2017 Parking sensors - anybody DIY?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:34 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Parking sensors - anybody DIY?

Anybody with experience installing the parkings sensors, F & F, on their own? I found this https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II03445-24.pdf. It doesn't look overly complicated but just a lot of steps.

Parts look to be just under $500 plus $70 if I buy the 16mm punch. I received total quote for installation w/parts by Acura dealer of $1200.

​​​​​​I think the correct parts are:
1) Parking Sensor Attachment Kit - Acura (08V67-TZ5-200C) - unseen stuff. $245 online.
2) F & R parking sensors (rears are colored matched to bumper) - 08V67-TZ5-250H (fathom blue) - $245
3) 16mm hole punch - https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...h-tz5a100.html
Old 01-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
$1200 quote is not bad. I would let the dealer do it it's a lot of work. We had our '17 Sports Hybrid front and rear parking sensors installed by the dealer for $1K. Plus if they do they include warranty. You have to take the front and rear bumpers off and remove part of the dash to install the switch.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:58 PM
7th Gear

Very valid points. Would you happen to recall the # of labor hrs your dealer charged for the installation and the parts cost?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't remember, I can dig up the invoice. I remember dropping the car off for the whole day. 4-6 hours seems reasonable to me.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM
7th Gear

That would be great.

We're considering the F&R parking sensors as an investment in stress reduction and bumper dings since we're coming from a relatively small 2005 passat to the larger 2017 MDX. After driving the MDX with the sensors for some time now, would you spend the $1k over again if you had the chance?

Curious how you rely upon the F and/or R sensors for parking assistance relative to the back-up camera?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Can't find the invoice. Our parking sensors were part of a purchase agreement. We negotiated in the deal for $1K installed at purchase time.
Yes, definitely would get parking sensors again. My wife drive the MDX and we have a very tight garage so it's a definite needed accessory.
Backup camera helps, but the beeping and visual of the parking sensors allow us to get very close to stuff in the garage without hitting them.
Plus the '17 MDX parking sensors is plug 'n play. You'll get beeping sound and visual indicator on the dash just like in the Advance models.
I see that parking sensors are standard now on 19MY Tech pkg. It should have been included on 17MY Tech as well..Acura cheap out on us!

here's my original thread about it

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...ensors-962687/
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
Labor alone is going to cost you around a grand. Do you really like paying $125, an hour for someone else? Thats more than I can aford. The instructions are very detailed, showing every,nut, bolt, screw and snap fastener. Anyone with decent mechanical skills should be able to accomplush it in a day or less. The biggest downside I see is needing someone to help R&R the bumper inserts so you dont sctarch them attempting it alone. Everything appears to be plug and play. When I did my hitch the wiring was all plug in.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Donn0128
Labor alone is going to cost you around a grand. Do you really like paying $125, an hour for someone else?

OP already said his dealer quoted $1200 installed with parts & labor. That's not a bad deal considering parts along will cost him $570, so that leaves $630 for labor at $125 per hour comes to 5 hrs. Seem fair to me.
Plus dealer will include 12 mos warranty on all factory parts. That is worth it to me rather than doing it myself and screwing something up or scratching up the bumper.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I got front and rear sensors on my TL that I installed for $30 total. Two separate systems with 8 total sensors cost $30 shipped from Amazon. I had the sensors paint-matched to the car.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Labor alone is going to cost you around a grand. Do you really like paying $125, an hour for someone else? Thats more than I can aford. The instructions are very detailed, showing every,nut, bolt, screw and snap fastener. Anyone with decent mechanical skills should be able to accomplush it in a day or less. The biggest downside I see is needing someone to help R&R the bumper inserts so you dont sctarch them attempting it alone. Everything appears to be plug and play. When I did my hitch the wiring was all plug in.
What he said! If you have the confidence, you can probably do it. If you are methodical, take you time, and follow the instructions to the letter, you can do it. The only accessory I didn't install myself was the heated steering wheel. But that was because I had a connection with someone who had experience doing them, and I didn't want to do it in my cold, cramped garage.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Having anyone including the service acura folks REMOVE DASH OR PART ….. just makes me cringe...…… that's a no no for me.....make sure no RATTLES …...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Not sure what you're asking...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:24 PM
7th Gear

I'm asking if anybody has installed the F & R parking sensors on their own in a 2017 MDX. Roughly half the responses have said "spend the $1200 and have the dealer do the work. Taking off the dash is tricky and this way all the work is warrantied". The other half has said "the instructions are very specific so you should have no problem with the installation as long as you have basic mechanical aptitude". So far I don't believe anybody who has responded has personally done the installation themselves.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

If all you care about is the beeping, then try the route I went. I got front and rear sensors for $30 shipped. Each system was $15 shipped. I had the sensors colors matched to the car for an additional $60. Hardest part was to get the rear bumper off to drill.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I installed the front and rear parking sensors in my 2017 MDX. I purchased the punch tool (very important for clean holes). It was very straight forward and plug and play.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrandonClaps:
Narciso (12-28-2019), Xkill (03-13-2020)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nhofmann
I'm asking if anybody has installed the F & R parking sensors on their own in a 2017 MDX. Roughly half the responses have said "spend the $1200 and have the dealer do the work. Taking off the dash is tricky and this way all the work is warrantied". The other half has said "the instructions are very specific so you should have no problem with the installation as long as you have basic mechanical aptitude". So far I don't believe anybody who has responded has personally done the installation themselves.
what would you like to know? It is time consuming to do, but not difficult at all with the factory instructions. The dash portion where you install the module was the least time consuming.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NeoGeoH
What he said! If you have the confidence, you can probably do it. If you are methodical, take you time, and follow the instructions to the letter, you can do it. The only accessory I didn't install myself was the heated steering wheel. But that was because I had a connection with someone who had experience doing them, and I didn't want to do it in my cold, cramped garage.
i also installed the OEM heated steering wheel myself. Also was easy but had to remove and reinstall the wheel twice. First time my backup lines on backup camera were off. Second time I installed the wheel slightly off and looked like the wheel was turned slightly while driving. Both easy fixes.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Pro

yes, extra person to help remove and install is necessary so you don’t scratch the bumper. The instructions even tell you where to apply tape to prevent scratches.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps

i also installed the OEM heated steering wheel myself. Also was easy but had to remove and reinstall the wheel twice. First time my backup lines on backup camera were off. Second time I installed the wheel slightly off and looked like the wheel was turned slightly while driving. Both easy fixes.
Just curious how you were able to center your steering wheel.
I too replace my 2015 Lexus GS 350 steering wheel with a Carbon Fiber wheel, but the new wheel is off about 2 degrees to the right.
I tried to remove and re-center but the teeth just aren't same as my original wheel.
I know they're different cars, but maybe there is a trick to it you can share.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Just curious how you were able to center your steering wheel.
I too replace my 2015 Lexus GS 350 steering wheel with a Carbon Fiber wheel, but the new wheel is off about 2 degrees to the right.
I tried to remove and re-center but the teeth just aren't same as my original wheel.
I know they're different cars, but maybe there is a trick to it you can share.
mine, I was able to move it over one tooth
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

mine, I was able to move it over one tooth
Oh ok. Mine can't be center then. I was told I will need 4 wheel alignment to center it.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM
7th Gear

Brandon - Thank you for offering to answer my questions.
  1. So I can assume you had no issues with reinstalling either of the bumpers or the front dash. My main concerns are fit/gaps and vibration noises.
  2. Can you estimate the # of hours everything took?
  3. Did you need any special tools besides the punch?
  4. Anything special to get the MID system to identify the sensors?
  5. Would you consider yourself highly mechanical or mainly just very methodical?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nhofmann
Brandon - Thank you for offering to answer my questions.
  1. So I can assume you had no issues with reinstalling either of the bumpers or the front dash. My main concerns are fit/gaps and vibration noises.
  2. Can you estimate the # of hours everything took?
  3. Did you need any special tools besides the punch?
  4. Anything special to get the MID system to identify the sensors?
  5. Would you consider yourself highly mechanical or mainly just very methodical?
1. No issues reinstalling, but definitely another person to help. The gaps between the fender and bumper is like factory. Take your time and be cautious pulling them to not break anything. You will feel scared that you will, but a good tug will release it (after all bolts/screws are removed)
2. I estimate it took me 4-6 hours (over two days)
3. No special tools other than the punch
4. Nothing special nor any programming required for it to identify. Simply plug and play.
5. I’m not an automotive mechanic or an engineer. The instructions are very straight forward an easy to understand. I think if you can read instructions it should be a simple process.

I’m confident that anyone could undertake this install
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

I just installed the front and rear sensors myself. It took me 6 hours from start to finish. Since I was removing the bumpers, I also installed the aluminum bumper protector on the back.

The weird thing is after I reinstalled the front bumper, I noticed a small gap alignment issue that I didn’t notice before. Maybe I never paid any attention to it.

also, the factory instructions states to remove a lot more panels than what’s needed, I did not remove any of the passenger size panels which wasn’t even needed at all.

i only had to remove the center console panel to install the module, and the driver side panels to install the button switch.

I didn’t understand why the instructions so additional steps and wanted you to remove so many unnecessary panels.

i also didn’t disconnect the negative cable to the battery.

It all works fine except the bumper alignment issue, can you help me take photos of your bumper where it meets the fender? I want some close up views of the upper corner area to see if there’s a weird gap......

I’ll also take a few photos when I have time to show you what I’m referring to...

1. No issues reinstalling, but definitely another person to help. The gaps between the fender and bumper is like factory. Take your time and be cautious pulling them to not break anything. You will feel scared that you will, but a good tug will release it (after all bolts/screws are removed)
2. I estimate it took me 4-6 hours (over two days)
3. No special tools other than the punch
4. Nothing special nor any programming required for it to identify. Simply plug and play.
5. I’m not an automotive mechanic or an engineer. The instructions are very straight forward an easy to understand. I think if you can read instructions it should be a simple process.

I’m confident that anyone could undertake this install
Old 02-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Pro

Excuse the dirty car...
Old 02-27-2019, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear

Driver side

Driver side up close

Passenger side up close

Passenger side
Please look at the front bumper and see if these gaps are normal. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

I installed the front and rear parking sensors in my 2017 MDX. I purchased the punch tool (very important for clean holes). It was very straight forward and plug and play.

what would you like to know? It is time consuming to do, but not difficult at all with the factory instructions. The dash portion where you install the module was the least time consuming.
I just bought the 2017 MDX Navi (Canada), it came with factory installed rear sensors but on the front bumper only fake (not working) sensors. I want to add the front sensors, no need to punch the holes, maybe I just need to replace the fake sensors with the real sensors and wire them to the existing module using the harness. The existing module is already working with the rear sensors and I expect/hope that it would have a free port for the front harness connection but I haven’t seen the module yet).

What do you think?
Old 12-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Narciso
I just bought the 2017 MDX Navi (Canada), it came with factory installed rear sensors but on the front bumper only fake (not working) sensors. I want to add the front sensors, no need to punch the holes, maybe I just need to replace the fake sensors with the real sensors and wire them to the existing module using the harness. The existing module is already working with the rear sensors and I expect/hope that it would have a free port for the front harness connection but I haven’t seen the module yet).

What do you think?
the “fake” sensors are really just plastic plugs. Pull them out and the new ones plug in. No additional wiring harness needed, it’s already behind the front bumper on the drive side
Old 12-28-2019, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

the “fake” sensors are really just plastic plugs. Pull them out and the new ones plug in. No additional wiring harness needed, it’s already behind the front bumper on the drive side

WOW! Really??? I will receive the car on Tuesday, I will check that out as soon as I get my hands on it. If front Harness is in place and pre-wired (as you say) it would be a piece of cake... thanks for the advice, I was obtaining a quote from Acura next week but after your advice I will check for the pre-installed harness before doing anything. Great advice btw.

I will feedback as soon as I get my hands on the car, I look forward to getting into this. 😎
Old 03-13-2020, 09:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey BrandonClaps. Did you use the OEM 16 mm hole punch for the installation of the rear sensors? If so, would you be willing to sell or rent? If not, how did you cut the hole openings?
Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Richard Wong, I too see the gaps. Doesn't seem right since water (rain) easily forced right through the area. Looks like there should have been some filler placed there. When I upgrade the sensors, I plan on adding some foam in between to avoid excessive water penetration.

Outside Right Fender View

Inside Fender Well View