Do you trust CPO programs on loaner/service vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you trust CPO programs on loaner/service vehicles?

Hello, all -- I tried to price out a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Tech this morning, thinking that with the end of the year coming and the 2017s already out, I might be able to get some flexibility in dealer pricing, but no joy there. (I was quoted $47,700 by a couple of dealers, which is well above what I've seen listed as invoice.) The dealers did mention they have certified pre-owned 2016s available that were used as loaner/service models with 6-8K miles on them, which my wife is pushing for me to get because she wants us to have a third-row car, but I don't really trust loaner cars that much since I do believe people treat them differently than they'd treat their own and I kind of want something driven off the lot brand new.

My wife is claiming that the CPO cars have been certified so they're good as new, but I disagree... Has anyone had experience with the Acura CPO program, and has anyone bought one of the service/loaner MDXs? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The issue in the past with Acura loaner vehicles was people cheaping out and using regular gas instead of premium. Having the DI engines now that can take any grade of gas has eliminated that worry from dealership loaners (and lease returns). Another issue is the basic 4/50,000 mile warranty starts as soon as the dealership started using the MDX as a loaner (warranty starts with new purchase, lease, or starts life as a loaner). I would check on how much time is left and how long the extended CPO warranty is good for in time and mileage.

I will admit, I have tested the limits of loaner vehicles in the past; which, I would never do in my own (top speed, braking, testing sh-awd on tight curves, etc...). It really doesn't matter in the long run if you go new, used, or CPO unless you are comfortable with the purchase. I'm 100% fine with purchasing used with under 30K with the 4/50,000 still available as my rule of thumb. A dealer loaner vehicle would definitely be on my short list along with lease returns.

It wouldn't hurt to ask for a longer Acura Care warranty, free oil changes for X amount of time, and/or accessories to sweeten' the MDX loaner deal.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I wouldn't be worried so much about people driving the car to the limit, I think very few do that in their loaner cars. I'd be worried more about the "eh, it's a loaner, who cares" mentality where people aren't as careful with the interior, parking far to prevent door dings, accelerating through speed bumps, etc. My Acura dealership I go to doesn't really keep up their loaners that well. They're not gross on the inside, but not particularly clean either, unlike the Lexus dealer I take my GX to which has SPOTLESS loaners.

But if the car is in super clean condition, the interior/exterior are in good shape, there aren't any funky smells on the inside, and you're getting a good deal, I don't see the problem going with the loaner. Plus 6-8k miles really is barely any driving. I believe Acura's loaners are gently driven, as probably 95% of Acura owners don't drive their cars rough. If you're really conscious about how the MDX was treated, ask the salesman to grab the keys of a couple MDX loaners to see what shape they're in and check how they keep up with the loaners.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
With that little miles i think you should be good. My TL is cpo. Purchased with 2k on it. Ive had it for 2 years and (knock on wood) its been great (minus the front airbag and prop shaft recalls).
I also think you get an extra yr of coverage with the cpo program. My TL is a 13', but was loaner starting at end of 12'. Im covered until 2018 (according to acura care card).
I would feel very comfortable making that purchase. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My preferred Acura dealer has never given me a filthy loaner. All their loaners are clean, inside and out. I would have no trouble purchasing one of their loaners; the only problem I have is that they don't loan the Advance trim on any of their cars, hence no opportunity to score a deal on one.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased a CPO TLX loaner, it was 2 years old and had 5k miles. You just need to test drive the vehicle, I had the vehicle for 2 months and it works fine. What the CPO did for me is add 1 year warranty on top of the current warranty. That is pretty much it. I think the arguments on this thread goes down to customer service, mine was clean and spotless when I received mine. No defects of any sorts. If you got a filthy car at the dealership, go to a different dealership.