Notices

2015 acura mdx exhaust system?

 
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 acura mdx exhaust system?

hello everyone just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket exhaust system on the 3G mdx and if so which one is good also i am looking for something with a deep sound but less aggressive something like the infinite FX 45 sounds like
bhaktac5 is offline  
Old 03-24-2016, 01:58 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,845
Received 624 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by bhaktac5 View Post
hello everyone just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket exhaust system on the 3G mdx and if so which one is good also i am looking for something with a deep sound but less aggressive something like the infinite FX 45 sounds like
Not many people mod the mdx, its a shame though because it has really good potential. I don't think any companies make an exhaust system specifically for the 3G mdx. You could easily go to an exhaust shop and explain your goals and see what they say, then go onto an exhaust forum and ask if you are unfamiliar. My idea would be to go with a flomaster exhaust and then delete the resonators.

But if the exhaust system is the same as the 2G rdx, there is actually quite a few parts for that generation.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:27 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 76
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Closest thing there is would be a High Flow Cat or PCD:

Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums - View Single Post - Performance Modifications - Master Thread

The RV6 is the only bolt on. I'm considering the same 'variable' sound like you mentioned with the FX45.

There's a muffler brand: DynoMax VT (Variable Tune) DynoMax® VT® Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust
Which has the spring loaded flap (works on CFM output, similar to BMW/Infiniti) however I haven't had the time to research which model would be best appropriate for the MDX.

I think that'll be the best bet though, if you go for it, please post up!
808tesh is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bhaktac5 (05-21-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:19 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 70
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out also the Magnaflow mufflers. They provide deep sound that you might like.
karlmax is offline  
Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like the 2016 MDX muffler is in two parts. Will removing and replacing with a Magnaflow affect any sensors? I was looking at a one entry/two exit muffler and creating dual exhausts.
ricrx7 is offline  
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for the input i might just go ask about the dynomax VT at a muffler shop
bhaktac5 is offline  
Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 AM
  #7  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,424
Received 13,975 Likes on 10,381 Posts
you will never get an Acura to sound like an Infiniti.

there are just things out of your control.
like cylinder firing order and the particular engine characteristics......

Honda's, especially the J-series LOVES TO REV!
this translates to ugly sounding exhaust note.
the rasp is real, fellas!
justnspace is offline  
Old 05-12-2016, 12:27 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 76
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrx7 View Post
It looks like the 2016 MDX muffler is in two parts. Will removing and replacing with a Magnaflow affect any sensors? I was looking at a one entry/two exit muffler and creating dual exhausts.
There's no sensors after the cat - so you should be fine.

Originally Posted by bhaktac5 View Post
thank you for the input i might just go ask about the dynomax VT at a muffler shop
take a video if you hear one in person! The thing that gets me from ordering is not hearing one in person with our motor type - I'd really want to explore a dual-exit setup.. someday haha

Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
you will never get an Acura to sound like an Infiniti.

there are just things out of your control.
like cylinder firing order and the particular engine characteristics......

Honda's, especially the J-series LOVES TO REV!
this translates to ugly sounding exhaust note.
the rasp is real, fellas!
no doubt - i hope anyone looking at exhausts realizes that motor type makes the sound. that said, the VT should sound (in volume) similar to 'active exhausts' on the market
808tesh is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking to RV6 about exhaust now. If we can get enough people (10) they will consider making a system for the mdx. The vehicle has a ton of potential
Bswain321 is offline  
Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 AM
  #10  
me3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not much love for MDX in aftermarket dept...sad.
me3 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:20 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ocean
Age: 44
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a bummer. I would love to give my mdx a throatier sound. Sounds like a Honda now lol
upsilon98 is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 47
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
you will never get an Acura to sound like an Infiniti.

there are just things out of your control.
like cylinder firing order and the particular engine characteristics......

Honda's, especially the J-series LOVES TO REV!
this translates to ugly sounding exhaust note.
the rasp is real, fellas!
my friend has a TL with the 3.7. He wanted more sound and wasn't crazy about the aftermarket exhausts or their prices. I told him to just do a muffler delete. The cat is still in place and the resonator is there to prevent drone. His car sounds great now. Way better than either of us could have imagined. Yes the Acura likes to rev more, but because of Hat it actually had more of an exotic sound to it now. Like a cross between a bike and a high revving Italian 8 cylinder. I was playing around with him the other night on the highway in my other car and it sounded really good at highway speeds as well. Didn't do anything for performance though, because my golf wagon pulled on him
JTC05 is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Age: 35
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone moved forward with an exhaust? JTC05, do you or your buddy have any sound clips of his exhaust with the muffler delete?
chilbolt is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:59 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bswain321 View Post
Taking to RV6 about exhaust now. If we can get enough people (10) they will consider making a system for the mdx. The vehicle has a ton of potential
I'm down with this idea, I can even deposit some money if need to. Lets get it going.
Apollo2TheMoon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bhaktac5 (09-06-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
KB1Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 3,320
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
I am just trying to figure it out how it would look for a 2014 - 2016 MDX as there is no exhaust outlet, unlike the new 2017.
Unless you take out the reflectors. I thought about the idea before but did not executed as there is too much work. I was going to get an Universal Remus exhaust.

2014 - 2016 single side and the 2017 are dual exhaust.
KB1Spec is offline  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Age: 35
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although adding actual exhaust outlets would look awesome, I would like to hear a sound clip of anyone who has even modded their exhaust (cat delete, muffler delete, muffler swap, etc.)
chilbolt is offline  
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bayside, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in a setup. I'm a design engineer so maybe I could create on in CAD.
Onyxthecat is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 01:13 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 117
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyxthecat View Post
I would be interested in a setup. I'm a design engineer so maybe I could create on in CAD.
Hooray, can't wait.
Apollo2TheMoon is offline  
Old 08-09-2017, 11:26 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not exactly sure what the muffler/exhaust setup is like on the mdx but i ended up modding the exhaust on my 2016 rdx. i wanted a deeper, throatier sound like an infiniti and i knew i wasn't going to get exactly that but i could at least try to get something close to it.
i started with deleting the res since it seemed like the way to go. it made it throatier but not much louder. the biggest difference was the drone inside the cabin though. it was more noticeable than anything happening with the exhaust outside the car.

i started dabbling with possibly throwing the res back on and then removing the muffler to run straight pipes from the axel back but i quickly shot that idea down after i heard an sq5 do exactly that. no resemblance to our car at all but it let me know that it would be WAY too loud if i did that so instead, i got the magna flow 12265 (single in, dual out, transverse style) and i couldn't be more happier. it gave me that deeper sound i wanted without too much drone inside but its loud enough for me to hear it when i step on it from inside the cabin. if i get the chance to, ill post a video of how it sounds.

hope this helps!
johnnyytruong is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
KB1Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 3,320
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyytruong View Post
not exactly sure what the muffler/exhaust setup is like on the mdx but i ended up modding the exhaust on my 2016 rdx. i wanted a deeper, throatier sound like an infiniti and i knew i wasn't going to get exactly that but i could at least try to get something close to it.
i started with deleting the res since it seemed like the way to go. it made it throatier but not much louder. the biggest difference was the drone inside the cabin though. it was more noticeable than anything happening with the exhaust outside the car.

i started dabbling with possibly throwing the res back on and then removing the muffler to run straight pipes from the axel back but i quickly shot that idea down after i heard an sq5 do exactly that. no resemblance to our car at all but it let me know that it would be WAY too loud if i did that so instead, i got the magna flow 12265 (single in, dual out, transverse style) and i couldn't be more happier. it gave me that deeper sound i wanted without too much drone inside but its loud enough for me to hear it when i step on it from inside the cabin. if i get the chance to, ill post a video of how it sounds.

hope this helps!
Do you have a picture of your set up? Just curious to see how you run it since the 2016 RDX and MDX do not have any exhaust outlet. Unless you run it underneath the bumper
KB1Spec is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:33 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KB1Spec View Post
Do you have a picture of your set up? Just curious to see how you run it since the 2016 RDX and MDX do not have any exhaust outlet. Unless you run it underneath the bumper
ill snap a few pics and a video later today for you. while i was at the shop, we played around with some tips and how it would look but in the end, we decided it wouldn't look great unless we started cutting the bumper and fitting it in that way but i wanted to keep things as oem as possible so i passed on the tips. the pipes are pointed downwards , exactly how the stock setup is, only difference is that since my muffler is smaller now, the 2 out pipes are longer. to the average eye, everything seems ordinary and non-modified but to all acura owners, you'll probably notice immediately lol
johnnyytruong is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
here are the links to my vids. took quick vids so don't mind the shitty camera work.
the muffler does not sound anywhere near as deep in the vid as it does in person. this was also a warm start

johnnyytruong is offline  
Old 08-11-2017, 01:25 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
KB1Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 3,320
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Nice set up on what you did on the RDX. There has been some complaint in regards to the exhaust outlets on all the Acura vehicles. ILX, MDX, TLX, RDX and RLX where there is a lack of visibility on exhaust outlets.
I guess the new 2017 and up Acura line up have redesign the bumper to show more aggressive looks with exhaust outlets.
KB1Spec is offline  
Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yea ive heard a ton of complaints about the lack of visible exhaust tips but I don't mind it on the rdx or mdx. I can see why the ilx and tlx owners might complain but I'm a fan of how they styled the current gen rdx and mdx. The a-spec tlx has massive tips now and I'm not digging those
johnnyytruong is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Age: 35
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have any other videos of the sound when pulling away from a dead stop or the sound of WOT or accelerating from 50-85mph?
chilbolt is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:20 PM
  #26  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Age: 61
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust

Originally Posted by Bswain321 View Post
Taking to RV6 about exhaust now. If we can get enough people (10) they will consider making a system for the mdx. The vehicle has a ton of potential

they make one?
Patrick Mcgough is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
gavriil
Automotive News
4313
04-30-2019 08:42 AM
TSX69
Third Generation RLX (2013+)
1406
01-11-2019 10:57 PM
TSX69
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
49
09-06-2016 04:23 AM
gavriil
Automotive News
116
05-03-2016 05:25 PM
crxb
Third Generation RLX (2013+)
5
03-25-2016 07:23 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 acura mdx exhaust system?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.