2014 MDX SH-AWD Safety Recall TSB 11/14/2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 MDX SH-AWD Safety Recall TSB 11/14/2013

Got this from mdxers.org

From mdxers.org (posted by member hondaacuraplanet)

DATE: November 14, 2013

TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers and Personnel

FROM: Acura Parts, Service &Technical Division, Campaign Administration

RE: Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2014 MDX SH-AWD Propeller Shaft Bolts

Today, November 14, 2013, Acura will notify NHTSA of a Stop Sale order and Safety Recall for some 2014 MDX SH-AWD vehicles. Any new or used vehicles in dealer stock must be repaired per S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose or Missing prior to sale. Refer to VIN Inquiry status to determine which vehicles in your inventory are affected.
Affected vehicles should not be sold until the repair has been completed. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause any injury or damage because of the required recall repair, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify Acura for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem
During manufacturing, a small number of vehicles may have been produced with improperly torqued propeller shaft bolts. An improperly torqued bolt may become loose and eventually fall out. If the propeller shaft becomes unsecured, it may cause damage to the fuel and/or exhaust systems, or come into contact with the road, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Repair
All affected vehicles require inspection of the propeller shaft bolts to determine if they are properly torqued. If the bolts are not properly torqued, they will be tightened to the correct specification. If any bolts are missing, they will require replacement.

Parts Information
A small number of propeller shaft bolts (P/N 90113-S10-000) will be allocated to all dealers with unsold affected units. Additional replacement propeller shaft bolts are available through normal parts ordering. Acura expects that a very small number of affected units (less than 4%, or about 900) will require repair of any kind, and an even smaller number will require bolt replacement.

Service Bulletin
In support of this recall, S/B 13-042 has been posted on ISIS as of November 14, 2013. It includes inspection, repair, parts and warranty information related to this campaign.
Warranty and Repair Information
Warranty, inspection, and repair information is detailed in S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose Or Missing.

Customer Notification
Acura expects to complete customer notification in early December 2013.
As always, make sure to check in VIN Inquiry status to determine if a particular vehicle is eligible for this recall.

Attached is a copy of the technical service bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
b13-042.pdf (88.3 KB, 170 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by OhioMDXer:
jlkdoh (11-18-2013), RL06tech (11-14-2013), snookssec (11-19-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
Got this from mdxers.org

From mdxers.org (posted by member hondaacuraplanet)

DATE: November 14, 2013

TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers and Personnel

FROM: Acura Parts, Service &Technical Division, Campaign Administration

RE: Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2014 MDX SH-AWD Propeller Shaft Bolts

Today, November 14, 2013, Acura will notify NHTSA of a Stop Sale order and Safety Recall for some 2014 MDX SH-AWD vehicles. Any new or used vehicles in dealer stock must be repaired per S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose or Missing prior to sale. Refer to VIN Inquiry status to determine which vehicles in your inventory are affected.
Affected vehicles should not be sold until the repair has been completed. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause any injury or damage because of the required recall repair, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify Acura for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem
During manufacturing, a small number of vehicles may have been produced with improperly torqued propeller shaft bolts. An improperly torqued bolt may become loose and eventually fall out. If the propeller shaft becomes unsecured, it may cause damage to the fuel and/or exhaust systems, or come into contact with the road, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Repair
All affected vehicles require inspection of the propeller shaft bolts to determine if they are properly torqued. If the bolts are not properly torqued, they will be tightened to the correct specification. If any bolts are missing, they will require replacement.

Parts Information
A small number of propeller shaft bolts (P/N 90113-S10-000) will be allocated to all dealers with unsold affected units. Additional replacement propeller shaft bolts are available through normal parts ordering. Acura expects that a very small number of affected units (less than 4%, or about 900) will require repair of any kind, and an even smaller number will require bolt replacement.

Service Bulletin
In support of this recall, S/B 13-042 has been posted on ISIS as of November 14, 2013. It includes inspection, repair, parts and warranty information related to this campaign.
Warranty and Repair Information
Warranty, inspection, and repair information is detailed in S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose Or Missing.

Customer Notification
Acura expects to complete customer notification in early December 2013.
As always, make sure to check in VIN Inquiry status to determine if a particular vehicle is eligible for this recall.

Attached is a copy of the technical service bulletin.
Proof that TSB's do show up pretty quickly
Old 11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced

I inquired about this through Acura client relations and my dealer. Both were not aware about this technical service bulletin until I told them to check their inboxes for the latest memos from Acura. Both confirmed that our MDX is one of those affected by this recall.
This is my first experience with a safety recall. I wonder if the service personnel in the dealerships are trained enough to properly do the corrective action in such a short notice. I read the service bulletin and there are specific instructions on how to fix this problem. I just want to make sure that they don't cause any new problems like vibration or rattling (which, based on the bulletin, is possible if they don't follow the instructions). Right now, my MDX is running very smoothly with no perceivable problems. I want to keep it that way. I already have an appointment to address this safety recall this Saturday. I'm quite sure I'll be one of the first (if not the first one) to have this problem fixed. I want it to be fixed as soon as possible as it impacts safety but at the same time I want to make sure that they do the fix properly and not cause any new problems.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
I inquired about this through Acura client relations and my dealer. Both were not aware about this technical service bulletin until I told them to check their inboxes for the latest memos from Acura. Both confirmed that our MDX is one of those affected by this recall.
This is my first experience with a safety recall. I wonder if the service personnel in the dealerships are trained enough to properly do the corrective action in such a short notice. I read the service bulletin and there are specific instructions on how to fix this problem. I just want to make sure that they don't cause any new problems like vibration or rattling (which, based on the bulletin, is possible if they don't follow the instructions). Right now, my MDX is running very smoothly with no perceivable problems. I want to keep it that way. I already have an appointment to address this safety recall this Saturday. I'm quite sure I'll be one of the first (if not the first one) to have this problem fixed. I want it to be fixed as soon as possible as it impacts safety but at the same time I want to make sure that they do the fix properly and not cause any new problems.
What dealer are you going to?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Proof that TSB's do show up pretty quickly
Only if the problem is serious enough to cause bodily harm and/or property damage.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Only if the problem is serious enough to cause bodily harm and/or property damage.
That's what I ve been trying to make people understand, the problem reporting has nothing to do whether its safety related or not, the recalls are. Of course they have to be reported by owners or the manufacturer, but all mechanical defects, whether safety related or not, are tracked. The agency collects and reports all TSB's plus consumer complaints, determines whether its a safety issue and orders recalls accordingly. If I were you I'd consider going on the site and logging in your problem mismatched paint, rattles etc Im pretty sure don't make the cut since no company will order a TSB for a fit and finish issue. However Im sure any issue with the braking or starter system will.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The NHTSA are the same people who logged complaints about amber turn signals at the rear, sanctioned their own investigation, concluded that cars with amber are between 5 and 9% safer with them and then allowed manufactures to remove the amber and install red ones. Only a government agency has enough stupidity to invert sensibilities and facts.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas_TL04 (11-19-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by db22
The NHTSA are the same people who logged complaints about amber turn signals at the rear, sanctioned their own investigation, concluded that cars with amber are between 5 and 9% safer with them and then allowed manufactures to remove the amber and install red ones. Only a government agency has enough stupidity to invert sensibilities and facts.
Not saying they are perfect, but I can assure you that if they made a regulation they at least have some study evidence to backup their claims. Its not like its some fat guy in front of their computer just pulling stuff out of their butt: AKA Rush Limbaughing it LOL.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Not saying they are perfect, but I can assure you that if they made a regulation they at least have some study evidence to backup their claims. Its not like its some fat guy in front of their computer just pulling stuff out of their butt: AKA Rush Limbaughing it LOL.
I am not convinced. The sudden acceleration thing has never been proven as has previously stated, just press on the brake but it didn't stop the NHTSA from going slightly mad.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by db22
I am not convinced. The sudden acceleration thing has never been proven as has previously stated, just press on the brake but it didn't stop the NHTSA from going slightly mad.
They were the ones to disprove it.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
This is an easy fix, re-torqueing of bolts. Just set a time, and have it done.

Easy and onto the next. Happens sometimes.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks OhioMDXer. Have scheduled my repair before I got the mailer. Hopefully the dealer will annotate my file with a "knows his sh!t. Don't try to screw with." . Probably not.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlkdoh
Thanks OhioMDXer. Have scheduled my repair before I got the mailer. Hopefully the dealer will annotate my file with a "knows his sh!t. Don't try to screw with." . Probably not.
Had our MDX checked last Saturday. All the bolts were up to spec. The whole process took about 15 mins. I declined the free car wash!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AND..I remember someone the other day going ON and ON about how there are no recalls, TSB's etc and that the 14 MDX is perfect. How's that crow taste? Another issue with quality.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
AND..I remember someone the other day going ON and ON about how there are no recalls, TSB's etc and that the 14 MDX is perfect. How's that crow taste? Another issue with quality.
And yet, you keep going ON and ON about how bad the 2014 MDX is. It's getting old, don't you think?

You love your 2013. We get it. I had a chance to buy a 2013 Tech for 38K in May but I didn't pull the trigger because to me, it's too sporty, rough, and noisy. But I never bash the 2013 like the way you do with the 2014. Why do you keep making people feel bad about their purchase decisions?

Last edited by hadokenuh; 11-19-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Racer

missing the point ENTIRELY. I've given both praise and more criticism to the 14. Someone else; and we all know who, went on a tirade the other day about how there are no quality issues with the 14 as there would be recalls, TSB's, etc. Yet there have been several owners who have had MANY quality issues with the 14 that he continually dismisses as either people being liars about being owners, or these people have purposely [somehow] sabotaged their vehicles, or were simply lying about quality problems. Manufacturer's do not draw attention to themselves by issuing NHTSA recalls on rattles and $hitty "leather" and ill-fitting panels on their vehicles. As Edward'TLS pointed out, they only do it when they HAVE to because someone could be injured or killed and only THEN do they go into CYA mode. My point is, there ARE many quality problems with this vehicle, documented by both owners, previous owners, now Acura and the NHTSA. Missing or non-tightened bolts is another example of pure sloppiness of the construction and implementation that now plagues 2 of the remaining 14 MDX in my family. Fortunately, mine is gone. Why do you take such offense to truths about the vehicle? It's not like you made it. It's not a personal attack on you or other owners. It's about getting information out to owners and prospective buyers - the entire POINT of a forum and discussion board. Truthfully, I am VERY happy for owners on here who have had ZERO problems and are very happy with their purchase; sincerely. Acura used to be a brand that I completely trusted and never worried about having problems on a purchase. This again goes to my belief they rushed this car to market, designed and built it only in the US, in a brand new plant with American workers.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 11-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
missing the point ENTIRELY. I've given both praise and more criticism to the 14. Someone else; and we all know who, went on a tirade the other day about how there are no quality issues with the 14 as there would be recalls, TSB's, etc. Yet there have been several owners who have had MANY quality issues with the 14 that he continually dismisses as either people being liars about being owners, or these people have purposely [somehow] sabotaged their vehicles, or were simply lying about quality problems. Manufacturer's do not draw attention to themselves by issuing NHTSA recalls on rattles and $hitty "leather" and ill-fitting panels on their vehicles. As Edward'TLS pointed out, they only do it when they HAVE to because someone could be injured or killed and only THEN do they go into CYA mode. My point is, there ARE many quality problems with this vehicle, documented by both owners, previous owners, now Acura and the NHTSA. Missing or non-tightened bolts is another example of pure sloppiness of the construction and implementation that now plagues 2 of the remaining 14 MDX in my family. Fortunately, mine is gone. Why do you take such offense to truths about the vehicle? It's not like you made it. It's not a personal attack on you or other owners. It's about getting information out to owners and prospective buyers - the entire POINT of a forum and discussion board. Truthfully, I am VERY happy for owners on here who have had ZERO problems and are very happy with their purchase; sincerely. Acura used to be a brand that I completely trusted and never worried about having problems on a purchase. This again goes to my belief they rushed this car to market, designed and built it only in the US, in a brand new plant with American workers.
Right. Whatever.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I second this opinion. I have a 14 MDX with the following issues:

- Left window panel trim not lining up properly, causing annoying wind noise where the insulation fluctuates (like a plastic bag)
- Right side squeaky noise, not sure what is causing it yet
- Squeak coming from the motor after it has been running for some time, sounds like a bearing / rapid squeak fluctuating
- Squeak coming from one of the A/C fans
- Brake pedal gets hard and won't depress without my 200lb ass pushing hard on it for remote start. This happens when the vehicle has been left sitting for 12 hours or more.
- Recall on AWD shaft
- Recall on Tow kit

General observations on quality:
- Leather is cheap for a luxury car. My co-workers F-150 has softer, more premium looking leather
- Brakes feel weak and make horrible noises every morning until the car has been "broken in" daily
- Sound system not as good as previous ELS equipped cars I've owned

Now... I've had exactly 2 TSXs, 2 TLs, and a MDX. The latter two sets had much higher quality components, at least subjectively. The TLs never exhibited such issues as interior/exterior trim problems. It's not so luxurious when you're taking your car in the dealer, either waiting hours or dropping it off, to hopefully solve stupid quality issues. I'd have to say that I agree with Vegas on his observations. Luxury buyers pay attention to little details. We stress about not having things like LED tail lights. That's the point of Acura: luxury, not a Honda alternative. Quality is both objective and subjective, and it seems they are starting to slip on both.

Last edited by Swornallegiance; 12-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas_TL04 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Also forgot to mention that the left side wheel well was missing two screws. I noticed this shortly after buying the vehicle because I started to hear a rattle on the left side. After a quick inspection, I went ahead and bought the screws myself online and fixed the problem. It has been the first of many quality problems that make it an embarrassment to own and share with other people.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Swornallegiance
Also forgot to mention that the left side wheel well was missing two screws. I noticed this shortly after buying the vehicle because I started to hear a rattle on the left side. After a quick inspection, I went ahead and bought the screws myself online and fixed the problem. It has been the first of many quality problems that make it an embarrassment to own and share with other people.
WOW! I am really sorry to hear this but not at all surprised. The remaining 2 14 MDX's in my family are still surfacing new problems. The Graphite 14 MDX lives in service, has been there no fewer than 7 times since purchased.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Its interesting to read some posts on how some have had zero issues with their MDX and yet, others seem to have legit quality issues. I am not sure what to make of the new MDX when I see such posts. The RDX has had some quality issues as well but nothing overly serious....What does Acura have in store for the TLX?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Every automaker cranks out "lemons" once in a while, no matter how premium/luxury the automaker is.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Every automaker cranks out "lemons" once in a while, no matter how premium/luxury the automaker is.
I agree. I know it is anecdotal evidence of quality issues also. I'm sure it is not widespread, but it seems like those who are having issues are having similar problems. For example, my buddy's 14 MDX has the same drivers side window seal issue as mine. I think most of us longtime Acura enthusiasts are a little disheartened by the execution of their new vehicles. They are less sporty looking and have questionable material and build choices. For example, the 14 MDX has hard plastic interior door handles. They feel awful to touch. Prior vehicles, like my 2009 TSX, had soft leather/rubber material in there. Those details should matter to Acura, because it hurts customer perception. Even non luxury buyers notice the bean counting.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced

In their pursuit to become more luxurious, they are side stepping instead of moving forward. Most Acura owners wanted more luxury but don't want to give up the sporty, edgy persona of their cars. We want both. Other automakers like Cadillac and BMW are doing it. The TLX better have dual exhaust and look aggressive.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ If the TLX has dual exhaust tips visible....I'll post pictures of my "single exhaust" pipe! *lmao* That is how confident I know Acura will not show any of its exhaust tips....
Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation Seatbelt

Acura says it is recalling 43,000 vehicles in the U.S. to replace both front seat belts.

The car maker owned by Honda Motor Co says that in temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, the seat belts might not release. Acura says no injuries have been reported related to the seat belts.

The recall announced Saturday covers 7,000 2014 RLX and 36,000 2014 and 2015 MDX models.

Acura says it will begin mailing notices to vehicle owners in late October, and they should take their vehicle to an authorized dealer as quickly as possible. Acura says owners can also check if their vehicle is covered by going to recalls.acura.com.