Replacing the tailgate outer switch for 2015-2017 MDXs - Step-by-Step instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Replacing the tailgate outer switch for 2015-2017 MDXs - Step-by-Step instructions

When TSB 16-031 was first posted here, I immediately bought the replacement part (74811-TZ5-A01) then promptly forgot about how crazy the switch was making me during the winter months. Winter arrived in Texas again, and trying to open the tailgate with a handful of groceries during a cold misty downpour by pressing all over the switch... without success... was the motivation I needed to attempt the replacement again this afternoon.

The instructions in the TSB seemed easy enough:
  1. Remove the rear license trim.
  2. Disconnect the tailgate outer switch connector.
  3. Remove and replace the switch.
I got completely stuck on Step 1. Older MDXs had screws that could be accessed on and around the backup camera, but my model had just smooth panels. I finally found another thread on a different forum and that was just enough help to get me started. In case anyone else wants to replace this part themselves, here are the steps with a few pictures.

First, the entire inner tailgate cover must be removed. It looks like a lot of "part" to remove just to replace this 3"-long switch, and it is.

The entire inside cover (dark hard plastic piece) must be removed first. Seriously? Yes.

Before you unclip the inner tailgate cover, I recommend removing the inner tailgate handle/switch. Use a plastic trim tool along the top and gently pry it out. Disconnect the switch wires.

Pop out the inner switch with a trim tool.

The tailgate cover itself is a bit of a bear. First pry off the inside trim that runs along the side of the back window. It overlaps the tailgate cover slightly, so it needs to be pulled away first. It is held in place with a couple of clips that pop out.

The very ends of the tailgate cover (where they overlap with the rear window cover trim) are held down by a removable clip at each end. Use a small flat trim tool (or a flathead screwdriver) to pop them out and remove them.

Although the hole is not visible here, this removable clip attaches the tailgate cover to the metal tailgate body.

There are three easy-to-remove covers within the rear tailgate cover, presumably for access to replace lights or other components. I removed them, although they are not necessary for this job. Having them popped out allowed me to see where the clips were located, making reassembly easier later on.

Starting on each end, gently pull away the tailgate cover. There is a decent chance a few clips will break... just be firm but careful. Eventually, the entire cover will come off, and you'll find it hanging in the air because you didn't bother disconnecting the two white courtesy lights first. Unplug the connectors for the lights and set the tailgate cover inside the vehicle.

Now we're getting somewhere! The rear license trim is held to the tailgate with 5 8mm nuts and two yellow plastic clips/screws. Use a deep 8mm socket and unscrew the nuts from the protruding bolts, then use some pliers to squeeze the yellow clips while pushing them down. This will free the rear license trim assembly on the outside of the tailgate.

4 of the 5 nuts to remove, and one of the yellow clips are visible in this pic.

From here, either stand on a step ladder or pull down the tailgate to work with the rear trim assembly from the outside. I wrapped the ends in towels to keep it scratching up the paint while I wrestled with the tailgate outer handle switch. It should be a straightforward replacement -- just unscrew the two screws holding it, disconnect the wire, and replace -- but it's also held in place with a large green clip. Twist the clip about 45 degrees clockwise, and use pliers to pull up one side and then the other. It should come out with some convincing.

Unplug the connector and remove both screws.

Installing the new tailgate switch is easy, but make sure to connect the wires first. I made the mistake of popping in the new clip just to find that I needed it oriented 180 degrees so the connector would reach!

Align and pop-pop-pop each of the clips from the tailgate cover back into the tailgate body, reconnecting the inside lights along the way.

The new switch works 100% better. It has a "click" feel to it that is easy to actuate and results in the tailgate opening the first time, and right away.

Hope this helps,

Jason
The following 2 users liked this post by TLXinTX:
Kazimodo (09-13-2023), NVAKeith (01-28-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Got this replaced free of charge under our Extended warranty couple weeks ago on our 2017 MDX. Agreed, new switch works much better first time and every time now, even in the cold. Thanks for detailed replacement guide. It will help many people.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice step by step

Thanks for that tutorial , nice touch adding the part number ,
here in Canada it is hard to find , there is the possibility to buy it on Ebay but it comes from the states and the extra " customs fee" is a deal breaker
(( part $65 CDN , shipping $ 16 cdn , and the surprise customs fee and the door when receiving , between $30 and $70 ))
I guess I'll look up the dealer to see the price , if the exageration is too much I'll wait it out , it only acts up in te winter .
Old 03-14-2024, 02:10 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

6 monts later I had the tailgate not open again , maybe some stranger tried to open my tailgate because everything works fine as long as I don't
use the Outer center switch .
I just wiggled my way inside via back doors to remove plastic cover , turn mini lever in there towards the right ,
tailgate opened and all works like before , seems like that small mechanism resets the center switch shorting out
== remote /, driver door switch ,/ and switch near inside handle at the right
inside the tailgate ALL WORK OK as long as the center switch is not touched ,
Still planning to ask a dealer here in Canada for price of the switch , if I order from Ebay.ca looking at $130 ( 70 + 20 + CUSTOMS FEE )
so it is a no go FOR ME since IT all works , even in winter , except the OUTER center switch that shorts everything .

more updates to come

Last edited by Kazimodo; 03-14-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
This switch seems to be sensitive to extreme cold. My replacement sometimes doesn't work when it's below 40F outside. Sometimes needs multiple presses before liftgate opens. Crappy switch!!
Old 03-19-2024, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
the bulletin was out long time ago and i got it replaced under warranty for my 17MDX. i do remember it didn't work sometimes in the first winter.. after replacement, no problem so far (touched wood)