Video of 2016 MDX Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Video of 2016 MDX Suspension Noises

As all of you are aware, I've been vocal about my complaints in regards to my wife's brand new 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance and particularly its extremely noisy suspension. I don't drive the car very often (because it drives me nuts), but this weekend, I drove 2-3 miles to get my haircut and it was so frustrating. Thus, on my return trip home, I filmed my trip. These are the noises heard just driving home on a 2-3 mile trip. These roads aren't even ideal for reproducing the noises.

Please turn your volume up, does anyone else hear these thunks, pops and bushing noises?

As stated, the rear suspension noise is like a hollow popping noise almost like you have loose wood sheets banging against each other. So annoying...

Most of the shots in the neighborhood are hitting manhole covers. There are a couple that are fairly large dips and would make normal suspension noise in most cars, but on the MDX it is much louder and higher frequency (pop rather than thud). Majority of the manhole covers though are pretty flush with the ground and in most cars aren't very detectable. Also, I messed up filming on portion so I refilmed it the next day which is why one section is sunnier than the other. Those sunny parts are just normal roads with normal bumps (not potholes or manhole covers).

Video here:

Last edited by BrianV; 11-09-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX suspension noise

Brian, that is exactly what I hear and under the same kind of conditions. It's also the noise heard on both occasions when I had an Acura tech ride with me. I was told both times that it was normal. I ask, do you mean normal for all SUV's or just an MDX? They said they didn't know about other brands but it was normal for an MDX. From what I've read and the other MDX owners I've spoken to it seems it is normal. Many seem to just accept it.....my wife does.....but i can't stand it.

Larry
Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Calico5888
Brian, that is exactly what I hear and under the same kind of conditions. It's also the noise heard on both occasions when I had an Acura tech ride with me. I was told both times that it was normal. I ask, do you mean normal for all SUV's or just an MDX? They said they didn't know about other brands but it was normal for an MDX. From what I've read and the other MDX owners I've spoken to it seems it is normal. Many seem to just accept it.....my wife does.....but i can't stand it.

Larry
So frustrating. I asked Acura Client Relations and their Facebook page to confirm with product engineers that it's normal. I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I find the car unlivable. I mean if it was 15 years old and I paid $2,500 for it, that's one thing, but I paid almost $55K for it, and it just ruins the entire experience. The exception is when I'm on the Interstate at high speed, the car is great for that, but we only do that once every couple months, the day to day living with that noise drives me BONKERS. Literally my blood pressure spikes every time I drive this car, and not in a good thrilling sports car way.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The sounds are normal for the '16. I doubt the Honda/Acura engineers designed the noise in the new suspension on purpose. Maybe Honda/Acura will offer a fix to owners, but I doubt it. Suspension noises on less than perfect roads is not unusual in any vehicle, but SUVS/CUVS are more prone to hearing them due to the open spaces over the rear wheels in the interiors. These noises will in no way be cause for the '16 MDX being a lemon. I do hear some buyers remorse though. That is why everyone should take an extensive test drive over the best and worst roads before buying or leasing.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rexorg
The sounds are normal for the '16. I doubt the Honda/Acura engineers designed the noise in the new suspension on purpose. Maybe Honda/Acura will offer a fix to owners, but I doubt it. Suspension noises on less than perfect roads is not unusual in any vehicle, but SUVS/CUVS are more prone to hearing them due to the open spaces over the rear wheels in the interiors. These noises will in no way be cause for the '16 MDX being a lemon. I do hear some buyers remorse though. That is why everyone should take an extensive test drive over the best and worst roads before buying or leasing.
I never stated it's a lemon issue, although I wish it was. I've owned a lot of SUVs including older Explorers, X5s, Volvos, a Gen1 MDX, 4Runner, Sequoia, etc. and it is not difficult to make a quiet SUV...
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, not a lemon but certainly a design flaw that Honda/Acura arrogantly dismisses with an "oh that, that's normal". Since encountering the problem I've driven a Lexus, Lincoln, Infinity and Jeep Overland and none display anything close to that noise. I'm guessing with the next design change the noise will be gone without Acura ever acknowledging it ever existed. ive already determined to bite the bullet and trade it unless I can find a fix. An expensive introduction to my first and last Honda.
By the way, I've helped the noise and ride a bit by lowering the cold air pressure in the tires from the recommended 35# to 32. Not a good solution but, under the circumstances, one I'm willing to live with.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Calico5888
No, not a lemon but certainly a design flaw that Honda/Acura arrogantly dismisses with an "oh that, that's normal". Since encountering the problem I've driven a Lexus, Lincoln, Infinity and Jeep Overland and none display anything close to that noise. I'm guessing with the next design change the noise will be gone without Acura ever acknowledging it ever existed. ive already determined to bite the bullet and trade it unless I can find a fix. An expensive introduction to my first and last Honda.
By the way, I've helped the noise and ride a bit by lowering the cold air pressure in the tires from the recommended 35# to 32. Not a good solution but, under the circumstances, one I'm willing to live with.
I hear you, my colleague has a newish Jeep GC, great car, great ride and it definitely feels more solid/less fragile than the MDX. The MDX however is more nimble and overall I like the premise of the vehicle more (3 rows, better economy, assumed better reliability), but the sounds this car makes around town are horrible.

I have nitrogen filled tires, but they're regularly at 32#, even when fairly warm, so not sure I can afford to let much more out. It makes sense though, lowering the tire pressure will put more absorption of bumps on the tire sidewall, and obviously, the tire sidewall doesn't make this noise.

It'll be interesting to see if the 2017 refresh has any part # changes in the rear suspension area.

Last edited by BrianV; 11-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.