MDX vs Pilot vs MDX vs Pilot

Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile MDX vs Pilot vs MDX vs Pilot

I love my 2013 TL Tech. Bought it CPO and love driving it. Family is now growing and I need a SUV for the longer road trips and bigger luggage. I am looking to spend under 32K for a preowned 2014 or 2015 with under 30K miles. I am very surprised to find the MDX Tech and Pilot EXL selling at the same price point in the used market. Should I go with the Pilot and get 8 seats and fill up with regular gas and retain value for longer or go with the MDX, get a relatively cramped 3rd row with one less seat and use premium fuel but have the "luxury"

I am not particularly found of the new body styles of either but if there is a significant improvement in the ride quality or performance of the 2017 models, I will consider buying a brand new one. I would never in a million years ever dream of buying a brand new car before fatherhood.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience comparing the Pilot and MDX in the last couple of years.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraneewb
I love my 2013 TL Tech. Bought it CPO and love driving it. Family is now growing and I need a SUV for the longer road trips and bigger luggage. I am looking to spend under 32K for a preowned 2014 or 2015 with under 30K miles. I am very surprised to find the MDX Tech and Pilot EXL selling at the same price point in the used market. Should I go with the Pilot and get 8 seats and fill up with regular gas and retain value for longer or go with the MDX, get a relatively cramped 3rd row with one less seat and use premium fuel but have the "luxury"

I am not particularly found of the new body styles of either but if there is a significant improvement in the ride quality or performance of the 2017 models, I will consider buying a brand new one. I would never in a million years ever dream of buying a brand new car before fatherhood.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience comparing the Pilot and MDX in the last couple of years.

Thanks
When we got our 2017 X new, sorry but the Pilot was never a consideration as we are a smallish family. Also we didn’t want a minibus in terms of styling and driving dynamics (I was coming off a BMW). The Pilot interior and exterior are much inferior and you can get away with regular gas on the MDX. We bought new as the 2017 is vastly different and have the peace of 4 yr warranty. Saw no need for CP/AA either so got the 2017.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
My wife has a '12 TL SH-AWD tech and I had a '15 RDX AWD Tech when I went shopping for my next vehicle. I specifically cross-shopped the Pilot and MDX - both '17 models new. I was largely doing this because of the desire for the better AWD system than the RDX had. Both MDX and Pilot have similar systems for snow traction, although the MDX's is more advanced, and both do very good in snow. My experience after doing very long test drives in both is that the Pilot is more of an SUV_trying_to_be_a_minivan and the MDX is a more traditional SUV approach. There is no traditional center console nor center arm rest in the Pilot (although their used to be in earlier designs). The Pilot is also larger in side due to a slightly more squared design. Both are quiet and well built, but the MDX definitely has a more upscale feel and is quieter.

For me I went with the MDX because I just liked it better. If I had kids and was replacing a minivan, the Pilot would be more appropriate. But from a driver's perspective, the MDX was a better choice for me.

andy
Old 12-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Drive both and see which you like better. We also cross shopped Pilot. The MDX seemed to drive smaller than the Pilot. Third row is seldom used so it didn't carry much weight in the decision. Depending on Pilot trim level you are shopping some of them have the 9-speed transmission.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Just picked up a 2014 SH-AWD Advanced Tech, has the vented/heated front and rear seats, the widescreen rear entertainment, and all the lane keeping/parking sensor/radar cruise stuff on it, with 54K miles for $29,000 in very good condition. Shopping against loaded Pilots, the materials on the Acura feel better, it's a quieter, more comfortable ride, it accelerates much better even with the 6 speed, and the tech toys are on above anything available on the Pilot.

We had a 14 RDX previously, and I had an 09 SH-AWD TL. It drives very much like both of them, just feels like it sits a bit higher. The front seats are EXTREMELY comfortable; best seats I've felt in an Acura since they quit making the CL.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
We shopped the Pilot, naturally, but I could not get over the mommy-mobile feeling of it. Subjectively, I HATED 3rd gen MDX styling when it came out and seriously considered a used 2012-13 MDX since we both loved our 2007. But after about a month with the 2017 I've grown to really appreciate the styling and while it's not quite as fun to drive as our 2007, when I see a second gen MDX I think it looks very dated, almost odd looking. I think the Pilot is a good value and if you don't object to the styling/feeling of driving it, its a great choice.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraneewb

Thanks
We drove the Pilot and MDX too before making a decision. Both drive well, are quiet, etc. The more advanced AWD, nicer interior, and styling sold it for us. Also, the fact all the safety features are standard for 2017 is really a selling feature! My wife liked the camera on the pilot on the passenger side that shows the car behind or on the side of you. Can't go wrong with either one, the Pilot is of course cheaper. We had an Odyssey for 11 years and also two Accords, so are familiar with Honda. Our first Acura, and we are very happy with the purchase.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
lol @ mommy mobile. Since the new release of the Pilot I have seen a ton on the road. I have seen a male driving once. lol They're all over the ballparks too as mommy mobile favorites. It does look like a taller sleeker min-van . OP if you have any personality at all get the MDX.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ghosttl09
lol @ mommy mobile. Since the new release of the pilot i have seen a ton on the road. I have seen a male driving once. Lol they're all over the ballparks too as mommy mobile favorites. It does look like a taller sleeker min-van . Op if you have any personality at all get the mdx.
rotflmao!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same situation. I just bought a CPO 2015 AWD Base MDX. I went with the MDX over the Pilot for 2 reasons: Acura's SH-AWD system and Acura's warranty.

In 2015, not sure about the 2016+ models, I believe Acura's SH-AWD is better than Honda's VTM-4.

Acura's warranty is 4 year / 50,000 miles (6 year / 70,000 mile powertrain). Honda's is 3 year / 36,000 miles (5 year / 60,000 miles powertrain).

My 2015 CPO MDX is under warranty until March 2019 or 50,000 miles. I then get the CPO 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty. I'll probably hit the time cut off before the mileage cut off, so I'll be under general warranty until March 2020 (with the powertrain expiring in March 2021).
Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acesn8s
I was in the same situation. I just bought a CPO 2015 AWD Base MDX. I went with the MDX over the Pilot for 2 reasons: Acura's SH-AWD system and Acura's warranty.

In 2015, not sure about the 2016+ models, I believe Acura's SH-AWD is better than Honda's VTM-4.

Acura's warranty is 4 year / 50,000 miles (6 year / 70,000 mile powertrain). Honda's is 3 year / 36,000 miles (5 year / 60,000 miles powertrain).

My 2015 CPO MDX is under warranty until March 2019 or 50,000 miles. I then get the CPO 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty. I'll probably hit the time cut off before the mileage cut off, so I'll be under general warranty until March 2020 (with the powertrain expiring in March 2021).
Agree on the AWD and the longer Acura warranty. We also, for the first time ever, bought an extended warranty covering all major electrical and mechanical systems. There is a LOT of tech on these cars, and I know firsthand that stuff gets expensive quick.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I was surprised at how expensive the Pilot can get. At the higher trim levels you're definitely better off in a MDX!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Well, you're asking on a Acura forum where most people will say go MDX.

The pilots "third row" isn't really a third row either, it's like my Explorer, I can have two of my kids under 4 in the 3rd row, but it would be a nightmare for adults. This is why I'm ditching my Explorer and getting an Odyssey (because sliding doors is wonderful when idiots park too close to get your kids into the car)

Honestly, go drive both back to back and see which one works for you. See if your dealership will allow you an extended test drive. Place car seats or whatever you need in it so you can see which one will benefit you the most.

The body style of the new Pilot has grown on me, the MDX is the only thing Acura has put out decent in years.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by p07r0457
I was surprised at how expensive the Pilot can get. At the higher trim levels you're definitely better off in a MDX!
The Pilot with Touring package is upper $40's. For a couple grand more, you can get the better AWD system, 10 more HP (hey its something) a longer standard and powertrain warranty, nicer interior,etc. In order to get the blind spot monitoring and rear cross trafffic alert, you have to go up to the Elite package, and now you are only $1400 less than an MDX with Technology package. Might as well get the MDX???
Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Well, you're asking on a Acura forum where most people will say go MDX.

The pilots "third row" isn't really a third row either, it's like my Explorer, I can have two of my kids under 4 in the 3rd row, but it would be a nightmare for adults. This is why I'm ditching my Explorer and getting an Odyssey (because sliding doors is wonderful when idiots park too close to get your kids into the car)

Honestly, go drive both back to back and see which one works for you. See if your dealership will allow you an extended test drive. Place car seats or whatever you need in it so you can see which one will benefit you the most.

The body style of the new Pilot has grown on me, the MDX is the only thing Acura has put out decent in years.
We had a Honda Odyssey for 11 years, it is AWESOME for young kids, you will love it!!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Thanks everyone. Great comments. Will go with the MDX. Am getting the 2015 with Tech and hope to close under 30K out the door with less than 40K miles. Happy holidays!