2016 back bumper broken, need advice - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community



2016 back bumper broken, need advice

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 21
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2016 back bumper broken, need advice

My friend had a car ram into his mdx. He got the the check from the insurance. We went to several garages in NJ, they're estimate is way over what he got. Last choice was to go to a buddy in NY, in his garage he estimates parts around $900 alone. Friend was about to give in until I stopped him. It's not the amount of the money costing the labor and work being done, it's the cost of the parts that's seems a bit doubtful. here's an album of the damage Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet The left side of the back is damaged cracked, bottom red reflector broken as well. What should we do? The buddy, doesn't mind If my friend orders the parts himself and pays for labor.
LostMyIsuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 29,715
Thanked 4,866 Times in 3,882 Posts
Why did you accept a check lower than an estimate..? Didnt you guys go get estimates before submitting to insurance!?
thoiboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74,325
Thanked 13,007 Times in 9,633 Posts


https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...-bumper-1-scat

bumper = $400
bumper garnish = $100
L Bezel garnish = $40

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...nse-light-scat



Reflector assembly - $100...

this is a rough estimate at $640...not including any other accessories, like bolts and clips.
then tack on labor....
justnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justnspace For This Useful Post:
LostMyIsuzu (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 21
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Why did you accept a check lower than an estimate..? Didnt you guys go get estimates before submitting to insurance!?
Exactly what I thought, I wasn't with him at that time. I just found about this after
LostMyIsuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 21
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post


https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...-bumper-1-scat

bumper = $400
bumper garnish = $100
L Bezel garnish = $40

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...nse-light-scat



Reflector assembly - $100...

this is a rough estimate at $640...not including any other accessories, like bolts and clips.
then tack on labor....
thank you really appreciate
LostMyIsuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74,325
Thanked 13,007 Times in 9,633 Posts
no problem. was wondering how much money this friend received?
def. can reach into the thousands for body work!
justnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 21
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
no problem. was wondering how much money this friend received?
def. can reach into the thousands for body work!
He received $2400, he made really stupid mistakes, like at one garage, told the estimator how much he got, I hate him sometimes, but he's a friend
LostMyIsuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74,325
Thanked 13,007 Times in 9,633 Posts
$2400 is plenty enough with some to spare.
you could grab all of those brand new parts for under $700 and then find a place to do the painting and labor for less than $500.
justnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justnspace For This Useful Post:
LostMyIsuzu (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 426
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
$2400 is good amount, i think your friend is trying to pocket more money
jzhu625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
E92Vancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 302
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyIsuzu View Post
My friend had a car ram into his mdx. He got the the check from the insurance. We went to several garages in NJ, they're estimate is way over what he got. Last choice was to go to a buddy in NY, in his garage he estimates parts around $900 alone. Friend was about to give in until I stopped him. It's not the amount of the money costing the labor and work being done, it's the cost of the parts that's seems a bit doubtful. here's an album of the damage Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet The left side of the back is damaged cracked, bottom red reflector broken as well. What should we do? The buddy, doesn't mind If my friend orders the parts himself and pays for labor.
That's a $4,000 to $5,000 job. They have to paint the bumper and blend in the paint on the quarter panels. Phone your friend and tell him suck it up butter cup. This is the price of his education. He accepted $2,400 because he thought it would only cost $1,400 to fix.

Lesson to be learned? Let the insurance company fix the car instead of trying to pocket the difference by taking a cheque.
E92Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E92Vancouver For This Useful Post:
justnspace (05-19-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
atl7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 345
Thanked 82 Times in 46 Posts
My TLX was recently hail damaged. State Farm had me get the damage appraised at their approved body shop, and then they cut me a check for $4,500. I'm taking it to a different auto body that I know does better work, and it's going to cost more than $4.5k. I talked to State Farm about it and they said once it's getting repaired there will be an addendum that covers the difference. Have your friend check with his insurance because this might be the case for him too.
atl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: