2014 MDX is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
For those of you that haven't see the official brochure: http://www.acura.com/content/brochure/MDX.pdf

You can also have this delivered by mail. Some cool shots - that front/rear optional bumper trim really makes the car stand out!
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^Thanks! Those jewel eye headlights are amazing. I wish I could see them in person. I'm pretty sure this will remain Acura's best seller and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't outsell the previous generation MDX.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
For those of you that haven't see the official brochure: http://www.acura.com/content/brochure/MDX.pdf

You can also have this delivered by mail. Some cool shots - that front/rear optional bumper trim really makes the car stand out!
Thank you! I really like the Forest Mist Metallic colour! Fathom Blue Pearl is beautiful too. I think these are my two favourite colours.

Then the dark brown eucalyptus leather looks quite lux to me.... :-)

I wonder why all of these test drives and reviews so far have not shown off these two wonderful exterior colours?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by ostrich
Thank you! I really like the Forest Mist Metallic colour! Fathom Blue Pearl is beautiful too. I think these are my two favourite colours.

Then the dark brown eucalyptus leather looks quite lux to me.... :-)

I wonder why all of these test drives and reviews so far have not shown off these two wonderful exterior colours?
Where do you see dark brown? Eucalyptus looks like a darker grey to me

The closest thing to brown that Acura has is Umber which they offer on the outgoing MDX. I think the color options are really limited and I'm really not impressed with the choices. Must be saving it for the MMC.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Where do you see dark brown? Eucalyptus looks like a darker grey to me

The closest thing to brown that Acura has is Umber which they offer on the outgoing MDX. I think the color options are really limited and I'm really not impressed with the choices. Must be saving it for the MMC.
on the last page of the brochure are the color samples for the MDX. the eucalyptus looks more dark brown. on the acura website it looked more dark gray. no sure which one is really accurate. i liked the dark gray though if that is what eucalyptus really is. not so sure about the dark brown if that's what it turns out to be...maybe it looks better in person.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

^^^ Good catch! I missed that! Very misleading on acura's part!

I do like the dark brown, but wish they offered it on more external colors. Looks like its only available on WDP and this new forest mist metalic which looks like a green/grey blend to me...
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
on the last page of the brochure are the color samples for the MDX. the eucalyptus looks more dark brown. on the acura website it looked more dark gray. no sure which one is really accurate. i liked the dark gray though if that is what eucalyptus really is. not so sure about the dark brown if that's what it turns out to be...maybe it looks better in person.
Eucalyptus shows up correctly on the Build Your Own feature, and is a green-gray color. Take medium gray and inject a bit of green, and you have it. Nothing brown about it.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by beach109
Eucalyptus shows up correctly on the Build Your Own feature, and is a green-gray color. Take medium gray and inject a bit of green, and you have it. Nothing brown about it.
So what is the brown swatch on the last page of the official brochure? a mistake?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://color.wikia.com/wiki/Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus color should be darker green, not darker brown. I deposited on a White/Eucalyptus and will see this one in the next week. Things will be cleared soon

I don't know why Acura limited the combinations of the exterior and interior colors. I wanted White/Graystone.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ok, just saw the cali tester at my dealer today (it arrived today), so i was in for a nice bonus on my visit. they also had all the competitors cars in the showroom as well to compare them (MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi).

it's nice in person. the tester is SHAWD with ADvance and ENT. I like the headlights. the body lines are very much streamlined compared to the 2G muscle. the rear cargo area is deeper, the car sits lower as we know so now it looks less like an SUV and more like an oversized wagon of sorts. the dash layout is pretty much what is seen in the RLX. seating is quite comfortable. you can't put your super tall friends in the 2nd or 3rd row (6'4" or taller), but for the rest of us avg folks we can fit in the 2nd row fine. you smaller or shorter friends can get into the 3rd row. the opening in the rear is narrower (yes, we know this). and for those wondering where the sub is in the back...i think it's in the same spot as the 2G but no grill. there are LEDs for all dome lights and license plate lights. puddle lights and rear hatch lights no.

my dealer does not have brochures yet. the funny thing is i actually know more about the car than a lot of the sales guys do.

the 3G MDX will sell. most people aren't quite as particular as we are since we're all enthusiasts. overall, it's a very nice car and will be a hit.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
Acura_Dude (06-12-2013), RDXinNETX (06-12-2013), Rocket_man (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
ok, just saw the cali tester at my dealer today (it arrived today), so i was in for a nice bonus on my visit. they also had all the competitors cars in the showroom as well to compare them (MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi).

it's nice in person. the tester is SHAWD with ADvance and ENT. I like the headlights. the body lines are very much streamlined compared to the 2G muscle. the rear cargo area is deeper, the car sits lower as we know so now it looks less like an SUV and more like an oversized wagon of sorts. the dash layout is pretty much what is seen in the RLX. seating is quite comfortable. you can't put your super tall friends in the 2nd or 3rd row (6'4" or taller), but for the rest of us avg folks we can fit in the 2nd row fine. you smaller or shorter friends can get into the 3rd row. the opening in the rear is narrower (yes, we know this). and for those wondering where the sub is in the back...i think it's in the same spot as the 2G but no grill. there are LEDs for all dome lights and license plate lights. puddle lights and rear hatch lights no.

my dealer does not have brochures yet. the funny thing is i actually know more about the car than a lot of the sales guys do.

the 3G MDX will sell. most people aren't quite as particular as we are since we're all enthusiasts. overall, it's a very nice car and will be a hit.
Good analysis, just a question since I have not seen one in person. Does it seem to look more mini-vanish then SUV compared to the last generation? I hate mini-vans, guess its the guy thing? Love to here your opinion on the "look"
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Did anyone notice that the images on pages 2/3, 13/14 and 16/17 are the same photo?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Makes me question whether or not SH-AWD is really worth the 2 Grand upcharge. Would love to see a FWD vs. SH-AWD performance comparison.

Also, does the FWD MDX have PAWS like the FWD RLX?

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 06-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
Good analysis, just a question since I have not seen one in person. Does it seem to look more mini-vanish then SUV compared to the last generation? I hate mini-vans, guess its the guy thing? Love to here your opinion on the "look"
i wouldn't say it looks minivan-ish looks like a big wagon leaning towards a crossover look over a traditional SUV look like the 2G. it kind of reminds me of an outback or a forester except bigger. i'd say it looks like the big brother of the RDX. next to the JX, the JX looks a little more minvan-ish with that grill (). the MB is more of a box and sits taller. the lexus...well it's smaller as a 5 seater (i hate where the shifter is and i'm not a fan of the interior dash layout). the Q7 is too rounded for me and makes it look huge compared to the MDX. the X5 is more square like the MB.

it seems the MDX sits a tad lower than the rest visually. i know it's an inch shorter, but it seems more dramatic than that compared to the 2G. the front end of the car (hood forward) is shorter than the 2G. i'm not fond of the plastic part of the lower rear bumper...kinda cheap.

you wanna talk about buttons? MB and Audi...geez....the ergonomics in the audi (location of buttons and controls) IIRC the ONLY car that had a covered cup holder was the JX. i was told that the Audi was also about 1000lbs heavier than the MDX. talk about tank! i'm hoping the next time i pop back in there i might be able to get a test drive in (in 3 weeks-MDX due for maintenance; the TL was in this go around for a state check up).
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Did anyone notice that the images on pages 2/3, 13/14 and 16/17 are the same photo?
True! Just noticed it
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Going to be a while longer until anyone sees one, but I see the vin # to our first AWD Tech in transit now which is a good sign.

June will be hard to find any MDX month, especially 2013's.
Is there any way to find out if they are producing it in forest mist yet ?? Or this color will be for later on? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by alkus77
Is there any way to find out if they are producing it in forest mist yet ?? Or this color will be for later on? Thanks in advance!
AFAIK they run certain batches in a row to avoid "changeovers".
Means, 1 week they run just whites, the next only blacks, etc...

So depending on when they started production, they might have a batch in that color already if they offer it on their config website.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by printf
Eucalyptus color should be darker green, not darker brown.
It is a bit confusing comparing the e-brochure vs the website color. Personally, I wish it was the dark brown - love the choco leather in the Bimmers.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX In Perrson

I was able to check out the 14 MDX at my local dealership today. I was not able to test drive but saw the entire car, inside and out. Very impressed with the vehicle, just cant wait to drive it.

I am going to put a deposit down on a advance sh-awd. I am assuming that no discounting will be done on a new car. The dealer I spoke with didnt even know the price of the car but did say there was one on order with no delivery date.

I am thinking about getting the fog lights, wheel locks and heated steering wheel. Are these worth it?

Since I am trading in a vehicle, how does it work when you are going to order one and pay full price? I assume, trying to work out a price prior to giving the deposit?

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlenz
I was able to check out the 14 MDX at my local dealership today. I was not able to test drive but saw the entire car, inside and out. Very impressed with the vehicle, just cant wait to drive it.

I am going to put a deposit down on a advance sh-awd. I am assuming that no discounting will be done on a new car. The dealer I spoke with didnt even know the price of the car but did say there was one on order with no delivery date.

I am thinking about getting the fog lights, wheel locks and heated steering wheel. Are these worth it?

Since I am trading in a vehicle, how does it work when you are going to order one and pay full price? I assume, trying to work out a price prior to giving the deposit?

Thanks, Jim
LMAO. All I can say is why? Why? Why? This is not a limited production vehicle. Why would you want to pay sticker?? Take your trade to Carmax get an offer. Look at what the best % off deal people are getting on say the RDX. Also contact the largest Acura dealers within xxx miles internet price cash no trade. Now take the figure you want to pay along with what Carmax will buy your trade for and ask the dealer if he will give you that deal on an ordered car? Tell him if he won't you will sell your trade to Carmax and take xyz acura dealers Internet sales mgr,s offer.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

LMAO. All I can say is why? Why? Why? This is not a limited production vehicle. Why would you want to pay sticker?? Take your trade to Carmax get an offer. Look at what the best % off deal people are getting on say the RDX. Also contact the largest Acura dealers within xxx miles internet price cash no trade. Now take the figure you want to pay along with what Carmax will buy your trade for and ask the dealer if he will give you that deal on an ordered car? Tell him if he won't you will sell your trade to Carmax and take xyz acura dealers Internet sales mgr,s offer.
^^^ THIS!! I just went through this EXACT same scenario on my M37 a few months ago! Don't just make assumptions out of the gate on pricing. You'd be surprised what you can pull off with a little effort.
Pitbull11 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimlenz

Thanks, Jim
I'm in a similar situation. I deposited on a AWD-Advance model. But, I'm going to deal for any discount. Otherwise, I would go with Tech package.

I don't think one can easily deal for MDX 2014 Base/Tech packages at this moment, unless you can wait until the end of this year.

In my area (San Jose, CA), there are 4 dealerships, and contacting two dealerships. Others don't show great interests unless putting a deposit.

I think MDX 2014 has at least pretty good demand. Please share your experiences on dealing MDX 2014.

(The problem is that I need a new car before August...)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not fiscally smart to buy or lease car as soon as it comes out, as stated before the car has "buzz" and the dealers will capitalize on that to get premium price. If you can wait and not be the first one on the block with one, in time the buyer will have leverage.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsmooth33
It's not fiscally smart to buy or lease car as soon as it comes out, as stated before the car has "buzz" and the dealers will capitalize on that to get premium price. If you can wait and not be the first one on the block with one, in time the buyer will have leverage.
You are probably right and if I wait a few months I may be able to get a grand or so off.

They are asking for me to complete a buyers order and deposit via check. Did others deposit via check or credit card?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
In many states, if you trade your car in on a new one, the value of the used car can be applied towards the total tax due on the new one, therefore saving some additional money.

Several weeks ago I was interested in a new truck. I received several similar offers for my trade in from two dealers, and a similar value from CarMax all right at $35000.00

Here in Texas, if I traded the car in with the new car dealer, I would save an additional $2188.00 of taxes not having to be paid on the new vehicle (6.25 %). If I sold it to CarMax and then bought the new truck, I would not get the tax savings and would have to pay the full tax amount on the new one.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Less than a week before the official release date (June 20, 2013), and my dealer still has no demo units yet. Anyone here who was able to test drive the new MDX yet? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by ls973800
In many states, if you trade your car in on a new one, the value of the used car can be applied towards the total tax due on the new one, therefore saving some additional money.

Several weeks ago I was interested in a new truck. I received several similar offers for my trade in from two dealers, and a similar value from CarMax all right at $35000.00

Here in Texas, if I traded the car in with the new car dealer, I would save an additional $2188.00 of taxes not having to be paid on the new vehicle (6.25 %). If I sold it to CarMax and then bought the new truck, I would not get the tax savings and would have to pay the full tax amount on the new one.
I was in a similar situation a few months back. Was trading in a 07 Camry and the dealer initially quoted me $6500. I then went across the street and got a quote from Carmax for $8000. I took that quote back to the dealer and asked if they would match it and they did. By doing so, i was able to save a good chunk of cash in taxes.

If you have a Carmax close to you, I would strongly recommend getting a quote to use as negotiation. If you can get more from the dealer, even better! The process only takes 20 min and costs nothing with zero commitments.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
Less than a week before the official release date (June 20, 2013), and my dealer still has no demo units yet. Anyone here who was able to test drive the new MDX yet? Thanks!
Me neither. But, should be available sometimes in the next week.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced

I was in a similar situation a few months back. Was trading in a 07 Camry and the dealer initially quoted me $6500. I then went across the street and got a quote from Carmax for $8000. I took that quote back to the dealer and asked if they would match it and they did. By doing so, i was able to save a good chunk of cash in taxes.

If you have a Carmax close to you, I would strongly recommend getting a quote to use as negotiation. If you can get more from the dealer, even better! The process only takes 20 min and costs nothing with zero commitments.
Just one my thought. I still believe trading in a car to a private party is better. If the dealership quotes 10% less than the private party, then you still lose even if considering tax. I'm gonna trade in Accord, but Accord is very easy to sell privately.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i wonder how popular will the FWD version be. to me, it's a too big a vehicle to not have AWD. i'm totally fine with FWD RDX if i like in a warm weather state, which i am.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
i wonder how popular will the FWD version be. to me, it's a too big a vehicle to not have AWD. i'm totally fine with FWD RDX if i like in a warm weather state, which i am.
I'll predict in our market (another warm climate), 10-1 in favor of FWD.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I'll predict in our market (another warm climate), 10-1 in favor of FWD.
I'd guess the same for my market (Texas). Looking at the inventory of the Lexus RX and Hyundai Santa Fe for nearby dealers, they mainly stock the FWD models. I'd assume Acura will do the same thing.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

I'd like to see a performance comparison between FWD vs SH-AWD. I don't really have a huge need for AWD where I'm located. Weather in Dallas-Fort Worth is pretty good except for a few rare ice/snow storms. I should be able to manage just fine with FWD.

I'm leaning towards the FWD variant just to keep costs down but i'd like to see/understand how much handling and performance i'm giving up by doing so. Also, for others in the south, just curious if AWD is important to you and If so, please tell me why?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
I ran an example of the most common configuration, AWD Tech, and in my northeast region there are some Forest Mist versions in transit at the moment. So production is rolling, yes.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
I'd like to see a performance comparison between FWD vs SH-AWD. I don't really have a huge need for AWD where I'm located. Weather in Dallas-Fort Worth is pretty good except for a few rare ice/snow storms. I should be able to manage just fine with FWD.

I'm leaning towards the FWD variant just to keep costs down but i'd like to see/understand how much handling and performance i'm giving up by doing so. Also, for others in the south, just curious if AWD is important to you and If so, please tell me why?
I don't think there would be much of a difference.

FWD would be quicker in straight line acceleration and identical in some of the the corners since both SH-AWD and FWD MDX's have IDS (Integrated Dynamics System) and AHA (Agile Handling Assist). SH-AWD would be maybe slightly quicker off-the line and definitely quicker in certain conditions, but after the launch (if your torque boosting-Holding your foot on both brake and gas) the FWD MDX might be able to catch up since it doesn't have the weight from SH-AWD.

Most people wont push SH-AWD like your supposed to in the corners to get its full benefit and the AHA and IDS systems would help out a lot on the turn in response and feel so you wouldn't even need to feel to push the MDX through.

I would still buy the SH-AWD since most people wont and I personally would like to own it and be able to mess around when it snows, give the rare Q5 or X5 a run off the line and for light off-road/ beach use. Plus I want to see Acura keep the system available to us.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Instructor

I ran an example of the most common configuration, AWD Tech, and in my northeast region there are some Forest Mist versions in transit at the moment. So production is rolling, yes.
Thanks, can't wait to get mine !!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timmy18
I don't think there would be much of a difference.

FWD would be quicker in straight line acceleration and identical in some of the the corners since both SH-AWD and FWD MDX's have IDS (Integrated Dynamics System) and AHA (Agile Handling Assist). SH-AWD would be maybe slightly quicker off-the line and definitely quicker in certain conditions, but after the launch (if your torque boosting-Holding your foot on both brake and gas) the FWD MDX might be able to catch up since it doesn't have the weight from SH-AWD.

Most people wont push SH-AWD like your supposed to in the corners to get its full benefit and the AHA and IDS systems would help out a lot on the turn in response and feel so you wouldn't even need to feel to push the MDX through.

I would still buy the SH-AWD since most people wont and I personally would like to own it and be able to mess around when it snows, give the rare Q5 or X5 a run off the line and for light off-road/ beach use. Plus I want to see Acura keep the system available to us.

I believe I never pushed the mdx to really use the sh awd, until last week on a really muddled area and I can tell you after I saw what that super handling can do I want it on my new mdx too!!::
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ls973800
printf said Obviously they don't do any discount (not surprising), but not sure whether I can do small discount on some accessory (I will install rear parking sensor).

I was looking on the Acura website over the weekend and see that the rear parking sensors are not included with the Tech model. It is once again an accessory with a price of around $526.00! That does not include dealer installation either! The sensors are $263.00 and an attachment kit is also needed at $263.00 according to the Acura 2014 prices shown on the website.

A HUGE FAILURE in my opinion by Acura of not installing these as standard on all of the MDX line and also of the outrageous accessory price of this item. I think in the past others have mentioned around $400.00 for dealer install!
I totally agree with you and correct me if i am wrong but if you buy the parking sensors they are only for the back and not the front, i don't see anywhere on the website that you can buy parking sensors for the front. I also don't like that you still have to pay subscription to XM for traffic updates, i own a 2012 CRV and traffic updates are FREE!!, i am considering this SUV but don't know if i should wait.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

I believe I never pushed the mdx to really use the sh awd, until last week on a really muddled area and I can tell you after I saw what that super handling can do I want it on my new mdx too!!::
From the sounds of things, SH-AWD really only kicks in during really hard cornering and has no play in normal day-to-day driving. Are you sure this is what got you through that muddled area?

While still a very nice option, the more I hear about SH-AWD, the more I'm convinced that its not all that neccessary on a family hauler like the MDX. Perhaps if I was buying a car thats really engineered for performance like the NSX/TL(X) or if lived in area where it snows, I may reconsider.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
From the sounds of things, SH-AWD really only kicks in during really hard cornering and has no play in normal day-to-day driving.
I'm pretty sure SH-AWD works on light acceleration from a a stop as well.

I think it 70(F)-30(R)% torque distribution till about 25 MPH depending on if the road is on a grade or in slick conditions or if your slowly pushing the pedal down further as you lightly accelerate. After your 'up and moving' it quickly fades the rear out and your FWD till a corner comes in where it might wake up some. Just look at the SH-AWD display.
TiggaMan909 (06-17-2013)

Quick Reply: 2014 MDX is here!