2014-2015 Acura MDX PowerSteering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Wow...that sucks! Keep us updated.

So, you could steer, but without assist?
Could steer, low speed only. Freeway is definitely no. Engine runs but steering wasn't good. It happened to me on friday january 30th, 2015.

Last edited by jayth.lg; 02-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Dealership

Originally Posted by tman
It was fixed. Defective Active Noise Cancel control unit was replaced. None of the Techs has seen or heard my issue until then. You probably have an issue that is not common.
Is it ok to have it towed from one dealership to another dealership right? I'd figured if South Coast Acura cannot fix it, then I will have another dealership take over the repair.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'd give them the chance to do the job. If it happens again, then go somewhere else. My GUESS is, the steering unit is ok (because they switched it once, then put back your original one) So what's next? Whatever controls the steering. When I hear that software is involved with steering, it might be related to that.
For example. Take a regular electric table lamp. You plug it in and use a switch. If it stops working, its most likely a bulb went bad. If its not the bulb, then its the switch that's broke, or the outlet is dead. Now add a digital timer to that lamp. Light stops working. You check the bulb, which is good, outlet is good, lamp switch is good, so you narrow it down to a bad timer. This is a simplistic example, but add a computer to run steering makes it harder to diagnose. There is probably some sensor that sends a signal to the computer that controls steering. So Im sure they will get to the bottom of this. Again, its all my guess. Im very curious how it gets solved. Electric steering is just electric steering. When your steering assist goes out, looks like it lost current. Just my logical approach.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Instructor

I'd give them the chance to do the job. If it happens again, then go somewhere else. My GUESS is, the steering unit is ok (because they switched it once, then put back your original one) So what's next? Whatever controls the steering. When I hear that software is involved with steering, it might be related to that.
For example. Take a regular electric table lamp. You plug it in and use a switch. If it stops working, its most likely a bulb went bad. If its not the bulb, then its the switch that's broke, or the outlet is dead. Now add a digital timer to that lamp. Light stops working. You check the bulb, which is good, outlet is good, lamp switch is good, so you narrow it down to a bad timer. This is a simplistic example, but add a computer to run steering makes it harder to diagnose. There is probably some sensor that sends a signal to the computer that controls steering. So Im sure they will get to the bottom of this. Again, its all my guess. Im very curious how it gets solved. Electric steering is just electric steering. When your steering assist goes out, looks like it lost current. Just my logical approach.
I haven't received any updates today via email as I requested to be contacted via email (for record keeping purpose).
Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Update

Paul Mendoza, Service Manager of South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa, California; emailed me and stated that the dealership has ordered the wire harness for the electronic power steering system. Expedited order, should be here on Wednesday.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 AM
Racer

That could be the answer. Bad harness could stop electrical flow with a loose intermittent connection caused by water intrusion, defective manufacturing, etc.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Instructor

That could be the answer. Bad harness could stop electrical flow with a loose intermittent connection caused by water intrusion, defective manufacturing, etc.
Possibly will be done this friday, february 6th. Crossing my fingers. I am not sure what they found that led to their decision on the wire harness.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Racer

Just in the news the other day in Seattle. There was a huge rat nest near some apartments. The cars in the garage suffered damage when the rats chewed through wiring harnesses under the hood. Im sure the Techs would have seen that, but funny how things happen.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Just in the news the other day in Seattle. There was a huge rat nest near some apartments. The cars in the garage suffered damage when the rats chewed through wiring harnesses under the hood. Im sure the Techs would have seen that, but funny how things happen.
I was looking up the wire harness for the mdx, but no pictures of the particular piece. Hoping the repair will be completed by this friday.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Instructor

'15 Acura MDX UPDATE

The wire harness we ordered arrived this morning and was installed on your vehicle. The technician has driven your vehicle several miles without incident. I will test drive your vehicle myself tomorrow and before releasing the vehicle I would like to request a drive with you later in the afternoon.

Paul Mendoza
Service Manager
South Coast Acura
(714)979-2500
Paul.Mendoza@SouthCoastAcura.com

^^^
I copied and pasted the email that I just received from the Manager of Service Department from South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa. I am crossing my fingers that the car should be fixed or "cured" by now.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Racer

Sounds encouraging.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Sounds encouraging.
Yes, thanks, I will inform the community with update(s) tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Racer

Another thing for curiosity sakes, did the Tech visibly see a defect with the wire harness and it would be nice if they showed you. Or how they came to the conclusion it was the harness. Or is it a guess for now.......
Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Another thing for curiosity sakes, did the Tech visibly see a defect with the wire harness and it would be nice if they showed you. Or how they came to the conclusion it was the harness. Or is it a guess for now.......
He did not provide such info in the email. I asked him about whether the problem was the wire harness, he did not respond to that. I can agree with you that they are guessing.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Instructor

The Service Manager still avoids my inquiries on whether the technician did see the bad wire harness that led to the decision to replace / install the wire harness. I have asked him twice. Just emailed him and asked the third time. I'd be surprised that he'd tell me that he does not know.

Will keep you folks up-to-date on this case.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
In most case, bad wire harness or bad wiring is hard to detect visually.

The faults lie at the soldering/crimp joints or inside the copper wiring.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Racer

Its probably more appropriate to ask the questions when you pick up your car and go on the test drive. Might not be a short answer for a email, when they have to assist others. Could be just a simple diagnostic deduction to blame the harness. As mentioned, damage to a harness is not the most obvious.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Just drove the vehicle home, I did bring up the question with the Service Manager as well, he said that the tech saw the one of the harness's wires was loose, and so he had to remove and reinstall the new wire harness to fix the electronic power steering system.

I had a little chat with the General Manager of South Coast Acura, his name is Tommy Pham; I informed him the situation with my vehicle and he just recently purchased the Acura MDX as well. He said he's glad I mentioned about the vehicle's issue with him. And he agreed it was bad, shouldn't be like that.

So I took a little road test with the Service Manager, it was peaceful at last but still feels a little awkward because I was away from the car for almost two weeks. The GM was there when we returned back to the dealership.

Honestly, I am tired going back and forth for something like this. But glad that it is fixed / repaired, and hoping it will not happen again in 5-10 years from now.

Also, I did ask about what if it happens again and the vehicle, per say out of the warranty period. The Manager said that Acura, from time to time does help the clients with the repair; hence going back on the warranty.

Thank you all, especially tman, much appreciated sir.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
In most case, bad wire harness or bad wiring is hard to detect visually.

The faults lie at the soldering/crimp joints or inside the copper wiring.
Its probably more appropriate to ask the questions when you pick up your car and go on the test drive. Might not be a short answer for a email, when they have to assist others. Could be just a simple diagnostic deduction to blame the harness. As mentioned, damage to a harness is not the most obvious.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 AM
Racer

If the Tech visibly saw some minor defect, sounds like its solved. Harness gremlins are one of the worst to diagnose.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Instructor

If the Tech visibly saw some minor defect, sounds like its solved. Harness gremlins are one of the worst to diagnose.
Yes, only one wire was loose and messed up the electrical system. I asked the manager about the classic rack and pinion and the modern rack and opinion; which is better / reliable. His answer was only times will tell.

Less maintenance, saves gas perhaps.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Thus far, no problems since then, but the reverse and go forward (while turning the steering wheel), I keep hearing the grunt / grinding noise (even after the software update from DCH Tustin Acura).
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Instructor

It happened again today, I had to call Acura Customer / Client Relation
Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Racer

Now that is getting to be too annoying. Hope things work out. After my steering program update, I have not had that issue come back.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by jayth.lg
My MDX has been dropped off at South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa, California.

I don't believe it'd be the software issue because prior to this incident, I had my car updated the software regarding the Power Steering by DCH Tustin Acura in California.

I will proceed to NTSB if Acura fails to find the solution for it. But I will keep you posted and others in the Acura community.
Did the update mess something up?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Pro

So I assumed that what they thought or the system thought was faulty, but possibly something else; not the power steering rack unit, itself.

I do not feel confident driving this vehicle anymore, to be honest with you and the community.
I know how you feel. The power steering pump on my 2011 MDX went at 15,000 miles. The dealer ended up changing the pump and the rack. I was disappointed.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Pro

Yes, only one wire was loose and messed up the electrical system. I asked the manager about the classic rack and pinion and the modern rack and opinion; which is better / reliable. His answer was only times will tell.

Less maintenance, saves gas perhaps.
My 2011 MDX needed a new power steering rack and pump early on, so old world is not always the best. BMW has been running electric power steering and water pumps for years without issues that I am aware of. EPS should be reliable.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Did the update mess something up?
I am not sure whether the update messed it up.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Instructor

I know how you feel. The power steering pump on my 2011 MDX went at 15,000 miles. The dealer ended up changing the pump and the rack. I was disappointed.
Congrats on the new vehicle. For my case, this time is the third time. So, I will have to push for it now. I am expecting to receive a phone call from Acura's District Manager. I do not want to deal with it anymore. This is safety concern, unpredictable, we as consumers do not know or have control of it.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Racer

The dealer will do its best to avoid a Lemon Law claim. Reason being is that the car will be worth nothing if they try to sell it. Not sure if you have reached that threshold of Lemon law yet. Steering could be safety concerning depending on the problem. From what I understand, if the EPS fails to give you assist, it will be hard to steer, but not impossible to steer. There are Lemon Law attorneys that can assist if you get to the point where you are getting the run around. Arbitration is also part of the Lemon Law. The Lemon Law process is long. Co worker went thru that years ago, but he won. Dealer should be at your beckoning call with this issue. Don't make threats of Lemon Law, just go with the flow, until you think you are getting mistreated.
I almost went thru a Lemon Law claim on my 09 TL when it was new. But the Dealer and Dist Service Rep worked together to trade in my car for another. The dealer wanted to avoid the Lemon Law cuz I was there for 5 attempts to fix defective paint issues. Wasn't a safety issue, but 5 times was the mark for me and the shop had my car for 3 weeks total during those repairs.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Pro

Congrats on the new vehicle. For my case, this time is the third time. So, I will have to push for it now. I am expecting to receive a phone call from Acura's District Manager. I do not want to deal with it anymore. This is safety concern, unpredictable, we as consumers do not know or have control of it.
I guess the only option now is to change the whole power steering unit, wiring harness and any controller units. I hope they give you a good loaner such as an MDX or RLX.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
My 2011 MDX needed a new power steering rack and pump early on, so old world is not always the best. BMW has been running electric power steering and water pumps for years without issues that I am aware of. EPS should be reliable.
Really?

2013 328i power steering failed - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

By the way, the electrical water pumps on BMW's have been failing after 50-60,000 miles (some even less on the N54/N55), you consider that reliable and without issue? It is well known on some BMW models, you need to pre-emptively replace the water pump to avoid an "in-service failure".
Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Lemon Law of California

The dealer will do its best to avoid a Lemon Law claim. Reason being is that the car will be worth nothing if they try to sell it. Not sure if you have reached that threshold of Lemon law yet. Steering could be safety concerning depending on the problem. From what I understand, if the EPS fails to give you assist, it will be hard to steer, but not impossible to steer. There are Lemon Law attorneys that can assist if you get to the point where you are getting the run around. Arbitration is also part of the Lemon Law. The Lemon Law process is long. Co worker went thru that years ago, but he won. Dealer should be at your beckoning call with this issue. Don't make threats of Lemon Law, just go with the flow, until you think you are getting mistreated.
I almost went thru a Lemon Law claim on my 09 TL when it was new. But the Dealer and Dist Service Rep worked together to trade in my car for another. The dealer wanted to avoid the Lemon Law cuz I was there for 5 attempts to fix defective paint issues. Wasn't a safety issue, but 5 times was the mark for me and the shop had my car for 3 weeks total during those repairs.
Yes, I have spoken to the Lemon Law attorney, he advised me that let the dealership and Acura repair it, it may be too soon for the lemon law, and also mentioned "arbitration" like you stated sire. The lemon law in the state of California can be applicable after 3-4 attempts. In the other hand, I can demand for a replacement and Acura has their rights to say no.

As for Acura's Case District Manager, he said that his field represenative will inspect the vehicle (I am not sure if it'd be the same one for the previous 2 repairs) and will determine whether the car qualifies for Acura Buy Back Program.

Last edited by jayth.lg; 04-11-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I guess the only option now is to change the whole power steering unit, wiring harness and any controller units. I hope they give you a good loaner such as an MDX or RLX.
Dealership had the Power Steering Unit replaced the first attempt, failed. Second time, replaced Power Steering Wiring Harness, also failed. Not sure what they will do this third time around. Will it be the Controller Units? I will keep you guys posted.

Yes, the dealership gave me an MDX for my loaner vehicle.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:31 AM
Pro

Yes, the dealership gave me an MDX for my loaner vehicle.
I would go on some long road trips with an MDX loaner!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Instructor

UPDATE:

My vehicle isn't qualified for Acura's Buy Back Program, go FIGURE!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Racer

Is that something separate from Lemon Law? As I mentioned earlier, they will avoid having to buy it back from a Lemon Law claim, because it will devalue that unit they buy back. Never heard of a buyback program. Must be for a something like what you are going through.

Last edited by tman; 04-13-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, I can't believe Acura MDX is having an issue like this. It's one of the best selling cars in their line up and I'd think they have this down to a science by now.

Good luck with the OP, keep us posted. I just bought a new 2016 MDX and this is concerning since yours is a new model too.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jchoi5
Man, I can't believe Acura MDX is having an issue like this. It's one of the best selling cars in their line up and I'd think they have this down to a science by now.

Good luck with the OP, keep us posted. I just bought a new 2016 MDX and this is concerning since yours is a new model too.
I have a new MDX as well, but I'm not the least bit concerned. While I feel for the OP, the odds of it happening to you are extremely slim. Now if there were 10-15 people on here complaining of this problem, then I might be concerned.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Instructor

A/C Air Conditioners Wire Harness

UPDATE: I just picked up the vehicle today, according to the invoice, they found the white wire from the A/C wire harness was loose. Come one, really?

I am wondering how many wire harnesses will follow the previous two wire harnesses (Power Steering wire harness, A/C wire harness)? My patience is wearing thin guys. I do not feel safe with this vehicle anymore.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Is that something separate from Lemon Law? As I mentioned earlier, they will avoid having to buy it back from a Lemon Law claim, because it will devalue that unit they buy back. Never heard of a buyback program. Must be for a something like what you are going through.
Yes, Buyback Program is from Acura, I have spoken to Acura's Case District Manager, I did mention to him that I want Acura to buy back the vehicle / take back the car because I do not feel safe anymore. He stated that he reviewed my case as well as his field representative also reviewed the case and the decision was that Acura declined the vehicle for the Buyback Program. I was expected them to say that, like you mentioned that it will devalue the vehicle. And so, given their decision to decline the case, I, then request for the vehicle replacement, the case district manager then said that Buyback is the same as car replacement.

(Any of you guys agreed with that statement?)

I have consulted a Lemon Law attorney as well, his name is Douglas D Law, he locates in San Diego, California. His advise was to let them repair it the third time, as according to California's Lemon Law, the repair must be taken place 3-4 times in order to have a Lemon Law case.

Back to Acura, of course, they will try everything to fix it, hence, they do not want to take the vehicle back. I am in the process of switching brand, either Lexus or Infiniti.

Quick Reply: 2014-2015 Acura MDX PowerSteering Issue