2016 Acura MDX Advanced Intermittent Backup Camera/Navigation failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2016 Acura MDX Advanced Intermittent Backup Camera/Navigation failure

I have a new 2016 MDX Advanced built in September of 2015 that now has anintermittent Backup Camera/Navigation failure. Everything worked fine for about a month or so after purchase but then inNovember about 20 percent of the time when I go into reverse the backup camerafails, blank screen, and I get a system error. I also have the Navigationsystem freeze the vehicle in place with the exception of when I turn the navigation shows it turning but no movement is tracked otherwise. Thishappens less often and appears to have no correlation to the backup camerafailure.

I took my MDX to the dealer and left it with them forseveral days to repair. While they reproduced the issue, in the end theydid nothing to fix it but stated that Acura has been notified by other dealers of severalMDX’s doing this and they, the dealer, would have to wait for some directionfrom Acura itself on how to fix the issue. What I found really odd is that the dealer said the errors I see do not get logged anywhere. They had to try it multiple times to get the error. That sounds really like a bad design for debugging the software issues.
I am willing to wait for a few days/weeks, but in the end if this is not resolved soon I am thinking of seriously dumping this new vehicle ASAP so I do not lose too much money and never going back to Acura again. Note this is my 4th Acura in a row. Needless to say I am just a little bit ticked spending 55K on a vehicle that the backup camera does not work all the time and Acura does not appear to want to try and fix.

So my question is, does anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Negative on my side.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay1024
I have a new 2016 MDX Advanced built in September of 2015 that now has anintermittent Backup Camera/Navigation failure. Everything worked fine for about a month or so after purchase but then inNovember about 20 percent of the time when I go into reverse the backup camerafails, blank screen, and I get a system error. I also have the Navigationsystem freeze the vehicle in place with the exception of when I turn the navigation shows it turning but no movement is tracked otherwise. Thishappens less often and appears to have no correlation to the backup camerafailure.

I took my MDX to the dealer and left it with them forseveral days to repair. While they reproduced the issue, in the end theydid nothing to fix it but stated that Acura has been notified by other dealers of severalMDX’s doing this and they, the dealer, would have to wait for some directionfrom Acura itself on how to fix the issue. What I found really odd is that the dealer said the errors I see do not get logged anywhere. They had to try it multiple times to get the error. That sounds really like a bad design for debugging the software issues.
I am willing to wait for a few days/weeks, but in the end if this is not resolved soon I am thinking of seriously dumping this new vehicle ASAP so I do not lose too much money and never going back to Acura again. Note this is my 4th Acura in a row. Needless to say I am just a little bit ticked spending 55K on a vehicle that the backup camera does not work all the time and Acura does not appear to want to try and fix.

Have never had that problem.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay1024

At least when the camera doesn't work, you won't be reminded of the terrible quality the image is when it does work.
I really cannot understand how a 2016 $55K+ car that is dabbling in the luxury market can have such poor low resolution camera/screen combo. I despise mine even more during the night time.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

Yes I have a similar problem. At times you put it in revers the camera goes blank to you switch back to drive
Old 06-17-2016, 08:26 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Happened once but just seriously delayed putting the backup camera on, didn't have to shift out of and back into reverse.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
I've not had that particular issue on my '14, but have found the entire infotainment system to be quite buggy. Sometimes the only fix is to pull over, turn off the car, and start it again. The thing is SLOW, too--they clearly put in an underpowered processor in the nav unit. It's especially frustrating because for many years Acura won all the awards for best/most usable nav systems!
Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Agree w the slow responsiveness of the unit. Very frustrating and for a 50k+ car should be much better. Acura has a lot of work to do with this.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had my 2016 for 2 months, haven't had an issue yet with the backup camera or navigation. Not sure when it was built, but the vin is 55,xxx.

Is there a link to find out when it was built?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Backup Camera - Worst Acura MDX EVER!!!!!

I've owned 5 Acuras including 3 MDXs. The 2016 MDX electronics are riddled with gremlins including this backup camera issue. The dealer said he would have to keep the car until they could see the blank screen. They cannot understand the word intermittent. Totally frustrated with the arrogant self righteous service manager. Trading for a Lexus hybrid. I'm done.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I've had my 2016 for 2 months, haven't had an issue yet with the backup camera or navigation. Not sure when it was built, but the vin is 55,xxx.

Is there a link to find out when it was built?
Driver's side door tag shows the build date.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

Fixed

After a lot of back-and-forth the dealership was able to convince Acura Corp to allow them to replace the Navigation unit even though it was intermittent because I had a video of the failure.
That fixed the issue entirely. But I noticed in the latest Service Bulletin for 2016 they have one for the navigation. Not sure if that would have fixed it or not but I am glad I got the whole thing replaced. So far, no other issues to report.

TSB 16-048 - Audio-Navigation System Update for Upper Screen Going Blank
Applies To: 2016 MDX - 2WD Tech, Tech-Ent, ADV, ADV-Ent - From VIN 5FRYD3...GB000000 thru 5FRYD3...GB011547
2016 MDX - AWD Tech, Tech-Ent, ADV, ADV-Ent - From VIN 5FRYD4...GB000000 thru 5FRYD4...GB037480
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-048.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-048.PDF
Old 11-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Racer

After initially reporting no experience with this issue, the problem came up about 2-3 months ago and I just sent the MDX in today for an attempt to get 16-048 applied. As always, the SA sounds skeptical that he can fix an intermittent issue (story of our lives, thanks Honda). So, the next step is to try and catch it on video like you did and force their hand that way, though that has traditionally not worked for me either (they say they must actually see it happening, so intermittent failures do not get repaired).
Old 11-04-2016, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

I will say that the video was not totally what did it. They still played the game of “looking at it” for a few days then returning it, rinse repeat. Which I was fine with so I could play the lemon law card. I finally told them they had three options, since Washington has a lemon law and I had been without my vehicle for a total of 30+ days for the same issue (does not need to be consecutive) and they failed to fix it, take it back and give me a new one, I would pay to have it replaced and if the new Navigation worked they could then reimburse me and take back the old one, or finally get Acura Corp to buy off on the replacement. This is the third Acura I purchased at this dealer ship so I also told them I could simply take it to another dealer and if they would do the replacement as a warranty job. If so, I would forever take my business there.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Racer

Gotcha. Sounds like another day with an Acura case. Despite TSBs existing, they always seem hesitant to do anything AT ALL.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Racer

Update: To my surprise, the dealership didn't hesitate to apply the TSB. They originally said they couldn't, but then said they found the disc so they're going to do it anyway. Well, that was easy! Too bad they won't fix some rattles in my car (using the every mdx has these rattles BS).
Old 11-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 9speed
I've owned 5 Acuras including 3 MDXs. The 2016 MDX electronics are riddled with gremlins including this backup camera issue. The dealer said he would have to keep the car until they could see the blank screen. They cannot understand the word intermittent. Totally frustrated with the arrogant self righteous service manager. Trading for a Lexus hybrid. I'm done.
You should have just recorded a video off your iphone and show it.. anyway just to let you, my lexus RX450h has the same crappy non HD reverse camera and often it does the blank screen where i have to shift it to N or park and back to R. I seen toyota with better cameras. Clublexus.com - urll find all the same or similar camera issues with backup cameras.

Granted I dont have the current gen that just came out, so its previous gen. But still fairly new and has the same issues
Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I should've joined and read this article before I spent my 55k... Darnit