AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G MDX (2014-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/)
-   -   Idle-stop feature (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-2014-2020-414/idle-stop-feature-928090/)

kareshi 03-24-2015 01:26 PM

Idle-stop feature

Anyone has any feedback on the MDX's Idle-stop feature? It comes with the Advance Package (or Elite in Canada). Is it an annoying feature?

tman 03-25-2015 01:10 AM

My friend owns a Mercedes with that feature. I have ridden in it. I think its annoying and my friend hates it. They have to use a super duty starter, because the starter has to work every time after a stop. On the Mercedes, he can push a button on the dash to turn the feature off. He rather defeat that feature 100% of the time, but he can only do it while the car is running. Be nice if Acura will allow you to turn it off 100% of the time, like turning off Lane departure with a button. Something to ask when visiting the dealer. I have no idea what option is available if you want it off.

accord1999 03-25-2015 04:21 PM

If it's like the TLX, I don't mind the implementation. There's a button to disable it, but it only works for the duration of the drive and will default back to On (probably for EPA reasons). However, after a bit of time I've gotten familiar with the amount of pressure on the brake needed to stop the car but not cause the idle stop to activate. Sports+ mode also disables it, but since the MDX doesn't have that mode, I'm not sure if any of its other IDS modes can disable it.

The start operation is pretty quick; the engine automatically starts after lifting off the brake pedal and by the time my foot is on the accelerator the engine is ready to go. In spring-like conditions, it can run on the battery for a couple of minutes so it's useful when I get to a stop that I know will take some time to turn green.

The one poor aspect is that when idle stop occurs when parking and I go select Park but it strangely starts the engine again. It logically shouldn't do that, since the engine is going to be shut off shortly anyways.

E92Vancouver 03-27-2015 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by kareshi (Post 15378465)
Anyone has any feedback on the MDX's Idle-stop feature? It comes with the Advance Package (or Elite in Canada). Is it an annoying feature?

Test drove it today! It is awesome. As soon as you lift your foot off of the brake, the engine starts up. The engine also starts if you move the steering wheel.

It can be disabled by pressing a button on the centre console.

efrainp 03-27-2015 01:53 AM

Please change name on th

E92Vancouver 03-27-2015 07:00 AM

It gets better. If you don't want to use auto/start stop, don't push too hard on the brake pedal when stopped. The engine will keep running. If you change your mind, push harder on the brake pedal and the engine will stop. Brilliant.

beach109 03-29-2015 10:32 AM

Acura implemented it very well, and unlike many of the German systems, it's smooth enough many people don't even realize it happened.

Pens Fan 03-29-2015 11:20 AM

I would prefer if you could shut this feature off rather than have to do it each time you start the car.

E92Vancouver 03-29-2015 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pens Fan (Post 15383946)
I would prefer if you could shut this feature off rather than have to do it each time you start the car.

Like I said, disabling it is very easy with the push of a console button. Or, when driving, do not push hard on the brake pedal at intersections and the engine stays running. The other option is to leave the car in sport mode and it disables this feature.

mdxrebel 03-30-2015 02:09 PM

This is a cool feature to experiment. Like said above it won't activate until you hard press the brake.
But the question I have is how can can it save fuel ? I thought stopping/starting will burn more fuel or not good for the car.

accord1999 03-30-2015 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mdxrebel (Post 15385284)
This is a cool feature to experiment. Like said above it won't activate until you hard press the brake.
But the question I have is how can can it save fuel ? I thought stopping/starting will burn more fuel or not good for the car.

Testing suggests that idle stop is beneficial for both fuel usage and emissions for idling periods of more than 10 seconds:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/p...is_greener.pdf