‘14 MDX - Tires & Brake Pads Replacement & Rotor Resurfacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘14 MDX - Tires & Brake Pads Replacement & Rotor Resurfacing

35K Miles, annoying wobbling when braking, was told I need new pads and rotors resurfaced. Should I get this done at the dealer for $385 or go somewhere else? Of somewhere else, what company?

Is it a good idea to get my tires at the dealer? I don’t have a lift or equipment. Are there better all weather tires for Southern California than what the dealer sells (Continentals and Michelins)?

All advise welcome and appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
When was your MDX first purchased? If you're still in the 4 year / 50k mile warranty then I'd push for it to be covered. Acura has had other MDXes with prematurely-wearing brakes and others have been successful getting it covered under warranty.

Michelin Premiere LTX is my recommendation for tires. If the dealer can get it and offers you the best price I'm not opposed to buying tires from a dealer. Also check Costco, if you have a membership.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by p07r0457
When was your MDX first purchased? If you're still in the 4 year / 50k mile warranty then I'd push for it to be covered. Acura has had other MDXes with prematurely-wearing brakes and others have been successful getting it covered under warranty.

Michelin Premiere LTX is my recommendation for tires. If the dealer can get it and offers you the best price I'm not opposed to buying tires from a dealer. Also check Costco, if you have a membership.

when you say “Acura”, you mean call Acura, or liaise with the Acura deal who did the work? I bought off lease almost 2 years ago but purchased the extended 2 year/50K mike warranty. Dealer told me to pay for it. I did. Brakes were 50% on front. But wobbling with braking. So I got the rotors resurfaced and new pads on the front. Problem is gone.

if you’re telling me I could have gotten it for free, I’ll be calling acura directly first thing in the AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thesurg3on
when you say “Acura”, you mean call Acura, or liaise with the Acura deal who did the work? I bought off lease almost 2 years ago but purchased the extended 2 year/50K mike warranty. Dealer told me to pay for it. I did. Brakes were 50% on front. But wobbling with braking. So I got the rotors resurfaced and new pads on the front. Problem is gone.

if you’re telling me I could have gotten it for free, I’ll be calling acura directly first thing in the AM.
I'm a bit surprised you would pay for service and then ask for options AFTER the fact. In the future, ask for advice BEFORE you make your decision. :-)

There have been people posting on the forums with similar complaints to yours, who have been successful in lobbying Acura to repair/replace the brakes under the new vehicle warranty -- typically resurface rotors and replace pads.

Ideally you'd lobby for that BEFORE paying for the repair, yourself. You can try contacting the dealer and -- politely -- stating your case. Maybe they'll submit a claim to Acura corporate for potential warranty coverage.

If the dealer isn't giving you a satisfactory response, you can open a case with Acura Client Relations by calling (800) 382-2238 M-F 6A-5P PST.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by p07r0457
I'm a bit surprised you would pay for service and then ask for options AFTER the fact. In the future, ask for advice BEFORE you make your decision. :-)

There have been people posting on the forums with similar complaints to yours, who have been successful in lobbying Acura to repair/replace the brakes under the new vehicle warranty -- typically resurface rotors and replace pads.

Ideally you'd lobby for that BEFORE paying for the repair, yourself. You can try contacting the dealer and -- politely -- stating your case. Maybe they'll submit a claim to Acura corporate for potential warranty coverage.

If the dealer isn't giving you a satisfactory response, you can open a case with Acura Client Relations by calling (800) 382-2238 M-F 6A-5P PST.
Duly noted. At the end of the day I needed the fix asap and free or $400 wasn’t stopping me to get it fixed ASAP. If they give me cash, cool. If not, lesson learned but not to much a biggie. I just didn’t know it worked that way with cars. My first car. I figured it’s in the dealers best interest to get you as much for free as possible since hey get it back from Acura if you’re under warranty. With that being said, I just assumed they’d be fighting for me. $400 for a lesson ain’t that bad, right?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 AM
Racer

Duly noted. At the end of the day I needed the fix asap and free or $400 wasn’t stopping me to get it fixed ASAP. If they give me cash, cool. If not, lesson learned but not to much a biggie. I just didn’t know it worked that way with cars. My first car. I figured it’s in the dealers best interest to get you as much for free as possible since hey get it back from Acura if you’re under warranty. With that being said, I just assumed they’d be fighting for me. $400 for a lesson ain’t that bad, right?
If $400 is a cheap lesson, for you, then power to ya. I know other people where $400 is more than half their rent. I don't judge.

My experience with dealers is that they take whatever path offers them the least resistance. If it's "gravy" work with a clear-cut payment through the warranty, then they'll push it all day long. However, if they have to escalate the issue and negotiate warranty coverage, or if something is a "goodwill" issue then they'll proposition it as a customer-pay, if possible. Ultimately the service departments are profit centers, and they tend to focus on what makes them the most money, in the shortest period of time.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

35K Miles, annoying wobbling when braking, was told I need new pads and rotors resurfaced. Should I get this done at the dealer for $385 or go somewhere else? Of somewhere else, what company?

Is it a good idea to get my tires at the dealer? I don’t have a lift or equipment. Are there better all weather tires for Southern California than what the dealer sells (Continentals and Michelins)?

All advise welcome and appreciated.
I just had my brakes done at about 27k, less than yours, i paid $346 at metro acura. As far as tires, compare prices, i have been getting my tires at america's tire, they have been able to match and/or beat costco all the time and last get Michelins, more money but they are very good tires. My two cents.