issue with these systems, is Geico willing to pay 100% for the correct one? Click link below.

Honda Cautions that New Driver Assist/Safety Systems Require OE Parts Replacement
Old 03-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Racer

This sorta applies in your case.

Auto insurers accused of skimping on repairs - CNN.com
Old 03-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts

Inaddition, any equipment behind the windshield or grill should be recalibrated by the Dealership or a certified repair shop.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drdomore

Geico insurance will not cover full repair if I take it to Acura dealership. I've gotten quotes for $1660 and $1300 from two Acura dealerships. Geico says Safelite can do it for ca $500. I have a $1000 deductible and Geico says this will be out of pocket for me as Geico has their own rates for reimbursement and Geico does not pay dealer markups.

Any recommendations on best course of action? I have a 2015 Acura MDX (Technology Package)
First, the particulars: I have a 2015 MDX Adv, I have Geico, and I had a cracked windshield back in May of 2015 which was replaced by Safelite. At that time, I don't believe there was an aftermarket windshield available. I even had to wait several weeks because, I was told, Honda/Acura dealers didn't even have them in stock yet. The dealer did tell me that when they did get them in stock, the price would be $1300. My Geico deductible was $500, which I paid when Safelite finally got it installed. I did confirm that it was OEM glass. Fast forward a year, there may be aftermarket glass available so that's what Geico wants to use on your car. Personally, I wouldn't accept it. Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Long while back my brand new (less than 1k miles) 2007 Acura RDX got a windshield chip...because they hadn't created aftermarket windshields they had to replace with OEM glass. Maybe you can talk to them about getting OEM glass installed by Safelited
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced. The insurance company (State Farm) only covers the cost of replacement glass and if you want OEM with the Acura Logo glass I I would have had to pay the difference between the negotiated price the insurance company has with the glass shops and the OEM glass would have been $600.00 in addition to the $250.00 dollar deductible I had to pay regardless. I chose to go with the replacement glass. I have a 2014 Tech with all the electronic gizmos. The interesting thing was they said it would be Pilkington glass. When it came it was actually from AGC. After installation in the lower right hand corner there the glass information such as brand, description and bar code. Interesting there was a waviness in the glass above this information about a 1/4" in diameter above the AGC name. I thought it was a defect and so did the glass shop. So they ordered a replacement. A week later when I went back in to have it replaced they had ordered three windshields and they all had the same defect although they varied in size slightly. Fast forward to today and while my MDX is in the shop I have a loner TLX and interesting enough TLX's windshield is also made by AGC and has the same information imprinted with the barcode etc. What was interesting was where I have the distortion in the glass on my MDX windshield the TLX has the Acura logo, So the "aftermarket" windshield was an OEM unit with the logo ground/polished away! Also, the gas shop did not have to recalibrate any of the sensors and lane keeping, rain sensing etc are working just fine. The windshield shop said that was the only replacement windshield available. Interesting point according to the glass shop no one else make the windshield replacement.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls

Inaddition, any equipment behind the windshield or grill should be recalibrated by the Dealership or a certified repair shop.
Does this mean that the 2017 MDX Base model windshields will not need OEM parts ??
Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Racer

Think you need to see an updated letter from Honda. Unless the aftermarket glass has met their standards. The one above is dated 2014.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,578 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Originally Posted by like2ace
Does this mean that the 2017 MDX Base model windshields will not need OEM parts ??
well the letter was dated in 2014... so...

Honda hadn't finished perfecting the time machine yet else, they would have done the Takata airbag recalls earlier
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
well the letter was dated in 2014... so...

Honda hadn't finished perfecting the time machine yet else, they would have done the Takata airbag recalls earlier
You and tman are missing the point ! I know its an old letter but the 2014 and 2017 body structure/style is the same with a few minor modifications.
Question still remains:

Will the 2017 Base require an Acura windshield or a generic replacement do?? There are only the LKAS and ACC options on the Base so any generic windshield with noise deadening) should do?? The ACC radar is on the front grill if I am not mistaken so the windshield is out of the equation?
Can anyone post an updated letter from 2017 (if any) for all the time travel folks here !!

Last edited by like2ace; 02-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Racer

I totally understood your question. You or someone needs to get an updated notice. That is what I meant..........That is why you need to get an updated letter or notice. I don't know where to get it. Ask your dealer or something.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Drifting

The November 17, 2014 letter is current and still valid because there is no newer letter available at this time.

If your vehicle doesn't have a camera behind the front windshield then it's not critical to have an OEM part other than having the acoustic glass feature.

However, if you have a CMBS equipped vehicle and any component of the CMBS is removed or replaced after a collision then it is Honda's/Acura's position that the CMBS system requires a software-based aiming and/or calibration to ensure proper operation.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
. . . . . . However, if you have a CMBS equipped vehicle and any component of the CMBS is removed or replaced after a collision then it is Honda's/Acura's position that the CMBS system requires a software-based aiming and/or calibration to ensure proper operation.
Makes sense, but what does this have to do with the glass itself?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by moose66
Makes sense, but what does this have to do with the glass itself?
That's a great question. Not all glass replacement will be rock chips. For example, the glass may be crack due to a side impact at the A Piller. At this point the CMBS will require software-based aiming and/or calibration to ensure proper operation. Likewise, if the air bags deploy.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You need oem glass

The November 17, 2014 letter is current and still valid because there is no newer letter available at this time.

If your vehicle doesn't have a camera behind the front windshield then it's not critical to have an OEM part other than having the acoustic glass feature.

However, if you have a CMBS equipped vehicle and any component of the CMBS is removed or replaced after a collision then it is Honda's/Acura's position that the CMBS system requires a software-based aiming and/or calibration to ensure proper operation.

So I just had my glass replaced on my 2016 MDX with the tech and all the gizmos on the windshield. Geico covered it after I paid my $250 deductible. Safelite and Geico tried to skimp me with an aftermarket glass and I refused to take it. I called Geico and Safelite and told them that I wouldn't take anything less than an Acura OEM windshield. They approved it and safelite ordered it and took a few days, then I showed up and they had an aftermarket glass that look almost the same as oem besides the logo. As soon as I didn't see the ACURA logo on it, I rejected it. Safelite ordered the right oem glass and in 2 days it was here. Safelite installed it but they put the wrong molding on top of the windshield as they ordered an aftermarket one which was smaller and left a gap on the top of the windshield that was more of an aesthetic look and wouldn't hurt the functionality of the glass. However, I rejected it and demanded the OEM molding. They ordered and had me go back in 2 days. Then they tried to recalibrate the camera and rain sensor, took them 2 hours just to find out that they couldn't do it and told me to take it to the acura dealership. I had a bunch of lights and error messages on my dash. I wasted 2 hours of them trying the impossible for them. I took it the next day to Acura and the first question from the service advisor was "did you get an OEM glass?" I was like yes, why? He said "if it is not OEM we won't calibrate it as aftermarket ones won't work with the camera and rain sensors. We just had a TLX here with an aftermarket windshield and our machine wasn't able to calibrate it" I was dang I'm so glad I demanded an OEM windshield. So after 3.5 hours (they gave me a loaner) and $350 the camera and rain sensor were calibrated. Geico paid for the calibration as well, I just submitted the invoice and they reimbursed me in full.