melting exterior plastic trim!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
melting exterior plastic trim!

So I got my car back from the dealership about a week ago and thought something looked strange when I opened my rear passenger door where the black plastic trim seemed to be off. I didnt think much about it, then this weekend, I noticed my passenger side mirror housing was deformed with 2 moderately sized indentations! Then I looked at the same rear passenger door matte black plastic trim and it was bent in! I thought, WTF kind of vandalism is this?! No metal trims were damaged but the plastic pieces! I looked some more and the passenger side of the spoiler is deformed to the point it is no longer sitting flush with the trunk. the rear plastic trim under the roof rail are also deformed. I was very perplexed about the damage and thought the dealership did something shady, but it just didnt make any sense that the deformities dont seem to have any damage to the paint, and no sharp creases. Furthermore, all the damage are on plastic trim. no metal pieces are damaged. Does anyone else notice deformations in their exterior plastic pieces from having the car sit outside? My driveway does have some crazy reflective sun rays in the afternoon, but no other cars on the driveway have any damage.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Mirrors or some windows will reflect enough to melt plastic. Might want to into where your vehicle was parked.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by shenofjo
So I got my car back from the dealership about a week ago and thought something looked strange when I opened my rear passenger door where the black plastic trim seemed to be off. I didnt think much about it, then this weekend, I noticed my passenger side mirror housing was deformed with 2 moderately sized indentations! Then I looked at the same rear passenger door matte black plastic trim and it was bent in! I thought, WTF kind of vandalism is this?! No metal trims were damaged but the plastic pieces! I looked some more and the passenger side of the spoiler is deformed to the point it is no longer sitting flush with the trunk. the rear plastic trim under the roof rail are also deformed. I was very perplexed about the damage and thought the dealership did something shady, but it just didnt make any sense that the deformities dont seem to have any damage to the paint, and no sharp creases. Furthermore, all the damage are on plastic trim. no metal pieces are damaged. Does anyone else notice deformations in their exterior plastic pieces from having the car sit outside? My driveway does have some crazy reflective sun rays in the afternoon, but no other cars on the driveway have any damage.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
We had our driver side trim pieces replaced on our 2017 MDX for the same issue. Definetly get reflective rays from the sun in our driveway. Also 09 TL with same issue, have trim pieces to replace just not worth effort and wont pay dealer out of warranty to do. You would think Acuara would test these trim pieces under extreme conditions because it does look bad when the plastic deforms.
The following users liked this post:
shenofjo (10-18-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Where do you guys live where the heat gets so extreme the sun melts the trim on the vehicle?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I’ve heard of low-e windows melting house siding but I didn’t realize cars were also affected.

https://www.wral.com/glare-from-ener...cles/13614716/
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by NVAKeith
I’ve heard of low-e windows melting house siding but I didn’t realize cars were also affected.

https://www.wral.com/glare-from-ener...cles/13614716/
Wow, i've never heard of that before. Didn't realize that energy efficient windows can melt siding and also melt plastic trim on vehicles due the sunlight being reflected. So in this case it might not be the vehicle windows at all, it could be that the vehicle was parked in the "line of fire" of sunlight reflecting off of energy efficient windows on a house or other structure that may be a ways away.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
All the more reason to park in the garage and have your mirrors angled away from the car itself.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 AM
Instructor

My housing community was built between 2005-2007 and the red paint on the street gets burned off from the windows as well!! they have to remove and repaint the red curb paint every few years from the reflection of the house windows! With that in mind, I called acura about my melting plastic trim for my CPO and the lady was like... CPO doesnt cover dents and such... not sure what to make of this...
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by shenofjo
My housing community was built between 2005-2007 and the red paint on the street gets burned off from the windows as well!! they have to remove and repaint the red curb paint every few years from the reflection of the house windows! With that in mind, I called acura about my melting plastic trim for my CPO and the lady was like... CPO doesnt cover dents and such... not sure what to make of this...
Perhaps maybe you cars comprehensive insurance will cover it minus your deductible of course.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Instructor

I was thinking that first actually because I thought it was some kind of vandalism. now I am not sure whether to send it in and whether my auto premium would go up as well. quite a pain, but at least we know what it is!
Old 10-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Wow, i've never heard of that before. Didn't realize that energy efficient windows can melt siding and also melt plastic trim on vehicles due the sunlight being reflected. So in this case it might not be the vehicle windows at all, it could be that the vehicle was parked in the "line of fire" of sunlight reflecting off of energy efficient windows on a house or other structure that may be a ways away.
I am in the Boston area and low e windows is mandatory would make sense. Neighbors house is also aluminum which may be a factor reflecting heat. On a side note our steering wheel leather is also falling off in our hands, dealer tried to say it's due to oils, more like cheap leather.