Sparklely front windshield when in low direct sun.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sparklely front windshield when in low direct sun.

I have a new 2017 MDX Advanced. When driving into a low sun, the windshield looks like it has hundreds or bright specks.
Otherwise the front looks fine.

Anyone have a clue or explanation as to what is going on?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Are you wearing sun glasses at the time? Some brands of sun glasses can cause streaks, checkerboard, or specks. Have you applied any type of wax or special cleaner to either the inside or outside of the windshield glass? Can you tell if it is on the inside or outside of the glass? Can you photograph it with your camera? Obviously, if in the glass, the dealer will replace it under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It's tree sap. Just clean your windshield.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Specs in the windshield

The gold colored specs you saw are a characteristic of original equipment Honda and Acura windshields. I've noticed them in windshields of my '09 Pilot, '13 Accord, and '17 MDX, but only under certain lighting conditions, especially while driving toward the sun.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When a new cars get transported from one end of the country to another they often get delivered in a large open carrier. Sometimes the windshield is covered but sometimes not.

Those little specks you see are tiny dust chips and rock chips hitting the windshield for 1000s of miles.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
only crashmaster had the best answer....every one of you are guessing what the problem could be...
Old 08-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayFox
I have a new 2017 MDX Advanced. When driving into a low sun, the windshield looks like it has hundreds or bright specks.
Otherwise the front looks fine.

Anyone have a clue or explanation as to what is going on?
Three thoughts come to mind. The first one being that you have many little rock chips (from sand or dust hitting the windshield, possibly during transport) and when the sun hits them they look shiny. I have had this with my last MDX, it was actually hard to see out the window with those specs during a sunny evening.

Second thought being a manufacturing defect stemming from molten glass power bonding to the glass surface. You could alternatively try a razor blade with water at a 30 degree angle and see if any of that stuff comes off, becareful not to scratch the glass.

Third thought is that the 2017 Advance model comes with a heated windshield and what you are seeing is the elements for the heated parts.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
is it worse in the rain ? I battled this issue for over 8 years including scraping the windshield with blades, I used vinegar, acid, etc to clean it, nothing worked. I even bought a porter cable polisher to polish the windshield,

- mine was similar to that, the wipers left some silicone/rubber residue like the video. It was so bad in rain, and night, like a white wall. When I bought my MDX, it was sitting on the lot for 4-5 months and it already had crap on windshield. My solution, the audi guys told me to use No Touch Glass stripper -
Amazon Amazon

It came last week right before I was heading out on a road trip. I only clean the driver side with paper towel, didn't spend too much time cleaning and its the most amazing thing, it cleaned so well in a few min vs me trying to clean for years with different products...

I think once you clean, you need to sealed it with rain x so it doesn't happen as often
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
There are many manufacturing plants that spew chemicals into the air that get on the paint and glass. They don't do as much damage on the paint because of car wax, but windshields tend to just schmear the chemicals back and forth. Even a neighbor spraying his yard with weed chemicals or the such can do such damage on a windshield. The youtube video looked like a chemical problem.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a final note: I started scrubbing the windshield with wadded up newspaper and Invisible Glass cleaner and finishing with a fine microfiber bonnet on a triangular head on the end of a short wand.

Afer several treatments the the problem has essentially been solved.

Jerry