2014 mdx, infiniti jx35 or buick enclave?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2014 mdx, infiniti jx35 or buick enclave?

I'm ready to buy a new crossover and have it narrowed down to the 2014 mdx, infiniti jx35 or buick enclave. I've driven them all except the new acura. I drove the 2013 acura and it was my favorite but I actually need to use the 3rd row and it just wasn't big enough. The Infiniti and Buick have enough room. I did look at the 2014 MDX and it isn't quite as big in the back but it's passable now. Anyone have any insight for me or driven the new MDX yet? My closest dealer doesn't have any in stock yet but should soon.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
MDX all the way, Infiniti does not hold resale value and well the Enclave is a Buick ;-). The MDX is built better from my Acura/Infiniti experience.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
My votes is for the 3rd gen MDX as it will give you the best performance/fun to drive factor between the 3, great technology and overall value for the $$$.

However If space is one of your top criteria, then go with the Enclave or consider the Acadia. Very tough to beat captains chair seating. If the MDX offered this as an option, there is no question this would be the SUV to get.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
having seen the '14 in person and played in it (couldn't drive it since it was a demo car)...the rear cargo area is deeper than the 2G. you can get your shorter adult friends (or tall friends you dont' like) and kids into the 3rd row a bit easier. one of the sales guys (about 6'1" and lanky) squeezed into the 3rd row and his knees touched the back of teh 2nd row with the 2nd row adjusted all the way fwd. getting in and out of the 3rd row is easier with more space to squeeze through.

i've sat in my 3rd row (2G) before just to see what it was like and i'm 5'7". it was snug but tolerable for short trips if i HAD to sit back there. i can imagine the 3rd row being a bit more roomie than before.

i can imagine the driving dynamics of the SHAWD version to be similar to that of the 2G and maybe even better since the car now sits about an inch lower with a different suspension set up dynamically.

as far as your other choices...i'm not a buick fan. the JX, not fond of the looks and performance reviews of the vehicle do not overly impress me at all (based on this alone it wouldn't make my short list if i was in the market).

another option for space would be a honda pilot.
The following users liked this post:
bforrest (06-20-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
MDX all the way!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
MDX all the way. This one is an all around improvement of of the last gen. Plus it doesn't have a CVT (i'm not to fond of CVTs at the moment).
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Just a different perspective from the Enclave forum.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.ph...;topicseen#new
The following 2 users liked this post by ls973800:
bforrest (06-20-2013), TinyRK (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ls973800

That's fairly minimal input. It's a person looking for a larger vehicle (which the Enclave definitely is). It also drives like a boat compared to the MDX. Buick also has a brand problem that is slowly getting better, but there is a cultural association of the Buick brand with old people (up until the last few years, Buick held the record for the oldest average age of their new-car buyers).

I really do like the new Enclaves, but I think they are just a little too big for my tastes.
Acura_Dude (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

For space and cargo, I'm in agreement that it doesn't get better then the enclave, at least in this SUV segment. However, for every other category, I think the MDX is the clear winner.
Acura_Dude (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyrra
That's fairly minimal input. It's a person looking for a larger vehicle (which the Enclave definitely is). It also drives like a boat compared to the MDX. Buick also has a brand problem that is slowly getting better, but there is a cultural association of the Buick brand with old people (up until the last few years, Buick held the record for the oldest average age of their new-car buyers).

I really do like the new Enclaves, but I think they are just a little too big for my tastes.
There are two other siblings of the Buick which drive differently and do not have the cultural association of the Buick brand. Those would be the GMC Acadia and the Chevrolet Traverse.

We owned a Traverse LTZ prior to the MDX. We traded for the MDX because we didn't need as large of a vehicle as the Traverse. If we had children at home, the choice would have been different, opting for the extra room.

The dependability of the MDX is also one additional reason it was our first non GM or Ford product in over 45 years of driving. It looks like GM is finally doing things better but can they continue the trend? Acura tied for 6th for the second year in a row. The survey is based on 90 days of ownership and initial quality. We feel the long term reliability of the Acura was a consideration in our purchase.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...irst-time.html
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Given my sportier driving tendencies, the only other option for me (aside from my 12 Tech) would have been an X5, Cayenne or ML. Presumably the 2014 is an extension of the dynamics found in the 2G MDX.

I like the JX a lot but I'm still disappointed that Nissan didn't opt for the FX37's powertrain over that of the Murano's. (I do understand the rationale for said decision though). That said, the fit and finish I find to be nicer than my MDX as well as the 2014 MDX as I recall from the NYIAS.

We did try out the Enclave prior to our MDX purchase but it simply wasn't sporty enough for me. I do feel that it is well built and found it to be a great minivan alternative. If Buick can add a little more sport to the mix, then they'll have a real winner in this segment.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 PM
5th Gear

Has anyone considered the Durango?

I test drove an advance today and really liked it except for the fact that the third row is still too small for me and cargo space is pretty tight with the third row up.

I eliminated the JX and the enclave for many of the same reasons already stated but am looking forward to testing the 14' Durango and the 14'X5. MDX is a serious contender for me but the third row is giving me second thoughts...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 PM
David_Dude

^ at the user name.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

There are two other siblings of the Buick which drive differently and do not have the cultural association of the Buick brand. Those would be the GMC Acadia and the Chevrolet Traverse.

We owned a Traverse LTZ prior to the MDX. We traded for the MDX because we didn't need as large of a vehicle as the Traverse. If we had children at home, the choice would have been different, opting for the extra room.

The dependability of the MDX is also one additional reason it was our first non GM or Ford product in over 45 years of driving. It looks like GM is finally doing things better but can they continue the trend? Acura tied for 6th for the second year in a row. The survey is based on 90 days of ownership and initial quality. We feel the long term reliability of the Acura was a consideration in our purchase.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...irst-time.html
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. That Bloomberg article is fairly hard to follow, I like tables of data! Here's the source of it:
http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...lity-study.htm
And another:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

Ya, I really like the interior of the Buick Enclave. The handling of the car was definitely one of the main points both my wife and I had against it. If it was just the exterior body style that we didn't like, we would probably get the thing, but we both want something with a bit more sporty drive.
bforrest (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I have driven the Enclave and it handles fine. It's sluggish which is to be expected for 5,000lb vehicle. I like the outside but find the inside to be just a slight step down in materials compared to the MDX and JX35. I also hate that you have to look as far down for the NAV and entertainment screen and that it's 6.5 inches vs. 8. I've driven the JX35 and it's a little livelier than the Buick probably because it's 500lbs lighter despite the reduced horsepower. The interior is impeccable and I've already gotten an internet quote on one MSRP $57,335 for $51,116 plus tax and title. I haven't even counter offered yet. I actually lean towards the JX35 at this point because I can get all the goodies I want (heated AND cooled seats, all the electronic safety features) for the price of an MDX with tech. I would like the Advance but pretty sure there won't be any big discounts. The one BIG advantage the MDX has is probably the driving experience which is pretty important to me. I haven't driven it yet but can clearly see it influencing me to buy it over the others based on reviews. I'll have to experience it myself in the next couple weeks.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I am by no strecth of the imagination and I am going to take it for test drive because I am greatly impressed! Other than a Cayenne I don't see another SUV that tantalizes my desire to drive or possibly own.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

I have the 2nd gen MDX and love it.. but having 2 kids, and having to remove the baby car seats every time I need to utilize the back row just aggravates me. Acura kind of fixed that with second row slide out chairs.. but if you check out the new Nissan pathfinder, or the infiniti, even with baby sets, you can access the back seats quite easily.

I hate cvt transmissions, and both the Jx35 and the pathfinder has it. The interior is actually quite nice in the nissan and infiniti, but the best thing I like about them is their technology.. especially their around view/birds eye view camera system, and the auto braking while reversing if an object is behind the car.

At the end of the day, its every day utility that will sway people to their respective cars. I am liking the pathfinder a lot, they have the utility I need, and even their entertainment system is updated with dual screens, instead of a big one in the middle, which blocks view... and the kids love the panoramic roof (had in in my old bmw x3).

I won't be changing my MDX till 2017.. hopefully by then acura, infiniti and nissan will have stepped up their game even more.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
David_Dude

I like the new Pathfinder/JX as well, but there's been some CVT issues with the Pathfinder. Not sure if it affects the JX as well (haven't ready any on it yet), but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by khundkar
I have the 2nd gen MDX and love it.. but having 2 kids, and having to remove the baby car seats every time I need to utilize the back row just aggravates me. Acura kind of fixed that with second row slide out chairs.. but if you check out the new Nissan pathfinder, or the infiniti, even with baby sets, you can access the back seats quite easily.
This is why during my 2014 MDX test drive, I put my Chicco Keyfit 30 rear facing infant car seat in the second row middle, and my Britax Pavilion G3 rear facing convertible car seat in the second row driver's side to see if they fit. Thankfully they do!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
DO noT buy the buick. I traded my 08 mdx for acadia denali 2 years ago. Basically same suv as buick. Interiors r identical. pOs. regret it from day 1. Traded it in 12 months later for 11 mdx. Mdx handles better and much bettr gas milage. Traded
My 11 mdx in for 14' last week. It avg 22 mpg overall. The buick will get 13 mpg if ur lucky.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bforrest
I'm ready to buy a new crossover and have it narrowed down to the 2014 mdx, infiniti jx35 or buick enclave. I've driven them all except the new acura. I drove the 2013 acura and it was my favorite but I actually need to use the 3rd row and it just wasn't big enough. The Infiniti and Buick have enough room. I did look at the 2014 MDX and it isn't quite as big in the back but it's passable now. Anyone have any insight for me or driven the new MDX yet? My closest dealer doesn't have any in stock yet but should soon.
Is this a real question? A Buick or a JX, really? If you are 75 or blind, I guess one of these two "might" make sense
Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
This is why during my 2014 MDX test drive, I put my Chicco Keyfit 30 rear facing infant car seat in the second row middle, and my Britax Pavilion G3 rear facing convertible car seat in the second row driver's side to see if they fit. Thankfully they do!
How well did the push button seat slide work? We're you able to access the 3rd row with the seats anchored in?

I know it works really well in the JX, but because the seat back folds over on the MDX I wasn't so sure how easy it was to get in and out of the 3rd row with the car seats anchored in.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
How well did the push button seat slide work? We're you able to access the 3rd row with the seats anchored in?

I know it works really well in the JX, but because the seat back folds over on the MDX I wasn't so sure how easy it was to get in and out of the 3rd row with the car seats anchored in.
That is unique to the JX. When a child seat in the MDX, you cannot get in on that side. So you still need access to the 3rd row with a child seat you will have to use the other side. If you have 2 children seats you'll need to put one on the passenger side and the other in the middle seat.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyrra
That is unique to the JX. When a child seat in the MDX, you cannot get in on that side. So you still need access to the 3rd row with a child seat you will have to use the other side. If you have 2 children seats you'll need to put one on the passenger side and the other in the middle seat.
Correction -- one on the driver's side, and one in the middle. Then the passenger side 40% seat can freely slide forward for access to the third row. Yes, in my case, with the two seats positioned as described, I was able to access the third row.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I almost bought the Acadia. I am happy I didn't every time I drive my MDX. The GM car may have more bells and whistles (not many) standard, but as far as driving experience, it is not close. Not even a little bit.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Is this a real question? A Buick or a JX, really? If you are 75 or blind, I guess one of these two "might" make sense
Could b funniest post i e seen in a while. The buick is horrible looking. It screams AARP
Gen4MDX (07-01-2013)