2015 MDX tech with 32K miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2015 MDX tech with 32K miles

Everyones input would be great on this. I was about to buy a Acura 2015 MDX with tech package CPO from Acura dealership for about 35k in NJ. Which is close to base price, but the color is blue. Everything was going pretty well and the dealer said he was going to wash the car and detail it. When I was about to finalize the deal, I see there is a 2 deep pin hold scratches on the hood, deep scratch on the door trim and the back bumper. I told him if he doesn't want to fix it, then they should take some money off the base price. I told him if I take it to someone to fix they'll charge me over $ 1k. He comes back and tells me that he'll have it fix for $500 ( just the bumper) and he'll split the cost with me. After going back an forth, I told him he can keep his car. Later on that night he texts me and says that he promises to make the deal work and see if he can change the bumper and change the door trim at no cost.

I trust that he was going to get the car detailed in the same day, but he didn't. Am I wrong for not accepting this....
I feel like I could of went to any use dealership and got a car that had less damage for a better price. I was just going to this Acura dealership since it's CPO.

Last edited by BigJLM1; 10-29-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
If it were me, I’d walk. They’ll be another one. Seems like the dealer is trying to pass issues along to you. Certification is great, if the car is clean. Gotta watch out for those hidden dents, dings, etc. Sounds like you’ve done that.
The following users liked this post:
BigJLM1 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I would go find something else. In this case I wouldn't trust it being a true CPO.
BigJLM1 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
Ask yourself, does this dealer deserve the privilege of your money after telling you to fix a car you haven't even bought yet? lol
Sounds like something you'd hear from Springfield Acura
BigJLM1 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
"Certified Pre-Owned" has never meant much to me. They always have some multi-point inspection that I'm guessing a tech skims over in 15 minutes. I do my own "multi-point inspection" as well as take it to my mechanic who I guarantee does a hell of a lot better job than the Acura tech.

In your case, I'm guessing they pretty much skipped the exterior section on yours. Seems #145 is pretty clear on scratches and all the items that indicate "finish". Makes me wonder how good of a job they did on the mechanical inspection.....

According to Acura CPU: https://www.acura.com/content/pdf/CPO_150pt.pdf

BigJLM1 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Ask yourself, does this dealer deserve the privilege of your money after telling you to fix a car you haven't even bought yet? lol
Sounds like something you'd hear from Springfield Acura

Yup, Sprinfield Acura is the dealership which I went too. I thought they where good from the reviews, but their terrible with CPO.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by losiglow
"Certified Pre-Owned" has never meant much to me. They always have some multi-point inspection that I'm guessing a tech skims over in 15 minutes. I do my own "multi-point inspection" as well as take it to my mechanic who I guarantee does a hell of a lot better job than the Acura tech.

In your case, I'm guessing they pretty much skipped the exterior section on yours. Seems #145 is pretty clear on scratches and all the items that indicate "finish". Makes me wonder how good of a job they did on the mechanical inspection.....

According to Acura CPU: https://www.acura.com/content/pdf/CPO_150pt.pdf

I don't understand how they get away with all his. I was soo happy about to get my new CPO Acura MDX, my wife notice it was parked in the darked. They have tons of lights at the dealership, why park it in the dark. The guy said he was going to have someone buff and detail the car ( which i doubt ever happen), bc they wanted me to pick up the car in the same day. Then she notice all of the extra scratches and something that looked like a dent on the bumper. Including the 2 pin holds on the hood, that seem to be below the paint ( which will eventually rust ) and the side window trim scratch/bulge.

I don't expect the car to be perfect, but for a CPO. I don't expect it to have all this damage.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
becuase.. the term CPO was completly made up in the early 90's by Lexus. it's a marketing term/ploy.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigJLM1
I don't expect the car to be perfect, but for a CPO. I don't expect it to have all this damage.
All of the damage is the normal "wear and tear" the CPO warranty does not cover. You know, the kind of stuff you were fortunate enough to see BEFORE you signed the paperwork. Thanks, but no thanks!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
When I worked for a dealership many years ago, we referred to that kind of vehicle as "Set up for night delivery", Sad but true.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluepill
When I worked for a dealership many years ago, we referred to that kind of vehicle as "Set up for night delivery", Sad but true.
Sort of the same reason you may want to trade a car in at night or on a rainy day. Works both ways!
Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
I remember trading in a 6 month old 350Z with major bumper damage. A wrench flew at the car at 75 mph...ouch! I covered the front with a bra, to my surprise dealer didn't even take off bra to check. Still took a pretty big hit trading in a 6 mos old car, but it would have cost me at least $1K to fix that bumper. We needed more room since we're expecting a new baby at the time.. moved up to a 4Runner. Two seater 350Z just had to go 😅
Old 11-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When buying a CPO car, try to find one that was traded back to the selling dealer (or neighboring) instead of one that was bought at auction. You can easily tell from the CarFAX report.