Missing features in MDX 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Missing features in MDX 2014

Although I'm very pleased with my MDX 2014, there are some missing features that should be addressed in the next gen (too long) or next face-lift model.

(1) Auto-hold feature: http://my.vw.com/2012-cc/performance/auto-hold

This is a great feature for stop-n-go city traffic. I found that AAC in MDX 2014 wasn't that reliable and smooth in a heavy city traffic.

(2) Electronic Brake System: I don't like to push it by my foot.

(3) Panoramic moon roof: JX35 and even Pathfinder have it.

(4) All-around camera: Why USA model can't have it? MDX 2015 should include this feature.

(5) Better resolutions: Retina is everywhere in digital devices. Time to see in a car.

(6) Cross traffic sensor or more radar-based safety features.

(7) HUD: Not sure, but to claim this is a luxury brand, the next MDX/RLX must have it.

(8) Finally, hybrid option. I don't know hybrid can coexist with SH-AWD.

Just my thoughts.... Also would like to see parking assist feature.

Last edited by printf; 06-26-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also have loved to see an Bose audio system upgrade.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXMDX
I would also have loved to see an Bose audio system upgrade.
Bose? Over ELS? I have yet to hear a Bose system that sounds as good as any Acura ELS (other than the 3G TL). Honestly other then the M&L (Lexus) and maybe B&O (Audi) I don't know if there is a better sound system in vehicles at these prices points other than ELS?
The following 5 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (06-26-2013), F23A4 (06-26-2013), TinyRK (07-05-2013), TLtrigirl (06-26-2013), weather (06-30-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To add to the "Missing Features" list (important to many audiophiles)
- 2014 MDX no longer supports DVD Audio playback with ELS.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 AM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Bose? Over ELS? I have yet to hear a Bose system that sounds as good as any Acura ELS (other than the 3G TL). Honestly other then the M&L (Lexus) and maybe B&O (Audi) I don't know if there is a better sound system in vehicles at these prices points other than ELS?
-Agreed. The ELS Surround System sounds better than my B&O in my Audi!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by printf
Although I'm very pleased with my MDX 2014, there are some missing features that should be addressed in the next gen (too long) or next face-lift model.

This is a great feature for stop-n-go city traffic. I found that AAC in MDX 2014 wasn't that reliable and smooth in a heavy city traffic.

(4) All-around camera: Why USA model can't have it? MDX 2015 should include this feature.

(5) Better resolutions: Retina is everywhere in digital devices. Time to see in a car.

(7) HUD: Not sure, but to claim this is a luxury brand, the next MDX/RLX must have it.

How about cooled seats rather than ventilated? Does anyone have ADVANCE that would comment on the ventilated seats' functioning? In my experience ventilated seats don't work near as well as cooled seats.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Husker4theSpurs
How about cooled seats rather than ventilated? Does anyone have ADVANCE that would comment on the ventilated seats' functioning? In my experience ventilated seats don't work near as well as cooled seats.
My 2010 cooled seats work great.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Couldn't agree more! I have a bose system now and it is garbage compared to the ELS system.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

1 RLX has it
2 RLX has it
3 An option maybe but I would not buy a moon roof yet alone a panoramic one.
4 Agreed
5 1920X1080 is plenty for up to 10 inch screen in cars.
6 Agreed
7 HUD for the guages seems unnecessary, it does not take long to check speed etc. Most of the eye away from the road issues are caused by operationg/viewing the 2 screens.
8 RLX SH SH AWD.

I would add the Sport/adjustable suspension from the previous model.
Why isn't Krell an option on the MDX?

The Accord has some great features that you cannot get on an Acura. If you took the best features from the Accord, MDX and an RLX then you could make a much better vehicle but for some reason it appears that one group has no idea what the other group is doing, maybe it has something to do with it being a corporation and all that comes with it. You have to believe that some of these features were designed by people that have never driven a car.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
1 RLX has it
2 RLX has it
3 An option maybe but I would not buy a moon roof yet alone a panoramic one.
4 Agreed
5 1920X1080 is plenty for up to 10 inch screen in cars.
6 Agreed
7 HUD for the guages seems unnecessary, it does not take long to check speed etc. Most of the eye away from the road issues are caused by operationg/viewing the 2 screens.
8 RLX SH SH AWD.

I would add the Sport/adjustable suspension from the previous model.
Why isn't Krell an option on the MDX?

The Accord has some great features that you cannot get on an Acura. If you took the best features from the Accord, MDX and an RLX then you could make a much better vehicle but for some reason it appears that one group has no idea what the other group is doing, maybe it has something to do with it being a corporation and all that comes with it. You have to believe that some of these features were designed by people that have never driven a car.
Thanks for the information! RLX already has many of them!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The cooled seats (ventilated) on my advance work ok.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Doesn't the MDX have the "hill start assist", similar to the Honda Pilot? It's not as nice as what auto-hold does, but it's something.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Other things it's missing ...

- power fold mirrors
- cooled seats ... These are not the same as ventilated.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fxcarden
The cooled seats (ventilated) on my advance work ok.
Do they feel cool or do they just keep it from getting too hot? I would prefer if they used air conditioned seats versus just ventilating the seats.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GbosilTLS07
-Agreed. The ELS Surround System sounds better than my B&O in my Audi!
Bose is crap. Bose makes overhyped, underdelivered, inferior products at all levels. Show me a Bose product and I will show you a competitive product at same price with better sound. My Bose system in my Enclave sucked, too. Bose belongs on QVC and that's it.
The following users liked this post:
GbosilTLS07 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Racer

Do they feel cool or do they just keep it from getting too hot? I would prefer if they used air conditioned seats versus just ventilating the seats.
On a day where your butt would burn, it makes the seat cool to the touch even thru clothing.

To me, it seems appropriate the way it is.

I do wish that they would change the heating so that you could do the seat or the back separately (or both together). My old 2001 GMC Envoy had that feature.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kyrra
Doesn't the MDX have the "hill start assist", similar to the Honda Pilot? It's not as nice as what auto-hold does, but it's something.
it does
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bourmb
Bose is crap. Bose makes overhyped, underdelivered, inferior products at all levels. Show me a Bose product and I will show you a competitive product at same price with better sound. My Bose system in my Enclave sucked, too. Bose belongs on QVC and that's it.
Your statement is very broad. Bose is one of the largest sellers of audio equipment in the world and if everything they made was crap then they would have been out of business a long time ago.
I agree that Bose can produce some average product, particularly in cars, but they can also produce some great products particularly for the home and professional environments.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The Bose in my M37 S is decent, far from crap, but not in the ELS league. Bose made a name by engineering very good sound form incredible packaging, they know how to leverage the acoustics of an environment and speaker packaging to maximize the sound and dynamics. That said, they have bowed to the commercialization of their name. When you look at say the Krell package in the RLX, you know Krell was not going to put their name on anything that did not sound great. Bose will license their name on virtually any level of gear. So you can get a Sentra with "Bose" or and M37 or a Audi S6. All that means is that for that given price point you have a Bose engineered solution. To mean that means some level of better audio design was applied, it is just for a given price point. The Bose name is used more as a marketing tool, than to specify a specific sound quality or experience.

Think if it this way, Mercedes will sell you now a CLA for $30K and a S-Class for well in excess of $100K, do you expect the same from both? They are both Mercedes right? Itmore defines the approach and design not the contents.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The ventilated seats are outstanding! I had them in my 2012 TL Advance as well. It's just MY preference but I actually prefer this approach rather than a fan blowing directly on me. I tend to sweat...A LOT and when I get in the MDX and use the ventilation feature, I stay (not trying to sound cheesy) cool and dry. Additionally with the 2014, when you put the climate on 'auto' it will actually control the Ventilation level as well to maintain your preferred temp setting (although you can always override and set to a manual setting). Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 AM
10th Gear

i would have loved to see enormous improvement in low fuel consumption.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by db22
Your statement is very broad. Bose is one of the largest sellers of audio equipment in the world and if everything they made was crap then they would have been out of business a long time ago.
I agree that Bose can produce some average product, particularly in cars, but they can also produce some great products particularly for the home and professional environments.
I think BOSE sound technology is pretty good compared to others
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Interesting points, to watch in time.

Don't expect to ever see a Panoramic roof from Acura or Honda. The question is asked, but for the number of people who really ask, it adds way too much weight and different bracing high up on the body and throws off weight balance. Honda/Acura are an engineering company and other than a standard sunroof, that extra bulk, complexity and weight are a no-no.

ZDX aside, where the glass roof and vehicle heavy weight were meant to be part of the design.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by emmanuelNigeria
i would have loved to see enormous improvement in low fuel consumption.
IMHO, an AWD SUV that gets 28 MPG is an enormous improvement in low fuel consumption when the previous model gets around 21/22 MPG. Again, just MHO. :-D
Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Racer

heated steering wheel, (real) wood - lack of, cooled or at least ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, pano sunroof, HUD are a must in a vehicle at such price point. To those that say pano sunroof adds weight I say look at the "heavy" X5, that will spank the MDX day and night in performance
Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

LED brake lights and turn signals. Come on it is 2015.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kostyan
heated steering wheel, (real) wood - lack of, cooled or at least ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, pano sunroof, HUD are a must in a vehicle at such price point. To those that say pano sunroof adds weight I say look at the "heavy" X5, that will spank the MDX day and night in performance
Absolutely.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
Interesting points, to watch in time.

Don't expect to ever see a Panoramic roof from Acura or Honda. The question is asked, but for the number of people who really ask, it adds way too much weight and different bracing high up on the body and throws off weight balance. Honda/Acura are an engineering company and other than a standard sunroof, that extra bulk, complexity and weight are a no-no.

ZDX aside, where the glass roof and vehicle heavy weight were meant to be part of the design.
And other car companies aren't?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Instructor

-Light on the outside doors handle.
-Why have to build in the U.S.
-Apps store (2015 lexus NX have)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Every car has a compromise b/w cost of vehicle and feature set. This thread is kinda ridiculous. For example, BMW X5 with PANO...how much does it costs? Does it not START at $56,000+?

Thus, should we compare features b/w Acura MDX ADVANCE vs. BASE X5?

Enclave? The one that is based on Chevy something?! Does Enclave have SH-AWD? How much does it weigh? MDX with SH-AWD is among the lightest vehicle in its class if not the lightest? Fuel economy? Crash protection? Does it have FULL LED headlights? Doesn't Buick also has FAKE wood too?? Minivan. Handles like a boat.

And you guys say that Pathfinder have something we don't? Ok...and? Go buy Pathfinder! Have you guys read the HUGE ISSUES with Pathfinder and JX/QX?? It makes MDX issues on this board like child's play! Crappy soft suspension. Poor transmission. It is the equivalent of a minivan. Cheap materials. Go to Infiniti forum...and read...you be glad that you have MDX!

Yes, there are features on other cars that we don't have...BUT, shockingly, we have plenty of features that they do not have!

The ONLY one that i do complain about is the lack of real wood...but thankfully, Acura did not go all fake wood porn like on previous generation...and kept it to a minimum on 3G. I wish Acura went metallic accent if they won't do real wood. Or piano black trim.

That's it. MDX is the safest, quietest, among the top performer in handling/acceleration, plenty of features at reasonable price, and among the most practical SUV in its class, bar none.

You want MDX to have more to be equivalent to BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes? Are you guys ready to open up the wallet?

Last edited by Tigmd99; 01-11-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Edward'TLS (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigmd99

You want MDX to have more to be equivalent to BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes? Are you guys ready to open up the wallet?
Agree.

You want the MDX has everything that the BMW/Porsche/MB SUV's have, then you pay the same price tags that are on the BMW/Porsche/MB SUV window stickers.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Racer

Nice feature of MDX? TREMENDOUS strength in its structure (see crash tests results) without weight.

MDX with TECH and SH-AWD : 4300 lbs.

Enclave? PIG...4900 lbs.

BMW X5? 4800 lbs. Mercedes M? 4750 lbs.

You guys think that it is cheap to achieve this...AND keep MDX quiet as a library on the highway?! MDX has HIGH-tensile steel, aluminum, and magnesium...around 65% of its structure! That ain't cheap!

What benefit from this? Spectacular safety. SH-AWD with great mileage. Class leading mileage without resorting to CVT. Great handling and performance...while being still quite practical (roomy, fairly usable 3rd row).

We have literally the best AWD system, bar none...but SH-AWD comes with penalty...gas mileage and weight...see prior Acuras with this system. Yet, Acura able to push through all this with great design.

And here we are comparing MDX to Pathfinder and Chevy Traverse twins!
rhhodges (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do I have to turn on the heated seats every time I turn back on the car? A real pain. If I turn the seats on I would like them to come back on when I turn the car back on.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ccvn0
-Light on the outside doors handle.
-Why have to build in the U.S.
-Apps store (2015 lexus NX have)
To me, the fact that it is made in the US is a huge selling point.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Originally Posted by rhhodges
To me, the fact that it is made in the US is a huge selling point.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

The windows dont close when you hold the lock button on the handle from outside the car... That's one super useful feature
Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced

(1) latches to secure/attach barrier/netting to divide cargo area and passenger cabin (to prevent objects from entering the passenger area in event of accident)
(2) ability to disable 2nd-row seat fold button (i.e., when child car seats are strapped in)
(3) auto-fold side mirrors
(4) ability to turn off auto-dimming rear view mirror
(5) full set of physical buttons for A/C controls
(6) dual set of visors (the primary one can be moved to block sun on the side, and a secondary one can block on the top of the windshield)
(7) height-adjustable power liftgate with foot-sweep option to open
(8) higher quality backup camera
Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM
JML
8th Gear

Visible Exhaust Pipes

This is the Only reason I won't buy one
Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JML
This is the Only reason I won't buy one

Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paigoomein
(8) higher quality backup camera
Yes Yes. Plus

Higher resolution display.

Or even better, a smart rear view mirror that can also display the image of the backup camera, like the one here Smart Rearview Mirror Camera | Nissan Innovations .

Quick Reply: Missing features in MDX 2014