SOB Paint Defect, Flaking Under Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
SOB Paint Defect, Flaking Under Tail Light

When I had my Accord I recalled many owners having paint flaking under the tail lights and/or headlights from contact between the lights and their respective bumpers. While washing and applying some collinite 845 wax today I noticed my 2016 MDX is suffering from this issue. Found other owners have reported the same issue, going to call acura tomorrow. What is the fix they perform? Realign tail lights or bumper and respray whole bumper or just touch up? Thanks guys.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I have a feeling the dealership will send it in for painting. I can't imagine there is much adjustment for the tail light fitment, if any. I thought it just bolts in and that's it.

The thing with painting- hopefully the dealership doesn't cheap out on who they take the car to. Poor prep work can result in this chipping happening again.

Curious- how would you feel about pulling the bumper off your self, and using a wee bit of touch up paint to correct it? I dunno how well that would work, but it's definitely the easiest and quickest option. Get the dealership to give you a free touch up pen too.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
My dealership took it to a local body shop to repaint when my RDX's clear coat started to flake on the front bumper. It was under the basic 4/50,000 warranty and they gave me a loaner the time it was in the shop. It has been +5 years and the bumper (or anyplace else) hasn't flaked again.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ My 2 cents but in areas where the weather fluctuates a lot with cold/hot weather, areas repaired that are flexible (plastic bumpers) are more prone to peel and flake. On metal and rigid parts, repairs are safer and more long lasting. Again, that is just my experience with some shops in Canada. If I was in that situation up here, I would do as TAcoBello suggested, just fix it myself with touch up paint and eliminate the need to have someone strip the original finish
Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 PM
FAP
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had same exact problem. Both the front and rear bumpers were flaking. Acura took care of the issue under warranty and I got them to approve my own body shop for the work. They re-aligned the bumpers after the repaint so there is a little larger gap between the lights and bumper now but at least it will not happen down the road. My body shop has a lifetime warranty with their work so I'm not worried if it happens again.

Acura gave me a loaner and the loaner had the same flaking between panels. Looks like Acura has a manufacturing problem. I also noticed a similar issue with my in laws 2015 RDX with their front bumper...
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I have a feeling the dealership will send it in for painting. I can't imagine there is much adjustment for the tail light fitment, if any. I thought it just bolts in and that's it.

The thing with painting- hopefully the dealership doesn't cheap out on who they take the car to. Poor prep work can result in this chipping happening again.

Curious- how would you feel about pulling the bumper off your self, and using a wee bit of touch up paint to correct it? I dunno how well that would work, but it's definitely the easiest and quickest option. Get the dealership to give you a free touch up pen too.
Didn't have any fear of pulling the rear bumper as I had to pull the front to install the fog lights but wasn't confident in the long term that touching up the spot would hold up.

Ended up taking the car to acura, they resprayed and realigned the bumper. Gave my wife a loaner MDX and I go to pick up the car today. They said they would warranty paint and bumper alignment for the life of the car if there are any other issues. We'll see how it looks, fingers crossed the paint match is spot on.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

i have a 2016 and stupid me just noticed this, i have extended warranty on it, i will take it to dealer and see what they say. Does anyone knows where i can find maybe a bulletin on this or people that have reported this, i just don't want the dealer saying it is my fault.

thank you.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Link to TSB on White Paint Warranty:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-029.PDF
Old 10-31-2019, 02:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
If I were you I would just take out the taillight, add some touchup paint, and then reinstall the taillight.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
my 17 is black. I noticed the issue last year...had them note it in the computer. Im not sure i want it repainted yet. B
Old 11-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Find out when the paint warranty expires, wait until about three months before then, and then get it repainted, because most likely you'll have lots of scratches and marks on it.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Every Honda I’ve had in the past decade has had this problem. My MDX has rubbed through to the metal on the tailgate and started to rust, I caught the rest of them before it got too far.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nv269
i have a 2016 and stupid me just noticed this, i have extended warranty on it, i will take it to dealer and see what they say. Does anyone knows where i can find maybe a bulletin on this or people that have reported this, i just don't want the dealer saying it is my fault.

thank you.
I actually took my car last year in december, i did not hear from the dealer for a while, i called acura to see if the dealer had opened a case, they told me no. Acura opened a case and they told me they were going to contact the dealer, btw, i was still under warranty, now i am not because it is over 50k miles, the dealer all of the sudden calls me, probably because acura called them, and asked to call them, acura called me saying that the dealer wanted for me to send them pictures. Now this is were i got pissed!! why this stupid dealer did not take pictures when i took it in the first place? well, i told the acura advisor that i wanted to take my car somewhere else, btw also, every time i took my car to this dealer, it always end up staying overnight and this is even with me making an appointment. the acura advisor told me that if i take it to another dealer that the warranty will not apply anymore and they would not do anything, they told me i need to take it back to the dealer, but i really don't trust that dealer anymore. I tell you, i have had so many issues with this car, throwing codes everywhere, infotainment and camera. DON'T BUY ACURA.