Differences between US and Canadian 2017 MDX... at least on the websites

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Differences between US and Canadian 2017 MDX... at least on the websites

The Canadian Acura website finally have the 2017 MDX configurator up and running! I am happy to see that there is virtually no change in the pricing, when compared to the 2016 pricing, whereas there seems to be an increase with the US pricing. Anyway, there are several interesting differences which I notice:

1. The "Advance" wheels on the US model are now the "Tech package" wheels for the Canadian model, whereas the "Elite" wheels for the Canadian model are the "Tech package" wheels for the US model! Isn't that confusing? :-)

2. The US model has the beautiful brown interior ("espresso" in the States, but "saddle brown" in Canada) which seems to come with the white colour only, whereas in Canada, it comes with either white or black.

3. The second row captain's chair arrangement does NOT seem to be an option in Canada!!!

4. The bumper trim for the Elite model in Canada seems to be colour-coordinated with the body colour, whereas the Advance trim in the US seems to have the black plastic cover. I wonder if that is just a photo mistake?

I think that the revised MDX seems to be a pretty all-rounded package. Let's see how it will fight against the Volvo XC90, which I seem to see everywhere here in Calgary.... well, so is the MDX, actually... LOL
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
The Canadian Acura website finally have the 2017 MDX configurator up and running! I am happy to see that there is virtually no change in the pricing, when compared to the 2016 pricing, whereas there seems to be an increase with the US pricing. Anyway, there are several interesting differences which I notice:

1. The "Advance" wheels on the US model are now the "Tech package" wheels for the Canadian model, whereas the "Elite" wheels for the Canadian model are the "Tech package" wheels for the US model! Isn't that confusing? :-)

2. The US model has the beautiful brown interior ("espresso" in the States, but "saddle brown" in Canada) which seems to come with the white colour only, whereas in Canada, it comes with either white or black.

3. The second row captain's chair arrangement does NOT seem to be an option in Canada!!!

4. The bumper trim for the Elite model in Canada seems to be colour-coordinated with the body colour, whereas the Advance trim in the US seems to have the black plastic cover. I wonder if that is just a photo mistake?

I think that the revised MDX seems to be a pretty all-rounded package. Let's see how it will fight against the Volvo XC90, which I seem to see everywhere here in Calgary.... well, so is the MDX, actually... LOL
I went to one of my local acura dealers last week. Couldn't see the 2017 there yet. Also the one thing that stuck out to me was FINALLY the availability of 20" factory wheels! I mean damn! You could get 20's on the ford edge, Murano, cx9, touareg, x5, ml, cayenne.....etc FOR YEARS. They don't look sinfully ugly either!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I was checking it on unhaggle few days ago and there's an option of 6P MDX to select. I think it's coming
Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I went to one of my local acura dealers last week. Couldn't see the 2017 there yet. Also the one thing that stuck out to me was FINALLY the availability of 20" factory wheels! I mean damn! You could get 20's on the ford edge, Murano, cx9, touareg, x5, ml, cayenne.....etc FOR YEARS. They don't look sinfully ugly either!
I'm not quite sure what the attraction of big wheels on an SUV is. In order to go up in size, they reduce the sidewall so comfort and handling both suffer. Larger wheels also mean that there is a greater chance of wheel rim damage from crubs and have you priced the replacement tires?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
I'm not quite sure what the attraction of big wheels on an SUV is. In order to go up in size, they reduce the sidewall so comfort and handling both suffer. Larger wheels also mean that there is a greater chance of wheel rim damage from crubs and have you priced the replacement tires?
While I agree that big rims on a proper suv are useless, but let's be real 99.9% of crossovers never see more than a parking lot. I personally like the visual appeal of big fat wheels on big rims, but within reason. I feel like 18's are a touch too small and 20's a touch too big. Also with a smaller sidewall, wouldn't that decrease body roll due to less soft rubber flexing?

With what I mentioned above, and to answer your question. You would think 19's would be the perfect balance for me, then you see the ridiculous $500-$600 per tire price and it turns my stomach. 19's are even more expensive than 20's! But in all cases the 18's are still pretty expensive as well.

Obviously in terms of tire size, it is a compromise between wear, ride comfort, and looks. Hell they could have kept the wheels at 18, but gave us less nauseating choices!
Old 07-19-2016, 01:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

While I agree that big rims on a proper suv are useless, but let's be real 99.9% of crossovers never see more than a parking lot. I personally like the visual appeal of big fat wheels on big rims, but within reason. I feel like 18's are a touch too small and 20's a touch too big. Also with a smaller sidewall, wouldn't that decrease body roll due to less soft rubber flexing?

With what I mentioned above, and to answer your question. You would think 19's would be the perfect balance for me, then you see the ridiculous $500-$600 per tire price and it turns my stomach. 19's are even more expensive than 20's! But in all cases the 18's are still pretty expensive as well.

Obviously in terms of tire size, it is a compromise between wear, ride comfort, and looks. Hell they could have kept the wheels at 18, but gave us less nauseating choices!
But too many people want the 20's for the looks - without contemplating the downsides. Car and Driver reviewed the effects of plus sizing wheels a few years back and came to some interesting conclusions that apply across the board. Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Old 07-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
But too many people want the 20's for the looks - without contemplating the downsides. Car and Driver reviewed the effects of plus sizing wheels a few years back and came to some interesting conclusions that apply across the board. Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I agree, I like the looks but also realize there are significant disadvantages to going with such large tires. Such as the fuel economy, reduction in acceleration, added weight (sometimes), and cost. But I have to admit it is surprising to see that wider tires compromised skid pad numbers, though I would have liked to see true wide tire, like 275-315 wide tires vs the more conventional 255's on large suv's in the comparison.

Another note is a lot of people can get away with 18" all seasons during the winter here. But 20's are a whole other story. Even dedicated 20" winters are good for nothing.

The largest tires I have ever had were 255/55/R18. I don't know if I would like anything larger because I have no experience, I just like the look sometimes.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I agree, I like the looks but also realize there are significant disadvantages to going with such large tires. Such as the fuel economy, reduction in acceleration, added weight (sometimes), and cost. But I have to admit it is surprising to see that wider tires compromised skid pad numbers, though I would have liked to see true wide tire, like 275-315 wide tires vs the more conventional 255's on large suv's in the comparison.

Another note is a lot of people can get away with 18" all seasons during the winter here. But 20's are a whole other story. Even dedicated 20" winters are good for nothing.

The largest tires I have ever had were 255/55/R18. I don't know if I would like anything larger because I have no experience, I just like the look sometimes.
And there isn't anything wrong with going for a "look." That's what we often do when we buy things and that's fine as long as we also understand the possible consequences and additional future costs.

The size has little to do with winter prowess. More important than diameter is a tall compliant sidewall and a narrow tire - and the appropriate rubber compound and tread pattern of course. Your 255/55/18 tire has an overall diameter of a hair over 29 inches. Subtract the size of the wheel (18) and you're left with 11 inches of rubber. Divide that by half and you're left with 5 and a half inches of sidewall - not that much. Subtract an inch (if you go to 20) and you're looking at a 4 1/2 inch sidewall.- just enough to bend rims with a pothole.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
And there isn't anything wrong with going for a "look." That's what we often do when we buy things and that's fine as long as we also understand the possible consequences and additional future costs.

The size has little to do with winter prowess. More important than diameter is a tall compliant sidewall and a narrow tire - and the appropriate rubber compound and tread pattern of course. Your 255/55/18 tire has an overall diameter of a hair over 29 inches. Subtract the size of the wheel (18) and you're left with 11 inches of rubber. Divide that by half and you're left with 5 and a half inches of sidewall - not that much. Subtract an inch (if you go to 20) and you're looking at a 4 1/2 inch sidewall.- just enough to bend rims with a pothole.
Absolutey agree with everything you have said ceb. Thanks for sharing your input
Old 07-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I just saw the 2017 MDX at the dealership - with the Canadian Elite trim, the rear bumper is colour-matched to the body paint colour, rather than black plastic piece that the US Advance trim has in the rear bumper. It looks so much better with the Canadian design!!!

Also, the multi-spoke wheel design for the Canadian Elite trim looks better than the 5 spoke wheel which is the US Advance design. I am just so glad that someone in Acura Canada is making these nice tweaks/decisions to bring in the nicer details for Canada :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I just saw the 2017 MDX at the dealership - with the Canadian Elite trim, the rear bumper is colour-matched to the body paint colour, rather than black plastic piece that the US Advance trim has in the rear bumper. It looks so much better with the Canadian design!!!

Also, the multi-spoke wheel design for the Canadian Elite trim looks better than the 5 spoke wheel which is the US Advance design. I am just so glad that someone in Acura Canada is making these nice tweaks/decisions to bring in the nicer details for Canada :-)
We also got real wood trim, around view cameras, power fold mirrors, certain color combos...etc. I love whoever it is that is giving us the goodies!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Racer

I noticed that the Canadian model has heated windshield too. Is this feature also on any of the US trim?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Racer

We also got real wood trim, around view cameras, power fold mirrors, certain color combos...etc. I love whoever it is that is giving us the goodies!
The US model does have natural wood trim, surround view cameras and power folding side-mirrors too.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:08 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I have downsized to 18" wheels and tires for the winter and the ride is virtually the same as the 20's during normal driving. The 20's are a bit more jarring over potholes, rail road tracks, etc.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MTD
I have downsized to 18" wheels and tires for the winter and the ride is virtually the same as the 20's during normal driving. The 20's are a bit more jarring over potholes, rail road tracks, etc.
so 18 may be better for driving and 20 for cosmetic and $$$
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Personally I think the 20's look far better. The lower profile might make the ride slightly worse, but they will also handle better due to the stiffer sidewalls. A compromise Im willing to make. Regardless, even the 20's have a 50 series sidewall, so hardly low profile compared to most cars. My last car had 35 series tires on it and I didnt have a problem with the ride.

Cost? A stock 20" Continental tire that is on my MDX is only about $60 more then the same 18" tire.

My dealer also has an Elite with the captains chairs in the middle row, so they are becoming available.

Heated steering wheel is also standard (a great feature too) while in the USA I think its only available in the highest trim.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kareshi
The US model does have natural wood trim, surround view cameras and power folding side-mirrors too.
I meant we had those things in 2014, the mdx got them in 2017 in the US right?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MTD
Personally I think the 20's look far better. The lower profile might make the ride slightly worse, but they will also handle better due to the stiffer sidewalls. A compromise Im willing to make. Regardless, even the 20's have a 50 series sidewall, so hardly low profile compared to most cars. My last car had 35 series tires on it and I didnt have a problem with the ride.

Cost? A stock 20" Continental tire that is on my MDX is only about $60 more then the same 18" tire.

My dealer also has an Elite with the captains chairs in the middle row, so they are becoming available.

Heated steering wheel is also standard (a great feature too) while in the USA I think its only available in the highest trim.
Canada does get relatively more features, probably due to the colder weather. The price, however, is cheaper too, at least at the highest trim.

The 6 passenger version removes the entertainment system. I think it won't sell that well in Canada.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Southerngravy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that the Canadian model has heated windshield too. Is this feature also on any of the US trim?
Yes the Advance model comes with heated windshield. What it doesn't come with Ive noticed is headlight washers.

As some have said yes the 17 does come with all the other interior features they come with on Canadian models except for exterior differences.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Southerngravy
Yes the Advance model comes with heated windshield. What it doesn't come with Ive noticed is headlight washers.

As some have said yes the 17 does come with all the other interior features they come with on Canadian models except for exterior differences.
that's good. how useful are headlight washers? cars have been without those for decades, when would you use them ?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

that's good. how useful are headlight washers? cars have been without those for decades, when would you use them ?
I have owned cars with and without them. They do help somewhat with slush in winter, but it has never gotten bad enough that they were necessary. IMHO I like having them, but I mostly feel they are gimmicky in function and make a HUGE mess of the car which sucks after a nice cleaning.