Test drove the 14 MDX today

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014 | 07:09 AM
Racer

Test drove the 14 MDX today

Went to test drive the 2014 RDX today along with 14 MDX and 12 MDX. My test drive order was 14RDX, 14MDX, 12MDX.

My impression on the 14 MDX:

- The demo's interior didn't impress me at all. It feels like 90s and very plastic. The demo was the elite model
- you can feel it's heavier comparing to the RDX
- seat is wider and more wrapping compared to RDX
- the Acuralink features make me think my car will be more vulnerable to steal or broken in just by hacking into the system
- I don't like the lane keeping system as it tries to keep me exactly in where it is. i know i am not drifting away!
- car is taller and have to climb more than on the RDX
- headroom in the 2nd row center is somehow low. I am 5'7 and I hit the top when I moved from the side to the center. It didn't happen on the 14 RDX

14RDX:

- Coming from 07 TSX, the 14 RDX steering wheel feels much lighter. It's also smaller but I think I can live with it.
- No luxury feeling. It feels nice but not wow
- Would be nice if the cargo space is few inches longer. (length is about 32.5" at the bottom. less above due to rear seat recline)
- I like the exterior styling
- plenty of power and very responsive
- relatively quiet cabin
- much nicer audio system compared to my 07 TSX
- the one touch turn-signal is nice. think this will become standard on all new Acura vehicles

Comparing to 12RDX:
- 12 RDX is noisier in terms of engine and road noise
- power-wise they feel the same to me
- didn't feel the difference between SH-AWD and 14 AWD . I think it's because I get used to slow down while turning. The difference is probably more pronounced on snow or other surfaces.
- The 12 RDX console feels busier
- I like the tacho on 14 RDX more
- 12 RDX side-mirror is relatively smaller
- 12 RDX comes with cargo cover
- 12 RDX steering wheel is heavier and bigger than 14.

Like many others, I am torn among the two. I am also torn between 12 and 14 RDX. The 12 RDX is neat especially being $10K cheaper than the 14. I used to prefer SH-AWD but it doesn't seem to make a different on normal daily driving. The MDX is nice and big, which kinda guarantees driver and passenger comforts, with plenty of cargo space (if you plan to keep the 3rd row down).
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:17 AM
Advanced

Nice comparison. For $10k delta, I would choose '14. We have both '14 MDX and RDX and we prefer MDX mostly due to having two young kids. If hauling around people is not your priority, I'd go with RDX.

Last edited by sbkim; 04-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sbkim
Nice comparison. For $10k delta, I would choose '14. We have both '14 MDX and RDX and we prefer MDX mostly due to having two young kids. If hauling around people is not your priority, I'd go with RDX.
I have one 3-months old infant now so it's primarily why I am shopping around. At most the car will be carrying my family of 3 plus my parents with total of 5.

You think the '14 (we know it's actually a 13) is worth the $10K over '12 ? Mind to elaborate? The '12 is pretty low at 27000 KM (17000 miles) only too, but the road noisy is a bit turn off and concern for carrying my family.
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:40 AM
Advanced

Unless if I am mistaken, '12 RDX is the older body style? IMHO, I would choose the newer body with fantastic V6 any day. Then again, this is just my personal opinion recognizing that we all have our budget constraints.
The following users liked this post:
kareshi (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:51 AM
Racer

Unless if I am mistaken, '12 RDX is the older body style? IMHO, I would choose the newer body with fantastic V6 any day. Then again, this is just my personal opinion recognizing that we all have our budget constraints.
Yes the '12 is the older style with the turbo. $10K can mean a lot especially with kid. I would go for the top TLX myself if I am by myself.. I do like the 14 RDX more I think, although the test drive was relatively short due to rush hour traffic.

Since this is the MDX forum, I would talk a bit more about the MDX. The MDX interior disappoints me. It looks nice in the showroom, but once I got into the demo, it was a turn off. Not sure if it's just the elite (advance equivalent in US) model. I do feel more like driving a ship comparing to the RDX too.
Old 04-15-2014 | 09:00 AM
Advanced

Absolutely... someone's gotta pay for diapers and daycare RDX is perfect size for small family. MDX is mid-size and will def feel bigger esp with third row seating.. Oddly enough, I thought I read car mags commenting how MDX feels sportier than the RDX.
Old 04-15-2014 | 10:00 AM
Pro

Personally for me it would be a no brainer the old RDX was rode horribly (worse than my s2000) the turbo was loud and had a terrible response curve, it ran out of steam long before the engine did, it was noisy and the interior was cheap for a "luxury" car. THe new RDX is leagues ahead in refinement without losing much in the performance arena, in fact the new one is noticeably faster and has a much better engine all around. Simply no contest. On the other hand, I think your impression of the MDX are a little clouded by $$$. The MDX is better than the RDX all around, better seats, better handling, just as fast, better ride, quieter, and more cargo space. Even the audio is better. THe second row is slightly less generous but that is relative, slide the seats all the way back and they are within fractions of an inch from each other, plus when you move the seats all the way forward there is still good space and the third row passengers are eternally grateful. The RDX is very nice, but its certainly no MDX in any category.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014 | 10:14 AM
Pro

Absolutely... someone's gotta pay for diapers and daycare RDX is perfect size for small family. MDX is mid-size and will def feel bigger esp with third row seating.. Oddly enough, I thought I read car mags commenting how MDX feels sportier than the RDX.
The reason its considered sportier is because it will in fact run circles around the RDX in the handling department due to 2 reasons SHAWD and a slightly firmer suspension setup. One of the few downsides to the RDX is that in response to the old one's crude ride Acura went a little overboard making sure the ride on the new model was comfortable. The RDX is fun to drive at normal speeds, however it you romp the gas you soon reach its modest limits. The MDX, on the other side, can drive enthusiasticly with ease. The chassis feels it could take quite a bit more than the somewhat modest engine output can dish out. By using the same basic engine the RDX is somewhat overpowered and the MDX somewhat underpowered the result is almost identical straight line acceleration but much better handling on the MDX side of the equation. There is simply no way to get around the fact that the RDX is a CRV with a big engine, the CRV is excellent but designed for a sedate comfy ride, not carving corners.

Last edited by RL06tech; 04-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2014 | 10:53 AM
mrgold35

I would scratch the 12 RDX off the list as a family hauler and replace with a 10-13 MDX tech or Advance on your list. The RDX is a hammer and it can do this as well or better than any CUV the same size/cost (especially with Hondata + ETS intercooler + Eibach springs). It is a great commuter CUV or short trips vacation vehicle. Unfortunately, on long trips it does have a lot of road noise from the tires and space is always a little short (roof rack and cargo box helps). It will not take long to out grow the RDX if you have more than one kid.

10-13 MDX Advance (with or without Entertainment) would be in the same range as the 14 RDX/MDX. The MDX has a few more tools in the tool box to handle a wider range of driving needs. The 10-13 MDX Adv will have more features/safety/tech than the 14 RDX/MDX tech for the same price or cheaper. The only downside is mpgs; but, it could take you years to make up the vehicle price difference on the +14 RDX/MDX compared to fuel savings depending on the models. The 10-13 MDX is a MMC and you should have less issues down the road compared to a 1st or 2nd model year of the current +14 MDX/RDX.

When Acura does the MMC on the current MDX and RDX, then you can trade the 10-13 MDX for a more solid long term vehicle (my plan).

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-15-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2014 | 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I would scratch the 12 RDX off the list as a family hauler and replace with a 10-13 MDX tech or Advance on your list. The RDX is a hammer and it can do this as well or better than any CUV the same size/cost (especially with Hondata + ETS intercooler + Eibach springs). It is a great commuter CUV or short trips vacation vehicle. Unfortunately, on long trips it does have a lot of road noise from the tires and space is always a little short (roof rack and cargo box helps). It will not take long to out grow the RDX if you have more than one kid.

10-13 MDX Advance (with or without Entertainment) would be in the same range as the 14 RDX/MDX. The MDX has a few more tools in the tool box to handle a wider range of driving needs. The 10-13 MDX Adv will have more features/safety/tech than the 14 RDX/MDX tech for the same price or cheaper. The only downside is mpgs; but, it could take you years to make up the vehicle price difference on the +14 RDX/MDX compared to fuel savings depending on the models. The 10-13 MDX is a MMC and you should have less issues down the road compared to a 1st or 2nd model year of the current +14 MDX/RDX.

When Acura does the MMC on the current MDX and RDX, then you can trade the 10-13 MDX for a more solid long term vehicle (my plan).
I think I am settled for 14RDX now. The MDX is nice but I prefer a smaller vehicle for now. I haven't looked at the 13MDX (it's actually hard to find) interior but the 14MDX is a turnoff. It's busy and I don't like the wood decor.

Acura should probably consider a 5 seats SUV that with roomier 2nd row and cargo space, but shorter than the MDX.
Old 04-15-2014 | 01:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kareshi
I think I am settled for 14RDX now. The MDX is nice but I prefer a smaller vehicle for now. I haven't looked at the 13MDX (it's actually hard to find) interior but the 14MDX is a turnoff. It's busy and I don't like the wood decor.

Acura should probably consider a 5 seats SUV that with roomier 2nd row and cargo space, but shorter than the MDX.
I really like the RDX, Im considering it as my personal car. However Ive been reading about good things for next year on it. Id wait if possible.
Old 04-15-2014 | 02:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RL06tech
I really like the RDX, Im considering it as my personal car. However Ive been reading about good things for next year on it. Id wait if possible.
Yes, it seems the MDX options will be available for the 2016 RDX model.