Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trailer Brake Controller

Hi Everyone,
I am about to take delivery of a new '15 MDX. I will need to use it to tow my track car/ trailer so I got the 5000# tow package.
Is anyone using an electronic brake controller on their 3G MDX?
I am trying to figure out where the brake controller plug goes into the vehicle harness.
It may be obvious but I don't have the MDX yet and I need to get the track car into storage ASAP (as soon as I get past the break-in period).

Winter has started here!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
When you take delivery, you might want to ask a service person the location of the brake controller connector. The owner manual (Pg 316) states where it is under the dash near the top of the parking brake. When you buy the wiring kit for the trailer hitch, it comes with a subharness for electric brake. See page 13 on the below instruction. Click on the link.

LinkDeny

Last edited by tman; 11-19-2014 at 01:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RSGGSR (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Cruisin'

It was delivered yesterday afternoon and I did not have a chance to look for the plug - I just sat in it grinning like a school girl while the wife and some neighbours checked it out.

We went through a broker and got fleet pricing but did not get the "Presentation" experience like we did with the wife's Mercedes.
However, they did deliver the MDX to my home and that was kind of cool - I had the car for about an hour before signing papers and paying a single cent!

"under the dash near the top of the parking brake" gives me enough to go searching. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Just to follow up
The connector plug is located just inside the outboard drivers side kick panel - near the E-brake pedal.
The connector plug comes with an excellent diagram to make connecting to the brake controller very easy.
I did need to add additional wire to lengthen the distance between the plug and the controller.

The rear panel is easily accessed by lifting out the trunk tray (similar to accessing the spare tire, jack etc.) - pull the cover, install the 20a fuse (I think it can only go in one spot)
Done!

I have not decided where, or if, to permantaly mount the controller - for the amount I tow, I probably will not mount it permanently.

I took the car up north to be put into storage for the winter with no issues. I'm really thankful for the break in the cold weather