Loose front fender "insert" foam

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019 | 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Loose front fender "insert" foam

So my '19 Advance SH-AWD has been great - but I've had this somewhat annoying "loose" sound coming from the area that sounds like the glove box or RF door area. Sound is best described as a muffled version of the seat belt buckle hitting the side pillar when going over a bump (when unlatched). I've tried all sorts of debugging, and finally threw my hands in the air and am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. But today I noticed the RF door is catching on something soft when opening near the hinge, and I noticed there's a hard foam insert inside the front fender that's sort of loose sitting in there, especially at the top. If I move it around, I think that's the sound I'm hearing when going over a bump of a certain intensity. I remember with my '17 the foam inserts needed adjusting since both doors were catching, and it was good after that. Has anyone had this loose sound in their MDX's that was related to this foam insert being loose?

Trying to debug before I bring it in tomorrow. Goal is to have a tech ride with me to hear it - but if I can reproduce it up front, all the better.

thanks - andy
Old 10-18-2019 | 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I wanted to close on this. I went to the dealer and we definitely diagnosed the noise I was hearing was related to the loose foam insert in the RF fender area. Below is a picture I took before the repair. The view is looking from an open RF door into the front fender. The edged hard foam you can see on the top right is the piece that was loose. Properly fitted, it is about 90 degrees turned such that all you SHOULD see is a piece of foam that seals that area so you can't see anything forward behind the fender. Somehow mine was whopper-jawed in the fender. Replacement involves removing the inner fender liner and doing the work from the front towards the back. I can say that after the repair the vehicle is much quieter over bumps in general, and it really makes my new Advance feel more like I thought it should have. :-)

Anyway, check your inner fender next time you open your front doors and make sure all you see is foam blocking the view forward.

andy