2014 Acura MDX Spy Photo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they stick on with the SH-AWD but (as they did in the case of the RDX), the weight savings + better fuel economy is the reason they did away with it. The SH-AWD is a beast in terms of it's weight, and while I do not suspect they will do away with it, I don't doubt if they come out with different grades in the MDX line up i.e. with/without SH-AWD.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now we need one without that huge cover!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the SHAWD system will most likely be the one in the new NSX and RLX with the electric motors in the rear (on the RLX, they will be on the front for the NSX)...there is your weight savings and instant horsies and torque to boot!

should be interesting...we'll all find out this fall.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the SHAWD system will most likely be the one in the new NSX and RLX with the electric motors in the rear (on the RLX, they will be on the front for the NSX)...there is your weight savings and instant horsies and torque to boot!

should be interesting...we'll all find out this fall.
I am not convinced that 2 motors, batteries and charging components are a weight saving measure. My guess is that a diff and carbon drive shaft is lighter so the gain is in available HP and the appearance of being tree-huggers.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
In looking at the spy shots and the latest renditions of the RDX, ILX, and RLX, here's my render of a 2014 MDX..not perfect, but you get the idea...

You might be onto something here. I bet this is very close.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
I am not convinced that 2 motors, batteries and charging components are a weight saving measure. My guess is that a diff and carbon drive shaft is lighter so the gain is in available HP and the appearance of being tree-huggers.
no instant torque ala the tesla? everything now is aimed at the tree huggers.

and yes...we the anti-prius owners of the MDX....we don't 'mind how thirsty our X's can be. it's still ULEV!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like few more pics

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1063154
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jaytank

It looks like the Interior will look like the new RDX an RLX concept. From the pics it doesn't look like it will grow much in size (maybe smaller?).

Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
It looks like the Interior will look like the new RDX an RLX concept. From the pics it doesn't look like it will grow much in size (maybe smaller?).
I don't know, I thought it looked bigger, like Chevy Traverse proportions when looking at the traffic pictures. Bigger makes more sense, they want to create a distinction between the RDX and MDX and the RDX is considerably bigger now.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jbawden
I don't know, I thought it looked bigger, like Chevy Traverse proportions when looking at the traffic pictures. Bigger makes more sense, they want to create a distinction between the RDX and MDX and the RDX is considerably bigger now.
I would agree! and i hope your right!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
^^

What she said.

That video absolutely rocks. Where I live, in NH, it was actually this video that sold me on the MDX. Seeing the Audi nearly slide off sideways blew my mind. RX350 did pretty much the same thing.

The MDX beat every ruled at the incline test. Pretty cool how the SH takes over in this video with the test having one side of the vehicle being on complete ice and the other on pavement.

Check it out:

Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb MotorAuthority

Acura has started testing its next-generation MDX on public roads and we managed to scoop a prototype not far from the Nürburgring race track in Germany.

It was spotted testing alongside a BMW X5, 1 of its main competitors, although we hope the new MDX is significantly better as the X5 is soon to be replaced by a new and improved model as well.

The new MDX is expected to land in showrooms in late 2013 or early the following year, as a 2014 model.

It will bring with it a vast array of new technologies and what appears to be a more streamlined shape. Though camouflaged, it appears the MDX will be sharing a number of styling cues previewed by the recent 2013 RLX Concept.

Styling cues won’t be the only thing shared between the 2013 RLX and this new 2014 MDX, however, as both vehicles should share a powertrain lineup. This means the 2014 MDX may offer two powertrain options, a base version powered by a regular V-6 and a new hybrid model featuring the Acura Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system destined for the next-generation NSX supercar.

The regular model will feature a direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 matched to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. Output of this model should eclipse the 300 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque found in the current model.

The hybrid model, if built, will feature the same V-6 engine matched to an electric motor and dual-clutch transmission, and power a single axle. The alternate axle will be powered by another 2 electric motors that work independently. The setup would allow multiple driving modes, including electric- or gas-only modes, plus a hybrid mode calling on both electric and gas power and offering all-wheel drive capability.

Stay tuned for more details as development of the 2014 Acura MDX progresses.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Racer

Well I'm glad it is still testing alongside the X5 and not the JX. This could mean sportiness is still part of the equation for the next MDX.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

^^^ have to agree! Wasn't impressed with performance in the JX at all. And from the latest spy shots, it looks considerably bigger! Very promising!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The Motor Authority article says "The new MDX is expected to land in showrooms in late 2013 or early the following year, as a 2014 model."

I thought most people had said it would be out in mid 2013? Basically a year after the new RDX? I'd figure they want to release it sooner, due to the JX35 selling well.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
WTF is it with Honda and the fat split 5-spoke wheels? And I'm guessing this is a camo'ed base model, but the stance of the X5 is streets ahead of the MDX...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
The Motor Authority article says "The new MDX is expected to land in showrooms in late 2013 or early the following year, as a 2014 model."

I thought most people had said it would be out in mid 2013? Basically a year after the new RDX? I'd figure they want to release it sooner, due to the JX35 selling well.
I know nothing about the logistics behind building a new car, but it does seem like this model is pretty far along to wait 12-18 more months to release it. I have to think if they are track testing (presumably) they are just working out the final specs. My money is on the 2013 MY being totally new, released in late fall. No doubt it's bigger than the current model.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbawden
I know nothing about the logistics behind building a new car, but it does seem like this model is pretty far along to wait 12-18 more months to release it. I have to think if they are track testing (presumably) they are just working out the final specs. My money is on the 2013 MY being totally new, released in late fall. No doubt it's bigger than the current model.
I would definitely say 2014. We're almost mid-2012, so many 2013s have either been introduced to the public or are already on the road. Keep in mind when introducing a new vehicle, there is a ton of work required even after the vehicle has been fully tested and readied for production. Here are just a few thoughts...
  • Production: suppliers have to be ready with the new parts, and most importantly, factories have to be retooled
  • Publications: engine specs/ratings are sanctioned and the all-important hp and EPA figures are established
  • Dealer Network: technicians must be trained, the sales staff educated on the new vehicle specs
Obviously, there's a lot more involved (vehicle accessories, target marketing, key advertising, show circuits, incentives to off-load current model, etc.). Rolling out a new vehicle is a painful process and there are a lot of moving parts. I think we have a little while to go before we see the new MDX on a dealer lot.

Plus, the current model is still its top-seller, so there's no rush (unlike the RDX)...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Post Video

Acura is out testing its next-generation MDX luxury crossover on public roads and we’ve managed to scoop a prototype running around the Nürburgring and on some of the German race track’s surrounding streets.

The new MDX is expected to land in showrooms in the second half of 2013, which would make it a 2014 model.

It will bring with it a vast array of new technologies and what appears to be a more streamlined shape to help fend of rivals like the BMW X5, Buick Enclave and Lexus RX.

Though camouflaged, it appears the MDX will be sharing a number of styling cues previewed by the recent 2013 RLX Concept, which it itself previews the upcoming replacement for the Acura RL flagship sedan. We can make out what appears to be a sharper bumper on this MDX prototype as well as a typical shield-shaped grille.

Styling cues won’t be the only thing shared between the 2013 RLX and the 2014 MDX, as both vehicles should share a powertrain lineup as well.

This means the 2014 MDX may offer 2 powertrain options--a base version powered by a regular V-6 and a new hybrid model featuring the Acura Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system destined for the next-generation NSX supercar.

The base model is tipped to feature a direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 matched to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. Output should eclipse the 300 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque found in the outgoing MDX.

The hybrid range-topper, if built, will feature the same V-6 engine matched to an electric motor and dual-clutch transmission, with both power sources driving a single axle.

The alternate axle will be powered by another 2 electric motors working independently and directing torque as required to benefit handling. The setup would allow multiple driving modes, including electric- or gas-only modes, plus a hybrid mode calling on both electric and gas power and offering all-wheel drive capability.

Look out for the reveal of the 2014 Acura MDX at a major American auto show early next year.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm a little curious about the price tag for all this new technology and the reliability for the new 7AT transmission, direct injection engine and electric AWD system. I think we will see only minor improvements in the tech department on the 2014 MDX. I think it would hurt future sales if the new drivetrain tech cost close to $60,000 and/or has technical/performance issues. There is always the possibility the new styling of the 2014 MDX could hurt sales.

Our next vehicle will be a 2014/2015 MDX; I hope Acura does not jack it up.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Updated my render with the RLX slats in the grille...the spy shots show the slats, I didn't catch them before...

Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I hope this isn't a repost since I didn't see a link for the video in this thread.

But here's the link to the next gen MDX testing on the Nurburgring:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-mdx-spy-video
Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SlimTL
I hope this isn't a repost since I didn't see a link for the video in this thread.

But here's the link to the next gen MDX testing on the Nurburgring:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-mdx-spy-video
So weird/funny to see an SUV testing at the 'Ring. I have to admit though, it looked pretty good hustling around the bends.

Maybe it's the camo, but it looks a tad longer...
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

So if this redesigned MDX has been confirmed to be the 2014 model, when do you guys think the 2013 MDX will get announced/released?

And should we expect to see this redesigned model start selling by fall of 2013?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
So if this redesigned MDX has been confirmed to be the 2014 model, when do you guys think the 2013 MDX will get announced/released?

And should we expect to see this redesigned model start selling by fall of 2013?
The all new 2014 MDX could be out earlier than fall/13; Acura has release a new model in the spring. The 2013 MDX might be exactly the same as the 2012 with zero improvements and have a very short model run of 6 months (Oct/12-Mar/13).

The major improvement in the 2013 RDX’s MPGs, increased size, and ride quality might be stealing folks from the MDX if the extra space is not needed. I would like to see the sales for the next 6 months (June/12 to Dec/12) to see if Acura is picking up new buyers for the RDX or stealing them from the current MDX line? That is why I think Acura will release the 2014 MDX sooner compared to later.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dominik331
Well I'm glad it is still testing alongside the X5 and not the JX. This could mean sportiness is still part of the equation for the next MDX.
It also looks like a X5 5.0 with m sport package. If the mdx can beat that x5 around the track that would be pretty awsome. Come on Acura. ADVANCE
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

Arrow AutoMobileMag

Nearly 6 years have passed since the 2nd-generation Acura MDX debuted, and a little more than 2 since it was overhauled and wrapped with a mild facelift. If it feels like high time for a new MDX, you’re in luck: an all-new model is just around the corner, and our spies caught an early Acura MDX prototype undergoing testing in Europe.

It’s hard to see much of the new MDX’s exterior styling in these photos, as the next-generation crossover wears both heavy cladding and makeshift head- and taillamp assemblies, but a few cues up front suggest Acura’s next 3-row crossover will take a page from its new 2013 RDX compact crossover. Not only does the “beak” grille seem softer and a bit more conservative, but the lower edges of the tapered headlamp assemblies will be in line with the lower edge of the V-shaped grille. The lower front fascia, which presently boasts a smattering of unusual apertures and intakes, appears cleaner on this tester, and more in-step with that applied to the latest RDX.

Beneath the skin, expect the MDX to continue sharing its Accord-derived platform with both the Honda Pilot and Odyssey. Expect the MDX to retain 6-cylinder power: we hear rumbling’s that a revised 3.5-liter V-6, revamped under the company’s Earth Dreams powertrain program, will gain direct fuel injection and a number of other tweaks to boost power and fuel economy. Early estimates suggest the V-6 could produce somewhere in the neighborhood of 310 hp, which is about 10 hp more than the current MDX’s 3.7-liter V-6.

We’ve heard rumblings that the MDX could adopt a ZF-sourced 9-speed automatic in the years to come, but there’s still a chance that the next-gen MDX could initially launch with the 6-speed transmission it presently employs. Another unknown lies with Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system: although the torque-shuffling driveline aids handling and is something of a hallmark, there’s a chance Acura could ditch it for a lighter, less expensive driveline. The automaker did just that when revamping its 2012 RDX, citing a lack of demand for the technology in this family-centric segment. It’s also fairly unlikely that the company’s new hybrid SH-AWD system, which will be used in both the upcoming RLX luxury sedan and the NSX sports coupe, will be used in this particular application.

These remaining details will likely emerge in due course – and we won’t have to wait all that long to see them unfold. The next-generation Acura MDX should make its public debut in late 2013, possibly even as a 2014 model year vehicle.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Acura the 2013 MDX is unchanged. It will not be redone until the 2014 model year probably released in the fall of 2013.

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...change-summary
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I was just over there for vacation and it would have been pretty cool if I was able to see one driving around. I did however see a few camouflaged BMWs driving around Munich.

I'm interested in what the headlights are going to look like as they are still using those generic lamps.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Racer

It's looking a lot bigger, not necessarily a good thing for me. Some will appreciate a bigger third row, but the current MDX is the biggest I am willing to go for.

If only they could redesign the back of the ZDX and make that a true 5-seater option.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dominik331
It's looking a lot bigger, not necessarily a good thing for me.
I think that's the camo. It's still the same platform:
MDX to continue sharing its Accord-derived platform with both the Honda Pilot and Odyssey
I wouldn't expect it much different in size or dynamics that the current model (which I think is a good thing). Especially with the recent 2013 Accord reveal, I don't think Honda is changing much on its core models right now.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
I think that's the camo. It's still the same platform:

I wouldn't expect it much different in size or dynamics that the current model (which I think is a good thing). Especially with the recent 2013 Accord reveal, I don't think Honda is changing much on its core models right now.
Looking at the new models from Honda, What they did with the Civic, CR-V and now Accord, I would expect that the new MDX will be an vastly improved version of the current model, while still preserving a lot of what has made the MDX King of the segment....I wonder what the new AWD system will be like though, in terms of performance.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Cool Update from TOV

Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb C&d

What It Is: A next-generation Acura MDX prototype being tested in the desert while towing a trailer. Setting aside the fact that the mule in these spy photos is the 1st MDX this author has ever seen towing anything, the covered-up crossover does reveal what to expect when the redesigned model hits the market—besides its towing capability.

Why It Matters: The MDX in its current form was introduced for 2007 and has only received a single major refresh, which updated it for 2010. Despite its age, the MDX managed to place 3rd in a recent 5-crossover comparison test, and we still think it’s one of the better-driving offerings in its segment. Acura is in the throes of overhauling its entire lineup, having recently introduced the new RDX crossover and ILX compact sedan, as well as previewing the upcoming, range-topping RLX sedan in lightly disguised “concept” form. This MDX would be nearly the final piece in Acura’s mainstream lineup puzzle. (We’re not counting the highly anticipated NSX sports car revival here for obvious reasons.) Once this new MDX is squared away, pretty much all that’s left for Acura to do is figure out which sedan to place between the ILX and RLX—the TL or the TSX.

Platform: Expect the 2014 MDX to continue to offer 3-row seating, some form of all-wheel drive, and crisp exterior styling. It’s also clear from these spy photos that there’s a size increase in store for the next MDX, chiefly in length. The wheelbase doesn’t look hugely different, but this tester has a lot more rear overhang than the current model. We expect the added length will free up more space in the way back of the MDX’s cabin, possibly allowing real-world adults to sit in the third row.

It appears the MDX will ditch its angular, techno-Transformer look for softer, less-exciting duds. An RDX-like face is visible through this prototype’s camouflage, and the roofline has more curvature than the current greenhouse. In profile, the new Acura doesn’t look too different from Infiniti’s new JX crossover, a vehicle targeted directly at the strong-selling Acura. We’ll reserve final judgment on the MDX’s cosmetics until we can see more of it, but we think the outgoing model wore Acura’s (now-last-gen) styling language the best.

Powertrain: The current MDX is motivated by a 300-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 driving all four wheels through Acura’s torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system. We don’t anticipate this basic formula to change much, although there’s a chance that the heavy and expensive SH-AWD setup could be ditched, like it was for the latest RDX, for a non-super system. There’s also a chance of the MDX switching to a hybridized AWD system like the RLX’s. It remains to be seen whether such a powertrain could handle the kind of towing duties undertaken in these photos.

Competition: BMW X5, Infiniti JX, Lexus RX350, Land Rover LR4, Mercedes-Benz ML-class.

Estimated Arrival Time: The new MDX could appear at an auto show as soon as early next year, although, in typical Acura fashion, we’ll likely get a look at a near-production-ready “concept” version 1st. Look for the production MDX to go on sale sometime next year as a 2014 model.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:14 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Patiently waiting..... Hope they put out the concept sooner then later!!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Few predictions/wishes

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 2014 MDX is going to incorporate the Jewel Eye LED headlights from the RLX (or at best, an option on the higher end models).

And I hope Acura keeps the tailpipe tips exposed. It seems like the trend they are on, that exposed tailpipe tips will not be around.

The interior might be similarly laid out with dual screens like the RLX. And a larger sunroof/dual roof could be wishful thinking.

This is all my and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I like the current MDX interior. If they make it similar to what I saw of the RLX interior, it'll be a knockout. The only thing that I think they may be doing, which I don't like, is making this sucker bigger. Which would mean even worse mileage (yuck) unless they incorporate cylinder deactivation like on the RDX or make it "hybrid-ized" like the RLX where motors assist the main engine.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SlimTL
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 2014 MDX is going to incorporate the Jewel Eye LED headlights from the RLX (or at best, an option on the higher end models).

And I hope Acura keeps the tailpipe tips exposed. It seems like the trend they are on, that exposed tailpipe tips will not be around.

The interior might be similarly laid out with dual screens like the RLX. And a larger sunroof/dual roof could be wishful thinking.

This is all my and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Seeing the Accord getting LEDs, I am sure the X would get some type as well. And yes please no more exhaust tips delete, save that for the hybrids.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

Post Update - Click to TOV for pics

Chris Doane Automotive snagged this set of photos of the 2014 Acura MDX, in a considerably lesser state of camouflage than previously seen before. Here we can see a bit more of the vehicle's shape as well as get a peek at the (expected) LED headlights and other details. From these photos, it appears that Acura has (wisely) decided not to mess too much with the MDX's proven styling formula. Mechanically, we're expecting the new MDX to benefit from Honda's new Earth Dreams V6 engine family with Direct Injection and though we haven't heard anything definitive, it seems natural and logical to bet that Acura's Sport Hybrid AWD system will find its way into a version of the upcoming MDX as well.

Quoted below is CDA's text that accompanied this photo set.
SPIED: '14 Acura MDX Drops Its Camo!

The last time we saw the next-gen, 2014 Acura MDX, the entire prototype was covered in thick, padded vinyl. Today, thankfully, Acura engineers have stripped all that off, giving us a much better idea of what the new MDX will look like.

Up front, no one will be surprised to see Acura's "shield" grille. We can also see what look to be a pair of very thin headlights. These units look as though they could be similar to the LED units we've seen on the RLX sedan. LED daytime running lights are also visible along the top of the headlight cluster.

Additionally, the sculpting of the sheet metal is also much easier to see now, along with a set of jeweled tail lights at the rear.

Under the hood, we hear the MDX will gain Acura's new direct injection V6, and possibly a version of Acura's Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

^
Looks a lot like the new rdx (which is a great design). The head lights and tail lights are looking really nice. Unfortunately exposed exhaust pipes are gone

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Spy Photo