Update on ODMD for MDX 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on ODMD for MDX 2015

For context, I got a new MDX 2015 (Canada's Elite Model) 5 days ago.

I initially though I had not received the car with updated ODMD software as I perceived some lag in the map/navi, and the green traffic lines did not seem that bright. But I was getting album art/song names, etc., I was able to edit my audio sources, and I thought those were part of the updated version (BTW, by updated I am referring to TSB 2014-037 from October 31).

So after further inspection, TSB 2014-037 refers to update to Database version ST003.02.00, Software version 3.00.2803 which provides:
Audio Improvements
- Storing Presets for radio from main ODMD screen
- Song Information when available on main ODMD or Preset screen
- Play modes (basic audio functions) from main ODMD screen
- Audio source customization (Edit Order option)
Navigation improvements
- Full address entered by voice
- Traffic (brighter green lines, press talk and say Display Traffic, from map menu option to display/hide traffic)
- Guidance Volume adjustment using steering wheel volume dial or volume knob
-Address book/place category scrolling
Phone Improvements
- Phone pairing help (prompts while pairing)
- Call option scrolling
Additional Improvements
- Voice recognition settings easier to find under system settings

What I got in my car is Database version ST003.02.00, Software version 4.00.2307 (a higher, presumably newer /better version) which seems to provide everything listed above except the Entering full Address by voice part (still get the separate fields that require spelling), and the green traffic lines don't seem that bright. I thing the lag that I described before is probably 'normal' and noticed that when I move the pointer around in the map, it stops automatically every 500 or 600 m.

Any input from your own experience, cars, etc. would be appreciated. Maybe I am doing something wrong to get it to accept full address voice command, although I do as it says in the TSB.

One last comment, while trying to enter an address by voice, basically telling a whole address while selecting the Street field (I think the system expects you to spell the name very slowly), I said a full address, and it went to processing the received command but just froze the whole ODMD part (Top screen with the navi, etc) The bottom screen continued working fine. When I stopped the car, and restarted it (This is like something developed by Microsoft), it re-started well for a minute or so, until I got warnings from the LDW and CMS, etc. So I restarted it again, and has been fine since, still no address by voice allowed.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

Question

This software update is something I am looking into since I have had twice the Touch Screen freezing on my while driving, so any input is appreciated.

As I said before, the software is supposed to be:
- Before Update
database ver.ST002.01.01
software ver.2.00.2304

- After Update:
database ver.ST003.02.00
software ver.3.00.2803

Mi car was delivered (November 15) as:
database ver.ST003.02.00
software ver.4.00.2307

I don't have the option to enter a full address by voice.

Where it gets weird is that from the Acura Link app on my phone, when I go to Manuals it says there are 2 versions of manuals, depending on the VIN number, for before the software update and after the software update (I though the software update will make all models use the same manual).

Anyhow, there are 3 things (Owners Manual, Owners Guide and Navigation Manual) for each of the 3 models with Nav in Canada (Navi, Tech, Elite).
The problem is that for the Elite (mine), the manuals are for vins as follows:
<=503074 or >=503733.
My vin is between those numbers, so not covered by either of these two ranges.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Canada Owners please Read

Ok, it seems I am answering my own question. Going through the different versions of the manuals, etc. it seems the problem is that the software version I have is the one available for Canada. There are menu options missing in our version (even for brand new 2015 cars) that seem to be only available in US, and those options have a caveat, which is they only work when the language is set to English.

So maybe, because of our bilingualism and federal rules around it, if a feature is offered, it has to be done in both languages or not offered at all, therefore Acura decided not to bother, or at least they're not ready for it yet? This is speculation from part but is the only thing that I can think of.

Please other Canadian owners chime in. Any Canadian owner who can enter full address by voice? What version is installed on your car?

The main thing that I can't do: Enter Full Address by voice.

Example of an option not available in my car: Navigation Settings \ Guidance \ Street Name Guidance. This allows the navigation to include street names during guidance, for example 'Turn right in Main Street'. Mine can only say 'Turn right in the next corner', or 'Take the next right', I can't remember now which is it.

Ahgg, please somebody tell me that I am wrong and there is a way to activate Full Address by Voice, or a newer software version that I still don't have.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reglian
This software update is something I am looking into since I have had twice the Touch Screen freezing on my while driving, so any input is appreciated.

As I said before, the software is supposed to be:
- Before Update
database ver.ST002.01.01
software ver.2.00.2304

- After Update:
database ver.ST003.02.00
software ver.3.00.2803

Mi car was delivered (November 15) as:
database ver.ST003.02.00
software ver.4.00.2307

I don't have the option to enter a full address by voice.

Where it gets weird is that from the Acura Link app on my phone, when I go to Manuals it says there are 2 versions of manuals, depending on the VIN number, for before the software update and after the software update (I though the software update will make all models use the same manual).

Anyhow, there are 3 things (Owners Manual, Owners Guide and Navigation Manual) for each of the 3 models with Nav in Canada (Navi, Tech, Elite).
The problem is that for the Elite (mine), the manuals are for vins as follows:
<=503074 or >=503733.
My vin is between those numbers, so not covered by either of these two ranges.

Nice info
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Re CANADIAN update for 2015 MDX:

I have a 2015 Canadian MDX Elite and I was just told that I can't get the update. My VIN does not fall in the range of cars being updated. Does that mean that my 2015 MDX was built with 2014 software? The dealer as usual has no clue and is not really interested in finding out. To say that I am ticked off would be a gross understatement.

Last edited by rgr; 11-29-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My letter says the update is free of charge up until Nov 1, 2015. That is for the U.S. Canada must be different. Looks like its customer that pays cost of update according to the bulletin.
If your VIN does not fit, does it mean you already have the update?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 AM
rgr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tman
My letter says the update is free of charge up until Nov 1, 2015. That is for the U.S. Canada must be different. Looks like its customer that pays cost of update according to the bulletin.

Car companies generally treat Canadians like second class citizens, so having to pay for the upgrade is not a surprise. I am not sure why my VIN is not included unless I have an early 2015 model that uses older software?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have an early VIN. Purchased my 15 in July this year.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tman

No I don't have the update. In fact it looks like I have an old software version.
Software version: 2.00.2305
Database: ST002.01.01
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

My car has software version 4, which seems different that the version 3 used in the American cars. My VIN is within the range shown in the letter you posted. Make sure you check not only the last 6 digits. Mine is a 5FRYD4H83... as opposed to 5FRYD4H80....

The weird thing is that, as I said before, the manuals shown from the MyAcura mobile app, point to 2 versions of the manuals, but they say only to look at the last 6 digits of the VIN. If I do that then, my car does not fall in either of the ranges (either <=503074, OR, >=503733), so there are no manuals for my car. I can't believe Acura is screwing up in simple stuff like this, but if the build quality is what it is, the infotainment/software is what it is, then you would think that it seems like they are just being consistently not so good across the board, including keeping track of VINs, versions, and manuals.

One last comment, since there are other things not present in the Canadian version, like having the navigation using street names for directions, I checked the US manuals (It seems MyAcura in Canada wrongly points to those ones), and every option missing (including saying full address while driving), are only offered in English. Since in the US French and Spanish are not official languages, they can get away with it. I suspect they can't get away with offering something only in English and not in French due to our bilingualism rules. This is just speculation from my part, but I have seen cases.

Originally Posted by rgr
Re CANADIAN update for 2015 MDX:

I have a 2015 Canadian MDX Elite and I was just told that I can't get the update. My VIN does not fall in the range of cars being updated. Does that mean that my 2015 MDX was built with 2014 software? The dealer as usual has no clue and is not really interested in finding out. To say that I am ticked off would be a gross understatement.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

I forgot to ask, do you have the rest of the bulletin? It says that a list of changes is included at the end of the bulletin.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 AM
rgr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by reglian
I forgot to ask, do you have the rest of the bulletin? It says that a list of changes is included at the end of the bulletin.
Sorry, no. (The dealer reluctantly photocopied that page only.) I am continuing to look into this and I will update here when I have new information.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

OK, the following information clarifies things:

Group A:
The following MDX 15 cannot have the software updated (like the 14's) - last 6 digits of the VIN:
Navi: <=503007
Tech: <=503137
Elite: <=503074

Group B:
The following MDX 15 can have the software update applied and came from factory without it (These are the ones listed in the Bulletin Service from Acura Canada). Note that some dealers are applying the software update before delivery:
Navi: 503008 to 503792
Tech: 503138 to 503555
Elite: 503075 to 503732

Group C:
The following MDX 15 come with the software update applied from factory:
Navi: >= 503793
Tech: >= 503556
Elite: >= 503733

The latest version of the sofware is:
database ver.ST003.02.00
software ver.4.00.2307

It is confirmed that the Canadian version does not support certain features that are available in the US version (only in English), like entering full address by voice (We can use voice to enter an address by spelling the number, street, city, etc., not to actually say the full address)

The MyAcura.CA portal, used also by the AcuraLink mobile application, has 2 little issues: It could actually have more

1- the Manuals section seem to address only Group A and Group C mentioned above. It forgets to indicate that Group B should use Manual from Group A if software update is not done, or Manual from Group C is software update is done.

2- For Group C (and Group B once the software is updated, as per previous item) it wrongly points to the US version of the Navigation Manual. That is why the examples there are all in US cities, and also mentions features, like entering full address by voice as being available only in English. This should not be the case for Canadian models, as indicated in the electronic version of the manual provided with the new cars, or when the software is updated.

For reference, other options absent in the Canadian version include the ability to use street names during navigation guidance (saying 'Turn left on main street', as opposed to saying 'Take the next left turn'). This is also an English only navigation setting available in the US, as indicated in US manual.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I really want the update for my 14 MDX Tech, the enhancements in my TLX are significant.