2014 Fuel Overflows onto ground

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 Fuel Overflows onto ground

Hi,

I have a '14 MDX with only 11,000 miles on it, and each time I do a fill-up (auto-fill) the gas overflows out of the filler hole before it automatically shuts off. The auto shut-off is clearly not triggering soon enough. Sometimes gas comes down the side of the car onto the paint, and other times it avoids the paint but drips down the drain hole and onto the ground underneath the car. I have experienced this at multiple gas stations and have made sure the nozzle is all the way in, tight to the tank filler hole. I am the second owner of this MDX and have only had it for 1000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have not found any sort of TSB on the issue. I'd appreciate any advice before I reach out to the dealer for warranty work.

For what it's worth-- I've also got an ILX and have had many other cars that have not had this issue. I really do not think it is operator error. I could appreciate that this car is sensitive and needs the spout jammed all the way in tight, but doing so has not helped at all.

If I do bring it to the dealer, what do you think the issue would be? A problem with the filler neck that requires dropping the tank?

Thanks

Last edited by RockoS13; 05-30-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Ive never heard of it. I would bring it to the dealer and bring them to the gas station and show them.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by RockoS13
Hi,

I have a '14 MDX with only 11,000 miles on it, and each time I do a fill-up (auto-fill) the gas overflows out of the filler hole before it automatically shuts off. The auto shut-off is clearly not triggering soon enough. Sometimes gas comes down the side of the car onto the paint, and other times it avoids the paint but drips down the drain hole and onto the ground underneath the car. I have experienced this at multiple gas stations and have made sure the nozzle is all the way in, tight to the tank filler hole. I am the second owner of this MDX and have only had it for 1000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have not found any sort of TSB on the issue. I'd appreciate any advice before I reach out to the dealer for warranty work.

For what it's worth-- I've also got an ILX and have had many other cars that have not had this issue. I really do not think it is operator error. I could appreciate that this car is sensitive and needs the spout jammed all the way in tight, but doing so has not helped at all.

If I do bring it to the dealer, what do you think the issue would be? A problem with the filler neck that requires dropping the tank?

Thanks
MOST of the time, when that happens or when fuel wont go in the car, the evap canister purge valve is the culprit. it usually is a little black valve and can get jammed due to topping off at the pump