2016 MDX Radar Detector Hardwire DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 MDX Radar Detector Hardwire DIY

This is my DIY on how to hardwire a Valentine V1 to a mirror in a 2016 MDX with Tech and Watch packages. Not my best DIY but should help someone out down the road if they were wondering how to do this. Took me 45 minutes with snapping pics. Do at your own risk.

Tools Needed:
Plastic Trim Removal Set
Snips
Zip Ties
Double-Sided Stick tape
Electrical Tape
Hidden Mirror power cord - Valentine Products - "Be Safe with Safe-N-Sound1.com"

#1 Remove plastic cover under hood and Disconnect Battery Negative

#2 Pry off inner plastic cover near mirror, there are two tabs on each side, gently push into the tab locations and pull up, once the cover is popped off one tab it will be easier to remove the rest. Move your mirror around to help maneuver the cover off once it’s off all of it’s tabs.

Name:  IMG_4284_zpsauhapubt.jpg
Views: 4026
Size:  211.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4283_zpsslctkdtn.jpg
Views: 4058
Size:  247.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4280_zpsdnwiovtx.jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  195.3 KB

#3 Pry off outer plastic cover, I started in a corner and pried working my way around the edge like I did for the small panel.

Name:  IMG_4281_zpspwfdjrzc.jpg
Views: 3990
Size:  182.2 KB

#4 I trimmed about a 1/2” off of each metal tab using snips n the Hidden Mirror power cord for the positive and negative so that when I plugged the metal tabs in, they were flush with the plug.

#5 I disconnected the harness going into the white plug on the left.

Name:  IMG_4275_zpsngauy8hv.jpg
Views: 3995
Size:  299.1 KB

#6 If I recall I used the red wire on the harness for power and presumably black for negative, then plug in the metal tabs into the back side of the red and black wires on the harness. It’s not complicated to figure out if I'm mistaken.

Name:  IMG_4274_zpsgn19qvax.jpg
Views: 3947
Size:  324.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4273_zpsuvolvvou.jpg
Views: 3942
Size:  188.2 KB

#7 I wrapped the hidden power cord in double sided sticky tape so it wouldn’t rattle and then routed down and around the mirror then back up and across to the passenger side.

Name:  IMG_4278_zps6rhgxycz.jpg
Views: 3946
Size:  278.7 KB

#8 Plug in radar detector and reconnect battery negative and verify radar detector is getting power. Then wrap up the wire harness where you have plugged in the two metal tabs with electrical tape for added security of the wires not falling out.

Name:  IMG_4276_zpshchpabya.jpg
Views: 4141
Size:  201.7 KB

#9 Put outer plastic cover back on.

#10 Put inner plastic cover back on.

#11 Drive.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 01-05-2016 at 03:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tommypenguin:
erg69 (01-07-2016), victorber (02-01-2018)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, I was wondering where to tap into power. I am also going to run the remote unit as well.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
I have a dash cam and hid the wire in the headliner, running it down the A-pillar into the cigarette lighter.

I was at the dealer getting an electrical issue diagnosed. My warning lights on the dash looked like Tokyo at night.

A mechanic at the dealership saw my dash cam and freaked out and said that since I hard wired the camera to the car, my warranty could be voided and they can't fix any electrical issues. I politely pointed out that I just hid the wire and it is in fact plugged into the cigarette lighter.

He then said "oh" and told me to disconnect the camera because it was likely causing electrical interference, triggering the warning lights. WTF?????
Old 01-14-2016, 06:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
I have a dash cam and hid the wire in the headliner, running it down the A-pillar into the cigarette lighter.

I was at the dealer getting an electrical issue diagnosed. My warning lights on the dash looked like Tokyo at night.

A mechanic at the dealership saw my dash cam and freaked out and said that since I hard wired the camera to the car, my warranty could be voided and they can't fix any electrical issues. I politely pointed out that I just hid the wire and it is in fact plugged into the cigarette lighter.

He then said "oh" and told me to disconnect the camera because it was likely causing electrical interference, triggering the warning lights. WTF?????
That's a dealer for you - trying to find any reason to blame the problem on and trying to screw you out of warranty.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Sounds like a lazy tech at the dealer didn't feel like troubleshooting the issue, no grounds for their attempted BS when you said it was plugged into the cigarette lighter.

If for some reason I was having an electrical issue not related to the tech package I would just disconnect the radar detector and tuck the wire into the head liner. A tech isn't going to start removing panels unrelated to the issue looking for additional wiring.

If there was an issue with the tech package I would first uninstall the radar detector hardwire and see if the issue goes away, if it didn't then I would take the car into the dealer with it removed. For the record there have been no issues with the hard wire install, my wife couldn't be happier with the setup.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:59 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Which Acura dealership is this ?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think that dealerships haven't accepted the fact that some consumers (especially car enthusiasts) are not as uninformed as older generations.

I think most of their customers would accept their lazy responses.

This is like when I brought my car in regarding the slow Navigation/infotainment unit. They blamed "long song titles on my iPod" because it was plugged in. And also blamed me using an external gps device as a cause.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Sounds like a lazy tech at the dealer didn't feel like troubleshooting the issue, no grounds for their attempted BS when you said it was plugged into the cigarette lighter.

If for some reason I was having an electrical issue not related to the tech package I would just disconnect the radar detector and tuck the wire into the head liner. A tech isn't going to start removing panels unrelated to the issue looking for additional wiring.

If there was an issue with the tech package I would first uninstall the radar detector hardwire and see if the issue goes away, if it didn't then I would take the car into the dealer with it removed. For the record there have been no issues with the hard wire install, my wife couldn't be happier with the setup.
Exactly!!! When I go in for warranty repairs, I remove the dashcam. They don't say a damn thing now. I leave the cig adapter plugged in though.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks tommypeguin for the pics. It really helped me get my radar wired in my 17!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tommypenguin: Thanks for the writeup! One thing I didn't see you mention, is your V1 mounted with the suction cup, or is it on a bracket that's permanently fastened to the rearview mirror?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered this mount off of Amazon for my 2014 MDX and Passport 9500ix.
Amazon Amazon

Not bad for $15, but I think it's likely that the short neck on my mirror wont' fit it. In that case, I plan on sticking it to the back of the mirror with double-sided mounting tape. You'll never see the difference.

Ideally though, a less obtrusive position would be ABOVE the mirror. However, that means the detector would be looking through that patter of dots above the mirror that provide a modicum of shade between the visors. I'm sure they'd reduce laser sensitivity, but I'm not sure how much they'd attenuate radar. Anybody know?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Carve
I ordered this mount off of Amazon for my 2014 MDX and Passport 9500ix.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not bad for $15, but I think it's likely that the short neck on my mirror wont' fit it. In that case, I plan on sticking it to the back of the mirror with double-sided mounting tape. You'll never see the difference.

Ideally though, a less obtrusive position would be ABOVE the mirror. However, that means the detector would be looking through that patter of dots above the mirror that provide a modicum of shade between the visors. I'm sure they'd reduce laser sensitivity, but I'm not sure how much they'd attenuate radar. Anybody know?

Well considering radar is radio waves, i don't think it's going to affect much

Laser sensitivity is a big issue though as it's light-based and line of sight. I wouldn't want to do anything to hinder its efficacy that way hence why I don't mount mine in that tint bar or dot matrix.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

Radar transparency depends if the dots are metallic. Laser sensitivity is less important to me because, by the time you detect laser, you're already screwed. I suppose you could take a razor and remove a small window of dots right in front of the laser detector though.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Radar transparency depends if the dots are metallic. Laser sensitivity is less important to me because, by the time you detect laser, you're already screwed. I suppose you could take a razor and remove a small window of dots right in front of the laser detector though.
You know other cars around you and your car itself is made of metal too right

You're true about laser but there could be the off chance that the laser is hitting the person next to you.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
You know other cars around you and your car itself is made of metal too right

You're true about laser but there could be the off chance that the laser is hitting the person next to you.
I'm aware the car is made of metal, which is why I don't mount the radar detector in the footwell.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm aware the car is made of metal, which is why I don't mount the radar detector in the footwell.
THen why does this matter?
Radar transparency depends if the dots are metallic.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
THen why does this matter?
It means if those dots are made of heavily metallic paint or aplique', then they'll reduce radar transparency....not as much as putting it in your footwell, but more than clear glass.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Sorry for the delay. I have the radar detector mounted as high as possible underneath the roof liner next to the mirror. I tried a mirror mount and felt it obstructed my line of sight too much. The wires on the harness I used were red and black.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Sorry for the delay. I have the radar detector mounted as high as possible underneath the roof liner next to the mirror. I tried a mirror mount and felt it obstructed my line of sight too much. The wires on the harness I used were red and black.
Sorry if I wasn't being clear with my question. I'd like to know how you mount the V1 detector. Is it with suction cups? or?
Thanks!!