Couldn't be MORE displeased with the new 14 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The creases and body lines do not meet up over the entire car, from panel to panel. That 1/4"+ gap on both sides widens and narrows throughout the "union" of the panels. My mom's WDP 14 MDX front bumper alignment is pathetic, even worse than mine - it is WAY more obvious on the white. I haven't pointed it out to her as she's happy with the car. She has now started getting 12V battery warning failures intermittently through AcuraLink. Now my sister's panels all look decent, but still not what I would consider "quality." You know, these problems I would expect (and have experienced as a former 1st MY cycle owner of a BMW 745i and 2000 E46 3 Series) from BMW. Not Honda/Acura.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
The creases and body lines do not meet up over the entire car, from panel to panel. That 1/4"+ gap on both sides widens and narrows throughout the "union" of the panels. My mom's WDP 14 MDX front bumper alignment is pathetic, even worse than mine - it is WAY more obvious on the white. I haven't pointed it out to her as she's happy with the car. She has now started getting 12V battery warning failures intermittently through AcuraLink. Now my sister's panels all look decent, but still not what I would consider "quality." You know, these problems I would expect (and have experienced as a former 1st MY cycle owner of a BMW 745i and 2000 E46 3 Series) from BMW. Not Honda/Acura.
Gotcha. I'd escalate the complaint to the District Service manager for Acura. See if you can do some sort of trade or refund. Have that person come and see the problems and point out your past Honda vehicle history.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Gotcha. I'd escalate the complaint to the District Service manager for Acura. See if you can do some sort of trade or refund. Have that person come and see the problems and point out your past Honda vehicle history.
Thanks. I've sort of already worked than angle. However at this point I do not have the patience to spend hours on the phone and all that. We all know to get to the top, it takes time and you have to work through the system. I've secured a discount on the next vehicle to offset the loss on this one, so as far as I'm concerned good riddance. I appreciate your feedback and thanks for not dismissing me as a "crazy." It seems people with legitimate problems and concerns are dismissed by others because they haven't had problems or are very caught up in being fanboys.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I've sort of already worked than angle. However at this point I do not have the patience to spend hours on the phone and all that. We all know to get to the top, it takes time and you have to work through the system. I've secured a discount on the next vehicle to offset the loss on this one, so as far as I'm concerned good riddance. I appreciate your feedback and thanks for not dismissing me as a "crazy." It seems people with legitimate problems and concerns are dismissed by others because they haven't had problems or are very caught up in being fanboys.
Or the other way round. People who don't like the car seem to find problems whether real or imaginary. Just pulling legs. There are people on both sides of the coin. Sales will be one of the factors that determine whether more people like it or not. So far it from the sales, it looks like the likability factor is up there.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by blackman
Or the other way round. People who don't like the car seem to find problems whether real or imaginary. Just pulling legs. There are people on both sides of the coin. Sales will be one of the factors that determine whether more people like it or not. So far it from the sales, it looks like the likability factor is up there.
Well, that may be true. But I believe the proof is in the pudding - I posted pictures of just a handful of my problems. Difficult to post a picture of a badly vibrating driver's window and an ipod not working. Trust me when I say this, I really WANTED to like this car. The quality and execution of the vehicle is poor, both in materials and workmanship. The drive is great, handling/powertrain superb, but all the other details are poorly executed from the touch screen interface, to the nav, to the interior materials, etc. People will lay claim that the automobile press loves the car and the car is selling in numbers. This is true. However most of the issues would not be discovered during a 30 minute magazine test drive or consumer test drive. I wish all the people on here happiness and success with their 3G MDX's - I really do. But as a long time, 12 time owner of new Acura vehicles, this 3G MDX falls well below what I have come to expect from Acura. My expectations are not overwhelming or out of the realm of normal. Body panels SHOULD line up. Windows shouldn't rattle terribly. Sound system and interface should work. NAV and touchscreen shouldn't lock up. Seat leather shouldn't be rough to the touch and have incomplete and lifted seams. I shouldn't get four warning messages everytime I drive the car stating my FCW, ABS, & VSA has failed. Or that my 12V battery is failing. You can't argue those facts. And ...I'm not the only one.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Vegas seem to be going with Audi, I wanted to find out from a friend who bought a new Q5 on build quality issues and well they are numerous. Just did a brief search on build quality issues for comparables to the mdx like bmw, audi, mercedes. I guess anybody looking for a flawless build quality on each and every car in a mass produced cars environment is living in a dreamland. Probably the bugatis may have that kind of flawless build quality. I have looked at the pics posted and still can't figure out the mistakes in the lines. If it bothers someone so much, I think it should be an easy fix at the dealers. Nevertherless, I would have taken my vehicle back if I were having the sort of system failure issues that Vegas describes.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Racer

Since Vegas seem to be going with Audi, I wanted to find out from a friend who bought a new Q5 on build quality issues and well they are numerous. Just did a brief search on build quality issues for comparables to the mdx like bmw, audi, mercedes. I guess anybody looking for a flawless build quality on each and every car in a mass produced cars environment is living in a dreamland. Probably the bugatis may have that kind of flawless build quality. I have looked at the pics posted and still can't figure out the mistakes in the lines. If it bothers someone so much, I think it should be an easy fix at the dealers. Nevertherless, I would have taken my vehicle back if I were having the sort of system failure issues that Vegas describes.
No manufacturer is perfect, stated that many times before. It is quite obvious on the pictures about the body panels if you look. Even an untrained eye can spot it. The dealer is well aware of the issues and the car was brought back several times for service. I've had 6 new BMWs ranging in MY from 2000-2002. 5 of them LIVED in the shop due to various problems from breaking (convertible top, brake failures, etc). One of them was a 2002 745i - if you know anything about the auto industry then, the 2002 745i is notorious. One of them was replaced by BMW. Only my 2002 330ci had no problems whatsoever. My buddy had a 2010 335i. It broke down on him 4 times on the freeway in So Cal due to fuel pump. I was ready to give BMW another shot, until I saw that all these years later BMW's were still just as unreliable as 10 years ago. After 12 Acuras I've owned personally, only the 3G MDX has been a real problem. Some of the problems are failures, others are poor quality/workmanship. I have to surmise that BMW is just not an option due to my personal experience and experience of trusted friends from recent vehicles. Audi has performed exceptionally in the past on both my 2009 S5 and 2008 A5. I have no reason to doubt that it will be a great car. Hopefully an SQ5 will be just as good. I'm not saying I'll never buy another Acura again down the road. The fit and finish of the SQ5 is terrific, as are the quality of the materials and execution of the MMI. However the Acura current lineup has given me no reason or further desire for purchasing any future Acuras in the near future, save for a new remaining 2G MDX. It is my personal opinion (whether correct or incorrect) that Acura has ALOT of kinks to work out on the 3G MDX and rushed it to market WAY too soon to get ahead of the forthcoming X5 and at the same time as the new Enclave. Acura Corp/Honchos have stated multiple times they feel their only real competition is the RX, X5, or Enclave. Acura has stated it tends to overtake the RX. Funny how NEW Lexus seems to be the old Acura, and the NEW Acura seems to now be the OLD lexus. Lexus has some eye catching designs (whether you like them or not, they stand out), great interiors, etc. Not since my 1991 LS400 have I purchased another Lexus product personally. I have to admit the LS460 F looks sharp. The new ES also looks sharp. Now I wouldn't purchase the ES solely because it's a FWD, but it looks damn nice - esp for a Lexus! Again, I would have never DREAMED I would experience all these issues with an Acura given my history with them. Even if the car were failure/problem free, the Touch Screen/clunky center stack, quality of materials (leather/dash, etc) and workmanship, etc has turned me off from Acura. Maybe if history follows suit and they offer the mid-life refresh as a 2017 Model, and perhaps a Sport Hybrid MDX with 7 Spd DCT and improved interior, I'll take another look. My mom's 14 MDX is now starting to get 12V battery warning messages daily in her Acuralink. Like I said before, her front bumper alignment is REALLY bad on hers and stands out very noticeably. Right now the only other Acura I want is a 2G MDX or TSX.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Racer

If it bothers someone so much, I think it should be an easy fix at the dealers. Nevertherless, I would have taken my vehicle back if I were having the sort of system failure issues that Vegas describes.
Talk about "dreaming." When was the last time you took your car to the Acura dealer (or anyone else for that matter) and asked them to re-align sheet metal body panels - fenders, doors, etc? Only a body shop could do that. I'm quite sure after it comes out of the body shop it would probably look worse or have overspray all over it.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I am absolutely baffled whenever a thread like this pops up.

Do people not do their due diligence and research before signing all the forms? I can understand if a car is a lemon, but all of the complaints seem like things that would be present on all production examples, and as such would be obvious when looking at others.

This is why a brand holds little value for me. Going with a given brand offers no guarantees. It's like you bought it blind, and I have no sympathy for you, OP.
The following 3 users liked this post by Costco:
honda_nut (09-26-2013), SkylineUSA (09-30-2013), TSXmeister (10-09-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Costco

Do people not do their due diligence and research before signing all the forms? I can understand if a car is a lemon, but all of the complaints seem like things that would be present on all production examples, and as such would be obvious when looking at others.

This is why a brand holds little value for me. Going with a given brand offers no guarantees. It's like you bought it blind, and I have no sympathy for you, OP.
That's cool, and I respect your opinion. I did advise previously that I made a mistake buying the car, sight unseen, based on my drive of a FWD Base. Again, learned my lesson. I believe the 3G MDX I own IS a lemon. However, one cannot figure all of this out on a 20 or 30 minute test drive. If it would have been a model that's been out for a while, I'd have asked to borrow one overnight. However, the Tech SH-AWD are still in relatively short supply on West Coast/SW and Advance SH-AWD are very rare. Brand loyalty isn't what it used to be.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Trust me when I say this, I really WANTED to like this car. The quality and execution of the vehicle is poor, both in materials and workmanship. The drive is great, handling/powertrain superb, but all the other details are poorly executed from the touch screen interface, to the nav, to the interior materials, etc.
Sounds to me like possible problems with first run production off of a new assembly plant in Alabama which was changed from Ontario, CAN.

We will probably wait for second year production for the bugs to be worked out before we trade in our trouble free 2008 MDX Tech.

As for the touch screen interface - all the similar myfordtouch, cadillac cue, etc are being widely panned also.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

I agree. Also, I am not following the logic here for vegas, you come on and post after post complaining about this that and the other thing, the errors on the screen look like real issues, you should be spending the time on the phone with Acura rather than ranting and raving. One thing to share you experience, and another to keep on and on about it - you are only one person with one car. In my experience Acura has been very quick to respond to any questions or concerns that I have had over the phone, whether it was dealing with the dealership or the corporate headquarters. Call them and spend some time on the phone. You may have just had bad luck, and for that I do feel bad for you. At the same time, your experience does not translate to everyone else for this model.

I also completely disagree with your statement about the quality of the materials as I have experience with the 2G model as well. The leather and seats are very comfortable and I am picky when it comes to quality. I know quality when I see it, touch it, and sit in it and there is no doubt that a lemon free 3G MDX has great quality. I was not an acura fan, until now, and now I am. Vegas - sorry for your bad luck and better luck next time.

Thank you
SkylineUSA (09-30-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Vegas_TL04, how is your replacement car deal coming along ?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
a typical Acura enthusiast's reaction, nothing related with the usual logic. Eager expects its outcoming, feels some dispointed when see the real car, but still buy one, when bad aspects happen and felt everyday, then anger will burst out. But, still acura will possess one part of our heart, something we recall it from 3G TL and 2G MDX. But, quality always is the base for the love.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by prima77
I agree. Also, I am not following the logic here for vegas, you come on and post after post complaining about this that and the other thing, the errors on the screen look like real issues, you should be spending the time on the phone with Acura rather than ranting and raving. One thing to share you experience, and another to keep on and on about it - you are only one person with one car. In my experience Acura has been very quick to respond to any questions or concerns that I have had over the phone, whether it was dealing with the dealership or the corporate headquarters. Call them and spend some time on the phone. You may have just had bad luck, and for that I do feel bad for you. At the same time, your experience does not translate to everyone else for this model.

I also completely disagree with your statement about the quality of the materials as I have experience with the 2G model as well. The leather and seats are very comfortable and I am picky when it comes to quality. I know quality when I see it, touch it, and sit in it and there is no doubt that a lemon free 3G MDX has great quality. I was not an acura fan, until now, and now I am. Vegas - sorry for your bad luck and better luck next time.

Thank you
I am a good multi-tasker, so it doesn't take me long to type up a 5 minute post. It concerns me that the people that have "trouble-free" 3G MDX's are so quick to criticize others who don't. Remember, I'm NOT the only one. I enjoy engaging in automotive discussion as an enthusiast. I apologize that you feel I'm ranting and raving too much. I guess it could be said that I should go and criticize others who are just in love with their 3G MDX and have no problems and go on and on about their love affair. Instead, I wish them good luck and am genuinely very happy to hear this. I have been on this forum since 2004. I rarely post but read alot. I have given both praise and criticism for this vehicle. There are many people on this site that; while content with their Acura, long for more. Many of them purchased because of brand loyalty and trust. There are countless numbers of 3G TL owners that purchased the 4G but just aren't as happy with the direction Acura took with it. I wasn't either. I vote my dissatisfaction by selling the car and buying something else. I appreciate your empathy for the problems I've experienced. I have on good word from my service department that they are very frustrated with the level of problems they are experiencing with the 3G. There are two local Acura dealers in my area, but I won't say which one I work closely with because they are good to me and have taken care of me for 13 years. I have an excellent relationship with them from top level down to service and over to sales. Keep in mind perception of quality is subjective, as is beauty. What's excellent quality to you may not be acceptable to me, and vice versa. I don't expect them to cover the car in hand-selected ultra high quality semi aniline leather and match the hides (a 'la Rolls Royce). I do expect them to provide soft leather that is comfortable, has well executed seams, and doesn't look like old BMW leatherette. I'm very glad you are happy with your purchase; sincerely, as I wish I were too. I'm envious of your 3G situation and wish you lots of luck.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by seaguy
a typical Acura enthusiast's reaction, nothing related with the usual logic. Eager expects its outcoming, feels some dispointed when see the real car, but still buy one, when bad aspects happen and felt everyday, then anger will burst out. But, still acura will possess one part of our heart, something we recall it from 3G TL and 2G MDX. But, quality always is the base for the love.
This gave me a good chuckle this morning. Thanks and well said.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Sounds to me like possible problems with first run production off of a new assembly plant in Alabama which was changed from Ontario, CAN.

We will probably wait for second year production for the bugs to be worked out before we trade in our trouble free 2008 MDX Tech.

As for the touch screen interface - all the similar myfordtouch, cadillac cue, etc are being widely panned also.
I think waiting for a MY15 would be a good choice. I am glad that Audi, MB, and BMW have not moved to this touchscreen interface system and only the Japanese and Americans are embracing it. I much prefer a central control system and one screen like MMI, iDrive, or COMAND. Out of all the systems I've had over the years, I found the MMI to be the best of these systems. I've heard the myfordtouch is the worst of all of them - though I've never seen or used it as Ford does not appeal to me. Acura pissed dealers off royally with their launch of the MDX. They continually keep pushing out their order allocations and delaying customer orders, they cannot meet demand, and are very slow at responding to dealers. They projected and forecasted the demand of the different variations of the new model incorrectly.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Vegas_TL04, how is your replacement car deal coming along ?
There's been an interesting and tempting development. My dealer's top level mgmt heard I was going to jump ship over to Audi and they were upset as we have a really good and strong relationship. They are offering me a new MY13 2G MDX with all kinds of extras for a very attractive deal. So now I have a big decision to make, and quick. I'm leaning towards going to the new 2G MDX.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been reading this forum for a few years now. Before I purchased my 07 Type S I checked in to see what I was in for if I was to have purchased the used 07. All the bad and good were taken into account along with the fact, unfortunately, that more people will post negatively than positively. It's the negative that we want to share more so than the positive feelings. Venting out our frustrations.

Vegas_TL04, it looks like it's going to work out for you. But you had to speak out about the troubles you were having. It may be quick to send a message about an issue, but it can take a long time to get people to decide on the eventual outcome. I buy from a Japanese manufacturer monthly. Anytime I have issues that need to be dealt with the email I send gets escalated and it takes weeks and sometimes months to get the issue resolved. It seems Japan is less efficient in their bureaucracy than they are in their production plants.

I'm now looking at the purchase of an MDX. I was thinking I would buy an older model, 07 or 08 and save some money. But I can't find that many with low miles that I'd feel comfortable with. So I'm now looking at the 14 MDX. What I like most about it is the mileage. It's the same specs as the 07 Type S. I ran some numbers and over 6 years the savings in fuel would be right around $6,000. Weighing this in I'm now ready to go ahead and test drive the 14 model. I've driven the 2G already and I was happy with the ride (non advance).

What I have read here is that there are some cars that are less perfect than others. I could end up with a lemon, but the chances are very low I feel. Your post has given me some things to check while doing the test drive and before I sign any contracts. The car will have to be perfect before I drive it off the lot as mine.

Thanks!
Vegas_TL04 (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
I've been reading this forum for a few years now. Before I purchased my 07 Type S I checked in to see what I was in for if I was to have purchased the used 07. All the bad and good were taken into account along with the fact, unfortunately, that more people will post negatively than positively. It's the negative that we want to share more so than the positive feelings. Venting out our frustrations.

Vegas_TL04, it looks like it's going to work out for you. But you had to speak out about the troubles you were having. It may be quick to send a message about an issue, but it can take a long time to get people to decide on the eventual outcome. I buy from a Japanese manufacturer monthly. Anytime I have issues that need to be dealt with the email I send gets escalated and it takes weeks and sometimes months to get the issue resolved. It seems Japan is less efficient in their bureaucracy than they are in their production plants.

I'm now looking at the purchase of an MDX. I was thinking I would buy an older model, 07 or 08 and save some money. But I can't find that many with low miles that I'd feel comfortable with. So I'm now looking at the 14 MDX. What I like most about it is the mileage. It's the same specs as the 07 Type S. I ran some numbers and over 6 years the savings in fuel would be right around $6,000. Weighing this in I'm now ready to go ahead and test drive the 14 model. I've driven the 2G already and I was happy with the ride (non advance).

What I have read here is that there are some cars that are less perfect than others. I could end up with a lemon, but the chances are very low I feel. Your post has given me some things to check while doing the test drive and before I sign any contracts. The car will have to be perfect before I drive it off the lot as mine.

Thanks!
Hey there. Thanks a lot for your candid feedback. I agree - people are far more apt in business to send a letter of complaint rather than praise. However, I have provided my dealer plenty of positive feedback over the last 13 years in the form of thank you notes, gifts, outstanding surveys on both sales and service. Believe me when I tell you that the dealers MOST appreciate the positive surveys and letters that make it to corporate. Also, in pursuing a replacement 14 MDX through a buyback or replacement, I feel it will only drag my dealer through the mud. They didn't build or design the car. They are only charged with trying to fix it or maintain it. I feel that escalating things very high at Acura Corporate would somehow penalize them and they have been NOTHING but good to me. Over the years of my patronage there I have formed actual friendships. I know everyone from the GM, to the GSM, to the UCM, to service manager and most sales people. I do not want Acura corporate's mistake of providing me a lemon 3G MDX to come back and harm them. Some would argue that my logic is foolish, and I paid 50K (w/ accessories, etc) and that I should complain to Acura corporate no matter what. Most people don't realize that while the squeekiest gear will get the grease, you damage long term relationship you may need in the long run. My dad always says, never burn a bridge. I don't know what's worse - that BMW has a dedicated department that deals with replacements and buybacks that is efficient, or Acura that doesn't have such a department (to my knowledge) and the process would most likely be long and arduous at best. Pursuing a 14 MDX replacement would get me nothing but another 14 MDX. Maybe I would be happier with the materials and quality of a 3G Advance, but maybe not. It still wouldn't fix my dislike for the touchscreen, lower ride height, lesser sounding ELS system, side profile/wagonish appearance, small/narrow wheels (I won't go aftermarket), etc. I could go down the list but I'll surely be accused of being nothing but a complainer that rants and raves. With that said, I've pulled the trigger on the new 13 MDX they offered me. I don't know if it's such a good idea to jump into the 14 SQ5 as it's a first production run as well, though the 2008 A5 I purchased was a 1st production run and had zero issues. Plus, the SQ5 is a near MSRP vehicle and I'd prefer to wait to get a much better deal. The deal; while confidential on the 2013 MDX, is just too attractive and it keeps me with Acura for a while longer.

And BTW, I had a MY2007 TL-S in carbon bronze 6MT and it was my favorite Acura I've owned, besides my 2012 Advance. One thing to consider, some dealers have NEW 13's remaining in stock tech's and advances. I would highly recommend going that route as they have some remaining dealer cash incentives from the factory and financing/leasing programs still. Whatever route you go; whether it be a new MY13 or MY14 MDX, I hope you get a trouble free experience. Glad that my posts were able to help you. Feel free to contact anytime. Thanks.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 09-26-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the sentiments here...

I sold my 2012 TL Tech, which had milano leather, for a 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech. One of the main things I continue to be disappointed with everytime I look at it is that it doesn't come with milano perforated leather in Tech trims and above. It's kind of disappointing considering the price (49k+). My other main issue is that they blanded out the exterior a bit too much compared to the 2013. With some exterior mods I think I can make it have a little more pizazz. I do think the 2014's proportions are much better than anything new from Acura (besides the TSX). Overall, I am happy with the vehicle.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced

I'd also like to point out that a lot of manufacturers are making little "tweaks" like this to their cars, in which some materials are cheapened up as they attempt to balance out people's expectations and minimum standards for available equipment per trim. We should blame the U.S. government for printing dollars and inflating our money (i.e. making everything more expensive). Surveys may have also shown that people care less about leather quality and more about features like four door intelligent key and rain sensing windshield wipers. Unfortunately if you are not a person that agrees with what features get in which trims, you will have to spend more to get a higher trim. Perhaps that's what they want. The leather isn't as soft as it could be, but I'd imagine that it is incredibly durable. There have already been scenarios where I had to put house remodeling equipment and materials in the vehicle, and have been pleasantly surprised with how scratch and dent resistant everything is. I know it's supposed to be a luxury vehicle, but I feel it's a good balance between almost all aspects of my life. That's why I picked the MDX in the first place.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Swornallegiance
I sold my 2012 TL Tech, which had milano leather, for a 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech. One of the main things I continue to be disappointed with everytime I look at it is that it doesn't come with milano perforated leather in Tech trims and above. It's kind of disappointing considering the price (49k+). My other main issue is that they blanded out the exterior a bit too much compared to the 2013. With some exterior mods I think I can make it have a little more pizazz. I do think the 2014's proportions are much better than anything new from Acura (besides the TSX). Overall, I am happy with the vehicle.
I agree. Personally; I don't care what anyone says, leather in a premium/luxury vehicle should be soft to the touch. I know Acura has had complaints in past models about how the leather creases and shows "break-in." It's supposed to because it is supposed to be soft. MB-TEX is softer than the Base/Tech leather in the 2014 and it's a fake material. For me, it wouldn't necessarily even have to be perforated, but I do have to say that it does give it a sportier appearance.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Racer

I'd also like to point out that a lot of manufacturers are making little "tweaks" like this to their cars, in which some materials are cheapened up as they attempt to balance out people's expectations and minimum standards for available equipment per trim. We should blame the U.S. government for printing dollars and inflating our money (i.e. making everything more expensive). Surveys may have also shown that people care less about leather quality and more about features like four door intelligent key and rain sensing windshield wipers. Unfortunately if you are not a person that agrees with what features get in which trims, you will have to spend more to get a higher trim. Perhaps that's what they want. The leather isn't as soft as it could be, but I'd imagine that it is incredibly durable. There have already been scenarios where I had to put house remodeling equipment and materials in the vehicle, and have been pleasantly surprised with how scratch and dent resistant everything is. I know it's supposed to be a luxury vehicle, but I feel it's a good balance between almost all aspects of my life. That's why I picked the MDX in the first place.
The problem with selecting the Top Trim level of any luxury vehicle is it is packed full of options that are never returned during resale. The only item now-a-days that gives you any added value at trade in is navigation. You get about 1-2K back and that's it. Wheels, ACC, LKAS, TV's, upgraded suspensions, CMBS, upgraded sound systems yield no trade in value. I learned this the hard way. When I traded my 2012 Advance in for the 2014 Tech AWD, all dealers based the value off of what was going through auction recently. Advances are somewhat rare. None had gone through auction recently when I traded. I had the 12 Advance valued at CarMax, MB, Audi, and Acura. Acura came in the highest but it was only 35k. When you take a base 2014 MDX SHAWD at 45,200, and add an over $12K option package to it to make it $57,400 the resale is not going to be good. Another thing that hurts resale value is when a car is missing something the buyer would expect (such as an auto transmission). I always hated when I traded my stick Acuras in as you take a bigger hit because 99% of Acura buyers want an auto. The other thing that hurts is high miles and bad color combos. The advance without entertainment in the MY2010-2013 was about 7K more. With this new $12k advance on the MY2014, people are going to be in for a surprise at time of trade-in. Especially those who paid sticker price or close to sticker. So, the lesson I learned is that I purchased a 2013 MDX Tech. Will I miss the CMBS? no. Will I miss the ventilated seats - a little in Vegas area summers. I will only miss the suspension out of my 12 Advance. But for the price difference and resale; since I flip cars often, it makes the best financial sense to get the middle of the road package.

I understand what you are saying about the durability of this new "leather" in the base and tech. But if I am going to haul something around that could damage or stain the seats in a luxury SUV, I am going to borrow a friend's truck, or have whatever it is delivered. But that's just me. Glad to hear you are happy with your 14! Best of luck.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The problem with selecting the Top Trim level of any luxury vehicle is it is packed full of options that are never returned during resale..
So why do you flip cars so often? It seems that if you buy the car that you desire with all of the options, you then trade it in for a car that is not as desirable and with less options just because you want a better trade in value.

You could save thousands of dollars, have a better car and reduce all of the new car bugs and worries by changing your purchasing policy.

I do not assume that a newer car is better than the older one, it seems to me that the 2014 has proved this. An MMC gen 2 Advance against a gen 3 Tech is a no brainer - the gen 2 wins.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
So why do you flip cars so often? It seems that if you buy the car that you desire with all of the options, you then trade it in for a car that is not as desirable and with less options just because you want a better trade in value.

You could save thousands of dollars, have a better car and reduce all of the new car bugs and worries by changing your purchasing policy.

I do not assume that a newer car is better than the older one, it seems to me that the 2014 has proved this. An MMC gen 2 Advance against a gen 3 Tech is a no brainer - the gen 2 wins.
I originally wanted a 14 Advance SH-AWD, but when I saw the ridiculous price tag ($58k) and that I was forced to have a TV system and pay for what I'd never use, I crossed it off the list. I'm sorry; I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I'm not paying +$60K for an Acura. Part of the reason of purchasing an Acura is the value, resale value, cost of ownership, etc. They are great cars in general, but I just have a price ceiling when it comes to a particular brand/item. The 2010-2013 Advance was stretching it at ~$53K.

In general, I can't really defend why I buy so many cars - it's a disease.
Sometimes I get bored, sometimes I just want something new. Getting the 2013 Tech will put me in a better position for when MY15 rolls out. It should be interesting to see the new 15 Q7. Plus, I still have my eyes closely fixed on the SQ5. After a full model year, better deals will be had as well. Plus, the MY15 ML should be getting a refresh. So I'll stick with the 13 tech until then. Poor me, right?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
^^
maybe you should get a job as a valet, that way you could drive a new car every three minutes!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
^^
maybe you should get a job as a valet, that way you could drive a new car every three minutes!
no thanks. I already have a great job.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
10th Gear

So I'll stick with the 13 tech until then. Poor me, right?
All this complaints just to justify and conclude that you'll have to stick with your 2013 model? Why don't you just honestly saying that you can't afford a vehicle change outright. I know...it feels like you're being hosed for buying a 2013 model just last year and now it's already dated 'cuz of this model change
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PhiQuanTu
All this complaints just to justify and conclude that you'll have to stick with your 2013 model? Why don't you just honestly saying that you can't afford a vehicle change outright. I know...it feels like you're being hosed for buying a 2013 model just last year and now it's already dated 'cuz of this model change
If you had read and comprehended any of the aforementioned, I did purchase and do own a 14. I'm replacing the 14 in favor of a new 13. Not that I really need to justify my finances to you or anyone else, I assure you I could buy one of every model Acura offers and still be just fine with cash flow. I purchased Acuras in the past due to my perceived value for the money and because of good quality automobiles, fair service rates, and exceptional dealer relationship. Take the good value for the money and good quality out of the equation, and I will find myself shopping another brand. Of course, this is my opinion, and no one has to agree to it. Everyone is entitled to their own. There are other vehicles in the 50-60K range I have shopped, and others in the $70k-100K range. However, normally those $70-100k have horrible depreciation, horrible reliability, and/or cost of ownership and related services. I would absolutely love to go purchase the 14 Range Rover. But I depend on my vehicles to get me to where I am going without re-routing every other week to the service department. Range Rover has come a long way since Tata's ownership, but they still have a long way to go improving reliability and value.

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 10-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Just read through the entire thread and it's a bummer that you are experiencing those issues especially with your past record with Acura vehicles.

This is my third. I just purchased the 2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance Tech, Black on Black. I checked my doors and panels for what you described regarding the creases not matching and I was pleased that mine all lined up. No issues either and I'm pleased with the handling, how quiet the ride is and the excellent gas mileage. I also went with the 19" upgraded wheels which really look nice with the accented chrome trims especially on a black vehicle.

I love the new AcuraLink Connect. I can see all the diagnostic information on my iPhone and control it remotely. I'm a Techie and like all the extra features on the Advance Tech Package.

Luis
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Vegas_TL04, if you like the '13 MDX more than the '14, then go for it. You don't have to justify your choice to anyone else besides yourself.

Everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes. What you like most, may be hated by others, and vice versa.

After all, you're the one that has to sit and drive in the vehicle everyday.

Like I said before, life is short. There is nothing more worse in life than to force yourself everyday to drive around in a vehicle that you hate so much.
Vegas_TL04 (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced

As an Acura fan...

I think it's fair that Vegas complains about the missteps of the brand. There are plenty of people who trade out vehicles and honestly have some of the best/most accurate opinions about what the automaker has done for the better and for the worse. The TSX, a $30k car, has better leather than most MDX trims. There are probably a multitude of vehicles that have softer leather for less money. Judging from purely a product standpoint, I think they made a mistake here. My Accord nearly matches the MDX for interior material quality. I am not dissatisfied with the MDX, nor did I overlook these details when I purchased it... My loyalty to the brand is what made me decide to purchase it anyways, despite feeling somewhat ripped off.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Luisito
Just read through the entire thread and it's a bummer that you are experiencing those issues especially with your past record with Acura vehicles.

This is my third. I just purchased the 2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance Tech, Black on Black. I checked my doors and panels for what you described regarding the creases not matching and I was pleased that mine all lined up. No issues either and I'm pleased with the handling, how quiet the ride is and the excellent gas mileage. I also went with the 19" upgraded wheels which really look nice with the accented chrome trims especially on a black vehicle.

I love the new AcuraLink Connect. I can see all the diagnostic information on my iPhone and control it remotely. I'm a Techie and like all the extra features on the Advance Tech Package.

Luis
Great to hear that you are happy with your purchase and have not experienced any issues. I agree the AcuraLink feature is pretty slick, but the likelihood that I would never really ever use it (except to send an address to the nav) past the initial downloading of the app and playing with it for a while. Once the newness of AcuraLink wears off, I don't see myself using it. The ride is excellent as is the handling and quietness.Congrats on your purchase and I wish you many happy, trouble-free miles.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced

If you had read and comprehended any of the aforementioned, I did purchase and do own a 14. I'm replacing the 14 in favor of a new 13. Not that I really need to justify my finances to you or anyone else, I assure you I could buy one of every model Acura offers and still be just fine with cash flow. I purchased Acuras in the past due to my perceived value for the money and because of good quality automobiles, fair service rates, and exceptional dealer relationship. Take the good value for the money and good quality out of the equation, and I will find myself shopping another brand. Of course, this is my opinion, and no one has to agree to it. Everyone is entitled to their own. There are other vehicles in the 50-60K range I have shopped, and others in the $70k-100K range. However, normally those $70-100k have horrible depreciation, horrible reliability, and/or cost of ownership and related services. I would absolutely love to go purchase the 14 Range Rover. But I depend on my vehicles to get me to where I am going without re-routing every other week to the service department. Range Rover has come a long way since Tata's ownership, but they still have a long way to go improving reliability and value.
I do not have any panel gap problems, but I have had some issues with rattles and interior trim not lining up perfectly (causing weird wind noise issues). There is also some creaking sounds from the door arm rests with some weight. Combine these with the cheap leather and no dual exhaust, and I am starting to see a trend I do not like. It reduces my own perceived notion of quality and value in the Acura brand, and I'm sure it doesn't look good to people who cross shop more than I do. If you have had past experiences with Honda/Acura vehicles, you are right to judge their latest efforts.

By the way, I have the 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech, Black on Black.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Racer

I think it's fair that Vegas complains about the missteps of the brand. There are plenty of people who trade out vehicles and honestly have some of the best/most accurate opinions about what the automaker has done for the better and for the worse. The TSX, a $30k car, has better leather than most MDX trims. There are probably a multitude of vehicles that have softer leather for less money. Judging from purely a product standpoint, I think they made a mistake here. My Accord nearly matches the MDX for interior material quality. I am not dissatisfied with the MDX, nor did I overlook these details when I purchased it... My loyalty to the brand is what made me decide to purchase it anyways, despite feeling somewhat ripped off.
Thanks...and I couldn't agree more. Some people do not care to have a "luxury" car and only want a car to get them from A to B. Some people will spend tens of thousands of dollars traveling the world and living in a rented apartment. Some people choose to drive a luxury car and live in a modest home. Others choose to have a somewhat lavish home and see purchasing cars as a depreciating dent in their wallet. To each his own. I have a couple different friends that are loyal to MB. One of them buys a new 100K benz every six months. Why? Because he can and enjoys the cars. Of course he takes it in the A every time he trades. Does this bother him? No. He works hard and is very successful. He treats himself to a new car because he's an enthusiast and he loves cars. I don't judge him, and others shouldn't either.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced

I agree. Personally; I don't care what anyone says, leather in a premium/luxury vehicle should be soft to the touch. I know Acura has had complaints in past models about how the leather creases and shows "break-in." It's supposed to because it is supposed to be soft. MB-TEX is softer than the Base/Tech leather in the 2014 and it's a fake material. For me, it wouldn't necessarily even have to be perforated, but I do have to say that it does give it a sportier appearance.
Agreed. I think the leather in my 2013 Accord is softer. It's definitely a sticking disappointment in the MDX.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced

The problem with selecting the Top Trim level of any luxury vehicle is it is packed full of options that are never returned during resale. The only item now-a-days that gives you any added value at trade in is navigation. You get about 1-2K back and that's it. Wheels, ACC, LKAS, TV's, upgraded suspensions, CMBS, upgraded sound systems yield no trade in value. I learned this the hard way. When I traded my 2012 Advance in for the 2014 Tech AWD, all dealers based the value off of what was going through auction recently. Advances are somewhat rare. None had gone through auction recently when I traded. I had the 12 Advance valued at CarMax, MB, Audi, and Acura. Acura came in the highest but it was only 35k. When you take a base 2014 MDX SHAWD at 45,200, and add an over $12K option package to it to make it $57,400 the resale is not going to be good. Another thing that hurts resale value is when a car is missing something the buyer would expect (such as an auto transmission). I always hated when I traded my stick Acuras in as you take a bigger hit because 99% of Acura buyers want an auto. The other thing that hurts is high miles and bad color combos. The advance without entertainment in the MY2010-2013 was about 7K more. With this new $12k advance on the MY2014, people are going to be in for a surprise at time of trade-in. Especially those who paid sticker price or close to sticker. So, the lesson I learned is that I purchased a 2013 MDX Tech. Will I miss the CMBS? no. Will I miss the ventilated seats - a little in Vegas area summers. I will only miss the suspension out of my 12 Advance. But for the price difference and resale; since I flip cars often, it makes the best financial sense to get the middle of the road package.

I understand what you are saying about the durability of this new "leather" in the base and tech. But if I am going to haul something around that could damage or stain the seats in a luxury SUV, I am going to borrow a friend's truck, or have whatever it is delivered. But that's just me. Glad to hear you are happy with your 14! Best of luck.
No, I totally agree. I don't really haul around anything that I would need a truck for (not yet at least). Agree completely about the trims. I do not agree with their cost model. The base vehicle should have good (real) leather, and the higher trims could have something even better. The starting price is simply too high not to have real leather in my opinion. It also starts to chip away the whole moniker of the brand (Smart Luxury, i.e. value). The latest MDX follows more of a Mercedes nickel and dime price structure.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Racer

I do not have any panel gap problems, but I have had some issues with rattles and interior trim not lining up perfectly (causing weird wind noise issues). There is also some creaking sounds from the door arm rests with some weight. Combine these with the cheap leather and no dual exhaust, and I am starting to see a trend I do not like. It reduces my own perceived notion of quality and value in the Acura brand, and I'm sure it doesn't look good to people who cross shop more than I do. If you have had past experiences with Honda/Acura vehicles, you are right to judge their latest efforts.
Well. I haven't bothered to post any of the new problems I've had because I figured I would get flamed, or be labeled as nothing but a complainer, etc. I drive the Interstate 15 frequently. You easily reach speeds of 85 on rural stretches. Depending on the wind direction and speed, I get these horrible snapping sounds coming from both windows, and violent rattles. Both front door panels rattle terribly. When you go look at a Q5, Q7, ML (with leather), etc, the materials appear richer. The materials used are real. I used to be SUCH a fan of Acura. I'm just so disappointed that they have catered to the masses. I feel that if a new redesign is created, they shouldn't take AWAY features and materials previous buyers are used to. They should only add/improve. I still think it's wholly ridiculous that only Canadian buyers get surround camera, headlight washers, 360 Camera, etc. Wasn't the MDX designed for the US market? Just doesn't make sense why they don't offer these items in the USA and cheapen the materials in the USA spec packages. Fortunately I pick up my new 13 MDX today and I cannot wait. I talked my mom and sister into buying the 14 MDX AWD Tech at the same time when I did. Fortunately they haven't had any problems, except for my mom's having intermittent AcuraLink messages the 12V battery is failing. My mom traded in her 2011 RX450h AWD and thinks the 14 MDX is way better. So, to each his own, right?

Last edited by Vegas_TL04; 10-02-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Racer

No, I totally agree. I don't really haul around anything that I would need a truck for (not yet at least). Agree completely about the trims. I do not agree with their cost model. The base vehicle should have good (real) leather, and the higher trims could have something even better. The starting price is simply too high not to have real leather in my opinion. It also starts to chip away the whole moniker of the brand (Smart Luxury, i.e. value). The latest MDX follows more of a Mercedes nickel and dime price structure.
So true! Bean counters ruled the roost in this re-design.

Quick Reply: Couldn't be MORE displeased with the new 14 MDX