AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   2015 acura mdx exhaust system? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/2015-acura-mdx-exhaust-system-943475/)

bhaktac5 03-23-2016 09:20 PM

2015 acura mdx exhaust system?

hello everyone just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket exhaust system on the 3G mdx and if so which one is good also i am looking for something with a deep sound but less aggressive something like the infinite FX 45 sounds like

RDX10 03-24-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bhaktac5 (Post 15710719)
hello everyone just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket exhaust system on the 3G mdx and if so which one is good also i am looking for something with a deep sound but less aggressive something like the infinite FX 45 sounds like

Not many people mod the mdx, its a shame though because it has really good potential. I don't think any companies make an exhaust system specifically for the 3G mdx. You could easily go to an exhaust shop and explain your goals and see what they say, then go onto an exhaust forum and ask if you are unfamiliar. My idea would be to go with a flomaster exhaust and then delete the resonators.

But if the exhaust system is the same as the 2G rdx, there is actually quite a few parts for that generation.

808tesh 03-24-2016 04:27 PM

Closest thing there is would be a High Flow Cat or PCD:

Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums - View Single Post - Performance Modifications - Master Thread

The RV6 is the only bolt on. I'm considering the same 'variable' sound like you mentioned with the FX45.

There's a muffler brand: DynoMax VT (Variable Tune) DynoMax® VT® Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust
Which has the spring loaded flap (works on CFM output, similar to BMW/Infiniti) however I haven't had the time to research which model would be best appropriate for the MDX.

I think that'll be the best bet though, if you go for it, please post up!

karlmax 03-30-2016 10:19 AM

Check out also the Magnaflow mufflers. They provide deep sound that you might like.

ricrx7 05-10-2016 08:40 PM

It looks like the 2016 MDX muffler is in two parts. Will removing and replacing with a Magnaflow affect any sensors? I was looking at a one entry/two exit muffler and creating dual exhausts.

bhaktac5 05-10-2016 09:06 PM

thank you for the input i might just go ask about the dynomax VT at a muffler shop

justnspace 05-11-2016 06:44 AM

you will never get an Acura to sound like an Infiniti.

there are just things out of your control.
like cylinder firing order and the particular engine characteristics......

Honda's, especially the J-series LOVES TO REV!
this translates to ugly sounding exhaust note.
the rasp is real, fellas!

808tesh 05-12-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ricrx7 (Post 15748603)
It looks like the 2016 MDX muffler is in two parts. Will removing and replacing with a Magnaflow affect any sensors? I was looking at a one entry/two exit muffler and creating dual exhausts.

There's no sensors after the cat - so you should be fine.

Originally Posted by bhaktac5 (Post 15748616)
thank you for the input i might just go ask about the dynomax VT at a muffler shop

take a video if you hear one in person! The thing that gets me from ordering is not hearing one in person with our motor type - I'd really want to explore a dual-exit setup.. someday haha

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15748769)

no doubt - i hope anyone looking at exhausts realizes that motor type makes the sound. that said, the VT should sound (in volume) similar to 'active exhausts' on the market

Bswain321 05-25-2016 03:05 PM

Taking to RV6 about exhaust now. If we can get enough people (10) they will consider making a system for the mdx. The vehicle has a ton of potential

me3 05-29-2016 11:37 AM

not much love for MDX in aftermarket dept...sad.

upsilon98 02-05-2017 11:20 PM

This is a bummer. I would love to give my mdx a throatier sound. Sounds like a Honda now lol

JTC05 02-06-2017 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15748769)

my friend has a TL with the 3.7. He wanted more sound and wasn't crazy about the aftermarket exhausts or their prices. I told him to just do a muffler delete. The cat is still in place and the resonator is there to prevent drone. His car sounds great now. Way better than either of us could have imagined. Yes the Acura likes to rev more, but because of Hat it actually had more of an exotic sound to it now. Like a cross between a bike and a high revving Italian 8 cylinder. I was playing around with him the other night on the highway in my other car and it sounded really good at highway speeds as well. Didn't do anything for performance though, because my golf wagon pulled on him

chilbolt 07-24-2017 02:14 PM

Has anyone moved forward with an exhaust? JTC05, do you or your buddy have any sound clips of his exhaust with the muffler delete?

Apollo2TheMoon 07-24-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bswain321 (Post 15761687)
Taking to RV6 about exhaust now. If we can get enough people (10) they will consider making a system for the mdx. The vehicle has a ton of potential

I'm down with this idea, I can even deposit some money if need to. Lets get it going.

KB1Spec 07-24-2017 05:47 PM

I am just trying to figure it out how it would look for a 2014 - 2016 MDX as there is no exhaust outlet, unlike the new 2017.
Unless you take out the reflectors. I thought about the idea before but did not executed as there is too much work. I was going to get an Universal Remus exhaust.

2014 - 2016 single side and the 2017 are dual exhaust.

chilbolt 07-25-2017 07:35 AM

Although adding actual exhaust outlets would look awesome, I would like to hear a sound clip of anyone who has even modded their exhaust (cat delete, muffler delete, muffler swap, etc.)

Onyxthecat 07-29-2017 08:10 AM

I would be interested in a setup. I'm a design engineer so maybe I could create on in CAD.

Apollo2TheMoon 07-30-2017 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onyxthecat (Post 16067262)
I would be interested in a setup. I'm a design engineer so maybe I could create on in CAD.

Hooray, can't wait.

johnnyytruong 08-09-2017 11:26 PM

not exactly sure what the muffler/exhaust setup is like on the mdx but i ended up modding the exhaust on my 2016 rdx. i wanted a deeper, throatier sound like an infiniti and i knew i wasn't going to get exactly that but i could at least try to get something close to it.
i started with deleting the res since it seemed like the way to go. it made it throatier but not much louder. the biggest difference was the drone inside the cabin though. it was more noticeable than anything happening with the exhaust outside the car.

i started dabbling with possibly throwing the res back on and then removing the muffler to run straight pipes from the axel back but i quickly shot that idea down after i heard an sq5 do exactly that. no resemblance to our car at all but it let me know that it would be WAY too loud if i did that so instead, i got the magna flow 12265 (single in, dual out, transverse style) and i couldn't be more happier. it gave me that deeper sound i wanted without too much drone inside but its loud enough for me to hear it when i step on it from inside the cabin. if i get the chance to, ill post a video of how it sounds.

hope this helps!

KB1Spec 08-10-2017 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyytruong (Post 16074189)
not exactly sure what the muffler/exhaust setup is like on the mdx but i ended up modding the exhaust on my 2016 rdx. i wanted a deeper, throatier sound like an infiniti and i knew i wasn't going to get exactly that but i could at least try to get something close to it.
i started with deleting the res since it seemed like the way to go. it made it throatier but not much louder. the biggest difference was the drone inside the cabin though. it was more noticeable than anything happening with the exhaust outside the car.

i started dabbling with possibly throwing the res back on and then removing the muffler to run straight pipes from the axel back but i quickly shot that idea down after i heard an sq5 do exactly that. no resemblance to our car at all but it let me know that it would be WAY too loud if i did that so instead, i got the magna flow 12265 (single in, dual out, transverse style) and i couldn't be more happier. it gave me that deeper sound i wanted without too much drone inside but its loud enough for me to hear it when i step on it from inside the cabin. if i get the chance to, ill post a video of how it sounds.

hope this helps!

Do you have a picture of your set up? Just curious to see how you run it since the 2016 RDX and MDX do not have any exhaust outlet. Unless you run it underneath the bumper

johnnyytruong 08-10-2017 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by KB1Spec (Post 16074483)
Do you have a picture of your set up? Just curious to see how you run it since the 2016 RDX and MDX do not have any exhaust outlet. Unless you run it underneath the bumper

ill snap a few pics and a video later today for you. while i was at the shop, we played around with some tips and how it would look but in the end, we decided it wouldn't look great unless we started cutting the bumper and fitting it in that way but i wanted to keep things as oem as possible so i passed on the tips. the pipes are pointed downwards , exactly how the stock setup is, only difference is that since my muffler is smaller now, the 2 out pipes are longer. to the average eye, everything seems ordinary and non-modified but to all acura owners, you'll probably notice immediately lol

johnnyytruong 08-10-2017 05:07 PM

here are the links to my vids. took quick vids so don't mind the shitty camera work.
the muffler does not sound anywhere near as deep in the vid as it does in person. this was also a warm start

KB1Spec 08-11-2017 01:25 PM

Nice set up on what you did on the RDX. There has been some complaint in regards to the exhaust outlets on all the Acura vehicles. ILX, MDX, TLX, RDX and RLX where there is a lack of visibility on exhaust outlets.
I guess the new 2017 and up Acura line up have redesign the bumper to show more aggressive looks with exhaust outlets.

johnnyytruong 08-11-2017 03:28 PM

Yea ive heard a ton of complaints about the lack of visible exhaust tips but I don't mind it on the rdx or mdx. I can see why the ilx and tlx owners might complain but I'm a fan of how they styled the current gen rdx and mdx. The a-spec tlx has massive tips now and I'm not digging those

chilbolt 09-13-2017 01:53 PM

Do you have any other videos of the sound when pulling away from a dead stop or the sound of WOT or accelerating from 50-85mph?

Patrick Mcgough 02-25-2019 03:20 PM

Exhaust

Originally Posted by Bswain321 (Post 15761687)

they make one?