Ideal Model Year for a used MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016 | 01:33 PM
Advanced

Ideal Model Year for a used MDX?

I currently own a base 2015 RDX that is collecting dust in my garage for over a month now while I wait for the dealer to call me to replace the airbags. I've been driving a rental Dodge Journey which isn't the most fun or comfortable to drive. I'm considering trading the car in for either a tech 2016 RDX but would preferably like a MDX. I've seen a couple of 2014 one tech with 45K miles for $36K and a base with 52K miles for $32K which is about how much I'm looking to spend. My 2015 RDX has 32K miles.

Is there a certain model year I should steer away from and could I even go as old as 2013?
Old 06-21-2016 | 02:18 PM
Racer

Well, if you're looking at the 3G models, 2014 is the earliest available. Personally, I would go with a later 2015 though, as the 2014 has a good chunk of bugs that the 2015 addressed and later 2015s got even more fixes. Also I would take a look through the TSB thread and make sure that some of those fixes get applied if you're making a deal with a dealer (especially things like TSB 15-001). The 2016 is probably over your budget and the transmission is different too, which is a love/hate thing for folks.
The following users liked this post:
GurlRDX (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 02:32 PM
mrgold35

Acura seems to build a extremely reliable vehicle after the MMC. I tend to wait until then to purchase new/used if I want to keep something way past +120,000 miles.

To me, the 2015 MDX tech models would be close to the same as the 16 RDX tech with the 6AT, similar dash design, LEDs, and interior look. The added bonus with the 15 MDX are the options of sh-awd and 3500lbs - 5000lbs of towing if you need it. The 15 MDX Adv seems to be the bang for the buck model with Acura Watch safety tech, solid 6AT with better mpgs than the 9AT, and maxed out with tech/adv features/entertainment features. The only issue with the 13 MDX is mpgs 5-10 less than your current vehicle, 13 MDX Adv/tech prices depending on mileage are not that much cheaper than 14/15 MDXs, Adv magnetic shocks are around $700-$1000 per corner to replace when they fail randomly if you are out of warranty.

This also depends if you need the extra room, tech, sh-awd, and towing of an MDX. It might be worth keeping the base RDX until used MMC +17 MDX with standard AcuraWatch features become available (I really like Acura Watch features).

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-21-2016 at 02:35 PM.
GurlRDX (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016 | 07:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Acura seems to build a extremely reliable vehicle after the MMC. I tend to wait until then to purchase new/used if I want to keep something way past +120,000 miles.

To me, the 2015 MDX tech models would be close to the same as the 16 RDX tech with the 6AT, similar dash design, LEDs, and interior look. The added bonus with the 15 MDX are the options of sh-awd and 3500lbs - 5000lbs of towing if you need it. The 15 MDX Adv seems to be the bang for the buck model with Acura Watch safety tech, solid 6AT with better mpgs than the 9AT, and maxed out with tech/adv features/entertainment features. The only issue with the 13 MDX is mpgs 5-10 less than your current vehicle, 13 MDX Adv/tech prices depending on mileage are not that much cheaper than 14/15 MDXs, Adv magnetic shocks are around $700-$1000 per corner to replace when they fail randomly if you are out of warranty.

This also depends if you need the extra room, tech, sh-awd, and towing of an MDX. It might be worth keeping the base RDX until used MMC +17 MDX with standard AcuraWatch features become available (I really like Acura Watch features).
Only thing I'd really like is back leg room as its always an issue with my tall 5 year old when I have a passenger. That's also about the one thing I like about the Dodge Journey is the extra legroom. Everything else on the MDX would be an added bonus but I don't want anymore base models! Since I know for sure I want an MDX and trading my current 2015 in for anything other than that would be settling, I suppose it won't hurt to wait another year or two until used +17 tech/adv models are available within my price range. It's gonna be tough though as I want one right now!
Old 06-21-2016 | 11:18 PM
Instructor

I just picked up a CPO '15 Tech with 26k for $38k. If you can, wait another month or two for the '17s to fill the lots then you should be able to get a '15 closer to $32k.
Old 06-22-2016 | 05:09 AM
mrgold35

My youngest just grad from H.S. and having the MDX really made things easier compared to just only having the RDX. I got the MDX for mostly 85% in support of kid related activities (H.S. sports, field trips, summer track, booster club, hauling gear/team-mates, etc...). Getting a +14 MDX will give you some extra flexibility and room you will need down the road compared to the RDX. There is always the lease option for 3 years of a 16 or MMC 17 MDX tech version if you don't put a lot of miles each year? Once the lease is up, the all new 4th Gen MDX will hit the road and you can decide to purchase/lease 3rd or 4th Gen MDX.
Old 06-22-2016 | 10:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
I just picked up a CPO '15 Tech with 26k for $38k. If you can, wait another month or two for the '17s to fill the lots then you should be able to get a '15 closer to $32k.
I did a random search on Autotrader for '16 RDX tech and "14+ MDXs and the ones near my area are insanely priced! Funny enough when I did the search for "any distance" VA had both models with the lowest price and mileage...but alas its almost 800 miles away from where I live. My local dealer is crap when it comes to negotiating and the manager who sold me my current car for a good deal isn't even there anymore. So I've cast my nest for 300 miles and hoping to get a '15 soon.
Old 06-22-2016 | 11:48 AM
Instructor

The MDX is popular around here and there are multiple dealers to choose from so I suppose the used market has a good inventory and dealer competition driving the prices down.
Old 06-22-2016 | 01:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
I did a random search on Autotrader for '16 RDX tech and "14+ MDXs and the ones near my area are insanely priced! Funny enough when I did the search for "any distance" VA had both models with the lowest price and mileage...but alas its almost 800 miles away from where I live. My local dealer is crap when it comes to negotiating and the manager who sold me my current car for a good deal isn't even there anymore. So I've cast my nest for 300 miles and hoping to get a '15 soon.
Virginia is very cheap for Acuras because of Pohanka... And it doesn't quite make sense to sell used cars for more than new in the area. I'm pretty sure at least a couple people on AZ got their new car from Pohanka and got it flat bed delivered to New York and Florida - That might even be cheaper than buying locally for you. I know for TLX's, Pohanka was ~$5500 cheaper than dealerships in CT (Their new cars were actually cheaper than ex service loaners were in CT at the time). Couldn't hurt to email Pohanka's internet department to see what kind of deals they can cut you for a service loaner MDX (They have TONS of loaners at all times that my SA said they would sell at anytime, but seems like they retire them around 2k to 7k miles if it hasn't been purchased yet.
Old 06-22-2016 | 02:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Virginia is very cheap for Acuras because of Pohanka... And it doesn't quite make sense to sell used cars for more than new in the area. I'm pretty sure at least a couple people on AZ got their new car from Pohanka and got it flat bed delivered to New York and Florida - That might even be cheaper than buying locally for you. I know for TLX's, Pohanka was ~$5500 cheaper than dealerships in CT (Their new cars were actually cheaper than ex service loaners were in CT at the time). Couldn't hurt to email Pohanka's internet department to see what kind of deals they can cut you for a service loaner MDX (They have TONS of loaners at all times that my SA said they would sell at anytime, but seems like they retire them around 2k to 7k miles if it hasn't been purchased yet.
I actually did contact one of the dealerships in VA but initially for the '16 RDX tech and they told me getting a car to me is no problem. However, the trade in part was tricky as I'd have to drive the car to them. I did send the sales rep information on my 2015 RDX and he is supposed to call back at the end of the week to see if I was able to get roadside to jump start it since the battery is dead from sitting in the garage for a month. I'll try Pohanka's and see what they have in stock....I wonder though if they'll be as competitive with offering me fair price for my trade if they won't be able to sell it for much.
Old 06-23-2016 | 10:59 AM
Racer

I actually did contact one of the dealerships in VA but initially for the '16 RDX tech and they told me getting a car to me is no problem. However, the trade in part was tricky as I'd have to drive the car to them. I did send the sales rep information on my 2015 RDX and he is supposed to call back at the end of the week to see if I was able to get roadside to jump start it since the battery is dead from sitting in the garage for a month. I'll try Pohanka's and see what they have in stock....I wonder though if they'll be as competitive with offering me fair price for my trade if they won't be able to sell it for much.
Also, look into getting an appraisal at CarMax - I know that they have actually had a lot of trouble getting popular late model crossovers because so many people have been leasing over the last couple years rather than buying and just turning them back to the dealers, so they may offer a premium for it. As long as your state doesn't have a sales tax credit if you trade in, you might be able to get a few bucks more - And if your state does give credit, might be worth trying to get the dealership to match CarMax's offer in order for you to buy one of their cars.

I've had mixed experiences with Pohanka's trade in values on my ILX Hybrid (which is not a popular or desirable car) when I was thinking about upgrading into a TLX for a few months. They were right on the money (blackbook value) the first time, but on subsequent offers, they have low balled me as much as $3500 compared to CarMax (they encouraged me to sell to CarMax because my car would be hard for them to sell) but your RDX is in demand, so I'm sure any dealer would be able to flip it quickly.

Blackbook values for your car
Ideal Model Year for a used MDX?-capture.png
GurlRDX (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016 | 12:12 PM
Advanced

Also, look into getting an appraisal at CarMax - I know that they have actually had a lot of trouble getting popular late model crossovers because so many people have been leasing over the last couple years rather than buying and just turning them back to the dealers, so they may offer a premium for it. As long as your state doesn't have a sales tax credit if you trade in, you might be able to get a few bucks more - And if your state does give credit, might be worth trying to get the dealership to match CarMax's offer in order for you to buy one of their cars.

I've had mixed experiences with Pohanka's trade in values on my ILX Hybrid (which is not a popular or desirable car) when I was thinking about upgrading into a TLX for a few months. They were right on the money (blackbook value) the first time, but on subsequent offers, they have low balled me as much as $3500 compared to CarMax (they encouraged me to sell to CarMax because my car would be hard for them to sell) but your RDX is in demand, so I'm sure any dealer would be able to flip it quickly.

Blackbook values for your car
Attachment 37331
Thanks for the data! $25K from the dealer now looks like a low ball offer considering my car is clean....but I do have a cracked windshield that would need to be replaced. My State does have a sales tax credit for the trade-in. Unfortunately right now none of the dealers close to me have the 2015 MDXs...I've seen a few 2014s but I want to follow conventional wisdom and buy a '15 for less bug issues (knock on wood). Also I've had issues with the sales reps at my local dealership wanting to negotiate on the monthly payments whereas I want to negotiate on the sales price first then the trade.
Old 06-24-2016 | 06:19 PM
Racer

Not to knock you, but realistically, most cars will be in "Average" a scratch here or there, brake wear, tire wear, scuffs, etc will contribute it to being closer to clean - IME, my values of cars I take very good care of (no dings/scratches, just the normal wear and tear part + scuff) end up being at the higher end of average - Just wanted to make your expectations more in line. Best of luck on your MDX search!
Old 06-24-2016 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

Not to knock you, but realistically, most cars will be in "Average" a scratch here or there, brake wear, tire wear, scuffs, etc will contribute it to being closer to clean - IME, my values of cars I take very good care of (no dings/scratches, just the normal wear and tear part + scuff) end up being at the higher end of average - Just wanted to make your expectations more in line. Best of luck on your MDX search!
Thanks! I know the windshield being cracked will probably take my car down some notches but at least knowing what Acura will offer me for a trade and getting an appraisal from CarMax will give me a good idea on what the "fair" trade in offer should be. I've decided to sit tight for now until I get the airbags replaced before seriously shopping for a MDX. That way I'm not putting any more miles on the RDX and also gives me time for the 17s to hit the lots and maybe increase availability of the 15s driving the price a bit down. I'm also contemplating top of the line used and driving the car till the wheels fall off.
Old 06-27-2016 | 12:25 PM
Banned

Take your time and really check out the 2015 MDX. I have a 2015 Advance and still have issues left over from the 2014 model year. There are a half dozen things that are considered normal for an Acura MDX that I don't feel are normal. Just do a long test drive and keep the radio off and listen to everything to make sure you'll be happy with it. I have had a 2010, 2012, and 2015 MDX and to tell the truth they all drove the same but the 2012 was the best one out of the three for me.
Old 06-27-2016 | 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neoshi
Well, if you're looking at the 3G models, 2014 is the earliest available. Personally, I would go with a later 2015 though, as the 2014 has a good chunk of bugs that the 2015 addressed and later 2015s got even more fixes.
I know this is a bit off-topic, but is there a list of these bugs/fixes somewhere?
Old 06-27-2016 | 04:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I know this is a bit off-topic, but is there a list of these bugs/fixes somewhere?
Start here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...thread-906762/
Old 06-29-2016 | 10:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Regardless of how "nice" your car is, dealers will offer you roughly "fair trade in" value as their opening salvo. They will justify with Manheim auction pricing and so forth. The ultimate price really depends on your negotiation skills.

Thanks! I know the windshield being cracked will probably take my car down some notches but at least knowing what Acura will offer me for a trade and getting an appraisal from CarMax will give me a good idea on what the "fair" trade in offer should be. I've decided to sit tight for now until I get the airbags replaced before seriously shopping for a MDX. That way I'm not putting any more miles on the RDX and also gives me time for the 17s to hit the lots and maybe increase availability of the 15s driving the price a bit down. I'm also contemplating top of the line used and driving the car till the wheels fall off.
Yeah, you'll want to get that windshield fixed. Remember that it falls under the comprehensive portion of your insurance and I'm sure that you selected a low deductible because it is cheap. Make sure you clean the car well and wash it before you go to the dealer. Any little thing you can do to improve the look is better. That story about "we look past the dirt" is BS.
Old 07-02-2016 | 10:03 PM
Instructor

I'm biased here and my post might not even be relevant depending on your long-term plans. But, IMO, I think the 2013 MDX is likely to be a great bet for the long run. However, if you trade every couple of years, I'd lean towards the newer MDX for the better technology and better back seat adjustability. In the long run though, if you're keeping the car 200K miles or something, until the auto makers really figure out the very real issues with direct injection technology, I'd avoid DI at all costs.
Old 07-13-2016 | 02:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WNY PAT
I'm biased here and my post might not even be relevant depending on your long-term plans. But, IMO, I think the 2013 MDX is likely to be a great bet for the long run. However, if you trade every couple of years, I'd lean towards the newer MDX for the better technology and better back seat adjustability. In the long run though, if you're keeping the car 200K miles or something, until the auto makers really figure out the very real issues with direct injection technology, I'd avoid DI at all costs.
I haven't really looked into the 2013 so I might do some research as well as try to test drive 2013/14/15 when I do get ready to trade my RDX. My initial plan was to keep the RDX for the long run but would really like the extra room the MDX has to offer. I do a lot of road trips and back seat sitting so the adjustability might sway me more towards the newer model.
Old 07-14-2016 | 10:13 AM
mrgold35

One of the reason I went for my 11 MDX in 2014 was the cost savings compared to purchasing a new 14 MDX tech. My used 11 MDX Adv+Ent was $13,000 cheaper than a new 14 MDX tech fwd. The 11 MDX pros of sh-awd, more tech (ACC, CMBS, ADS, BSI, cooled seats, Ent system, heated rear seats), and ready for 5000lbs towing was too good to pass up. The +14 MDX can get much better mpgs; but, it would take me +20 years of driving to even come close to saving $13,000 in gas. I can get up to 22-23 mpg in my MDX if I keep it around 70 mph in 6th gear (much less mpgs at my usual speed of 80 mph up/down mountains).

​Add in 3rd Gen MDX 1st/2nd year bugs corrected, 9AT (6AT available for 14-15 versions), updated sh-awd, plenty of used 14-16 MDXs on the market now, and the +17 MMC updated styling+Acurawatch and the decision might be different today compared to +2 years ago.

The 13 MDX will feel bigger and wider, more mass to haul around, it absolutely hates 100% city driving and might give you 14-16 mpgs in return, a little less 360 degree visibility and a little slower to accelerate. The 13 MDX also has best programmed sh-awd for more "sh" and rear torque when needed, unique styling, drives like a much smaller vehicle because of aggressive sh-awd, ALL DAY comfort for the front and 2nd row seats, huge capacity for people+gear, and can give you up to 24 hwy mpgs at 65-70 mph.

I would stick with 12-13 tech version at a min and test drive the +14 MDX with and without sh-awd to compare them all.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-14-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2016 | 01:29 PM
Banned

I would personally stay away from the 2014-2016. I have a 2015 with the lingering problems from the 2014 year that are still being reported without Acura fixing the problems. I don't know about the 2017 but I have personal experience with the 2010, 2012 and 2015 and as I said before the 2012 was the best one I have had with the 2015 being awful. Of course every one has different experiences but it bothers me to see so many of the same problems I have had posted on different sites with no fix.