MDX, 2019 RDX, or BMW X3 M40i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017 | 02:08 AM
Instructor

MDX, 2019 RDX, or BMW X3 M40i?

As above, I'm looking for a suv to replace my wife's 2009 Honda Civic EX. I have the 2016 Acura ILX aspec tech plus with 23,000 miles, bought in March 2015. Yes low miles on the ilx because I took it to Korea when I went to Osan AB. We're looking at SUVs as our next car since we just got married and have no kids yet. I'm stationed now at my home in Hawaii. I plan to move in June 2019 likely to Germany and leave the ILX here with my parents while we are overseas since we can only have one car overseas.

While overseas in Germany I was thinking of getting a BMW X3 M40i pretty much loaded with the safety features and tech package, cold weather package with this. Considering it may cost nearly $67,250 for this build DECMRIX7 for a X4, i maybe able to get nearly $6500 through military sales and tax free since I'll be driving it in germany for at least 6 months. Plus wife will bring her civic with us to trade in for possibly $6k so it'll be $54,750. These are theoretical numbers since price for the new X3 isn't out yet. Still it'll likely be more expensive than a fully loaded 2019 RDX. It'll be slightly cheaper than a fully loaded MDX sport hybrid. However I'd be able to get a "good deal" with my long time high school friend who works at acura as a salesman for many years now so it'll like be much cheaper than MSRP but I'm not sure yet on how much cheaper.

So im in this dilemma on which suv to get. I drove the Current X3 Msport and it's a blast to drive and feels like a car when driving it. The same was with the RDX and mdx. The mdx sport hybrid of course was fun and it also drives like a car and dang the DCT is so smooth reminds me of my ILX and love it. The RDX is also something to look forward to also. I'm not sure which car would be "best for me" kind of thing as I'm in this situation lol. Though the BMW would be a blast to drive and the RDX economical and fun, the MDX keeps coming back to my mind and comparing my friends BMW X5 2015, the MdX seems like a great SUV for a awesome price for the space you get, tech and gas mileage. What do you think??

Last edited by Nurseman74; 07-17-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2018 | 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nurseman74
As above, I'm looking for a suv to replace my wife's 2009 Honda Civic EX. I have the 2016 Acura ILX aspec tech plus with 23,000 miles, bought in March 2015. Yes low miles on the ilx because I took it to Korea when I went to Osan AB. We're looking at SUVs as our next car since we just got married and have no kids yet. I'm stationed now at my home in Hawaii. I plan to move in June 2019 likely to Germany and leave the ILX here with my parents while we are overseas since we can only have one car overseas.

While overseas in Germany I was thinking of getting a BMW X3 M40i pretty much loaded with the safety features and tech package, cold weather package with this. Considering it may cost nearly $67,250 for this build DECMRIX7 for a X4, i maybe able to get nearly $6500 through military sales and tax free since I'll be driving it in germany for at least 6 months. Plus wife will bring her civic with us to trade in for possibly $6k so it'll be $54,750. These are theoretical numbers since price for the new X3 isn't out yet. Still it'll likely be more expensive than a fully loaded 2019 RDX. It'll be slightly cheaper than a fully loaded MDX sport hybrid. However I'd be able to get a "good deal" with my long time high school friend who works at acura as a salesman for many years now so it'll like be much cheaper than MSRP but I'm not sure yet on how much cheaper.

So im in this dilemma on which suv to get. I drove the Current X3 Msport and it's a blast to drive and feels like a car when driving it. The same was with the RDX and mdx. The mdx sport hybrid of course was fun and it also drives like a car and dang the DCT is so smooth reminds me of my ILX and love it. The RDX is also something to look forward to also. I'm not sure which car would be "best for me" kind of thing as I'm in this situation lol. Though the BMW would be a blast to drive and the RDX economical and fun, the MDX keeps coming back to my mind and comparing my friends BMW X5 2015, the MdX seems like a great SUV for a awesome price for the space you get, tech and gas mileage. What do you think??
No replies here? Sad. So did you end up choosing? If not, you should be glad that you've waited. 2019 RDX is probably one of the most exciting vehicle Acura has made since the Legend! (IMHO) Although I do think you are cross shopping a different category.... X3 M40i is definitely not in the same price range (or performance) as the new RDX. We are talking about 0-60 in 4.9.... Although the numbers are not out, based on past indication, 2019 will probably be in the 6 or high 5.

Aside from performance, price is also a huge difference. RDX should be easily 10k less than MDX or M40i. It's very rare people cross shop these cars but hey, maybe you need the room?
Old 04-14-2018 | 12:04 PM
10th Gear

How long do you plan to keep the car? If the plan is to keep the car out of warranty, then skip the BMW. Otherwise, enjoy the ultimate driving machine.
Old 04-14-2018 | 03:09 PM
Racer

I can’t stand the BMW. It has no redeeming qualities. Expensive. They nickel-and-dime you on every feature. Drives like a turd. For a brand that likes to brag about “the ultimate driving machine” their SUVs drive like crap. Reliability is laughable. HARD PASS.

I’d go MDX if you need three rows or have to buy something NOW.

If you can wait for the 2019 RDX and only need 2 rows, then I’d probably go that route, pending a test drive.
Old 04-16-2018 | 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree with p07r0457 on the negatives of the BMW SUVs. In addition, I have to laugh every time someone (on any message board) says something like, "As long as you're only going to keep it during the warranty period, go for the Bimmer!" As someone who did just that, I can tell you from first-hand experience it's no fun having your expensive car constantly in the shop (sometimes driven in, sometimes towed), out of commission for days or weeks at a time, even if the warranty is paying the costs.
Old 04-16-2018 | 03:15 PM
10th Gear

Per JD Powers and as noted in other posts, the reliability and overall quality of Acura has taken a hit. Looking at 2017, BMW X3 ranks 4 in Overall Quality, 3 in Overall Performance and Design, and 3 in Predicted Reliability. The 2017 MDX ranks 3,2,2 respectively. And it looks like you followed my advice! Unlike me, who drove several years out of warranty.
Old 04-16-2018 | 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

If you can get the Sport Hybrid, go get it. It's a very fun SUV to drive. LKAS is awesome (if it's not raining heavy). The car can almost drive by itself -- my favorite feature.