2014 MDX SH-AWD NAVI Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 MDX SH-AWD NAVI Canada

Traded in 2012 TL SH-AWD elite and got 2014 MDX SH-AWD- NAVI (graphite luster metallic on ebony).

Navi package in Canada includes:

•290-hp, 3.5-litre, V6, iVTEC®engine with Variable Cylinder Management®

•Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™(SH-AWD®)

•7-passenger seating

•19" alloy wheels

•Power tailgate and multi-anglerearview camera* with guidelines

•Heated front seats

•Heated steering wheel

•Jewel Eye™ LED headlights

•Leather-Interior

•Acura Navigation System with VoiceRecognition™ and 8" display

•Acura/ELS Surround® 501-wattPremium Audio System with AM/FM/SiriusXM™† tuner, MP3/Windows Media® Audiocompatibility, DTS®, Dolby® Pro Logic™ II and 10 speaker subwoofer

•AcuraLink™ connectivity system

•Blind Spot Information system (BSI)

•Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system

•Hard disk drive (HDD) media storage

•Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system

Drove for three days. So far so good.Will write a review and post some photos later.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wondering did the dealer give you any special lease or finance rates or a markdown on the car.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Hi Acurrat, I am extremely interested in hearing your experience, since I also have a 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite the lease is going to expire soon, so I am looking at various options, including the 2014 MDX.

Specifically, I would really appreciate it if you would comment on the following:

1. Is the handling "softer" and not as crisp as the TL? More or less fun to drive than the TL SH-AWD?

2. How is your fuel economy with the MDX now? Is it comparable to the TL SH-AWD? Or worse?

3. Where are you in Canada? I am here in Calgary - am wondering if your dealer was willing to negotiate, given that the MDX is very new?

4. Is the navi/touch screen as clunky as many people claim? Do you see that the interior is an "upgrade" from the TL SH-AWD Elite?

5. What else did you consider and do you love the MDX? Any regrets?

Thanks for posting and I look forward to hearing from you!
The following users liked this post:
RL06tech (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to the club
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Hi from Toronto. I was not going to write my review so fast. Five days is not enough for it. So, I will just answer your questions.

1. Is the handling "softer" and not as crisp as the TL? More or less fun to drive than the TL SH-AWD? --- It definitely is, especially in a comfort mode but if you chose to drive in a sport mode it becomes less distinctive. It is a crossover after all. Still lots of FUN, much more fun than Infinity QX 60 and this is coming from an Infinity lover. I still think my old G35 was a better drivers`car than the TL.

2. How is your fuel economy with the MDX now? Is it comparable to the TL SH-AWD? Or worse? Better, but not by much in the city(I only use a sport mode). I did not have any highway experience yet.

3. Where are you in Canada? I am here in Calgary - am wondering if your dealer was willing to negotiate, given that the MDX is very new? --- I am from Toronto. My local dealer honoured our 2012 agreement (1.9%).

4. Is the navi/touch screen as clunky as many people claim? Do you see that the interior is an "upgrade" from the TL SH-AWD Elite? Did not find any problem with a touch screen yet, in fact much better than my previous Cadi V8 SRX, and much-much better than TL interface. The interior is also an upgrade to the TL interior.

5. What else did you consider and do you love the MDX? Any regrets? Five days not enough to regret or adore the MDX. I just like it and do not think twice about my decision to move from TL to MDX. I like how there is easy access to the third row and when it is not being used , it folds flat but also it is nice that the second row seats can be adjusted and moved back further to have more leg room. I also put about 3K of accessories. In my eyes it made it better looking car. I added:
1. Running Board.
2. Side doors protector trim.
3. Rear bumper (matching grill) protector.
4. Front bumper (matching grill) protector.
5. Side doors chrome pillars.

So far my MDX has not disappointed me. The acceleration is adequate, ride is smooth, the sets are comfortable and it corners well. You will not regret unless you are a hard core driving fan (then you do need a family transporter
ostrich (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

PS.

Side doors pillars and aluminum pedals are after-market.

http://www.carid.com/2014-acura-mdx-...-15766827.html

Silver 4PCS AT Fuel Brake Pad Foot Pedal Rest Plate Set For Acura MDX : Amazon.com : Automotive Silver 4PCS AT Fuel Brake Pad Foot Pedal Rest Plate Set For Acura MDX : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your fast response, Acurrat! This is very useful information for me and I really appreciate it! IMHO, real life reports are much more useful than those from the motor journalists! :-)

BTW, when you said that acceleration is adequate, is it quite noticeably slower than the TL? I actually don't need a big vehicle like the MDX as the RDX will be the right size for me but I just much prefer the luxurious features of the MDX....

Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Ostrich, I'm driving a 2012 TL-Elite, and has 2 months ago, bought a 2014 MDX-Tech for my wife after she totaled her A6.

So I can share my experience after having driven both.

When compared with the AWD TL, the MDX's handling leaves a lot to be desired, let alone fun to drive. Thanks to the 4300 lbs curb weight, high center of gravity, and weaker 3.5L-V6 engine; the MDX feels sluggish, heavy, and rolls excessively in corners. The brakes don't feel as strong too. In fact, most car magazines have criticized the class-trailing long braking distance for the 2014 MDX.

As for the touch screen control, most buttons such as "Fresh-air/Recirculate", "Heated Seat", etc. have been relocated onto the touch screen. Operating them now is a stupid, cumbersome 2-step touch process instead of one. For example, touching the "Fresh/Recirc" icon once to bring up the "Fresh/Recirc" window, and a 2nd touch to select either the "Fresh" or "Recirc" icon. Why can't the touch icon emulate the function of a real button, such that every touch toggles between the "Fresh" and the "Recirc" modes ?

Getting familiar with all the buttons, controls, and touch functions on the 2014 MDX is a long learning process.

In terms of audio system, even though both the TL and the MDX has the ELS premium audio system, the sub-woofer bass response is particularly weak on the MDX due the open (leaky) trunk design inherited by all SUV's. The bass sounds louder, more solid, and more defined on the TL due to it's optimal sealed trunk design that is necessary for excellent bass generation.

On the positive side, the MDX interior is a lot bigger and spacier, especially the 2nd row floor which is completely flat, without that big center hump as in the AWD TL, and the huge center console storage space underneath the center armrest. It is an excellent choice for a big family.

Also, the new MDX has lots and lots of dazzling gadgets, such as FCW, LDW, BSI, AcuraLink, 1-touch power folding 2nd row seats, folding exterior mirrors, rear entertainment system, Jewel Eye LED headlights, LED foglights, etc., etc.

But to sum it up, if this vehicle is for my own use, I will NEVER (I repeat NEVER) replace a 4G AWD TL with even the latest 2014 AWD MDX, because I consider speed and handling to be my topmost priority.
ostrich (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Ostrich, I'm driving a 2012 TL-Elite, and has 2 months ago, bought a 2014 MDX-Tech for my wife after she totaled her A6.

When compared with the AWD TL, the MDX's handling leaves a lot to be desired, let alone fun to drive. Thanks to the 4300 lbs curb weight, high center of gravity, and weaker 3.5L-V6 engine; the MDX feels sluggish, heavy, and rolls excessively in corners. The brakes don't feel as strong too. In fact, most car magazines have criticized the class-trailing long braking distance for the 2014 MDX.

As for the touch screen control, most buttons such as "Fresh-air/Recirculate", "Heated Seat", etc. have been relocated onto the touch screen. Operating them now is a stupid, cumbersome 2-step touch process instead of one. For example, touching the "Fresh/Recirc" icon once to bring up the "Fresh/Recirc" window, and a 2nd touch to select either the "Fresh" or "Recirc" icon. Why can't the touch icon emulate the function of a real button, such that every touch toggles between the "Fresh" and the "Recirc" modes ?

Getting familiar with all the buttons, controls, and touch functions on the 2014 MDX is a long learning process.

In terms of audio system, even though both the TL and the MDX has the ELS premium audio system, the sub-woofer bass response is particularly weak on the MDX due the open (leaky) trunk design inherited by all SUV's. The bass sounds louder, more solid, and more defined on the TL due to it's optimal sealed trunk design that is necessary for excellent bass generation.

On the positive side, the MDX interior is a lot bigger and spacier, especially the 2nd row floor which is completely flat, without that big center hump as in the AWD TL, and the huge center console storage space underneath the center armrest. It is an excellent choice for a big family.

Also, the new MDX has lots and lots of dazzling gadgets, such as FCW, LDW, BSI, AcuraLink, 1-touch power folding 2nd row seats, folding exterior mirrors, rear entertainment system, Jewel Eye LED headlights, LED foglights, etc., etc.

But to sum it up, if this vehicle is for my own use, I will NEVER (I repeat NEVER) replace a 4G AWD TL with even the latest 2014 AWD MDX, because I consider speed and handling to be my topmost priority.
I agree but its an apple to oranges comparison, there is no way the MDX could be the dynamic equal to the TL, however, for an SUV its actually among the best performing in the class. To get a mid size SUV with better thrust expect to pay at least 25K plus for an 8cylinder the (6 cyl turbo x5 is a draw here). Handling-wise only the X5 offers any competition but at the cost of significant comfort. At present the MDX offers a package of luxury, performance, comfort, tech and price that no one in the market can beat.
I don't think a TL owner switching to an MDX would feel he was slumming it Compared to our previous 2011 ody elite, its a race car
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

Agree that the 3G AWD MDX has better handling performance than most other premium SUV competitors, except the X5 with Dynamic Handling Package; even Acura says that the 3G AWD MDX bests the outgoing 2G AWD MDX in the Nurburgring lap time by 8 secs.

However, even with the above-par handling capability of the 3G MDX in terms of SUV standards, it is still several steps below that capable of the 4G AWD TL.

Moving from a 4G TL to a 3G MDX is never an apple to apple transition, but an apple to orange transition. Thus this apple to orange comparison.

When a member asks of what to expect to move from a 4G AWD TL to a 3G AWD MDX in terms of handling performance, this is it, unfortunately.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Pro

^^^^^

Agree that the 3G AWD MDX has better handling performance than most other premium SUV competitors, except the X5 with Dynamic Handling Package; even Acura says that the 3G AWD MDX bests the outgoing 2G AWD MDX in the Nurburgring lap time by 8 secs.

However, even with the above-par handling capability of the 3G MDX in terms of SUV standards, it is still several steps below that capable of the 4G AWD TL.

Moving from a 4G TL to a 3G MDX is never an apple to apple transition, but an apple to orange transition. Thus this apple to orange comparison.

When a member asks of what to expect to move from a 4G AWD TL to a 3G AWD MDX in terms of handling performance, this is it, unfortunately.
Ive never driven the SHAWD TL I had A 2004 with a stick that was lot of fun to drive (with the right tires since the OEM didn't have even enough traction for the cars toque). The present TL was so ugly in the beginning that I never test drove it, the interior is nice though. I wonder what's in store for the TLX. The weird fact in Acura is that the TL has always been better than the RL.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Thanks so much for your honest opinions! I look forward to test-driving the new MDX in the not too distant future....
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Ostritch, Im from Calgary to. Im looking forward to the new MDX not to soon. Are you planning on getting the base model or NAVI.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by banana13
Ostritch, Im from Calgary to. Im looking forward to the new MDX not to soon. Are you planning on getting the base model or NAVI.
Hey, Banana, I am considering the Navi or Tech package. The Elite package is nice, but it is way too overpriced!!! :-)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Yea same what dealer do.you think is good silverhill or northwest acura . I might wait till next month mabey the lease rates will drop because right.now its 2.9 and who.knows it might be 0.9%. How much do you think you could probably negotiate on the price the car itself.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Drifting

Banana, I have no idea how much one can negotiate for. We shall find out!

Before I got my current vehicle, I went to both Silverhill and Northwest. I felt that the salesperson whom I dealt with in Silverhill was more honest than the one at Northwest, so I went with Silverhill. But that was almost 3 years ago so who knows what they are like now....
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Yea thats nice to know also does anyone know how the led lights on the mdx at at night .
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
2G TLX-S

The LED headlights are brighter and whiter than the HID headlights on my 4G TL.

The LED is definitely better than HID in illuminating the roads during night times.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ostrich
Hey, Banana, I am considering the Navi or Tech package. The Elite package is nice, but it is way too overpriced!!! :-)
I don't think the Elite is overpriced, however, it is expensive Plus in Canada your elite has some goods we lack here including the all around camera, real wood and the headlight washers. Things that I would have gladfully paid a few extra buck for! The tech with nav is the best deal.
On the other hand, if you have the extra money the elites additional goodies are worth the price differential: CMBS (which should be standard in all), LKAS, ACC, auto wipers, heated and vented seats, noticeably nicer leather, rear shades, roof rails and the additional Canadian goodies, plus it includes the rear entertainement system and nav. That's a lot of expensive goodies baked in to a reasonable package price.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Pro

The LED headlights are brighter and whiter than the HID headlights on my 4G TL.

The LED is definitely better than HID in illuminating the roads during night times.
Agreed
The previous model MDX had, if not the best, among the best headlights in the industry, the new LED's are even better. The high beams in the new model are simply awesome. The new models low beams are better than most cars high beams, clever alignment keeps them from glaring oncoming traffic without HID's "stepping" pattern.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ostrich
Banana, I have no idea how much one can negotiate for. We shall find out!

Before I got my current vehicle, I went to both Silverhill and Northwest. I felt that the salesperson whom I dealt with in Silverhill was more honest than the one at Northwest, so I went with Silverhill. But that was almost 3 years ago so who knows what they are like now....
For the first year I wouldn't count on more than a token discount, dealers cant keep them on the lot despite production flying full steam.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Yea thats weird the american MDX doesnt have surround view camera would be an awsone feature for those american buyers out there.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Instructor

In america the cars look really nice when they are clean and they shine but in canada its so hard to.keep them clean in the winter .
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Just womdering would it be cheaper if you bought a car.in america and brought it across the border because you might have to pay taxes.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Which exterior and interior color is the best looking and is easy to clean and to all those owners out there who have parchment leather interior when you wear jeans does the color fade.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Pro

Just womdering would it be cheaper if you bought a car.in america and brought it across the border because you might have to pay taxes.
Unless you live right on the border I wouldnt recommend it canadian dealers dont honor american warranties nor viceversa.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 PM
2G TLX-S

Yea thats weird the american MDX doesnt have surround view camera would be an awsone feature for those american buyers out there.
The "surround view rear camera" could also be made an awesome standalone option even for Canadian non-Elite trim MDX's, too.

For those Canadians who want the "surround view rear cam", they have no other choice but to dish out a hefty $56K Cdn for the top-of-the-line Elite trim model.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Pro

The "surround view rear camera" could also be made an awesome standalone option even for Canadian non-Elite trim MDX's, too.

For those Canadians who want the "surround view rear cam", they have no other choice but to dish out a hefty $56K Cdn for the top-of-the-line Elite trim model.
We cant forget Honda is in the business of making money, Hey!
WIth the new MDX they seem to be adopting some of the evil european ways, some must have options are part of very expensive packages. Plus options are pricey to begin with on our Advanced we still ended up with almost 5K worth of goods and we didnt get a heated steering wheel. Ive always considered them a pretty dumb investment unless you suffer from some sort of vasculitis, particularly since the car has remote start!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Yea true HONDA is very reliable and parts are cheaper to replace than german cars .
Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was going for the navi but cant really denied the urge of other gadgets that include in elite package 16 inch dvd for my kids and the sorround view camera and the lkas alone is enough to convince me on going elite all the way