2015 MDX v 2015 Lexus RX350 thoughts...and CPO thoughts? Package options?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 MDX v 2015 Lexus RX350 thoughts...and CPO thoughts? Package options?

Hello all, been awhile since I've been on AcuraZine. My wife's 2014 X3 is nearing the end of it's warranty stay. We've been researching some possible options for replacement vs keeping the X3. Right now the top three contenders for replacement in no particular order are as follows:

Acura MDX - 2015
Lexus RX350 - 2015 (maybe 2014 depending on in-service date)
Mazda CX9 - 2016

We drove both the RX350 and the MDX today fairly extensively though both will warrant another longer test drive.

The RX350 was unquestionably built better, materials were better as was the fit and finish. The vehicle is a well put together item, despite this one being a touch rough inside (we aren't buying this week, but wanted to explore space for the kids etc) it was quiet with almost no rattles or squeaks. It drove reasonably well but the X3 drives like a sport sedan, it's a great driving SUV with the M Sport package, which we have.

The MDX drove a bit more sporty than the Lexus, the steering had noticeably more feel despite being lighter in weight and the suspension was a bit firmer. This transmitted a bit more road noise but the cabin was still reasonably quiet. What I did not like was the material quality, there were also a lot of poor fitting trim pieces and areas where it was clear trim had been pulled off and re-applied which implies either problems with the vehicle that warranted a repair or that the trim falls apart. Oddly I looked at a couple of others which also had some similar issues with various trim bits on b-pillars and a-pillars.

The MDX strikes me a slightly more sporty than the RX, but more of a "premium" standard tier car than a premium brand if that makes sense. However, the third row would be convenient from time to time and it seemed (though I didn't measure) with the third row down there was more cargo capacity, another good plus for the MDX. I also like the MDX engine better, it was similarly smooth to the Lexus mill but made better noises, was just as eager to rev and gets better MPG.

The Lexus CPO program now has unlimited miles, that's pretty huge for us because we'll likely put 20k miles/yr on the vehicle. The Acura CPO program doesn't seem as robust but the guy at the Acura dealer couldn't tell me shit about the Acura CPO program or the MDX in general, I knew far more than he did based on 20 mins of research prior to arriving at the dealer.

I'm also trying to sort through the MDX packages, we would prefer heated and ventilated seats, and front parking sensors but they told us that was only available on the highest tier package? I'm not sure I want all those electronics on the upper tier package which will one day fail? Why would the MDX not have front parking sensors on a lower tier package? That strikes me as odd.

My wife and I agree the "convenience" items in the MDX may outweigh the build quality assuming they actually hold up well to daily use. The two examples we saw today left a lot to be desired, but they could just be poor examples. I would really appreciate some help, thoughts and insight from you all on this.

I'm going 2015 year because I don't want the first year of the new designed 2014...or the 9 speed auto on the 2016, seems a lot of issues with 9 speed being reported.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple random thoughts. If you don't need the third row check out the RDX. If the standard RX isn't sporty enough, try the Fsport version.

We came from an older RX350 to the MDX. The RX was higher quality inside but boring to drive compared to the MDX (wife's car and she doesn't care about driving dynamics). The RX ended up having powertrain reliability issues after 90k miles so it had to go. We had peviously decided her next car would have three rows so we landed on the MDX. We've had positive experiences with Hondas in the past, so it seemed like a safe bet.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
A couple random thoughts. If you don't need the third row check out the RDX. If the standard RX isn't sporty enough, try the Fsport version.

We came from an older RX350 to the MDX. The RX was higher quality inside but boring to drive compared to the MDX (wife's car and she doesn't care about driving dynamics). The RX ended up having powertrain reliability issues after 90k miles so it had to go. We had peviously decided her next car would have three rows so we landed on the MDX. We've had positive experiences with Hondas in the past, so it seemed like a safe bet.
Thanks Keith, the RDX is simply too small, it's smaller than our X3, or at least interior space isn't used as well. And I couldn't get a good driving position in it for my 6'6 frame.

Has your MDX been reliable? Did you buy new or CPO?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Bought it CPO. It's a '15 with 32k on it now. Had some software issues with the HVAC that have been addressed with TSB updates. Also the power lift gate doesn't consistently open all the way, usually a couple inches shy and now the exterior hatch button only opens it 1 out of 10 times. Heading back to dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
OP - Both are great options and you can't really go wrong with either. There is no question the MDX will be a bit more sporty in the way in handles, the SH-AWD is pretty darn good. If you want a vehicle that is very reliable, likely a better re-sale value down the road and worry-free ownership, I would lean toward the RX.

This is purely subjective but I would give the slight nudge to the RX but not by much, the MDX is a pretty darn fine SUV - The best product done by Acura at the moment.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Joining for the ride... I am considering these three options as well. If Acura got the 9-speed transmission right it would be a no-brainer for me, but the uncertainty surrounding it really makes me nervous.

For your gas mileage note - the RX requires regular gas so on a per a mile driven basis, I bet the RX is slightly ahead, albeit the lower MPG. ------> Which fuel grade should I use for my Lexus vehicle?

Have you seen the redesigned RX interior? Looks a lot better than in the previous generation. I have not personally been inside of it, but it looks more visually appealing.

2017 Lexus RX - Luxury Crossover - Gallery | Lexus.com
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ALarsh
Joining for the ride... I am considering these three options as well. If Acura got the 9-speed transmission right it would be a no-brainer for me, but the uncertainty surrounding it really makes me nervous.

For your gas mileage note - the RX requires regular gas so on a per a mile driven basis, I bet the RX is slightly ahead, albeit the lower MPG. ------> Which fuel grade should I use for my Lexus vehicle?

Have you seen the redesigned RX interior? Looks a lot better than in the previous generation. I have not personally been inside of it, but it looks more visually appealing.

2017 Lexus RX - Luxury Crossover - Gallery Lexus.com
Yes and I have also driven the new RX. The new RX provides some improvement but the steering has gotten further into electronic feeling realm with the new RX. The new interior is very VERY nice and the cabin is quieter at low speeds, there's less noise that penetrates the cabin from the side windows.

Having said that, it's a lot more money, I'm not a big fan of the exterior looks, especially the rear 3/4 view, I think it looks bad frankly...I haven't totally ruled out a newer RX, but CPO is a must for us, the warranty is better for our situation than buying new and I'd rather keep the thousands in the bank then sink them into a depreciating vehicle, especially when plenty of 2015s can be had for mid to upper 30s.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Good to know. I'm looking to get into one of these models for $35k or under, which makes a 1-2-year-old MDX look pretty attractive from a cost and value perspective.

Have you been in the CX-9? It always scores pretty well in the car magazines, but a 2.5L 4 cylinder with just slightly better gas mileage than the MDX doesn't seem to tick the boxes...
Old 01-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ALarsh
Good to know. I'm looking to get into one of these models for $35k or under, which makes a 1-2-year-old MDX look pretty attractive from a cost and value perspective.

Have you been in the CX-9? It always scores pretty well in the car magazines, but a 2.5L 4 cylinder with just slightly better gas mileage than the MDX doesn't seem to tick the boxes...
I have not driven the CX-9 but we will drive it before we get something else. We've owned Mazda's in the past and the two recent cars (a 2006 mazda3 and a 2010 speed3) proved reliable.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by panzerkiller13; 05-04-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Post was posted in wrong thread
Old 05-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
[QUOTE=ALarsh;15926842] . . . . . . . . . Have you seen the redesigned RX interior? Looks a lot better than in the previous generation. I have not personally been inside of it, but it looks more visually appealing.[QUOTE]

Too bad the grill is still hideous!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=moose66;16230227][QUOTE=ALarsh;15926842] . . . . . . . . . Have you seen the redesigned RX interior? Looks a lot better than in the previous generation. I have not personally been inside of it, but it looks more visually appealing.

Too bad the grill is still hideous!
The Acura or Lexus?? They're both bad.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Lexus. I’m a strong advocate of the Lexus for build quality and performance. Styling is the problem for me. Just not digging the mug. Acura has made some strides stepping away from the beak. A welcomed, somewhat conservative approach in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe it’s me, but i think the acura V6 sounds much better than the Lexus V6 when pushed hard. My wife had a 450H and it drove like a school bus.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Robs252
Maybe it’s me, but i think the acura V6 sounds much better than the Lexus V6 when pushed hard. My wife had a 450H and it drove like a school bus.
The Acura also drove more sporty especially for a big SUV. But we looked at half a dozen and the build quality and interiors were not very good. Interior trim was bad with gaps, separation, in one the gloss on the wood trim was flaking off, A,B and C pillar covers were lose on three of them and the dealer acted as if this was perfectly acceptable for a CPO vehicle. They were also evasive on things the CPO warranty would or wouldn't cover.

Experience at the Lexus dealership was basically that we walk on water, still that way to this day two years after the purchase. Aesthetically I liked the Acura a lot more, but this Lexus gets put through the ringer with our kids and dog and yeah it's a little dirty but damn if it hasn't held up fantastically well.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
We were torn between the RX350 and the MDX. Pulled the trigger on the MDX because the even though the materials were better in the Lexus trim for trim (in most trims), we found the leather and materials better in the Acura in the top trim, the Advance. That's what we bought.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
We were torn between the RX350 and the MDX. Pulled the trigger on the MDX because the even though the materials were better in the Lexus trim for trim (in most trims), we found the leather and materials better in the Acura in the top trim, the Advance. That's what we bought.
If you bought new, hard to go wrong IMO. You can treat it well. If you bought used, I hope you looked over the interior well. If you did then more power to you, we liked them a lot. They'll be on our list for her next vehicle as well, but by then they should have an all new MDX on the market.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Used.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, but my vote goes to the MDX. Specifically the 2019 A-Spec, but we're talking used so I'd say 2015 for the 6AT!

Whatever you think, the take away here is whatever you get, don't get a Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
its down to preference really. both great options. RX was never on my list purely on handling performances, needing more room and versatility with 3d row seating, and the sh-awd. If you value performance, i suggest you put the mdx in sport mode and S gear and go for a blast on the freeway on ramps and play with the paddles a little. love how the car turns and the linear power close to the redline. was deciding between mdx and f-pace but value and reliability and space won out where you get so much more with MDX. good luck with your purchase!

PS: i drive like a hooligan until the freeways are open and can maintain 80mph, and i get 21MPG, when no chance to gas it on freeway driving i actually get 25mpg on those trips.

Last edited by shenofjo; 01-06-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
True luxury interior = RX

Sporty interior with great handling and 3 rows = MDX

My MDX was my car to drive around so i needed something I could have a little a fun in when I'm not hauling around the family. Mdx Hybrid does the job perfectly.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
OP - I test drove both cars back to back in November.

RX is a winner when it comes to interior quality and premium feel.
MDX is less premium but the driving is not comparable. MDX is just awesome...handles well and super spacious. If you have 2 kids, just fold the 3rd row and you have a huge trunk.

In my opinion, it comes down to 2 things:
1. Luxury - premium feel
2. Sporty handling and space

I am unbiased as I didn't make my mind yet. I am an Acura fan but it doesn't mean I will give you a bias suggestion. You won't lose by buying either one of them. Just buy the one that will make you happy and enjoy the ride I am on the same boat as you, I have to pull the trigger soon. I have 2019 RDX, 2017 MDX, 2016-2017 RX and 2016 GLC on my list. I eliminated QX60 as it's boring and it looks like a car from 1990. Last but not least the transmission is a CVT. There is no power.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Stylish. I like the new look.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi,

Believe me, I went into this comparison when I was at the point of getting rid off the 12 Nissan Rogue because of gear slipping, and considering expending of family, I chose the 15 MDX over 15 RX350.
But for the quality, RX350 is always better than MDX, for almost the same price range, the RX350 will offer more premium option than the MDX, if you don't need the third row, I will suggest you go with the RX350, but I need the third row and larger cargo over the weekend, otherwise, I will go for the RX350 as well.
But 15 MDX was a good deal, it was still under basic warranty when I got it, but the transmission is jerky at low speed, so far my only complaint is the jerky tranny, and I am decided to live with it.

Search this Thread