New injectors, fuel rails and valve adjustment at 3,400

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New injectors, fuel rails and valve adjustment at 3,400

So a CEL came on as well as the brake light flashing and an electronic parking brake failure. The CEL said it was an emissions control failure. I brought it into Acura and they said there was a stored code and the recommended repair was to replace the injectors, fuel rails and adjust the valves. Not sure what the valve adjustment has to do with the others, but it only has 3,400 miles on it. Kind of surprised knowing Hondas reputation for reliability. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,712 Likes on 6,719 Posts
how old is the battery? sometimes a low /weak/old battery leads to obscure lights. Replacing with a new battery fixes that.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Wait, what has 3,400 miles on it? The MDX itself?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Wait, what has 3,400 miles on it? The MDX itself?
id find a match and some gas. Start from scratch. I would definatley want a different car. Im on my 3rd MDX, havent had anything like that occur. 👏🏽
Old 12-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
That's insane...
I wouldn't replace the car, I'd replace the dealership you visit.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sometimes cars sit on the lot so long the batteries get weak and need replaced. This could be part of the issue. Surprised they didn't check/try something with that first. At least they were willing to do the recommended repairs.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
Sometimes cars sit on the lot so long the batteries get weak and need replaced. This could be part of the issue. Surprised they didn't check/try something with that first. At least they were willing to do the recommended repairs.
I am not understanding the OP. Is the dealer going to charge him for the repairs? Also I mean maybe the valves weren't properly adjusted from the factory but new injectors too? Seems odd to me...
Old 01-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
I am not understanding the OP. Is the dealer going to charge him for the repairs? Also I mean maybe the valves weren't properly adjusted from the factory but new injectors too? Seems odd to me...
sorry for the delay in responding. I don't come on here that much. The battery is definitely not the issue and I have never heard of that. The car was a brand new '17 that had just come out as well. It could not be sitting that long at all. The issue was that the lights came, the brake light flashed, and it said electronic parking brake failure and emissions control failure. Do not drive and have serviced immediately. The car only had 3,400 miles on it. The service department couldn't explain it. They just said they were told to replace the injectors and adjust the valves. They had no answer for the brake issue that came with it. So far It hasn't happened again and I'm now around 5,300 miles. I do have some buyers remorse though and kind of wished I looked more into the new CX-9. The interior looks way nicer, it's around $6,000 less, and it's received stellar reviews from Car and Driver. Yes it's down on power, but it gets better mpg and it is just the family hauler. I have a tuned golf sportwagen for fun
Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Many Honda/Acura models have multiple warning lights come on in addition to just the CEL. This is an attempt to get the attention of the driver.

Think that just the CEL should be enough?

Here is the engine replacement that I had to do on my '05 because my wife ignored:

1. The CEL.
2..The temp. gauge pegged full hot.
3. the engine knocking and loosing power.

Name:  4-21-10008.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  99.5 KB

Yeah, really. Radiator lost coolant and she drove for at least 10 miles. Got home and said "Oh, by the way, the car is acting funny."
Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
someone once told me cars arent expensive...women are!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JTC05
sorry for the delay in responding. I don't come on here that much. The battery is definitely not the issue and I have never heard of that. The car was a brand new '17 that had just come out as well. It could not be sitting that long at all. The issue was that the lights came, the brake light flashed, and it said electronic parking brake failure and emissions control failure. Do not drive and have serviced immediately. The car only had 3,400 miles on it. The service department couldn't explain it. They just said they were told to replace the injectors and adjust the valves. They had no answer for the brake issue that came with it. So far It hasn't happened again and I'm now around 5,300 miles. I do have some buyers remorse though and kind of wished I looked more into the new CX-9. The interior looks way nicer, it's around $6,000 less, and it's received stellar reviews from Car and Driver. Yes it's down on power, but it gets better mpg and it is just the family hauler. I have a tuned golf sportwagen for fun
They had to do the same for my 2016. Replaced the injectors, fuel rails and valve adjust. I think my car had 21k miles at the time. The car shut down all the nonessential, Christmas lightshow with engine light blink. Dealership told me to bring it over as soon as possible. They had to drain the fuel and refuel it with new fuel after replacement of the injectors and etc (I had to take it back in to get the "range to empty" reset since the computer thought I had 900miles to the tank). I have to look at the work log from when my car was taken in. There were some engine misfires in some of the cylinders and apparently within Acura/Honda technical anything < 5 Misfire is considered normal. Service department explained that the summer fuel to winter fuel switch may have call the misfires. So far everything is running as it should, still love the car and no buyer's regret.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM

^makes sense, poor octane can result in misfires.

and with 2 cars having the injectors, fuel rails replaced, it could point to faulty manufacturing of those parts...

adjusting valves is common practice

Last edited by justnspace; 01-31-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
^makes sense, poor octane can result in misfires.

and with 2 cars having the injectors, fuel rails replaced, it could point to faulty manufacturing of those parts...

adjusting valves is common practice
With today's advanced computers, fuel should not cause issues or misfires unless you got some really bad gas with water in it. The switch from summer to winter blends is just the amount of ethanol they blend into it. Nothing more. For them to say misfires because of fuel is BS. I also have a 2016 VW golf sportwagen. It's a turbo 1.8. It's designed that it can run on regular or premium. It just makes less power with the regular. I have a tuner on it where I can data log my runs. I can see ignition timing, individual cylinder corrections of the timing, AFR, fuel trims, IAT etc. I mix e85 into it and I'm running about 8lbs of boost over stock. Summer blends won't cause misfires. That's smoke they're blowing up your ass because they have no clue why it's doing it. Basically it's a new part that failed for unknown reasons and they don't know why. Cars today are very advanced and can adjust to a lot of variables. They also have lots of electrical parts and sensors that can go. It just comes with the territory
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM

I thought lean conditions could cause a few misfires
Old 02-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
I thought lean conditions could cause a few misfires
Poor octane won't cause a lean condition. That's kind of what I was saying about the advanced controls of cars today. And if it did have a lean condition, the computer would compensate by dumping more fuel to riches the AFR and pull ignition timing. There are knock sensors to prevent pre-ignition from happening. So basically a misfire today is usually a coil not firing.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI My lexus rx450 and others have had injectors replaced early on.. it was knocking so hard, it sounded like a bomb went off.. My was in lexus dealer for a month.. I saw the notes, they swap injectors within the engine first, ran test, and end up replacing all 6.. some had it done early 20k some had it done later.. mine was at 75k i think..

so having mdx with injector problem might be similar