2014 MDX Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kevsmbox
Anyone have any experience with the trailer hitch install? Not sure if the new bumper trim is included or not but it looks fairly straight forward. Dealer here is way over priced on the install.

Part: 08L92-TZ5-200

http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...4069&dl=251451
$10 to install the floormats!!?? I really wonder how many people fall for this!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
$10 to install the floormats!!?? I really wonder how many people fall for this!
http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...2014&dl=251451

By the way, the prices in the above are just crazy! More expensive that the prices shown in Acura.com. WT??

For example, the seat cover is listed as $275, and the eStore has $385. And... the installation costs another $30. Is it a medical bill?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah the deal tried to get me to get my accessories when I got the MDX, I said no thank you will buy them later lol
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
For those who have had accessories installed like back-up sensors by the dealer, how great is the quality of their work? Is everything working like if those were factory installed? I'm having concerns regarding this even after my dealer assured me that everything will be great.
I was looking to get the Advance Model which I ordered 2 weeks ago but up to now my dealer still does not have any updates on my order. He told me that a tech/ent package in forest mist/eucalyptus (wife's preferred color combo) will be delivered next week and he asked me if I want that instead. I'm thinking about getting it and just have the remote start, backup sensors, and roof rails, and other accessories installed but I want to make sure first that everything will be done correctly. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Stay on them...I am happy I went with the advance really cut down on the accessories that I would have to install. I told the dealer what I wanted and they got on the phone and had a Vin(at the port) for me within an hour and the car was there the next evening.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has real world pictures of the sport running boards? And if its something that we can install on our own.
Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
For those who have had accessories installed like back-up sensors by the dealer, how great is the quality of their work? Is everything working like if those were factory installed? I'm having concerns regarding this even after my dealer assured me that everything will be great.
I was looking to get the Advance Model which I ordered 2 weeks ago but up to now my dealer still does not have any updates on my order. He told me that a tech/ent package in forest mist/eucalyptus (wife's preferred color combo) will be delivered next week and he asked me if I want that instead. I'm thinking about getting it and just have the remote start, backup sensors, and roof rails, and other accessories installed but I want to make sure first that everything will be done correctly. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
What is more important in Advance is LKAS + AAC. I love these features especially on highway. If you really don't need LKAS + AAC, it'd be okay to go with Tech with accessories.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by printf
What is more important in Advance is LKAS + AAC. I love these features especially on highway. If you really don't need LKAS + AAC, it'd be okay to go with Tech with accessories.
LOL! It's cool to see what pushes everyone to decide Tech vs ADV. :-D For me after having the blind spot notification and ventilated seats in my 2012 TL these were the two I 'couldn't live without.' If the MDX would have had the Ventilated seats in the Tech Package I would have gone with that...maybe! However, I am very happy to have gone Advanced. LIke you the LKAS + AAC is an outstanding feature. The HDMI input plus 110 volt power adapter for my Xbox is also cool.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Most of the time dealer installation should be fine. For the Advance or Tech/Ent package, if you need those features that Advance package offer then go with it otherwise get the Tech/Ent and save $6,000 plus you can negotiate for additional discount or free accessories since the dealer know that it's not your first choice.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
There is no difference in install, and the best part of having them ordered or completed at time of delivery is that every item will get the same full 4-year/50,000-mile warranty as the rest of the car and registered to it.

It will be very difficult to get a 2014 Advance model in anything other than white for a while. If you don't mind the smaller DVD screen, lack of adaptive cruise and non-cooled seats, the Tech or Tech/Ent with accessories is a GREAT package to build with.
The following users liked this post:
OhioMDXer (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beach109
It will be very difficult to get a 2014 Advance model in anything other than white for a while.
This is true. I wanted a red Adv and my dealer found just one already on order with another dealer and did a port swap for me. Hope to get it by late July. I may be getting the first red one in the PA, NJ, NY, CT area.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My local dealer said I can get a Black/Ebony Advance mid-August ...
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There is no difference in install, and the best part of having them ordered or completed at time of delivery is that every item will get the same full 4-year/50,000-mile warranty as the rest of the car and registered to it.

It will be very difficult to get a 2014 Advance model in anything other than white for a while. If you don't mind the smaller DVD screen, lack of adaptive cruise and non-cooled seats, the Tech or Tech/Ent with accessories is a GREAT package to build with.
True, I ordered 2 months ago the advance AWD, GN/GN , forest mist , eucalyptus, it would arrive only in August , decided to change the color to gray , got worst, they told me only in October if I change my order now. Change my mind and got the only white advance AWD they had , and I am very happy with the color ! I live in FL so doesn't get that hot and I am the only one in mine town who has one
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks beach109!
My wife and I couldn't wait for our originally ordered Advance trim in Forest Mist/Eucalyptus color combo so this afternoon, we finalized our purchase of a Tech/Ent trim in the same color combo that is already in transit. ETA is July 13. We also ordered a bunch of accessories (including front and rear bumper trim, remote start, backup sensors, running boards, roof rails, rear bumper protector, body side moldings, and splash guards) and we're just crossing our fingers that they install all of them properly. I emphasized this to my sales agent and I'm hoping that he "got" the message.
As you may have read in the other thread, TLbullet had a problem with the installation of the front bumper trim on his MDX. I hope that they fix the problem for him asap and that this is just an isolated event.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Racer

Thanks beach109!
My wife and I couldn't wait for our originally ordered Advance trim in Forest Mist/Eucalyptus color combo so this afternoon, we finalized our purchase of a Tech/Ent trim in the same color combo that is already in transit. ETA is July 13. We also ordered a bunch of accessories (including front and rear bumper trim, remote start, backup sensors, running boards, roof rails, rear bumper protector, body side moldings, and splash guards) and we're just crossing our fingers that they install all of them properly. I emphasized this to my sales agent and I'm hoping that he "got" the message.
As you may have read in the other thread, TLbullet had a problem with the installation of the front bumper trim on his MDX. I hope that they fix the problem for him asap and that this is just an isolated event.
Great choice!

One of my clients on-order build dates for a 2014 Adv/Ent in black/ebony just moved back later again, from 7/27 to 8/8. At this point of waiting for more Advances, the Tech/Ent with more options is an awesome choice.

I took a few pictures late today of our sold Adv/Ent with Advance Boards, Splash Guards and Body Side Molding added.

Name:  IMG_7658_zpsa5d87b74.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  137.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0441_zpsf3f68538.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  84.7 KB
Name:  IMG_6988_zps4c3ea67e.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  90.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3289_zpscba5d857.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  76.3 KB

The same for one of our in stock Tech models with the Sport Steps. I like the look of the Advance boards but the functionality of the Sport Steps more, that don't get in the way.

Name:  IMG_4145_zpsaa3d9495.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  107.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5977_zpsbee2bbd6.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0645_zps0a669fd5.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  112.2 KB

The hitch also is VERY well integrated, with a new filler panel that fills in all the space leftover between the actual hitch and that original cut out in the bumper. So far I have only installed the 3500 lb variety without cooling, and not had anyone want the 5000 lb extra coolers version. Bike racks, etc. the main use anyway.
The following 4 users liked this post by beach109:
Clubhops10 (07-07-2013), Flame3g (07-11-2013), Grimlock (07-06-2013), OhioMDXer (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Thank you very much for the nice photos! I chose the advance running boards over the sport steps. I saw them installed on an MDX inside the showroom in the dealership and they really look nice. They didn't seem to get in the way when I entered/exited the vehicle.
I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly with the installation of all the accessories I ordered.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
5th Gear

Beach109, thanks for the pictures! I've been wanting to see pictures of the sports running boards!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks beach109!
Did they give you any type of discounts on the accessories? I'm willing to pay msrp for the car. But the accessories I want to add on to the car is so much higher than what is listed on the acura website. Supposedly its $5,500 for all the accessories, I wanted 50% discount off on the accessories. Given that I've been a 10 year client to this particular acura dealership, I would hope they would consider relationship and loyalty in their decision making. But I was turned down.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsfm29
Did they give you any type of discounts on the accessories? I'm willing to pay msrp for the car. But the accessories I want to add on to the car is so much higher than what is listed on the acura website. Supposedly its $5,500 for all the accessories, I wanted 50% discount off on the accessories. Given that I've been a 10 year client to this particular acura dealership, I would hope they would consider relationship and loyalty in their decision making. But I was turned down.
They gave them to me at cost (or so they say), which is around 15% off from their installed MSRP. Note that the prices from the acura.com are the uninstalled MSRP. Dealers also charge for installation.

They charged me $3675 (pre-tax of course) for the installation of the following:
1. Back-up sensors (with back-up sensor attachment)
2. Body side moldings
3. Rear bumper protector (metal)
4. Remote engine start system
5. Roof rails
6. Running boards (advance)
7. Splash guard set
8. Sport bumper trim - front
9. Sport bumper trim - rear

Then they gave me the following absolutely free of charge:
1. All-season floor mats (1st and 2nd row)
2. All-season floor mats (3rd row)
3. Cargo tray -living hinge
4. Wheel locks
5. Door edge film

I was also able to get a small discount ($300) from the MSRP of the 2014 MDX Tech/Ent trim. I calculated that I saved around $1500 in total if I paid MSRP on everything including the free accessories that were thrown in.

Overall, the discount is not much but it's the best that I can negotiate from the dealer. Now, I'm just hoping that they do a great job on the installation of the accessories.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Racer

Always remember there is labor involved with accessory install, and the technicians cannot do it for free. Interesting enough, parts like running boards and even side molding take longer than some think to do correctly.

I always say let the dealer do it, for a few dollars more, and take the 4-year warranty from day one.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Always remember there is labor involved with accessory install, and the technicians cannot do it for free. Interesting enough, parts like running boards and even side molding take longer than some think to do correctly.

I always say let the dealer do it, for a few dollars more, and take the 4-year warranty from day one.
How long does it take to install running boards and side moldings on 2014? It took me 2h to do steps and moldings on 2012. And i did correctly.
Fabian43 (06-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great thread. I am interested in the rear sport bumper trim - anyone have a pict straight from the back? Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

They gave them to me at cost (or so they say), which is around 15% off from their installed MSRP. Note that the prices from the acura.com are the uninstalled MSRP. Dealers also charge for installation.

They charged me $3675 (pre-tax of course) for the installation of the following:
1. Back-up sensors (with back-up sensor attachment)
2. Body side moldings
3. Rear bumper protector (metal)
4. Remote engine start system
5. Roof rails
6. Running boards (advance)
7. Splash guard set
8. Sport bumper trim - front
9. Sport bumper trim - rear

Then they gave me the following absolutely free of charge:
1. All-season floor mats (1st and 2nd row)
2. All-season floor mats (3rd row)
3. Cargo tray -living hinge
4. Wheel locks
5. Door edge film

I was also able to get a small discount ($300) from the MSRP of the 2014 MDX Tech/Ent trim. I calculated that I saved around $1500 in total if I paid MSRP on everything including the free accessories that were thrown in.

Overall, the discount is not much but it's the best that I can negotiate from the dealer. Now, I'm just hoping that they do a great job on the installation of the accessories.
Were you pretty persistent with the discounts 15% and thrown in accessories. Or was the dealership throwing it in without you mentioning anything?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Were you pretty persistent with the discounts 15% and thrown in accessories. Or was the dealership throwing it in without you mentioning anything?
I had to negotiate back and forth. The discount for the accessories was easy to negotiate as they offered it to us from the start. The freebies I had to request. Initially they only gave the all-season mats for all rows and the foldable cargo tray. I was able to make them throw in the wheel locks and door edge film yesterday when we finalized our purchase. The $300 MSRP from the MDX price was the one that I had to squeeze out of them.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Due to the, shall we say, 'aftermarket...awww hell...BLACK MARKET' interest in Acura's in the New England area, my dealer gives away the wheel locks with every Acura they sell.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thinking about these accessories:
- advanced running boards
- front sport trim
- body side moldings
- fog lights
- all weather mats
- heated steering wheel
- cargo liner

Dealer is talking $1400 or so for labor for these ... Figure 8 hours to do it all that's $175/hr. Not sure I want an Acura that badly ... Jeesh! Even if it takes two people or a bit more time ... Wowza
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Cruisin'

Is anyone getting the sill trim illuminated? Do you have it in any of your other acuras? Taking a look at the numbers again, don't know if this makes sense anymore.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced

Is anyone getting the sill trim illuminated? Do you have it in any of your other acuras? Taking a look at the numbers again, don't know if this makes sense anymore.
Even though I didn't get this accessory when I bought mine, I was strongly considering it...and I'm still thinking about it almost three weeks later. I may end up buying the sill trim illuminated! Let me know if you pull the trigger and how it looks if you wouldn't mind.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by snookssec
Due to the, shall we say, 'aftermarket...awww hell...BLACK MARKET' interest in Acura's in the New England area, my dealer gives away the wheel locks with every Acura they sell.
Acura dealer in my area is the same way. They have wheel locks on every single car in their lot (so you just get them when you buy a car from them). I'm betting they are doing it for cheaper insurance for the cars on their lot.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I had mine installed by dealer...i know its completely different job but i just put on the splash guards. Took 20 mins..easy job. no drilling
Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Forgot to write in my previous message that it was splash guards i installed. Not wheel locks. Lol. Im hoping there is no one outhere that needs help installing wheel locks.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by snookssec
Even though I didn't get this accessory when I bought mine, I was strongly considering it...and I'm still thinking about it almost three weeks later. I may end up buying the sill trim illuminated! Let me know if you pull the trigger and how it looks if you wouldn't mind.
I also don't want to the first one the dealership installs and be the guinea pig.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLbullet
Forgot to write in my previous message that it was splash guards i installed. Not wheel locks. Lol. Im hoping there is no one outhere that needs help installing wheel locks.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

I also don't want to the first one the dealership installs and be the guinea pig.
I here you on that I'm waiting alittle before I order my accessories, got to finish the mods on the other car anyway .
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLbullet
You never know lol, like stated above $10 dollars to install mats.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Great pics, Beach!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Self-install accessories

There are a number of exterior accessories that I plan to get and install myself. The only accessories I would consider having the dealer install are ones that deal with electrical. My plans are as follows:

1. Advance Running Boards - Install looks really easy.
2. Roof Rails - Install has many steps, but none look overly complicated, just time consuming.
3. Remote Start - Dealer install
4. Body Side Molding (still considering) - Would definitely do a self-install.
5. Rear Bumper Protector, Metal - Self install, but likely would not drill into the bumper.

I'm also considering the rear sport trim, but like the rear bumper protector, would likely not drill into the bumper and instead use 3M double sided tape. This would allow for removal if necessary and should make installation very easy.

I realize that having the dealer install them would give piece of mind and warranty, but for non-moving parts warranty is not a concern for me. My dealer is marking everything up and their "selling at cost" is even more than purchasing off Acura's eStore with installation.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sbkim
Great thread. I am interested in the rear sport bumper trim - anyone have a pict straight from the back? Thanks
I have a Graphite MDX with the sport bumper trim in the back. I have pics but I can't attach them in the forum as I am being blocked by the system (I guess because I am a new user) and I also can't PM. if you want to provide your email address I can email them to you.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

I had aftermarket strip Philips LED driving/fog lights installed and they look incredible, they look so much better then the Acura fog lights. They actually look very much like Mercedes LED strips on their SUVs
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

I also purchased the following Acura accessories

Remote start
All season floor mats for all rows
Living hinge (folding) trunk tray
Front and rear Sport bumper trim
Door edge trim
Cargo net
and metal bumper protection.