Jerking transmission problem on 17 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jerking transmission problem on 17 MDX

My wife's 17 TEch is having less than 4K miles and this problem already happens. Car is jerking when it's kicking from gear 1 to 2 and 3 with very weak acceleration. On top of that, there is a weird sound when it changes to 3 or 4 gear (think of it like a sound of a bus/truck just passing by on your opposite direction or a turbo BOV sound). Wondering if any of the 17 owners experiencing this same problem. Needless to say, the car is with the Acura shop now and I still haven't heard back all day. I hope it is just a software update.
The following users liked this post:
ckpsc (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 PM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
we had a brand new 17' demo when my wives 15' mdx was in for service, it has 2000kms on it, and i experienced the same thing as u with the shifting, and in the city its awful, shifts between 4-5 all the time, ended up putting it in manual mode when in the city cuz it was driving me nuts, and out on the highway if u weren't doing at least 100km (60mph) it would shift between 8-9 all the time, very annoying,
Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Turns out it's a leaking transmission which seems crazy for a car with less than 4K miles. I'm very disappointed and clearly it is a manufacture defect. I hope this is the end of once it's fixed.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:03 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Oh hmm is it front the seal plate on the driver's side? The assembly folks sometimes twist or tear the seal when they torque down the plate onto the transmission. :\
Old 07-15-2017, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Yes it sucks to have such a major problem so early on in the ownership. But remember that at least the dealership is checking it out for you and fixing it and also that they built thousands and thousands of MDX's and literally hundreds of thousands or that specific 9 speed transmission so problems will occur herr and there.

Hopefully they are putting in a new transmission vs trying to reseal yours.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoshi
Oh hmm is it front the seal plate on the driver's side? The assembly folks sometimes twist or tear the seal when they torque down the plate onto the transmission. :\
they didn't tell me but the sound i hear is much louder on the driver side
Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes it sucks to have such a major problem so early on in the ownership. But remember that at least the dealership is checking it out for you and fixing it and also that they built thousands and thousands of MDX's and literally hundreds of thousands or that specific 9 speed transmission so problems will occur herr and there.

Hopefully they are putting in a new transmission vs trying to reseal yours.
wish i could control on the choice of fixing it. i'm very sure they will try to fix it at the least expensive way. Sounds like they know exactly what is the problem cuz they told me they had that very same problem with the '16 model but they are a little surprised that it carries on to the '17.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
I have a different jerking problem on MDX Sport Hybrid.
When engine not yet up to temp, and I am going down a hill from my house, the car will jerk but it is staying in same gear. The hill is not quite steep enough to not give throttle. The car is in D2 and it jerks with ever so slight press on gas pedal or let up on gas, but rpm barely changes. Its like the car does not know whether to engine brake or not. I can solve problem by putting in Sequential and shifting to S3. Odd thing is, that in D, I cannot shift to D3. It flashes the D3 several times and then returns to D2 even though rpm is at least 2500. I am going about 20mph.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Went on a couple small trips today and paid more attention to the behavior as I left my house. It occurs between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Car is in 2nd gear. I can reproduce problem when giving slight throttle. I can see engine switching between regen from ICE to power from ICE like the clutch is engaging/disengaging. Since it is in 2nd gear, the car lurches forward when power engages and slow as soon as clutch disengages. I can literally hold the throttle at the slight point and the car lurches back and forth several times at about 20 mph. In "D", the car refuses to shift to 3rd gear. If I switch to "S", I can shift to 3rd and the problem is mostly dissipated. Only happens while ICE is not yet at temp. At temp, I can shift to 3rd in D.