AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   17’ advance Acura Care warranty (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/17%92-advance-acura-care-warranty-975806/)

Reinnie 12-20-2018 02:07 PM

17’ advance Acura Care warranty

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it’s worth purchasing Acura care for my MDX. Has anyone with 14’ models needed major repair after factory warranty?

I understand in general warranty is a big money maker for dealers, but with Advance model I was thinking there are more little things that will break.

I was quoted 6yrs, 100k for $2015 from curry and 5yrs, 100k $1850 from Hyannis (they didn’t offer 6yrs).

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

TLXinTX 12-22-2018 12:08 AM

Hi Reinnie,

Are the quotes covering current mileage + 100,000 miles, or up to 100,00 miles? If it's the latter, how many miles per year does that work out for you?

I haven't heard of any seriously expensive repairs needed for the 14+ MDX yet. You'll still be responsible for 100,000-mile maintenance (timing belt, water pump) at ~$1200. The warranty likely won't cover suspension components that will need replacing at 60-70k miles. Other than that, stay up on oil and filter changes, fluid changes, and it should reward you with fantastic reliability.

Always remember that warranties are negotiable. You could tell them you plan on driving x miles per year, so having peace of mind is really worth just $1200 to you. Most dealers will come down $500 on warranty quotes.

Let us know what you work out!

mrgold35 12-23-2018 08:12 AM

You still have until the 4yr/50K basic warranty expires before you need to decide to purchase Acura Care. The basic warranty expiration date starts when the MDX purchased/leased by the 1st owner. You have to call Acura Warranty with the VIN to find the original purchase/lease date if you purchased used. I purchased my 5yr/120k Acura Care for $2350 online for my 11 MDX Adv+Ent in Nov/2014 before my basic warranty expired in Jan/2015. This was before Acura provided the 100,000 miles extended warranty for the magnetic struts/shock system for the MDX/ZDXs (already had the front fail/replaced under the basic warranty at 35k).

You still have:
- 4yr/50k basic warranty
- 6yr/70k Powertrain warranty
- any future 100k Acura extended warranties offered down the road

The basic, powertrain, current/future extended warranties will most likely pay first before Acura Care. You might only be covered for Acura Care from 70k-100k for +$2000 and Acura will be making $$$ on that money for 2-6 years before it needs to pay anything out.

I would:
- wait 30-45 days before the 4yr/50k basic expires before making a final decision
- look online for prices to see about avoiding local sales tax. It would have costed me $200-$250 more because of local sales tax if I purchased in NM
- Only purchase Acura Care because it is accepted at any Acura dealership or Honda dealership IF Acura isn't available
- NO third party Acura Care look alike warranties from dealerships. They can have too many restrictions like:
** might have schedule maintenance requirements at dealership or it could void the 3rd party warranty (no local shops or home "shade tree" maint)
** might not be transferable to new owners
** may not be pro-rated for a refund if you sell vehicle early
** might have to do all warranty repairs at certain dealerships compared to any Acura/Honda dealerships (pain in the butt if you move)
** 3rd party warranty might not cover all repairs OR make it difficult to make a claim